Demons Within Pt. 02: 'Niki'

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"South a way," Blondie replied casually taking on a completely different persona to the one Niki was used to, "Been training an apprentice."

Sharp blue eyes peered out from behind the bush of red whiskers and Niki, determined to do Blondie proud stared back trying to keep all her emotions closeted in her very best Blondie emulation.

"She's carrying her own bodyweight in steel," the bearded man said finally as he turned back to Blondie, "I thought light and swift was your go to."

"Times change," Blondie replied flatly, "And she's stronger then she looks."

A little warmth touched Niki's cheeks, partly from Blondie's compliment and partly from being spoken about in the third person. "I can hear you and I do have a name," Nike butted in, her embarrassment fuelling her irritation.

"Ah yes, there it is," Red beard chuckled loudly, "That's the fire I was looking for." A large hand jutted out towards Niki. "Quinn."

"Niki." She replied, placing her small hand in the giant one, half expecting to have the life squashed out of it.

"Good to meet you Niki," Quinn greeted as he shook her hand far gentler than anticipated, "I'm glad Blondie found someone to buddy up with. Too much time on the road alone can send you crazy."

"So, is Bruce still around?" Blondie asked as they walked through the gate and into Garrisonville.

"Bruce died a few months back," Quinn informed them. Even though Niki had no idea who Bruce was, she saw Blondie pause for half a second in her walk. Whomever he was, Blondie knew him well, she assumed.

"Reavers?" Blondie's question was edged with a cold fury that sent a shiver up Niki's spine.

Quinn gave a short laugh that eased the coldness stemming from Blondie. "No. The damn fool fell off the wall after getting drunk one night."

"That doesn't surprise me. He always liked a drink." A subdued snort escaped from Blondie.

The sound made Niki gape as she was sure that had been the closest thing to a laugh Blondie had ever made. Once more she glanced sideways at Blondie. For over four years she had lived with her and this was like seeing a different person entirely. Niki began to wonder which one the genuine Blondie was or if there were any more personas hiding away.

Quinn had offered to put them up in his house as he had a spare room which would save them bartering for a room at one of the Inns. As they traversed the main thoroughfare, Niki glanced around, partly to be aware of her surroundings as Blondie had taught her, and partly to take in the experience.

Some of the original buildings were still standing, and in the places where they had collapsed, the debris had been cleared away and new dwellings had been built, utilising salvaged materials.

Every building had its own wind turbine and solar panels to generate electricity, which in turn were linked to lamps that lined the streets. The streets themselves were flat and even, made from compacted stone and gravel. People were stood outside buildings talking easily, even laughing out loud at in some cases. The atmosphere felt relaxed and for the first time since her parents death, Niki felt a little tension ease out of her body.

The atmosphere wasn't the only thing that Niki noticed as they made their way towards Quinn's home, more than a few people acknowledged Blondie as they passed by, nodding or calling out her name. Walking in the shadow of Blondie's notoriety, Niki felt herself walk a little taller, proud to be the apprentice of a prominent Hunter like Blondie. She even went as far as allowing a little swagger to enter her stride, wondering if there would come a time when people called out her name and waved.

Quinn's home was on the ground floor of one of the original buildings, a three-story structure that he informed them was kept for members of the peacekeeper force. The apartment was made up from one main room that held a wood burning stove, several cupboards and a wooden table, along with a handful of chairs that looked homemade but comfortable. There were two bedrooms, both containing double beds, something that made Niki blush a little, and a small bathroom. Quinn explained how pumps powered by electricity fed water through the house, allowing the stove to heat the pipes and the water in them. An idea that Niki liked greatly and immediately began to work out how to reroute their own plumbing.

For all his size and gruff manner, Quinn was surprisingly domesticated, and the house was spotlessly clean. He also cooked them a decent meal on the stove, a mix of fresh onions and mushrooms fried in the juices of thick slabs of meat he called gammon, which according to him was fresh that morning. Niki had never heard of a Gammon but didn't want to show her ignorance so stayed silent. It tasted heavenly any way, so the point was moot.

After they had eaten, Quinn had poured them glasses of a clear liquid he called Shine. The name made Niki assume it was a type of polish, which was what it tasted like. Quinn and Blondie, however, tossed several glasses of the liquid back, coughing at the ferociousness of the spirit. Niki managed to drink one glass by sipping it gently. Even so, it still burned a path all the way to her stomach where it warmed her insides pleasantly. After that things got a little blurry for Niki, she knew Quinn was telling them a story about something but for some reason none of the words made sense. All Niki could really focus on was the warm feeling in the pit of her stomach, which was beginning to feel fairly nice, especially as it reminded her of how she felt when thinking about Blondie.

At some point in the evening, Niki was half aware of someone lifting her up and carrying her in to the bedroom, laying her out on the bed and pulling a blanket over her. It may have been her imagination, but she thought she felt a soft kiss on her forehead before sleep enveloped her.

12