Dinner Date Ch. 04

Story Info
A trip out to West Texas and an insight into Robert's job.
8.7k words
4.65
1.8k
3

Part 4 of the 6 part series

Updated 03/15/2024
Created 02/20/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note: This chapter is a departure from the rest of the story. While it is shorter and there is no sex but there is some action, I hope it will keep your interest enough in order to continue reading the rest of the series.

It does pick up immediately after Chapter 3 and was written strictly for character and plot development in order to move the story where I need it to be. The next parts will be back to more of what I know you expect.

This is a work of absolute fiction. I am no legal scholar nor have any legal training. Any laws I discuss are strictly for context of the plot and character development only. All characters are fictitious and have no resemblance to any real person in present or past.

Chapter 4

"Alright Captain. We're settled in and ready. Let's get going."

It didn't take long once we got clearance to get airborne. As soon as we were, I moved to the back of the plane bringing Kelly with me. Unlocking the aft cabin door, we stepped into the plane's arsenal: several different styles of shotguns, an assortment of knives, a dozen handguns, and half a dozen different rifles from tactical M-4's to scoped sniper.

"First things first. What type of firearms training do you have?"

"Uhm. None?" she said questioningly while looking at the display in front of her. "Never liked guns much but I know how to handle a knife though."

I pulled a knife and tactical scabbard down. "Put the K-Bar in your boot." She did as I instructed and then grabbed several throwing knives along with a throwing scabbard and strapped it to her lower back then tested the balance of each knife before inserting them which caused me to raise an eyebrow. "These I know quite well from my time on the streets."

"You have heard the expression about bringing a knife to a gun fight, right?" She just nodded and gave me a knowing smile.

I stopped and made sure she understood what I said next, "From here on out, until this is over you will either refer to me as Sir or Robert. The scum sucking piece of shit we're about to meet, from all the reports I've received about him, if he hears you call me Master, and this all goes sideways; let's just say he makes your former landlord look like Mr Rogers."

"Yes, Sir."

"When we get back home, I'm taking everyone to the gun range for lessons on how to shoot. My motto is, 'Pray for peace but prepare for war.'"

"Yes, Sir."

"If we get separated and someone comes at you. Take that knife and cut their balls off. Don't think. Don't hesitate. Just cut. You need to make sure they lose any chance of being allowed to pollute the gene pool further. If someone comes at you from behind, throw your head back into their nose or face, then stab down into the leg or groin area, twist the knife and pull it out hard and fast. Stab down, twist and pull. Repeat it back to me."

"Stab down, twist and pull."

"Good girl. If someone comes at you from the front, do not go for the balls first. Hit them in their throat first or rake your nails across their eyes. Take away their ability to breath or see. After the first hit then stab them in the groin, twist and pull. You have to hurt and stun them first. Once they are stunned, you turn deadly, you understand? Do not delay between switching targets. Throat or eyes then groin. If you delay it could well mean your death. Repeat it back to me. Delay means death." She did. Good. "Most men will think in their arrogance that they can rush you and overpower you. Make sure that they pay dearly for that mistake. Not to bring up a sore subject but you tried the same with me and it didn't end so well at first, did it?"

Trying to pull away from me she answered no. I kept my arms wrapped around her.

Forcing her to look into my eyes to stress my point I said, "Think about what I did. I let you come at me before I moved. I let you commit yourself before I did. When I did move, it was with purpose and as little effort as possible. I removed the threat without seriously hurting you... At least at first." I said smiling while thinking of her strapped to the saw horse first and later the cross.

"If I may ask, what are we walking into?" She asked trying to change the subject.

Leading her back to the seating area I opened up the manila envelope I had picked up off the seat. "Hopefully a very simple issue which can be resolved without a lot of drama. Unfortunately, the information we have here is at least a couple of weeks old at best.

"Listen to me carefully. We have no idea who we can trust and who we can't. Money and power do strange things to people. You find the right trigger and you can make anybody do anything you want them to. Like Lord Acton said, 'Power tends to corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.' Always listen to that little voice in your head. If it says something is off, then it probably is. I've learned to trust my gut over the years. I want you to start to develop the ability to do the same."

We spent the rest of the flight going over all the reports. I explained that four months ago, the person we're helping to arrest got himself into some serious trouble. He picked up a couple of teenage girls and got them drunk and later tried to rape them. They fought back as best they could but the piece of shit didn't like it and proceeded to beat them to death with the bottle. Before you ask, the reason he wasn't arrested at the time was because he was very well connected with the Sheriff and the County Judge, plus he has lots of money to pay off all the right people.

"I originally suggested sending in the State Police or the Texas Rangers in order to remove the scumbag but the recommendation was turned down. It's since blown up in their faces. I'm not sure how or when but he managed to obtain some incriminating evidence in order to blackmail the assistant Secretary of State of Texas but since he's obtained it, he has threatened to go public with it if anyone tries to arrest him. Because of the initial delay, our target now believes himself untouchable and he, a county Judge named Perez, and Sheriff Calhoun have started to run the county like their own little serfdom. Our job is to go in and convince him to vacate his position. 'Voluntarily'.

"Are the documents really that incriminating?"

"Very much so to him and it's going to cause some serious ramifications throughout the state's political structure. But that's not our problem. If the people involved had kept their hands clean to start with, we wouldn't be in this situation right now. Our only job is to keep the scales of justice balanced."

"How did he get his hands on the documents and the photos?"

"That's a very good question and very likely our next assignment after we clean up this mess. That being said, if he fails to accept our kind offer, we are authorized to remove him by any means necessary. It may undermine confidence in the leadership of the state but like all pests and parasites, I'm sure they will find a way to survive." I mused mostly to myself.

"As soon as we land, I need to make a phone call. I want you to listen in and learn. As my 'assistant' you need to have full access to all the same information I have, as well as contacts and sources. You need to be able to assess any situation we encounter and be able to formulate a strategy for survival. What Percy had you doing, we both know it was a waste of your talent. I'm about to pull back the curtain and show you what's really going on Dorothy. But remember, in this world there is no place for 'almost got it right'. It's either you got it right or innocent people suffer."

"We land in about three minutes so I'm going to ask you this. Do you still willingly give yourself to me? Do you trust me to care for you and protect you now knowing part of what I do for a living?"

"Yes, Sir. Of course."

"Then come here." I opened my arms and she stepped into them. For the first time in a long time, I was scared and I didn't know how I felt about it. My wife knew my job had certain risks and we had worked hard to minimize any blowback that might result from my actions. Bringing Debby into the equation was an easy decision to make. But Kelly was another matter altogether. She had the aptitude to do this job but lacked the self-defense skills or experience needed. Plus, taking her into my heart as well, I felt as if I was breaking my promise to her and to the rest to keep them safe and care for them. I didn't want to think what this said about me. Knowingly putting someone I care about and promised to care for in harm's way.

Once the plane landed, I pulled my phone out and put it on speaker.

"Dallas Morning Herald. This is Lee."

"Lee, are you ready to win the Pulitzer Prize?"

"Ha-ha. Very funny. Who is this?"

"Robert Coats. Still interested or should I call..."

"Don't mess with me Robert." He said cutting me off. "Damn right I'm interested. What kind of story do you have for me today?"

"Did you get the package concerning the Assistant Secretary of State for Texas?"

"Got it, read it and almost had an orgasm. Please tell me this isn't some sort of practical joke by you."

"It's real and I want you to run the story in the next issue. Call the number attached to the package. It's his private number. He is expecting your call. He is going to come clean and tell you everything including why he's outing himself. I'm sending the details on this story to your email now to back up what the Assistant is claiming and proof of why he's coming clean. This one concerns a figure in Gaines County. All the good juicy stuff you like. Alcohol, teenage girls, death and cover up. Make this part of the story an even bigger priority. The man is scum and deserves to be strapped to a table while facing the needle.

"Between you and me, the Assistant is a good man who made a mistake. It was a big one but it was still just a mistake. He says he's willing to pay for it. He's also ready to call the families of the two girls and apologized to them for their loss once we arrest the scumbag. He's outing himself to remove every possible obstacle he can so those young girls and their families get the justice they've been denied. Personally, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the piece of shit in Gaines gets a very lengthy jail term in general population being sodomized repeatedly, but that's not my call."

"Why don't you tell me how you really feel about the guy." Lee tried joking.

"Check your email and then tell me if you feel like joking." I cut the line and sent the email I had saved to drafts.

"Let's go arrest this bastard before my mood sours anymore."

The ride into town was quiet. My contact was supposed to have arranged for two uniformed officers to meet us outside the police station. When we arrived, I had found the Chief of Police and most of his officers outside waiting. Not a good sign.

As the Chief stepped up to the side of our rental, I lowered the window. "Can I help you Chief Jacobs?"

"That depends are whether you're here to interfere with our arrest of Michael Tandy?"

"Interfere? No Sir. I was sent to assist and offer any help you might need to make sure he goes down hard and for a very long time. I am a little concerned though that his recent behavior might have swayed you or your department to cover up for him. With your permission may I see the arrest warrant just for my own curiosity?"

"Now why do you want to see it?" he asked very skeptically.

"Because I want to make sure he doesn't get off on some stupid technicality. I also want to make sure he's being charged for murder in the death of both of those girls."

The chief dropped his head almost in shame. "As much as I want to see him rot in prison for the rest of his life, the DA and the judge would only sign off on misdemeanor homicide. Calling it accidental. And they only signed off on it an hour ago. That was when I was told some bigwig might be showing to try and mess things up."

I turned to Kelly. "An hour ago. About half way here then. We have a leak somewhere. Remind me when we get back to find and plug it." She nodded.

Turning back to the Chief I said. "Chief Jacobs, I promise you I would like nothing better than to see him rot in jail until he gets the needle. Let me guess who the Judge was, Perez. Who was it who told you some bigwig coming to mess things up?" I growled. "Also, what can you tell me about the DA. Is he any good or is he deep in it too?"

"The DA and the judge have a weekly card game so I'm sure no matter what charges he's arrested on, he'll probably walk. Joseph Perez is the judge and he's the one who told us to expect you. Actually, his words were to arrest you on sight."

I looked towards Kelly, "We start with him and work backwards to find the leak." She nodded her understanding.

I turned back to the Chief. "That's your call Chief, but I can assure you it would be the wrong call to make. Why don't we step into your office and call the State AG. I'm sure he might have a different opinion about me than Perez does. Besides, I need to have him send me his arrest warrant as this one is garbage. Let's just say he and I don't see things the same way when it comes to corruption. Where's the Judge are our other 3 stooges at right now?"

"Normally, the Judge is in court but he canceled the rest of the day after he signed the arrest warrant. As far as the DA and the Sheriff I have no idea. Tandy is at his house waiting on us."

"You want to arrest him for murder?" I asked the Chief.

"Damn straight I do, Son." I looked at him funny after he called me son. The man looked to be the same age as me.

"Then let's go to your office for a few minutes so we can get the Attorney General to fax us over a copy of his arrest warrant then. That is if you're serious about it."

"Just like that?"

"Just like that, and you and your department can be the ones to take the credit for putting him behind bars for a very long time. All I ask is that after you lock him up, I would like to meet the parents of both of the girls."

"Has anyone told you the history of the two girls?"

I told him I had read the reports.

"The reports don't tell the whole story. I knew both girls as they were growing up. Rachel lost both of her parents several years back and ended up being raised by her granny. He and Sara, the other girl, ended up becoming friends and were as close as sister's. It wasn't uncommon for one of the girls to be at the other's house. After they graduated high school, they both knew there was no way they could go off to school so they stuck around here and got jobs. Like a lot of young girls, they made a mistake and trusted someone they shouldn't. I'm talking about Tandy.

"Word is, he came across Rachel working at the diner one day and told her she was too pretty to be working there. He told her he could get her a better paying job as a secretary at the local factory he just happened to own. Rachel asked if he had a second opening for her friend Sara. He told her to come by his place that evening and they could go over the paperwork. I'm sure, if you read the autopsy reports, you know both girls suffered.

"Rachel's granny has a heart attack last month and we buried them next to each other. Sara's mother should be at home right now and, while I'm sad to say this, I have her father currently locked up in the jail right now."

"What?"

"I know it's messed up but he got real drunk last night and started making threats on how he was going to kill Tandy for killing his little girl. I have him locked up for his own good and so he can sober up. I have him listed as been held in protective custody so it doesn't go on his record. I'll be cutting him loose as soon as we have Tandy in a jail cell."

I just stood there and shook my head. As much as it pissed me off to know the man was in jail while his little girl's killer was walking free, I understood why the Chief did what he did. "Let's go make some phone calls."

"Who's the pretty lady you got with you?"

"My assistant and don't go getting any ideas. She has a boyfriend who's very jealous, very well connected and extremely lethal."

Stepping into the police station, Kelly and I followed the Chief into his office. He indicated a phone. I pulled mine out instead. Dialing, I waited as it rang. On the third ring I got who I needed.

"Peter here."

Peter. This is Robert and the situation is as bad as I thought it would be. The home team has learned I was on my way an hour before we got here and have started to circle the wagons. Judge Perez would only sign off on misdemeanor homicide. Fax me the State warrant. You need the number?"

"Already got it and have everything loaded. Was just waiting on your call. Listen, if this Judge Perez tries to insert himself into the situation you know what you need to do. I have four Rangers very close in case you need some back up."

"Actually, Chief Jacobs here is being extremely helpful but send them this way all the same. If memory serves me, Perez is dumb enough to think he's above the law so I'm expecting some pushback from him."

"Will do and good luck."

With that the line went dead. Twenty seconds later the fax machine started up. I looked at the Chief. "I believe that is what you have been waiting for."

He got up and walked over and began reading it carefully. "Son, when they said some bigwig was coming to mess things up, they weren't kidding." He laughed. "Let's go bag us a scumbag. You want to ride with me?"

"No Sir. We're letting you grab the headlines on this one. Personally, I think you and your men need this one in order to restore some of the confidence you may have lost with the people here."

Half a dozen police cars headed towards Tandy's house with us sandwiched in towards the back of the line. With lights flashing we were greeted with Tandy's smiling face and I was guessing Judge Perez's sour puss.

Kelly and I stayed in the car and I pulled my phone out dialing Peter again. "Pete, have the Rangers meet us at the station. Make sure they have a copy of the arrest warrant you sent us as well and have one for Judge Perez too. He was actually dumb enough to be here standing with Tandy as we pulled up."

"Are you serious? That's perfect. Now he has to recuse himself from the case since he is a material witness."

"Don't get cocky. They've had four months to arrange their defense and to hide or tamper with evidence. It's not going to be an easy win. I'm about to step out of the car and make my presence known. I'll record everything on my phone once we hang up."

Good idea. Keep me updated."

"Shit. Change of plans. Send the Ranger's to Tandy's house now. The Sheriff just showed up as well. This is about to get ugly."

Hanging up I put my phone on record and got out. Kelly was two steps behind me as we walked up. The Sheriff was shouting he had jurisdiction and as Sheriff he was the highest-ranking law enforcement officer here. The Chief told him to get off his high horse, the arrest was in his town and he had a warrant issued by the State AG for the arrest. That piece of news sent some worried looks between the three men he faced off against. Judge Perez said as judge he would decide who had jurisdiction. That was when I decided to burst everyone's bubble.

"I don't think so, Judge." I said, sneering his title on purpose. "In about two minutes you are going to have four very anger Texas Rangers showing up. They have orders to take Tandy into custody and if you would care to look at the arrest warrant the Chief is holding you will see it is signed by the State's Attorney General and by a State Judge. Both of which trump you."

"Chief, why is this man walking around. I told you to arrest him on sight." Judge Perez yelled.