Detachment Ch. 06-10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He squints at me, his mouth twitching like he's suppressing a smile. "It's really no problem, Kylie. At the end of the day, it's a tax write-off."

"I know. But sharing a room with you isn't all bad. I mean, I guess you do snore a bit, but I can deal." Smirking, I lean into him.

He nudges me. "Isn't it a little... frowned upon for us to share a room if... if we don't have to?"

I stop abruptly, then he does too. "I don't think I can sleep alone right now..."

He flashes me a pitiful look. He wants me sleeping next to him, I know he does. "Oh... Listen, I'm fine sharing a room with you, if that's absolutely what you want."

"I think we proved we could share a bed without crossing any lines... or pillow-sized barriers."

He shakes his head. "Yes, we did, but that's not what I'm worried about. I just don't want you going back home and having to lie about the sleeping arrangements, you know?"

I rub my neck. "Good point..."

He nods, then looks over at the concierge desk. "So... what do you want to do?"

I sigh. "Get the room... If I can't sleep, I'm knocking on your door."

"You don't have to knock if you have a key..."

I roll my eyes. "Forgive me for being courteous... Oh, and if I do come to your room tonight, I'll work for free a few days to cover the cost of the room." I give a half-hearted smile.

He smirks. "Deal."

Since the non-fiction workshop is in another hour, we head over to New York Central for lunch. A minute after we get a table, that Senna girl arrives. Last night, he mentioned that she was his type, and since his type look-wise is pretty with long hair, it's clear he wasn't lying. Her exotic Indian and maybe Middle Eastern features are probably what has him so captivated while they chat about her book and then about his. He barely looks my way until the food arrives...

The two authors gab on over lunch like they've known each other for years while I'm kind of just here. If those two already don't have enough in common, we learn that, in her day job, she's a researcher associate at some lab in the city. Thus begins another topic I can't contribute to... Marcus, being the thoughtful man that he is, does his best to try to include me in the conversation, but my input is short and then I wind up fading into the background the second I stop talking.

Marcus is all smiles. And it's clear that Senna's attracted to him by the way she keeps batting her lashes, brushing her hair back, and giggling all adorably at every joke. It's taking a lot for me not to mock her stupid laugh...

The thought of her hanging around all weekend makes my stomach flip, and I am not going to be happy playing third wheel all friggin' weekend...

***

Thankfully, Senna didn't sign up for the non-fiction workshop with us, so she breaks away when we get to the conference room for our event. Before we walk in, Marcus gives me the option to skip out on it if I want to go relax in the room. Since being alone doesn't seem appealing right now, I simply tell him that I don't mind learning something new.

As expected, that class is less entertaining than the last one, but informative. The best thing about it is that we get to network a bit with a few freelance ghostwriters at the end of it, which is great because Marcus is considering outsourcing for his future non-fiction projects. So, for the ones with good credentials who he seems to like, I make sure to get their contact info for him. As we're walking out of the conference room, he thanks me for doing that without him even having to ask.

After that, it's on to another craft workshop, this time about fictional character development. By the time it's over, it's 3:50 p.m., so we head over to the hall where they're about to host Collab Write event and wait outside for Senna.

The social event begins with a couple of icebreakers that reminds me of the first week of moving into my college dorm. After that, everyone forms groups with the people they clicked with then we're asked to plot and write a short story. It's actually pretty fun. It's been a while since I've done anything creative, aside from Drunk Pottery with my mom and sister.

When it's all over, Marcus and I head back to the room to freshen up, then we change into business casual attire before returning downstairs to reconvene with Senna and the pack of writers we bonded with during the social. Now it's on to the Manhattan Ballroom for the cocktail party.

The low-cut, tight purple dress Senna's wearing acts like a magnet for the attention of the guys in our group. But she's not paying any of them any mind as there's only one person who she's fixated on. Every time I look away from the authors that I'm trying to pitch our marketing services to, I find her all up under him like she's trapped in his orbit or something. Not only am I annoyed that she's siphoning all of his attention, I am also starting to feel isolated and left out in the cold...

With my fourth drink in one hand and Marcus's third beer in the other, I return to the table that our posse has claimed, taking a quick sip of my Moscow Mule to chase the shot I just took.

"Thanks, Kylie!" Marcus says, taking the beer from me. "I was just getting ready to grab another one!"

I lean against him, looking up into his eyes. "Noticed you were getting low so I thought I'd take care of you! I mean, take care of that for you."

He laughs, raising his bottle to me. "I know what you meant." We cheers. "Thanks." He shifts in his seat, turning to me. "Are you having a good time? Seems like you were up mingling for a while."

"I was rounding up some prospective clients for ya!" I say, poking his arm. "Collected a bunch of business cards and email addresses for you!"

"Well, thank you so very much! You're the best! You don't know how much I appreciate everything you're doing for me." He sips some beer. "But take a break and relax, would ya? I feel like I haven't talked to you all night."

"It's fine, you were busy," I say, subtly side-eyeing Senna. "This is your night to network. It's not like we don't talk every day..."

He scowls a bit, placing his hand on my arm. "Hey... I'm never too busy for you, Kylie, okay?" he says, raising a brow.

The moment I catch Senna looking at me, I lay my head on his shoulder and gaze up into his eyes with the dreamiest of looks, batting my lashes. "Promise?"

He touches his cheek to the top of my head for a moment. "Promise."

"Good."

"And, hey, if you're getting tired and you want to go, we can go, okay?"

I nod once. "Sounds good."

***

By the time dinner is over, my bladder is on the verge of bursting.

"I'll be right back," I whisper to Marcus as I rise from my seat, wincing from the pain below.

"Alrighty," he says, flashing me a smile before turning back to Senna.

This is what happens when you'd rather hold your urine all evening because you're too worried what'd happen with your friend and his new lady friend while you're gone for a few minutes. What is wrong with me tonight?

Somehow, I keep myself from speed-walking like a maniac until I'm through the ballroom doors. Thankfully, the bathroom is only a few feet down the hall. More importantly, there's one unoccupied stall at the end of the row. If there wasn't... Well, I don't know if I could've waited.

Once the toilet seat is covered with tissue, I sit down faster than I've ever sat before and let 'er rip. As relief washes over, panic sets in from the drunk thought that creeps into my head—the thought that Senna is going to take advantage of my absence and whisk Marcus up to her room. That thought makes me tense... Nervous... So much so that I feverishly wash my hands and rush back like I left my purse open on the table with thousands of dollars sticking out of it.

Halfway to the table, I freeze and my eyes go wide when I realize that they're both gone. Oh no... My heart pounds in my chest as my head snaps left then right then left again. When I don't see them at the bar, I hurry over to the sci-fi author at our table.

"Hey," I say to Chris Holloway, leaning over the chair beside him. "Where's did Marcus and Senna go?" My words come out all breathy, like I just ran a mile.

He grins at me, which means I must look like a crazy person. "They said they were going over to the bar."

I turn then crane my neck in that direction again, leaning left and right to look past the crowd and all the people walking by. There they are, I think, sighing in relief.

"Thanks, Chris!" I say before powerwalking over to the bar. Pretty much as soon as I leave the table, I almost collide with a waitress. "Oops! Sorry!"

What is effing wrong with me?

I detour over to the hors d'oeuvres table to check for the bacon-wrapped scallops that Marcus was going crazy over earlier. There's a few left, so I grab a napkin and scoop up every last one.

Right as I'm approaching them, Senna starts laughing about something then playfully pushes Marcus's shoulder. That's when he sees me in his peripheries, turning to me with a smile, his gaze briefly leaving my eyes to scan me from top to bottom before locking onto my cupped hand.

That's right, I know you like what you see. Whenever we all go out, the more he drinks the more his eyes stray over to me. I notice it only because, when I drink, my gaze seems to wander across the room to him more often than I'd like to admit.

"I snagged the last five," I say, popping a bacon-wrapped scallop into my mouth. Now I hold one out to Marcus. "Open up!"

Squinting, he eyes me curiously before smiling and opening his mouth. My thumb and index finger drag across his bottom lip as I place the food onto his tongue. Then, while holding his gaze and trying to muster a look a tier below fuck-me-eyes, I suck my fingers clean.

"How late are you guys planning on hanging out tonight?" asks Senna.

I hold Marcus's shoulder as I cock my leg back and adjust my shoe. "I'm not too beat yet, so I'll turn in when he does. You look pretty tired though, Senna... Thinking of calling it an early night?"

Gosh, I can't remember the last time I was this catty... High school?

Her brow arches as she brings her chin back to her neck. "Do I really? I feel like I can party all night!"

Marcus searches my eyes. He doesn't say anything, though. He just raises his eyebrows and tilts his head down. You good? Is what I think he's asking.

I put another bacon-wrapped scallop in his mouth and he takes it without hesitation. Then I give him a wink.

He grins so hard that he damn near blushes.

The liquor has me all loosened up now, so I assert myself a bit more as the night carries on, dominating the conversation by bringing up things that have happened the last few weeks—funny moments that happened when we used to work together. I do my best to dial back the cattiness, though. Coming off as a bitch in front of Marcus is not an option.

The tug of war over his attention reaches its climax as the author's cocktail party starts wrapping up at nine.

"After party at the Lounge?" Chuck Aldrin, fantasy author, asks, looking at Senna.

Senna nods. "I'm down for a few more! What about you two?"

Yawning, I turn away, pretending I don't want Marcus to notice.

"If I don't stop now, I'll end up waking up drunk tomorrow," Marcus says. "Unless you want to hang a bit longer, Kylie..."

"Me drinking any more is a bad idea." I smile knowingly at him. "You know how I get."

"Oh, I know." He smirks back. "Alright, goodnight, everyone! 'Twas a dope time! See you guys at breakfast tomorrow!"

The friendly authors wish us goodnight as we break off from the pack towards the elevator bank.

Back at his room, we chat while we hydrate for a bit. About ten minutes later, Marcus takes my luggage then escorts me two floors down and to the other end of the building. The key doesn't work the first three times I try it. I'm hoping that it's because they didn't activate it and not because I'm too drunk to work it, because I just want to be in bed with him again tonight...

Unfortunately, he gets it to work on his second try.

I click on the light and hold the door open so he can wheel my suitcase in. "You know this means no one is going to have coffee waiting for you when you wake up, right?"

He lifts my belongings up onto the couch. "I'm hoping I can beat you awake so I can return the favor tomorrow."

"Aw," I say, rubbing his arm. "You're too sweet."

"I try..." He looks around the room. "Want me to stay until you fall asleep?"

I want you to stay. Period. I step closer.

"If I ask you to, we'll just stay up talking all night. Again... Then you'll end up falling asleep here, which defeats the purpose of getting a second room..."

His head bobbles. "You're not wrong... But that doesn't sound like a bad night to me."

My heart's aflutter now. I tug at his sleeve, tugging him closer. "No. It. Wouldn't..." I lean in, staring up into those caring hazel eyes as I wrap one arm around his waist while the other slinks behind his neck.

To my surprise, he embraces me then pulls me in close.

My fingers play across his back and neck, up and down, caressing him slowly. His chest heaves as he squeezes me tighter, his heart knocking hard and fast against my breast. A shiver runs through me as his thumbs caress my back and ribs.

As the heat builds between us, I pull back and meet his gaze only for my eyes to wander to those plump lips for a brief moment.

"Kylie," he whispers, his scotch-scented breath blowing against my mouth that's maybe an inch from his.

The thought of his lips against mine makes my skin tingle and sizzle. Travis is a horrible husband... Why am I worried about being a bad wife? Down below, things are getting damp. It's not like I wasn't a bad fiancé once...

I close my eyes and lean in.

Chapter 9

Marcus

Friday Night

Her lips on mine—there isn't anything I'd want more right now than that... Shit, I've wanted it for quite some time. And, though I've suspected that she might have started crushing on me recently, I wasn't completely sure until about thirty seconds ago.

I want her so bad that it hurts. This isn't lust. This isn't a crush. I don't think it has been a crush for a long, long while.

I've got it bad for her. Real bad. And that's not good... because she's married. Married to one of my best friends... A guy who doesn't deserve her...

I close my eyes and lean a bit closer. My nose brushes hers as I tilt my head. Then I freeze, my lips barely millimeters from hers. I breathe her in as her chest heaves against me. If I don't stop now, primal instinct will force my lips to act on their own.

"Kylie," I speak again, softer this time. "We're drunk, Kylie." I pull back. "We're drunk. And you're going through some stuff right now... This is not a good idea..."

She bites her bottom lip. "Stop talking," she whispers, leaning closer. Her breathing quickens, her nails dig into my back.

I pull away and she immediately gets all pouty. One hand remains on her waist while the other rubs her arm. "Hey, don't get upset."

"How can I not be?" she shouts. "If I want this and you don't, then I'm the slut wife that just made a move on her boss who isn't interested!"

"First of all, you're not a slut. Don't you ever say that again," I say sternly, hugging her tightly.

"What else do you call a woman throwing herself at a guy who's not her husband?"

"Hurt, drunk, and confused..."

Her hands squeeze my back, nails pressing into my skin.

"And, for the record, I'm very interested. I want this," I whisper. "More than I'd like to admit to myself... But—"

"But what...?" she says with her mouth against my chest.

"But not like this. Not while you're drunk."

She groans, swatting my back. "Why do you always have to be such a goddamn gentleman all the goddamn time?" She hits me a few more times.

"Because I am. Because I made you a promise the night of your bachelorette party... Because I care about you way too goddamn much to ever let you make a drunk mistake that you might regret in the morning..."

She sniffles as she squeezes me tighter. After holding each other for a long while, she pulls away. "Ugh, fuck! I feel like an idiot..."

"Kylie, you're not an idiot. Stop."

She spins around, turning her back to me. "I'm sorry, Marcus..." Now she walks away.

I follow after her. "There's nothing to apologize for..."

"I shouldn't have—" she starts to say.

"Hey! You're not the only one who wanted—"

Her hand covers my mouth, and it takes everything not to kiss her soft skin. "No more. Okay? Just go... Okay? Please? I need to be alone right now."

I nod and she un-cups my mouth.

Kylie opens the door, palming her face and rubbing her temples with her index finger and thumb.

I give her arm a gentle squeeze. "Good night, Kylie."

"Night..." She closes the door slowly behind me.

Saturday

Kylie doesn't show up at my room the next morning like she said she would. So, I grab the coffee room service just delivered then I head down to her suite. After two soft knocks at her door, she doesn't answer. So, I text her.

Me: Hey, I stopped by to check on ya & bring you some coffee but I guess you're sleeping. I hope you're feeling okay and not super hungover! If you need me, I'll be manning my table at Pitch Fest after the breakfast.

Then I follow up with: And don't worry about last night. We're good. I promise!

Right when I get to the ballroom, the phone clutched in my hand vibrates. It's her, so I step aside and lean against the wall.

Kylie: Morning, Marcus! I just got up. And I know we're good. Is it okay if I skip out on Pitch Fest? I'm a bit hungover and I think I need some time to sort through my thoughts...

Me: Not a problem. Feel better. And take all the time you need. If you need me, I'm only a call and an elevator ride away.

Kylie: Thank you so much for understanding! I'll be there for the banquet and the award ceremony. Okay? :D

Me: Okay!

"Good morning, Party Pooper..." Senna says just as I hit send.

I look up, grinning when I make eye contact. It's an automatic reaction with her. "Good morning to you, Senna. How was the rest of last night?"

"It was okay... I basically had one more drink then got bored and headed up to my room. Wasn't as entertaining without you, funny guy." She looks around. "Where's Kylie?"

"In her room nursing a hangover." I smile.

"I figured... She was getting a bit feisty so I figured she had a few drinks in between the ones we all had together. Those claws were coming out!"

I snicker. "Yeah, sorry. She's not usually like that..."

Senna purses her lips and tilts her head. "Hm. Maybe she doesn't like me... She seemed pretty damn protective over you."

"No, she likes you. It's just... The last few years were rough for me. She watched me suffer through a toxic relationship so she tends to get defensive whenever she sees me vibing with someone she hasn't vetted yet."

She cocks a brow. "Oh... We must have been vibing real hard then. Maybe she saw something we didn't..." A flirty smile follows.

"Maybe... She's observant like that." I smirk. "Come on, I'm hungry."

Senna and I make our plates at the breakfast buffet then join the group from last night at a table near the entrance. Like yesterday, our focus is on each other. There's something about the way that she looks at me. Her wit, intelligence, and sweet, humble, carefree nature aside, there's something about her that I really dig. I think it's because it feels I've known her my whole life. Meeting her reminds me of how I felt after meeting Kylie.