Deviant Empire Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He remembered his curiosity for... that thing that let people enjoy shit. He was not gonna commit to it, but at least... hear them out. A Pharmacy was their next destination. This one was equally impressive as there was a grand selection of things to take pills for. He'd consider the many options later, but for now he asked about the... thing.

"Do you happen to have that medicine that lets people eat waste?" He asked with a surprising level of tone. Was this stuff becoming usual to him?

A nod from the man beyond the counter. This one was just your bog-standard human, dude looking in his thirties, bending down to produce three small bottles. He started pointing to them in order of "power".

"That one gives you a day of doing it. Roughly. Quickest acting, you can enjoy it in a few minutes." A point to the second one. "That one lasts a week. Takes about an hour to kick in, keeps you for a week." And the third. "That one gives you a right month, but it takes a full day to set in. After each one you want to give it twice as much time for your body to recover. If you want something more long term, I would recommend an implant or gene therapy. You can get that done even if you're in recovery. They account for this." A smile. "Many choose to go for good after trying it. So... how much of a commitment you have in mind?"

Will considered the... possibilities. If he did the one for a day, he might enjoy it and hate waiting. He heard nothing about getting an implant here... and did not want to make that commitment yet. The one for a month sounded like quite the investment... but waiting a day might be a bit out. So, the middle ground it was with one week for one hour of waiting. He'd pick out that bottle.

"Uh... out of curiosity... you know how this works? I mean... no offense, but how the hell are we supposed to be able to do this with just some medicine."

The pharmacist quickly took away the other two bottles as the man mulled over his choice. Hearing the question, he gave an answer that was far more explanatory than expected.

"Well, that there is actually medicine against nausea. Blocks any taste, smell, sensation that might cause this, strengthens your stomach and guts... with that on you, you've got no fear of food poisoning. More popular when you're not sure if food kept well. Or that a restaurant is trustworthy." Sounded like it started as medicine for food poisoning and found another use. "With... eating waste.... Remember that they have no nutritional value, so it's gonna fill you up, but not feed you... oh, and it's gonna go right through you. The worse the state, the quicker it gets out. Oh, and it doesn't quite work on ANYTHING being edible... don't you try eating raw meat or such... not gonna go well." And it would neither be enjoyable.

Will nodded as he considered what he was getting into. The "side effects" might make this quite pleasant in some places on Earth. Maybe those people who went there had a stock going. Or an implant. With a bit of determination, he undid the cap and turned over the bottle to swallow the thick, sweet-tasting liquid. Not bad at all... Though he expected his guts to start singing a symphony any moment now.

"Actually, can I ask one question?" The man said just as Will was setting his bottle down.

"Tran, don't bother the boy." Missy was sure playing at being a protective mom.

"One question and nothing more."

The boy considered that this pharmacist has been quite pleasant, so he gave him his question.

"Shoot."

"So, we've heard that you guys don't quite... do things the same. How do you go about having sex? Seems everyone coming in here is treating it like they barely get it."

Will had to really consider the answer. How do you tell people who can walk up to someone to fuck of the extensive process for doing it back on Earth? Well, you started by being as frank as possible.

"It's... pretty difficult, especially for a guy. Hookers are the easiest and even they can be full of plenty of risks, dating is the usual route but a guy can date for months and get nothing... Marriage should be the thing that leads to sex, but it's starting to not really be that. Honestly, these days it's pretty damn hard unless you meet a nice girl to get with as much as you can. But they're all taken. And some choose... other ways. But they don't turn out well."

A very difficult expression fell on the man's face. Even here, out in space, male brotherhood was strong.

"Damn, that sounds harsh. Well, do enjoy it here. You want it from anyone... if they've got the time, they'll give it." And yet Will has been too shy to consider anyone but Missy.

He might be interested in the many other supplements and medicine the place had, but since he was in top health and not missing anything, the pharmacy had little interest for him. He checked the time to mark out when he drank the formula to know when it would hit in. He had no idea what to expect... mostly he expected it to not work, but for now he had hope in these people.

"So, where to next?" Missy would say as they went out of the store.

Will was a bit lost in thought as he considered the distinction between the places. No guy would want to go intentionally on Earth from anywhere else if this was their standard... where they could just go up to anyone and have a good fucking. He had yet to see anyone fucking openly... and thus the question was voiced.

"Hey, Missy... why don't we see people fucking out in the open? I mean, you said people do just about anything with no shame, but I haven't seen so much as a back alley blowjob."

Did he say those words? He must be getting braver. The cat-woman would smile at his quite perceptive question.

"Oh, we would... but there was a decision to keep the main areas clean for you guys. So you won't be freaked out to see your barista getting railed behind the counter or a waiter used as a toilet. Or groups of men and/or women crouching outside as they have a nice bathroom break combined with a smoke break."

That... would indeed make most people he knew turn as white as a sheet and just barricade themselves in their room. They were quite aware of how different their cultures were. Here were humans thinking their ways have to apply for EVERYTHING or the other guy is wrong and in come these guys which could at least pause the fucking to make them feel more comfortable.

And then a stray thought hit him just as his face turned into a wide smile.

"But that means there is some area where you are still doing things as they usually are, hmmm?"

Missy gave him a wide, teasing smile.

"Maybe..."

"Can I... go there?" He wondered if it was some "employees only" area.

"If you look like you're not gonna faint when I bring you in."

And now he had a new objective... time to prove himself to the feline worker. And something else.

*

Will would quickly learn that the commercial section was all shops and no restaurants. As he was looking for some place to get dinner, he found that he could only buy components for dinner... or instant meals. Missy proposed they go to a supermarket to get some proper food items and she could later cook them both a good dinner. Will was certainly in love with the concept of a comfort worker. Like a mom, wife and more... How could anyone refuse having one? Felt like his life before was incredibly alone.

He had most certainly seen a supermarket before. But this was a supermarket onboard a ship that traveled between the stars and redefined the idea of a luxury cruise. After the outfitter, the man expected to go to some "food forge" that could turn a handful of chemicals to 3d-print every food he thought of in existence... getting an actual shopping cart, albeit one that could automatically follow him... and walking between actual aisles that were filled with plentiful products that he recognized and some that he did not... well, it was a reminder that not everything in the Empire was ultra high tech. Sometimes you don't beat the classics. And you can't have your people unable to eat food unless it gets made by a fucking chemical forge. Yes, they had those, but most swore that they never got the products right.

As his nose guided him more than his shopping list, the man would find himself to a sight that was downright familiar. To his right were lines of wicker baskets containing... pastry. From the usual filling to the more exotically constructed, it started with bread and ended with fine jam-filled croissants. The scent of bread was such a primal thing, and just as Will was about to drop a loaf in his basket, he was overcome by both his hunger and lust for such fine baking... What followed would practically mark the experience in his brain as a core memory.

His hand grasped the end part, a very satisfying crunch as he pulled apart the loaf, the aroma intensifying as light steaming escaped the now broken apart item... The temptation was even stronger. As his teeth sunk into the crust to make it to the off-white, soft, harmonious center, the man felt like a child again, having his first try from a particularly tasty baguette. It was... Perfect. Crunchy, but yielding, a perfect mix of sweet, sour and more resulting in a harmony of just neutral filling. As he swallowed, the man let out a closed-mouthed moan as he enjoyed the taste for a full three seconds before his eyes opened to remember where he was and who was there with him.

Missy was watching him with a pleased smile on her face.

"Never had bread before?"

He almost forgot to swallow before responding, a half-muffled answer coming out before he let the thing go down and answered properly.

"Rarely this good. Usually, our bread is this... spongy, nothing-tasting thing that is just there to go with some more taste-filled food." Damn, when he said it like that, it sounded like he lived in a dystopia. Another look down before he held it out to her. "Want some?"

She gave him another chuckle before breaking another piece for herself to chow down on, the woman also able to enjoy this fine ass piece of bread. The loaf would not survive until they left the store. Equally he would enjoy the sweet pastry set further, enjoying a couple of glazed, jam-packed croissants that were none of the half-assed, one half-spoon of jam in one barely sweet roll, but the man had to be careful to not spill the creamy contents.

These people knew food. In fact, he had rarely seen anyone give this much respect to food. Produce was incredibly fresh, variety was through the roof and they had plenty to pick for dinner, though the man filled up on so many things from the store that he wondered if he could even stomach dinner.

"I think I'm gonna skip the meal this evening. Maybe settle for breakfast?" That made him consider another menu for morning... and they had bacon, eggs and all the ingredients for some fine ass waffles. Only as the cart was half full did he consider all the things he has unquestionably devoured without even considering paying. "Wait... I was given money to use here, but... no one asked me to pay yet. How do you guys handle this?"

"Oh, you already have."

"What." was his flat answer.

"Check your fortune score. You'll see that you already paid for everything you picked up."

After a quick open of the link to see that app that told him his fortune... it was all there. Outfits... 50 fortune each. Medicine, 10 fortune. Bread was half a point, one for the croissants... judging by these costs, he could consider that a fortune point was functionally like a dollar, at least in scale compared to their economy. But also...

"Damn, this is pretty cheap. Wait... the other places had shopkeepers, but no one saw us take the stuff in the supermarket." Beat. "Or are you deducing it?"

A shake of her head.

"You have automated systems watching your actions and doing the deduction."

That made him chill to the bone.

"There's things watching us? Like... human or..."

"Machines do the initial appraisal. If there's no need for adjudication, it does not get to a person." She was talking like this was all straight fact.

"Okay, you lost me. Why would there need to be judgment? I mean, prices are set, aren't they?"

"Yes, and no. I guess our economy works in a way you have not considered before."

Will furrowed his brow. Economy. How DO these people go about with money? So far it seemed capitalist, but so was Earth and it was not doing so well.

"How does money work for you guys?" was said as he started picking out some junk food... the comfort, but not as healthy food that was still present here.

"It is an unequal exchange. When you receive a service, you pay how much it cost to bring you that service. But when one is paid for the service, customer satisfaction is fully measured to see how much that helped them out."

His mind gently blanked at that idea as he could just not fathom the prospect.

"You lost me again. That... does not seem to... work."

"Why not? Someone grew the grain for that bread, worked it into the product and brought it to the supermarket. All that is being paid for. Sure, it is all distributed as you're not gonna pay for each loaf as if it was the entire crop. But, when it is their turn to get paid... it is being considered... did the product satisfy you or did it not even count as edible? Did the farmers give proper grain or did it have to be picked over for anything properly usable? Same with anything. If I don't do a good job with you.... I'm not gonna get paid as much."

That... sounded wrong on so many levels. You can't just make money out of thin air like that. Will struggled to consider the deeper implications, but he could consider the surface ones easily enough. Those that get paid the most give the best service. You give a half assed sandwich that makes a guy vomit and you might practically get fined, you give them one to make them moan from the experience... and you might get rich selling sandwiches.

"Can't be that easy... I mean... what about supply and demand, inflation, and so many other factors?"

"It can be. And... I don't know what those are, but usually it doesn't matter to someone where they are, how much of something is or so on. Just because there is little of something, does not mean it should have higher value. In fact, that should be an incentive to make more of it."

All this sounded arcane to the man. And yet he looked at the effects. Producers were competing to give people the best product for the cheapest price, you might barely make the bills if you half-ass things and it took just a dozen bad batches to put someone out of business. He considered instead how Earth did it... all the power to the sellers and the people either had to bear with it or go elsewhere, but since every place had the same quality, it was a zero sum game.

He'd focus on this another time, for now focusing on the check out... or he thought it was the check out before he remembered that he already paid for everything. The woman waiting behind a counter on their way out was actually for the service to deliver their shopping home... and that was a concept he could embrace. No more having to haul this home... even if it was not that far to a transit station, the prospect of not having to to make a trip back was... pleasant. Only one concern about the stuff that should be refrigerated, but that was quickly dispersed as the lady mentioned that the box used to deliver them would preserve the contents at least until they would get back. Though no more than 8 hours.

As they came out, Will had one question on his mind for her.

"Missy... how long can you be with me today? I don't want to take all your time."

"I can be with you as much as you want. All day. If you need something comfy to sleep with." A wink. A very teasing wink. The new outfit concealed his boner well, but it was there.

"I... am happy to hear that. I do enjoy your company."

It felt like a date, but she was clearly holding a proper distance to not quite be one. She was his comfort worker... and he was sure comfortable. With no other idea of what he might be keen to buy... for now... it was time to hit the entertainment sector. At first he considered walking there... but you just could not. Well, you could, but it would imply going through some uncomfortable side corridors. Transit station was a better idea. Another check of his link to see that an hour has not passed since he took his medicine.

If the commercial district was all shopping, entertainment was downtown proper. Same layout but different venues. Closed in restaurants, a nice fast food alley where you could eat right in front of the shops, bars, clubs... casinos? And more. Brothels casually sat between much more "normal" distractions, all places for one to spend time and money.

Will was once more surprised by just how big the place could be. One was stretching it... two... this place was bigger than his downtown area, and far more populated. The sounds of conversation floated in the air as people milled about, most looking to score in some new and interesting ways. Previously he might have been tempted to get some food, but now... he was full. Almost. He could tolerate some snacks, so he and Missy would set on out to the food alley to get some evening grub. The cat-woman was far more hungry than he was, so they found her thirst in the form of a place that served actual ramen... the good kind... and those good food wraps which reminded him of sushi. The man would get a dozen wraps while he let Missy chow down on her fish soup.

It was a very good idea to feed his date, as she might have turned a bit unpleasant if he kept her hungry. The wraps were surprisingly good... light, but flavorful. They were far more creative with the items being mixed, though most felt like tiny sandwiches... damn good sandwiches. They opted for the outdoor eating, mostly to get a quick in and out experience and keep going, though that did not make quality suffer. He was starting to see how that mindset of the economy could work... though it still baffled him.

"You look like you're hatching a thought." The woman said as she paused from slurping on those noodles. It was funny to see her mouth get wet from the soup. Will had to hold a laugh in.

"Just... thinking about what you said on the economy. Can't be that easy. Ours takes college degrees to understand."

"No, yours is intentionally obfuscated because someone wants to keep its workings secret. If something can't be explained simply, either no one understands it or no one wants you to know it. And it is that easy. At least down here. Sure, it gets distributed when you have to deal with firms, groups of people and things that can be copied infinitely, but it just is how it is."

That made some added sense. You can't keep a person as responsible as a firm... and it sure sounded like a company was means to dilute the impact, but also distribute the success... and with things like movies and software that could be duplicated endlessly... you can't pay the cost of the entire production or a man would be in debt to go to a movie.

As he scrolled through his transaction history, the man noted that he was billed even for the stuff they had at the entrance. But also... he had some gains for... minor assistance.

"Wait, you guys don't do anything free? I thought the stuff at the start was free."

A shake of the head from the cat-woman.

"Nothing free here. Sure, we gave you the starter pack that any new comer can get, but anything you do has consequences. What if you went around and started just draining everything? Buying a thousand outfits, taking everything the stands had to give... so on?"

He gave a difficult expression. Nothing free in this place, but it seems he could earn money just by... helping around. Being a decent person. Wait... actually it seems like the cost he was paying got lower if he was being a decent person. Less headaches for the employees... less work for him to pay for. Ah... so those people will be swiftly taken care of here. He internally chuckled as the "complainers" might get a rude awakening. Even now he could see a woman being unreasonably rude to a barista... and he could imagine her bill growing by the second since she was not just bothering the woman, but she was bothering everyone else around them. And when she might come back to complain about the bill, she might just get another bill.