Devotia Ch. 11: Longevity

Story Info
Callie takes charge to ensure Calvin stays with her.
9.9k words
4.83
3.4k
2

Part 11 of the 18 part series

Updated 06/13/2023
Created 05/24/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Longevity

As Callie steps into the Rust district, it briefly feels like coming home. She had spent her very first days in Solva here, cowering behind scores and scores of people packed together. The crowded streets, the sometimes splintering wood, and the smell of an endless number of cooking stoves all wash over her as she takes it in once again.

She pulls the cloak tighter over her shoulders, wondering just how recognizable she would be without her Devotia's robes. Callie had borrowed some clothes from Civa hoping to pass as an ordinary priestess, throwing her hair up into a tight bun and betting her face is less known up close. Part of her hates the privileged place in society she now holds, feeling so distant from her past, but the rest of her is grateful that very few people could recognize her up close.

The disguised paladin next to her grunts, nodding her head and pointing Callie's gaze across the courtyard. Callie follows her finger, letting her eyes rest upon the small sign of the Fleeting Fox; the very same inn she had stayed at during her first days. She wonders if the tavernkeep, Magnus, would still remember her face.

She follows the paladin, a tall and athletic woman named Gloriana, trying to stay close to her. Callie had wanted to make the visit alone, but the mere suggestion of such a solo venture made the vein in Velena's forehead pop with frustration. She'd already been furious enough Callie canceled her schedule for this, even if she understood Mykah's importance to her. Callie acquiesced and allowed the Magister to force her to bring Paladin Gloriana.

A small part of her wonders if Velena is the one moving against her, remembering that the Magister had informed Junivere about Calvin weeks ago. That incident had been easily explained as a way to push Callie out of her sheltered attitude, and weeks later she no longer feels they were wrong to do so. But so few people knew about Mykah, and Velena was one of them. Eventually she pushes the thought away. From the beginning, Velena has been one of Callie's only allies, helping her survive in a way hardly anyone else has. Mykah would hopefully offer more explanation.

Inside, the Fleeting Fox is just as she remembers it. Rows and rows of tables are packed with a scattered array of guests, some just returning from night shifts, some preparing to leave for work... others would still be recovering from hangovers from the night before. She shuffles past the chaos, remembering how steep of a learning curve her first days had been. Gloriana bumps into a patron, quickly waving a hand to clean his cloak from the drink that had spilled.

Callie approaches Magnus, trying to meet his eyes from the far side of the bar table. His brow furrows for a moment, but as he lumbers closer she spots the knowing twinkle in his eyes.

"I doubt you're suppost to be here," his low voice rumbles, quiet to keep her privacy. "It's good to see 'ya."

Callie flashes him a smile, lowering her cloak slightly. "Hey, Magnus."

"Hal Devotia," Gloriana whispers in her ear. "We shouldn't linger."

Rolling her eyes so Magnus can see, Callie gently waves away the paladin's concern. "How's business?"

"Good," Magnus grunts contentedly. "Having your serving girl become Devotia is a nice reputation to run off of."

"Lucky you," she smirks.

"What're you doing down in these parts?" He asks quietly. "Not usually a spot for a High Holy."

"Meeting a friend," she replies, "room eleven." Magnus' eyebrow raises inquisitively, and Calie adds, "Not like that. I knew him from home."

"You know people's business ain't my business," he chuckles. "Tell the boy to pick up his laundry when he gets a chance."

"Of course," Callie smiles again. "Take care, Magnus."

Callie weaves back across the tavern, pulling Gloriana through the crowd and making her way up the narrow flight of stairs. She enters the upstairs hallway, heading towards the end of the row where she remembers room eleven to be. She stops at the door, taking a breath and steadying herself.

"Wait here," she tells the paladin, who flashes her a worried expression.

"It's my responsibility to keep you safe," Gloriana places a nervous hand on the pommel of her sword, tucked inside her cloak.

"And you're doing such a good job," Callie flashes a dismissive smile. "But this is my friend. I'll be fine." Gloriana shifts nervously in place. "You can wait at the door and check in every few minutes if it makes you feel better."

Gloriana nods, loosening her posture slightly at the compromise. Callie turns away, gently knocking at the door and strolling inside. The room is as she remembers the inn, a little small, but with surprisingly good sunlight through the windows. Mykah sits at the bed, perking up at her arrival and grinning happily.

"You're here!" He leaps up, hugging her as she shuts the door behind them.

"You're here," Callie replies. "I can't believe you're here."

"I can't believe you're a Devotia," he exclaims. "How did that happen?"

"Honestly I have no clue," she shrugs, sitting down in a chair across from his bed. "It kinda just happened."

Mykah sits down excitedly. "Tell me everything about it. Is it true that Devotia commune with Suul daily? What's she like?"

Callie snorts, "Hardly daily. I've only heard from her twice. I don't really have any clue what she's like."

"Do they know you're..?" he gestures vaguely at her body.

"Some do," she smiles. "People are much better about it here. Apparently it's almost normal."

Mykah releases a weight from his shoulders, taking in a peaceful inhale. "Thank gods. I've been worried about you." He looks her over again, eyes scanning over his magic carefully. "The magic's holding up really well. Have you had any issues with it?"

"None," Callie shakes her head. "People keep passing along their compliments actually. Apparently you're a pretty talented mage. I never would've guessed."

Mykah waves a dismissive hand, flashing his teeth proudly. "Of course I am." He sits forward more, leaning in and saying, "Sorry for busting into your place, by the way. Once I saw it was you I knew I had to come see you."

"I would've done the same," Callie lets her eyes drip with gratitude. "It's good to see you."

"It's good to see you."

"Besides, I think Junivere was more upset about it than I was." Callie leans back into the chair, pulling her legs up to her chest.

"She's intense. I thought she was going to have me executed before you arrived."

"She might've," Callie laughs softly. "She's just watching my back. She's been Devotia a lot longer than I have."

"So she's your mentor?"

"And more. At this point I think she's my closest friend here."

"Not anymore," Mykah points at himself, grinning madly.

"Yeah," Callie smiles, but then remembers Junivere's warnings. She takes a long breath, letting her seriousness show a little more. "I do need to ask you about some things."

"Like what?"

Callie looks away. She hates the feeling of suggesting he might be involved in something, unintentionally or not. "The wards in place around the villa... you shouldn't have been able to get through them."

"It was surprisingly easy, actually," he holds out a hand, letting a few blue flashes of light dance across his palm. "I think they're actually just layers of Takwi wards staggered over each other. They're pretty vulnerable if you scatter needlepoint beams over a wide enough area."

She gazes back at him, admiring the intelligence shining in his eyes. In Rookwell, it was well known he must've been a prodigy. His talents were wasted there, and Callie wishes both of them could've been raised in Solva instead.

"Did anyone know you were going to the villa last night? Anyone at all?"

"Not that I know of. I cast a few stealthy charms to be sure." Mykah's eyes narrow, trying to read her. "What are you thinking?"

"Something in my gut tells me something's up," she says quietly. Callie looks up at him, quickly responding to the brief look of offense on his face. "Not you," she asserts. "But Junivere thinks someone might be using you to get to me, even if you're not in on it."

"How?"

"I don't know," she sighs. "But... it's hard to know who to trust as Devotia. There's a lot of eyes on me all the time."

"Callie," Mykah sits forward, putting a hand on her knee. "I risked everything for you back home. I'd never betray you."

She drops a hand to cover his. "I know that." She waits a long few moments, mulling over Junivere's warnings in her head. "I don't know how to make this all work."

"Make what work? What are you trying to say?"

"I want to be able to see you," she squeezes his hand affirmingly. "I do. But I can't see you at night, it'll cause scandals. And my days are completely packed now. I'm already in trouble just coming to see you today."

"So I can never see you again?" His face drops, frowning deeply. "I came all this way to see you."

"I've spent so many days wishing you were here," Callie meets his eyes. "I've missed you so much."

"So we'll figure something out," Mykah's brow lowers, his mind working for solutions. "How do I get into your schedule?"

"I'm mostly meeting heads of organizations: nobles, guildmasters, artisans, stuff like that. The only times other people make it in are for blessings."

"How do I get one?"

"I can summon you."

"Okay," he smiles, a little surprised at how easy it is. "So summon me."

"You'd have to leave with a blessing. People will be talking." Callie holds a hand up to her cheek, resting her head into her palm.

"I don't care if people talk. I just want to be able to spend time with you."

"Mykah..." she holds her breath in her throat, letting her next words leave her in a whisper. "The only blessings I know how to give are pretty... um... physical."

Mykah's mouth widens with the glee of a revelatory piece of gossip. "No. No way." His eyes light up delightedly. "You're kidding me. Callie, the most sheepish, virginal person in the most sheepish, virginal city on the continent... is a whore?" He lets out a bellowing cackle.

Callie's face flushes, and she pushes him away grinning. "You always said I needed to loosen up!"

"This isn't quite what I was expecting," he teases. "So we can only talk if we're fucking?"

"Not exactly," she huffs, crossing her arms over her chest and feeling the warmth cross her face. "But a little bit, yeah."

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"If that's what it takes," he nods, face gleaming with humor.

"I'm not sure that I could..." Callie looks away, feeling embarrassed. "I've known you for forever."

"Think it over," Mykah stands. "I'd still like to see you. How awkward could it be?"

Callie is quiet for a long moment, digging further back into the worn fabric of the chair. She feels a dozen different thoughts float through her mind, still apprehensive about everything. She's no closer to an answer about who might be maneuvering against her.

"I'll see what I can do," she tells him after a little while. "I suspect Magister Velena won't be letting me make changes to the schedule for a little while. It may take time for me to get you in."

"That's fine," he says, nodding with appreciation. "I can wait."

"Thanks, Mykah. It is really good to see you."

"Do you have to leave already?"

Callie hears a soft knock at the door. She calls out to Gloriana, simply informing her she's fine. "I have a few minutes. Like I said, apparently everyone wants to meet a Devotia."

"Fuck..." He scratches the back of his head. "Sounds stressful."

"Sometimes, yeah." She rolls her shoulders, adjusting in the chair again. "I'm growing to like it, though."

"I'll bet," he smirks.

Callie rolls her eyes. "Not like that! Though I guess part of it is that," she grimaces with a timid smile. "Everyone always hated me back home. I'm a somebody here."

"Must be nice."

Callie lowers her brow and looks at him seriously. "You could be somebody here. You're one of the most talented mages I've ever heard of! Surely you could get into the College."

"With what money?" Mykah drops his hands into his pockets and looks away. "I've got enough to survive for a bit. I don't have 'go to prestigious College' money."

"I'll see what I can do," Callie stands and takes his hand. "This place is incredible, Mykah. I love it here."

Mykah puts on a polite smile. "I wouldn't say no to showing up these big city mages."

"That's the spirit." Callie gives him one last hug, repeating back, "I'll try and summon you when I can. In the meantime, stay out of trouble and I'll find out who I know at the College. Maybe we can get you a benefactor."

"Sure, Callie," he nods. "Stay safe, okay?"

"I'll be fine. You stay safe."

Callie opens the door to the room, looking back at Mykah and wondering when she'll see him next. Despite the joy she feels in seeing him, Callie can't shake the strange feeling in her gut. Maybe it was Junivere's paranoia seeping into her brain, or maybe it was her own nerves, but something is afoot in her mind.

She waves Gloriana to follow her back down the stairs, returning to the bar counter and waiting to call Magnus over to her. Callie enjoys watching him work; the big man could be delightfully charming, and was especially gifted at remembering names and faces. If you ever stepped in his tavern twice, Magus would more than likely recognize you and even remember your name.

"What can I get you?" He says casually, cleaning a used mug as he approaches them.

"A pint for her," Callie points at the paladin behind her. "Nothing for me."

"Hal Devotia," Gloriana objects, but Callie waves away her concerns. Magus grabs a new mug and fills it with a delicious golden mead, handing it to the disgruntled woman.

"I have a couple questions," Callie tells him, leaning in and lowering her voice.

"Can't promise much," Magnus grunts but inclines his ear.

"Does anyone know anything about your guest in room eleven? Anything at all?"

"What sort of thing might they be knowing?" Magnus fills another pint, sliding it down the counter to an outstretched hand a few stools over.

"His connections to me."

"Which is?"

"Private," Callie smirks and Magnus' eye twinkles.

"No one knows much from what I seen," Magnus confirms. "But, there is someone you might wanna meet."

"Who?" Callie's eyes scour the tavern, trying to pick out any prying eyes.

"Back corner, on the right, facing counter," Magnus nods inconspicuously. "She arrived minutes after you, been shooting looks at the stairs the whole time."

"Who is she?"

"Mage or somethin'," Magnus shakes his head. "Never seen her before."

"Thanks, Magnus. You've been a huge help, as always." She reaches up and places a kiss on his cheek, smiling warmly. From her pocket, she pulls out a small stack of coins, gently folding them into his hand. "Told you I'd pay you back."

"Never needed to," he smirks. "Doing good things is doing good things."

Callie steps away from the bar, pulling Gloriana with her. The paladin scowls at her, deep worry lines painted into her face. "Can we finally get you out of here?"

"Not just yet," Callie instructs. "I want to meet her."

"I can't let you-,"

"Yes, you can. And yes, you will," Callie says forcefully. Gloriana folds her arms tightly across her chest, tugging against the fabric of her cloak. Callie takes a breath and adds, "Your job is to protect me, yeah? This is protecting me. I need to know who is plotting against me."

"Lord Magister Velena was very clear with her instructions. We need to leave."

"Then you are welcome to voice your displeasure with her," Callie scoffs. "But if you want to keep me safe right now you'll be meeting this strange woman with me."

Without waiting for a reply, Callie strolls away, heading for the back corner of the tavern where a small table is tucked behind a support beam. It's the most private booth in the building, usually the spot where people go to avoid being overheard. It's just by the far side of the entrance, providing plenty of cover noise from the busy streets outside.

Callie approaches confidently, noticing the woman's eyes fixed upon her as she pulls a chair back and sits down. "Who are you?" Callie demands.

"A potential ally," the woman replies calmly, her voice low and controlled. "I am Dynasa."

"Callana," Callie replies. "An ally how?"

The woman lowers her cloak, revealing a face just over forty years old with sharp eyebrows and low, angular cheekbones. Her eyes are serious yet indifferent, reading Callie as though she were something mildly interesting to study.

She opens her palms to the sky, resting the backs of her hands on the table. "Cards on the table? I intend to use you for your power. In return, I will assist you in uncovering the plot against you."

"Tell me what you know," Callie says simply. The woman's energy is striking and commanding, and it takes a great deal of effort from Callie to maintain her confidence.

"I don't provide nothing for nothing," Dynasa shakes her head.

"Hal Devotia," Gloriana cautions. Callie looks over at the paladin, sharing a look that suggests she understands the need for concern.

"What do you know about me?" Callie asks instead.

"A fresh face in Solva," Dynasa replies indifferently. "Unprecedented in a variety of ways..." She lets her voice drip off suggestively.

"Threaded," Callie confirms.

"Indeed?" Dynasa nods interestedly. Whether or not this information is new to her, she hides her reaction carefully. "Very interesting."

"Tell me what you know."

"Perhaps you could be more specific, hal Devotia," Dynasa folds her fingers together. "I know many things."

Callie takes a breath. She tries to read between the lines of Dynasa's face, but struggles to glean any information. Her deadpan is remarkable. "You're a mage."

"Correct."

"Are you from the College?"

"I have been to the College."

"How do you intend to use my power?"

Dynasa is quiet for a moment, seeming to decide how much she is willing to share. She inclines her head, saying, "Are you familiar with the role of Magewitch?"

"No," Callie answers. Gloriana places a hand on Callie's arm, squeezing it tightly. Callie looks at her, seeing her face frown knowingly. "What is a Magewitch?"

"A particular type of mage who specializes in... let's say invention," Dynasa offers cryptically. "They explore the boundaries of magic, known or unknown."

"Are you one?"

"I intend to be."

Callie thinks for a moment, mulling over the answer. "To what end?"

Dynasa shakes her head softly, and Callie nods in response. She surprises herself, feeling more adept at reading the unspoken rules of the negotiation. There were some questions Dynasa finds acceptable, and some she would never answer.

"Let me ask this instead," Callie says a breath later, "Why do you believe I would want to help you?"

"I can be a very powerful ally."

Callie shakes her head, frowning and hoping she is projecting more adeptness at the game than she feels. "Tell me why I shouldn't walk away now."

"You're learning. Good." Dynasa smiles, encouraged by the question. She takes a breath, thinking for a calm moment. "Allow me to prove my worth. Knight-Commander Calvin will request an audience later today. During it, he will inform you that he can no longer see you."

Callie's stomach drops, but she tries to contain her response. Dynasa's eyes flick over her and she knows her feelings must be clear. "Tell me why you know this."

"On his most recent assignment, he received word that Gellan, his traitorous brother, wished to speak with him," Dynasa says in a tone of secrecy, turning to look at Gloriana. "Ask your paladin now, she will confirm this."

Callie looks at Gloriana, who simply looks down at the ground in shame. She faces back towards Dynasa, feeling a tremor of fear in her stomach. "Why would Gellan reaching out make Calvin break off from me?"