Discerning Neighbours

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Time was fast approaching, she went up to her bedroom and started to get herself ready, showering and trimming her lady garden, making it presentable just in case. It was a long shot but if things went well and to her advantage, she would expose herself and hopefully Joan would reciprocate. She knew it could all backfire in her face and the evening would be a bust, her nearly non existent relationship with her neighbour would be not much worse than it was currently. That thought alone piqued her curiosity, all the time she had lived in her home, there was never really a relationship between them. The occasional hello was about all it was, which made her question in her mind the voyeuristic tendencies of her neighbour Joan.

*****

There was a knock on the front door, looking at the clock, Rose saw that it was just after 7pm by nearly 10 minutes. Her Nerves were starting to get the better of her and she had a desire to visit the loo and empty her bladder, even though she had already been 5 minutes prior. The silhouette in the glass of the front door made her heart skip a beat, she looked at herself in the mirror quickly before stepping towards the front door. She paused to wait for the knock or the press of the bell but neither were happening, she wanted to just open the door but also didn't want to be too keen or show the fact that she was waiting behind the door. When the knock eventually came, it was so quiet that she barely heard it, she paused. Moments later, the doorbell rang which startled her a little, pausing briefly before she placed her hand on the handle and opened the door.

"Good evening!" She greeted her guest, her voice a little shaky.

"Hello, sorry I am late! I just..." Joan looked into Rose's eyes and then at the ground.

"It's ok, I understand. I saw your silhouette and was going to open the door but felt it best to give you the opportunity to change your mind."

"Oh that was very thoughtful of you but I assure you that I have been looking forward to having dinner with you all day! It is just you know, the..."

"Don't worry, we can talk about that later, come on in!" Rose stood back and gestured with an extended arm.

"Thank you!" Joan smiled sheepishly and stepped over the threshold of the front door into the hallway.

Joan took in her surroundings, she had never been in the house before and was half expecting a more farmhouse vibe like she had in her home. However, the décor and furnishings in Rose's house were more modern, crisp and clean. The artwork on the walls featured a lot of design elements of motorsport, something that she would have expected from a bachelor pad. She followed her host through to the kitchen area and was quite impressed by the design and layout of the extension, the cooking space made her swoon with how much space there was and the array of gadgets that were present.

"You have a lovely home! Your kitchen is beautiful!" Joan said as she turned to look at Rose with an expression of awe on her face.

"Thank you, I enjoy cooking. I would have gone into the industry had I failed in engineering!"

"Oh, is that what you do? Engineering?"

"For all my sins, yes! I work in the car industry, mainly Formula 1."

"Oh nice! Do you travel with the team or are you just based at home?"

"I have toured but because I have Stevie, it was difficult for me to be with the team. Now that he is grown up and fending more for himself, I have the option there if I want it but to be honest, it is nice to just come home and enjoy the extra time away from the confines of work!" She looked at Joan, who looked thoroughly captivated by her words. "Drink? What would you like?"

"Do you have Gin?" Joan thought that she perhaps should have just asked for water but resigned herself to the fact that she needed an alcoholic beverage and Gin was her go to.

"Of course, I have a selection here." She opened a cupboard and there was a large selection of spirits, all of which were organised by type.

"Hendricks is fine!" She smiled.

"Sure thing!" Rose walked to the fridge and pulled out a cucumber, grabbed 2 glasses and set about preparing their drinks. She decided to have the same as her guest. "Fever Tree or Slimline?

"Fever Tree please!"

"Someone clearly loves their Gin?!" She handed a glass over and winked. "Cin-Cin!"

"Cin-Cin!" They both looked into each other's eyes as they touched their glasses together, then taking a large sip.

"I am more of a Rum girl but Gin is nice too!" Rose added.

"I haven't had much experience with Rum, maybe I could try one after?"

"Sure, anything you like!"

Rose quickly placed the prepared Lasagne into the oven and set a timer, she took the salad from the fridge and placed it on the work top. She would put the garlic bread in the oven when the timer went off, then both items would be ready at the same time. Joan was standing by the sliding door looking out into the garden, Rose observed her for a while.

Joan was shorter, she guessed about 5'6'' and could not be more than 70kg. She too was blonde with a few greys here and there, her hair only came to her shoulders and had body to it. She was a lot older than Rose, although she was sure by how much but whatever it was, she looked good considering. She was wearing a long floral skirt and a white vest with a cardigan, she had chosen to wear wedges that made her look taller, so her estimate was off. The skirt fit well and hung off her waist really nicely, accentuating the curve of her bottom and hips. Her breasts were bigger than her own, although she couldn't take a guess due to the cardigan obscuring them. She noticed how little make-up was worn too, at a glance she could only discern a little liner on her eyes and a hint of shadow. Natural beauty for sure, she thought?

"Everything ok?" Joan asked, bringing her back to reality.

"Oh, yes! I was just admiring your outfit!" She walked over and pulled the skirt sideways and released it.

"This old thing?" She blushed. "I don't get out much at all, even my make-up was out of date!" She smiled and shrugged her shoulders.

"Well, you don't really need it! You're a natural!" Rose placed her hand on Joan's arm and squeezed it gently.

"Natural?"

"Natural Beauty!"

"Oh stop! I am just an old bird!"

"Don't be silly! I bet you were a real looker when you were younger!" She smiled, she meant it too. Joan was no supermodel but she had great features, a good nose, kind eyes, full lips and a nice jawline. "What is your age anyway?"

"fifty-five, last month!"

"No way! I took you for between forty-five and fifty!"

"Thank you!" Joan smiled. "You are too kind!"

"What do you do for a living? If you don't mind my asking?"

"I used to be the Post Mistress here in the village, it was all I had ever done since leaving school. Worked my way up and by the age of 25, I was given the post!" She paused. "The Post Office was closed a few years back, Mary Pruitt now operates the most basic of service from her store."

"I didn't know that! So sad that a lot of businesses are closing their doors, I guess that online services are the way forward now!" Rose shrugged her shoulders and smiled.

"Yes indeed, It wasn't nice at the time either, hence why Mary and I don't get along anymore. There was a time that we were good friends but she offered her services and eventually I was pushed into early retirement or redundancy if that better fits. They paid me off handsomely for my years of service and that was that!"

"Oh dear! And now?"

"I do a bit of tour guide work in Oxford, walk around with my umbrella showing foreigners our delightful city."

"That sounds amazing! I have always wanted to go on one of those!"

"I am happy to guide you one day, free of charge too!" She turned and smiled. "It would be an honour!"

"I will hold you to that offer!"

"Please do!"

Rose went back to the dinner and checked on things, all was looking good and would soon be ready. She busied herself with setting up the table in the kitchen, she had thought about going outside but there was a slight chill in the air. Joan had insisted on helping her but she simply declined the offer, she was her guest after all. Both women were stealing glances at each other, there was an energy building up between them, they both seemed content with the fact even though there was still the elephant in the room. They were still yet to talk about recent events. They made light conversation whilst waiting for the meal to be ready, The alarm went off.

"Ooh! Here we go!" Rose glided to the oven and opened the door, the aroma filled the kitchen pretty quickly.

"Oh that smells divine!" Joan added. "Anything I can do to help?"

"No no! Just take a seat!"

Rose placed the Lasagne on the prepared table, followed by the garlic ciabatta and the salad. She was proud of her offering and seeing the look on her guests face made her swell with pride too. She extended her hand and asked her to make a start while she made fresh drinks for them both. Helping herself to a sizable portion when she returned with their drinks, they both tucked in to their meal. Both women ate quietly at first, glancing at each other with approving looks. Rose finally broke the silence.

"After you left the store, Mrs Pruitt said something about you that I found rather rude and not her place to say anything about anyway!" Rose wanted to know more, taking a risk but what was there to lose.

"I see! Did she say that I was a lesbian?"

"She did, yes!" Rose looked at Joan. "I gave her a piece of my mind in return!"

"Would it bother you if it were true?"

"Not at all, it is your life and how you choose to live it is your business!" Their eyes met, holding each other's gaze briefly. "Are you? If you don't mind my asking?"

"Honestly, I couldn't say because I have never physically had a relationship with another woman." She took a large swig of her drink. "There was however a moment, a few years ago now, that I misread a situation between myself and another woman and..."

"And?" Rose's eyes widened and the proverbial penny dropped in her mind. "Oh! You and Mary Pruitt?"

"Yes, I shouldn't really talk about this but there was a moment, I took the chance and it backfired on me! Ever since, she has never let it go and goes out of her way to make life that little bit more difficult for me."

"It sounds to me that she obviously has more of an issue with herself than you! Has she never tried talking about it with you?"

"No, she just hides in her shop most of the time and then acts like the village matriarch during public events like fetes etc. I just ignore her for the most part, just a shame really!"

"Oh, do you still have feelings there?"

"Perhaps, but I don't dwell on them. No point really! I was married once too!"

"Really? What happened?"

"Well, it only lasted just over a year. We had tried for a baby but it was later discovered that I couldn't have children, he left me soon after."

"Oh no!"

"It is fine, he re-married shortly after our divorce and started a family. I was happy for him, even though it hurt me a lot!" Joan took another sip of her drink. "Since that moment, I no longer looked for male company because I was too afraid to fall in love again and disappoint again."

"Sorry to hear that!"

"It is ok, I harbour no resentment."

"So, you and Mary? Forgive me if I am out of line by asking."

"Don't be silly, I don't mind at all." She put her hand on Rose's. "We were really close and spent most days together in some fashion or another, one evening after quiz night at the pub. I made a pass at her on the walk home, holding each other was one thing but when I kissed her on the lips, she rebuffed me and walked off angrily."

"And then she..."

"She avoided me, wouldn't return my phone calls, and started talking about me behind my back to others in the village. A coincidence really but shortly after, the post office closed down and she had only been too happy to take on the lighter version of the service in her store."

"Ouch! Sorry that happened to you!"

"I have a good life, I don't really want for anything. I have the odd moment where I miss companionship, just like anyone would I guess but over time, I have learned to enjoy my own company." She looked at Rose again and smiled, shrugging her shoulders. "What about you?"

"Me? Ok well, never been married although having a baby at 19 with my then boyfriend. He left the picture shortly after Stevie was born and has not really been in our lives ever since! Last I heard, he was working the oil rigs in the north sea. He married and started a family, I can only assume that he grew up at some point." She now had a drink. "Shame really, he has missed out on his amazing son and I guess he will answer to it at some point in his life, or not!"

"Did you ever meet anyone else?"

"I dedicated myself to my career, thankfully my parents were amazing by helping with Stevie as much as they could. We have a good life, it seems to have paid off."

"You do have a lovely home and Stevie has always been very polite with me, helped me out a few times too with some heavy lifting."

"Really? He never mentioned that before!" Rose was shocked that he had never mentioned it but proud nonetheless. "He is a good boy!"

"He is! Oh and I haven't really considered getting too serious with another man again, life is a lot simpler to be honest. I do have the occasional encounter though, purely sexual, a means to an end as it were!"

"I see. I never really had that because well, being barren and all, the idea of sex with a man felt pointless to me. I don't think I could mentally connect with a man in bed, I would not enjoy it."

Rose stood up and started clearing their plates once they had finished eating, Joan had gotten up too and was helping her clear the table, load the dishwasher and wiped the table. There was a moment of silence as they both finished their drinks, Joan asked for the location of the toilet and was shown to it. Rose couldn't help herself, she stayed nearby and waited for the sound of Joan's urine splashing into the water. When it started, she felt her arousal begin and closed her eyes so she could focus, the sounds faded and then stopped which made her step quietly away back into the kitchen. She was pouring more drinks as she heard Joan walking back into the room behind her.

"Here you go!" Rose handed her a glass.

"Thank you! Any chance I can take a look at your garden?"

"Sure! It is a little nippy though!"

"Well, you can take my arm if you like? Unless you are afraid of being too close to a 'lesbian'?" She joked and extended her arm as they stepped outside. They set their glasses down on the table outside.

"I do have an open mind! Besides, recent events!" She turned and winked.

"Oh god, I am so sorry! I honestly don't know what came over me!"

"Well, if it were the one off, then I would believe you!" Rose gave her a reassuring squeeze on the arm.

"Oh no! That wasn't the first time you saw me? This is even worse, were you not mad?"

"At first, yes but after thinking about it and how my body reacted, It was exciting and I actually enjoyed it."

"This is so embarrassing!" Joan felt relieved that Rose was not angry with her, she couldn't suppress a giggle.

"Please don't be embarrassed, I am flattered that you wanted to watch me and I will admit that I was hoping you would again, I have fantasised about it."

Joan stopped to admire some of the plants, she also looked around and saw how private the garden was in comparison to her own. She admitted to herself that she probably would have spent some naked time outdoors too if her garden was as secluded. That is what grabbed her attention that first time, seeing a beautiful woman naked and at ease was such a draw for her. One thing that still played on her mind though.

"What made you urinate like you did last night?" She asked in earnest.

"I don't know! I often do it when I pleasure myself but as to why I did it last night knowing that you were watching me, I cannot really say."

"I enjoyed it!" Joan admitted, feeling her arousal heighten. Her nipples were hard and she could feel the moisture in her panties.

"Really? It did feel rather special for me too, it was a nice orgasm." she looked at Joan. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure, ask anything you like!"

"Do you pleasure yourself? I mean, did you pleasure yourself?"

"I was at the time, when you opened your eyes and looked directly at me, I froze in shock and all I wanted to do was run. I was too mortified to continue." She looked down at the grass. "I couldn't understand at first but it later dawned on me that if you had been angry, you would have shouted after me and perhaps knocked on my door. God, I am so sorry!"

"Shhhh, stop apologising!" Rose turned to face Joan, she brushed her hand across her face and held her cheek, stroking it with her thumb gently. "Can I kiss you?"

Rose felt compelled, she knew it was a risk, even more so now that she knew more about Joan's past. It wasn't born out of pity for her guest, she had a carnal desire and she felt that there was a good chance it would be mutual, considering the voyeurism and by her own admission. She was equally prepared for the rebuff that might occur.

"May I ask why?" She lent against Rose's hand, eyes searching deep.

"Because I would like to and I think you would like to as well, am I wrong?" She responded in almost a whisper.

"No. I would like it very much!" Joan whispered back. "It is just..."

"Shhhh!" Rose moved her hand and placed her index finger on Joan's lips, looking into her eyes as she moved her head forward.

The two women pressed their bodies together as they began to kiss, soft and gentle at first, their tongues exploring. Rose moved her other hand down Joan's arm to her hand, Joan took hold of it and moved it behind her bottom. Rose gave off a slight moan as she squeezed her buttock gently, she moved her hand down further and squeezed again and pulled her hand upwards, Joan sucked in her breath, shocked and exhilarated by the action of her ass cheeks being pulled apart. Joan moved her hands to Rose's hips, wanting to explore more but felt overwhelmed by everything. She gently pushed herself away, they stood facing each other by a few inches.

"Everything ok? Is it a bit too much?" Rose asked, she was a little concerned that she had gone too far.

"It is a little overwhelming but yes, everything is ok!" She brushed a hand through her hair and smiled. "I just, I am just unsure of what I should be doing, or what you want me to do?"

"We can do anything, everything or nothing! There is no pressure whatsoever." Rose took her by the hand and they continued strolling around the garden. "You are a good kisser by the way!"

"Thank you! It is a good job that we both ate the garlic bread!" She giggled.

"I had the same thought!" They both laughed. "What perfume are you wearing? It is very nice!"

"I don't wear perfume, I bathe everyday using natural ingredients like honey, lavender or rose, citrus, spices like cinnamon and cloves, Epsom salts and other stuff."

"Oh wow!"

"I can make you a few kits if you like! It is a hobby, I also make natural soap." Joan had a proud expression on her face.

"I would love that! Thank you." She glanced at Joan. "I feel like I need to apologise to you as well."

"Oh? What for?" They had arrived back at the table with their drinks, Rose picked her glass up and drained it.

"For my little display, I know you said that you enjoyed it but it was out of character for me and I hadn't considered your thoughts or feelings!"

"Well, I am here now aren't I?" Joan now drained her glass and smiled.

"Fancy another?" Rose looked to her glass, then at Joan's.

"Yes please, could I try one of your rum drinks?"