Devotia Ch. 03: Enrapture

Story Info
Callie's interest in the Knight-Commander increases.
5.6k words
4.8
2.8k
4
0

Part 3 of the 18 part series

Updated 06/13/2023
Created 05/24/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Enrapture

"So he's sitting there, completely abandoning his focus as he stares down the literal inventor of the neo-Shalani ward," Calvin's voice bounces across the marble around them as Callie giggles against his chest, "and has the audacity to believe he can somehow withstand a blast of fire from the guy."

Callie presses in more against his chest, enjoying the warmth as the evening air begins to cool them down. "So what happened? Did the old mage roast him alive?"

"Nah, he was lucky. The old coot blasted the base of his ward, charring his shoes and wrecking the ward, but leaving him mostly unharmed."

"Sounds lively being a paladin," Callie sighs lightly as the story concludes. "You're pretty young to be a Knight-Commander."

"There's been younger," he states simply. "But not many. I led a squad out of a tussle with some bandits that snuck up on us. They had us dead-to-rights, but we were able to pull out some clever tricks they didn't expect. One of the knights in my group had a dad who knew the Knight-Captain, and she was impressed."

"You make yourself sound so sneaky and dashing. I'll bet you just annoyed the bandits so much they killed each other to block out the sound."

Calvin laughs, pulling her closer to his bare chest with his arm. She's wearing his tunic, loving how it was large enough that it could practically be a dress for her.

"Who am I to argue with you, hal Devotia?" He lets out a large sigh, shifting to sit up from the cushions they lounged on. "Evening's coming around, I should probably get going."

Callie turns around to face him, wearing a mischievous smile on her face. She drops a hand to gently grip his inner thigh, leaning her chest in closer to him. "You should stay..."

"Mmmmm," his voice rumbles, "that is a compelling offer, hal Devotia." He wears a somber expression, and Callie feels her own face drop with disappointment. "I don't want to get you in trouble."

"Trouble? How would it be getting me into trouble?"

"Right, newcomer," he said gently, reminding himself of what she did and didn't know. "Suul's blessings are only given out during daylight. If I'm here past daytime, people'll know I'm not here for duty."

"You say that like it's a bad thing," she pulls back, sitting on her leg and frowning slightly.

"It is. It'd be a really fast way to get you excommunicated."

"What?" Callie crosses her arms in frustration. "I'm the Devotia! I thought that meant people had to listen to me. That I could do what I wanted." She feels foolish, whining like a child, but she was just getting used to the idea that she didn't have to fear being attacked everyday of her life.

"There are rules and customs for the job, unfortunately," his hand touches her cheek gently. "It's not all just sex with the handsome Knight-Commander."

"So... I can only see you during the day? You can't ever spend a night with me?" She feels her excitement plummet, replaced by the crushing weight of loneliness again.

"I'm afraid so, hal Devotia," he kisses her forehead sweetly, starting to stand. "But I shall answer your summons anytime during the day that you'll have me."

"Of course, Knight-Commander," she sighs sadly.

Calvin begins donning his gear again, not putting as much effort into making it look neat as when he first greeted her. He gestures gently towards the tunic she's wearing.

"I..." She looks down, holding the plain fabric in her hands. Callie feels his scent lightly drift up from the cloth, filling her with a sense of comfort. "I was hoping I might keep it."

Calvin nods, smiling politely. Wincing slightly at the feeling of putting his metal breastplate directly onto his bare skin, he takes a long look at her, as though building a mental image for later.

"Consider the metal pinching your skin a punishment for not spending the night with your Devotia," she mocks playfully.

"A cruel Devotia she is indeed," he chuckles back. He steps forward, placing a kiss upon the top of her head. "This was an honor I could've never dreamed of. I somehow already feel I know you better than your predecessor."

"When you first came to me, you said you had failed her," she remembers, feeling serious for a moment. "What happened?"

Calvin takes a glance across the balcony, using the fading light to tell the time. "I'm afraid it'll have to wait. I wish you a luminous evening, hal Devotia."

He walks slowly towards the exit, taking a final glance at her as he crosses the threshold. Suddenly, the villa is far less luxurious. It just feels polished and empty as she sits on the cushions they'd propped up onto the balcony.

She finds her mind drifting to her hometown. Sure it was dangerous, and repressive, and overly hostile to her, but at least she had Mykah to turn to. He'd let her gush on and on about Calvin, the sex, her fancy title...

But instead, she just stares at the quiet and candlelit halls of her empty new home.

-- -- --

"So when can I summon visitors?" Callie asks, trying to hide her impatience. Her mind feels singular in its focus, and it's hard to listen to Magister Velena drone on about the sacred history of Devotia.

"In the afternoon, hal Devotia," Velena replies politely. "For the near future, your mornings will need to be spent catching up on all of the rites, duties, rules, traditions, philosophies, and more that come with being the Devotia." Her face softens for a small moment. "I'm sorry, I know it's a lot to take in all at once."

"Yeah," Callie murmurs, shifting in her new robes. They were elegant, flowy white fabric that fell into a comfortable short skirt, belted at the waist. Some of the robes were longer, or had sleeves, but on a warm morning like today Callie hadn't needed them.

"Shall we return to the matter at hand," the magister ventures carefully, "or would hal Devotia appreciate a break?"

"Break," Callie croaks quickly, feeling stir crazy. "Please."

"Of course, hal Devotia." Velena thinks for a moment, standing and offering a hand to help Callie up as well. "May I show you my favorite place in Solva?"

Velena's favorite place wasn't too far from the Devotia's courtyard, following a small path that crawled out onto a ledge overlooking the other side of the city. There was just enough room to stretch out your feet without risking a fall over the edge. From here, Callie could see the East gates and the wide grassy plains beyond them. With the sun shining down above them, pockets of water sparkled across the fields.

"How was the Knight-Commander's visit?" Velena asks happily, her voice far less formal than it had been the entirety of the morning. Callie's silence and flushed face must've answered the question for her, because the Magister simply giggles, "He certainly seemed to have a bounce in his step as he left."

Callie found Velena to be a surprising person. Despite being the youngest on the Imperium, she was clearly well respected. Her knowledge of magic and history and religion were clearly unmatched, and yet she was the only one of the council who seemed willing to drop her guard with Callie. For small moments here and there, she could suddenly talk to Velena the person, not Velena the Magister. But then, quick as it departed, her formality would return, and Callie could never figure out when it'd happen.

"There was something I should tell you..." Callie says timidly, hoping a moment of informality would be the best time for this conversation. She hears Calvin's voice from the day before telling her Velena can be trusted.

Velena nods, encouraging her to continue.

"So... I'm threaded," she says quietly, pulling her body inward slightly to prepare for the Magister's reaction.

"I knew it!" Velena exclaims, her face rounded out by a warm and smug grin. She glares up towards the direction of the sun in the sky, jabbing a finger at it, "I knew you'd done it!"

Callie sits quietly, unsure of how to read Velena's response. She wonders if it was commonplace to shout at the sun, hoping Suul would listen. "You knew?"

"Well, I suspected. No one else on the Imperium agreed, but I knew I detected the faint threads of magic on you," her eyes flick across Callie's form, as though scanning for the evidence one more. "Whoever channeled the magic did so with expert technique."

"My friend Mykah," Callie confirmed softly. "He's always been gifted."

Velena nods enthusiastically. "Well, this is exciting, isn't it? The first threaded Devotia in known history!"

"Are you sure it won't be an issue?"

"I can't see why it would be. Did Knight-Commander Calvin's strength replenish yesterday?" Callie nods slowly. "Then our divining is confirmed, Suul has chosen you."

Callie is quiet for a long moment. "But why did she choose me?"

"Who can say? I'm sure She'll reveal that to you when She feels the time is right. For now, you can just focus on getting acquainted."

Callie rests in that knowledge for a moment, feeling slightly relieved. "I'm not sure how to tell everyone."

"Why would you have to?" Velena's face is genuinely confused, which annoys Callie slightly. The Magister notices her frustration and adds, "You're the Devotia. Who could dare challenge that? If someone takes issue with you being threaded, they aren't deserving of Suul's blessings anyway."

"I could just... do that? Refuse to bless people who don't accept me?"

"I don't see why not," Velena confirms. "Your blessings come from a place of truth, of light. If someone can't accept that light, how could you be expected to bless them? We wouldn't ask a victim to bless their abuser." She places a gentle hand on Callie's arm, squeezing it comfortingly. "You have the power now."

"Thanks," Callie squeezes her hand back. "That makes me feel much better."

"Of course," Velena smiles. "I won't go announcing it for you, but there's no need to hide."

Callie is quiet for a moment, then decides to ask the other question on her mind. "Why can't Devotia have visitors overnight?"

Velena looks taken aback for a moment, but a quick read of Callie's face fills in the details for her. "Oh, honey..." she whispers sweetly. "The short answer is that Suul only blesses during daylight, but I'm guessing that's not what you're after."

"Yeah," Callie mutters softly.

Velena takes a deep breath in, releasing it slowly. "Devotia can't pick favorites, there's too many people depending on them. If someone is staying overnight, who's to say they aren't just using the Devotia for their own gain?"

"But why could I be excommunicated for that? Haven't I had to be alone for enough of my life?"

"Excommunication is not guaranteed, it's up to the discretion of the Imperium," she says quickly. "As for the second question, I don't have an answer. I'm simply sorry. It's just the way it has to be."

Callie pulls her knees into her chest, resting her head on them with a somber expression. "I guess so," she grumbles.

"I think maybe that's enough training for you today, hal Devotia," Velena says after a few quiet moments, carefully measuring Callie's face. "Why don't you attend to the rest of your duties?"

"Of course," Callie smiles softly, stretching her legs out and standing up.

"Tell the Knight-Commander 'hello' for me," Velena smirks. Though, as Callie slips off of the ledge, she swears she notices Velena's smile disappear.

-- -- --

The early afternoon sun shines across the courtyard as Calvin finally arrives. Callie hadn't expected a summons to take quite so long - she'd sent for him nearly two hours ago. She spent the better part of that time getting ready for him, trying to put together the most pleasing appearance she could manage. She must've looked quite desperate, because after ten minutes or so of scrambling one of the villa's priestesses kneeled before her and offered to put on her makeup. Hands jittery with excitement, Callie quickly accepted.

The remainder of the time, Callie spent locating a suitable location for them in the villa, eventually settling down in a smaller lounge room that would feel cozy and private. She lay down on the cushions, waiting for him, occasionally shifting postures to show more and more skin and hoping she looked enticing enough.

"Two summons from hal Devotia already?" His voice chirped into the room cheerfully. "People'll begin to think the Knighthood is in serious disrepair if its Commander requires so much attention."

Callie cocked her chin up proudly, arms propped up behind her and legs lounging in such a way that he couldn't look up her skirt, but would surely want to. "Perhaps hal Devotia has seen Suul's desires in such a way that the others have not yet understood."

"I defer to your grace, hal Devotia," he steps forward into the room, eyes hungrily undressing her. But, as he takes the next step in the room, his face winces sharply, arm rising to steady himself as he stumbles slightly.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" Callie rises quickly, face painted with alarm.

"It's nothing," he winces again, leaning against a column to steady his balance, riding out the wave of pain inside. Looking at him closer, Callie notices that his armor was dirty and dented in places, the worst of which was a large bash on centered on his left hip.

Callie holds her hands nervously, stepping closer to him. "I thought that a Devotia's blessing is only supposed to deal in truths," she tries to tend to the worry in her voice. "What happened?"

He looks up at her, face tight and brow furrowed, but it softens as his eyes meet hers. "As you say, hal Devotia. I think I might just sit here a moment, if that is alright." He lets his body slide down the column, metal scraping and jangling, stretching out his legs as he reaches the ground.

Callie steps forward, kneeling on the hard floor and timidly placing her hands on his chausses, fingers hunting for a clasp to remove the plate. "What happened?" She repeats, softer this time.

"Training accident," he grimaces as she removes the dented metal. "One of my knights wasn't careful enough as he practiced setting the trebuchet. Sent a crossbeam tumbling down, nearly taking down the whole machine on top of us. I got hit a few times as we steadied it."

Callie pulled the fabric of his trousers down, searching for the place where he'd been hit. A few inches below his belt-line, his skin was already a deep purple. She gasped, shocked at how wide the damage was.

"I didn't even really notice it until I was most of the way here," he chuckles. "Please forgive my lateness, hal Devotia."

"This looks bad," she squeaks, no longer hiding the concern in her voice. "We should get someone, a healer or something."

"Nothing's broken, as far as I can tell. The plate took most of the blow like a champ," he smiles, his hand reaching up to run his fingers through her shoulder-length hair. "Feels loads better with the armor off. I promise."

"Okay," she nods quietly, eyes drifting down to his lips. Callie swore she could see him do the same. Her gaze drifted over the rest of his body, seeing it muddy and dirty and sweating. "You need a bath," she jabs a finger against his breastplate. "How dishonorable for the Knight-Commander to appear before his Devotia in such a filthy manner."

"You wound me, hal Devotia," he grins as his small dimples appear, face bright and soft. "Shall I go draw the basin for you?"

She rolls her eyes at him, careful to ensure he sees it. "Wait here." She steps into the hallway, finding a priestess tending to one of the potted bushes down the hall. "Salome? It is 'Salome,' right?"

The priestess turns to her, bowing lightly and smiling. "It is, hal Devotia. How may I be of service to you?"

"Would you be so kind as to draw and warm a bath for the Knight-Commander?"

"Of course, hal Devotia," Salome nods warmly, turning to stroll down to the bathhouse.

Callie steps back into the lounge room, seeing Calvin attempting to stand. She bounces over to him, carefully sitting her body down above him to prevent him from rising. "You are not going anywhere until we get this armor off of you," she orders, gently pushing him back down to the floor. Her hands search around his breastplate for the clasps, finding them and slowly unbuckling them.

Calvin stares at her softly as she removes the chestpiece before turning towards the pauldrons. "I cannot help but feel that you are servicing me, rather than the other way around, hal Devotia."

She stops for a brief moment, pursing her lips to hide a smile that surely reached her eyes. "Well, your Devotia is dedicated to the health and wellbeing of her Knight-Commander."

He gently raises a gauntlet, grasping her hands to stop her for a moment. A mildly grave expression crosses his face. He whispers carefully to her, "And how will you impart a blessing if I'm the one being served, not you?" His eyes lock into hers, trying to pass along a careful warning. "Hal Devotia," he adds after a few heartbeats.

"If this is how I wish to spend my time the-,"

"I don't want to cause you scandal," Calvin gently lowers his brow, accenting his worry. "You have a duty, and I can't neglect that." His voice is low, full of longing and obligation.

"Are... are you saying you don't want this?" Her voice is shaking slightly, and she can feel the beginnings of tears form far back in her eyes. "You don't want me?"

"Of course I do," he places a soft kiss on the bridge of her nose. "Of course I do." His hand holds the side of her neck, gripping tightly to punctuate his words. "But you're not just my Devotia. I don't get you all to myself."

"But what if that's what I want?" Callie is now fighting the tears, trying to keep them at bay.

Calvin looks away for a moment, taking her words deeply into his spirit. When he looks back, his face seems split between relief and alarm. He sighs, shifting his weight so she can sit more comfortably. "Callie..."

Her eyes widen slightly, surprised her name could roll off his tongue with such warmth. She hadn't had the name for long, and hearing it spoken from Calvin's mouth made her insides twinkle with joy.

"I don't want to lead you into dangerous waters. I want you, I want this," his other hand rests against her back, pulling her in slightly. "I couldn't bear it if you had to be replaced so quickly, especially if it was my fault."

"Is that what happened to the Devotia before me?" She asks quietly. "You told me you failed her. Was... was she in love with you?"

"No," he sighs, looking away from her.

"Were you in love with her?"

"No!" His eyes flash back to hers quickly, a sense of urgency in his voice. "I don't want to talk about her. I just need you to promise me you won't only think of me."

Callie frowns, eyes pleading with him. "I don't want to promise tha-,"

"Please," he begs, and Callie feels her heart rend. Calvin looks at her fondly. "Seeing you once a week as the Devotia is better than never seeing you at all. I don't want to risk losing that."

"Okay," she whimpers quietly. "Okay."

"Thank you," he gazes at her, full of concerned gratitude.

"But I have still summoned you for today," she leans in, clinging to what she has left. "I'll agree to your terms," Callie tries to shield her voice from the desperation she felt inside, but doubted it was successful, "but only if you'll stay for today."

"Agreed," he nods at her, appreciative, "hal Devotia."

Callie didn't expect it to feel so hollow to feel her name slip away from the allowable honor he could give her, but it was a dull sting. With every call of 'hal Devotia,' she could feel herself longingly transform it into 'Callie' in her mind.

"Let's get the rest of this filthy armor off of you," she commands after a moment, trying to put on a brave face.

12