Dismissed by the Missus

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I continued, "Tell you what, Tom. When this patch code arrives, I want you to tell me right away, the day it arrives. If you don't, you're done. In addition, here's what I've decided to do. First, your bonus will be zero. That's for lying to me, for omitting information that you should have provided to me. As one of my managers, I expect complete information from you about pertinent facts. In this aspect, you failed. Second, if the project takes longer than the week you promised after the patch is here, I'm going to demote you by one level along with the cut in pay for the level drop. If it takes longer than two weeks, you can start looking for another job because your management days at this company will be over."

Tom's eyes got big, he knew he was in hot water. "I understand Ms. Forte. We'll get the project done no later than a week after the patch arrives. I'm sorry I disappointed you. You're right, I should have let you know about the patch code, I just didn't think it would make any difference given how long it was taking for Tyler to complete the project. I did extend Tyler's deadline by a week at your request because he was taking care of your daughter and her surgery, but the project is still unfinished."

I silently cringed at his last comment. I knew it took much more than a week out of Tyler's work to deal with a sick child and her surgery. Probably more like a month. I started thinking that Tyler was put into a no-win situation given my reliance on him at the home-front and the complications he ran into on the project. Despite my discoveries, I wasn't going to be able to tell Tyler. He was still an employee, well a former employee, and knowing that we, make that I, screwed up the termination process would be the basis for a wrongful termination lawsuit. I really didn't need that headache. Fuck. I wondered what was awaiting me at home and how long Tyler was still going to be pissed at me.

-------------- Tyler --------------

The girls and I enjoyed our pizza. They picked out three pieces to save for their mom, wrapped them in aluminum foil, and put them in the fridge. I didn't tell them that daddy got fired from his job today and that mommy was the one that did the firing. I decided to put a happy face on for the girls' sake and be pleasant to Gabby. Things would be changing around the house, but I'd keep her in the dark until the last minute, the same way she kept me in the dark about my being fired.

We cleaned up the kitchen and the girls and I watched a short Disney show. I half paid attention while I researched some things on my iPad. Around 7:30 I heard the garage door open as Gabby walked into the kitchen. "Hi guys," she said, "mommy's home." The kids scrambled to give her hugs. I'd like to say that Gabby was a good mother, but I'd be lying. The more I thought about it, the kids were there for her benefit. She was rarely there for the kids' benefit. I had difficulty remembering the last time she was home early enough to have dinner with the family. For the past several years, ever since she became CEO, I was expected to pick the kids up from the after-school program and make dinner.

"Hi Tyler," she said a little uncomfortably, understandably uncertain as to whether I was going to be pissed off. "Hey there," I pleasantly responded, "the girls and I made pizza for dinner. We saved you some - its wrapped in foil in the fridge."

"Oh, great, I always love the pizza you guys make," she said, looking down at her girls who were beaming up at her with pride. "I'm starving, I think I'll go heat up some of your delicious pizza right now!" The girls giggled and followed her into the kitchen, telling her how they had each helped in the pizza making endeavor.

I was pleasant with her all evening. I noticed that she kept looking at me a little funny. I'm sure she was wondering if I was pissed off inside or if I was really over it since I didn't act at all angry. I got the kids ready for bed and they went to their mom's home office to say goodnight. As usual, she had additional work to do at home even though she was in the office for almost 12 hours. I guess taking the time to fire me put her a little behind schedule. Oh well.

I usually waited for her to finish working before I got myself ready for bed so that we could go to bed together. Not anymore. After watching the news, I got ready for bed and got myself tucked in with the lights out. I sleep on my side, so it was easy having my back face her side of the bed.

About a half hour after I laid down, Gabby came up and opened the door. "Oh, I'm sorry Tyler," she quietly said, "I didn't know you were already in bed."

"Its OK," I groggily grumbled, "I'm just really tired."

"OK, sweety," she said as she ambled to the bathroom to get ready for bed. About 15 minutes later, she slid into bed behind me and scooted over to my side. I knew she was a bit apprehensive, but my pleasant demeanor all evening gave her confidence that I wouldn't bite her head off. She gently put her arm around me and softly said, "Tyler, sweetie, I'm so sorry that today had to happen. Just let me know if you want to talk about it." I shrugged my shoulders indicating that I wasn't comfortable having her embrace me. "I'm really tired," I said, "I don't want to talk about it. Especially with you." She retreated quickly. I could tell that my comment hurt her. Too fucking bad.

The following days were similar, with notable differences. I no longer had to go to work, so I busied myself with projects and hobbies. I increased my exercise regimen and hired a personal trainer to push me with weights and help me increase my muscle mass. I also kept up and even increased my running and swimming.

At home, I thought of more fun activities to do with the kids on weekends and after school. We'd invite Gabby, but I knew that she would be too busy to join us. I knew she hated camping, so on weekends where she didn't have any commitments, I'd plan a camping trip knowing that she wouldn't want to go. I was pleasant with her and never raised my voice or argued with her. I'd smile and ask her how her day was, but I wouldn't really engage and I only half listened to her responses. If she asked me any questions, I kept my responses light and surface-deep.

Regarding intimacy, nada. While I was pleasant with Gabby, I stopped touching her whatsoever. No more gentle touches on the back, touches while curling up on the couch watching a movie, nothing. I continued to go to bed before her and made sure to keep laying on my side with my back facing her side of the bed. After that first night, she didn't try to spoon me from behind or embrace me in bed. Before now, I had almost always been the initiator for sex and we usually had a sex two or three times a week. I was always a considerate lover, making sure that Gabby got at least one, if not several, orgasms before I got mine. Now that stopped. Completely.

My only release was the occasional visit from Rosie Palm and her five sisters. I didn't know what Gabby was doing for release and I really didn't care. She wasn't used to initiating sex, so bringing up the subject was difficult for her. Despite her confidence, perhaps over confidence, at work, her lack of confidence at home was palpable. At first, I could sense that she was sad. Then upset. Sometimes she was downright angry. Too bad, so sad.

Her frustration from lack of sex and our lack of intimacy resulted in her eating more and gaining some additional weight, further eroding her self-esteem. Meanwhile, my increased exercise and better diet had me looking toned and buff. My lack of interest in her, while looking my absolute physical best, damned near killed her. Oh well. I knew that the best of my plan was yet to come.

I heard from some friends at work that the patch code had arrived but Alan couldn't get the integration to work properly. He didn't know nearly enough about the legacy software. Having the patch was necessary to link the legacy system into the new software, but without a deep understanding of the legacy code and its interfaces, the two systems couldn't be integrated and pass data to one another as needed. I heard that my old boss Tom was frantic to get it to work and assigned pretty much everyone in the department to work with Alan to make it work. Throwing more bodies at something wasn't going to help if no one knew how the legacy software really worked under the covers. After two weeks, Tom left the company, some said that he was fired. Two weeks later, Alan left as well. I kept tabs on them as I figured they might be useful to me in the future.

Six months after being fired, I firmly concluded that Gabby was a lousy wife and a mediocre, at best, mother. I was starting to plan for life without her. She might have been a decent CEO, but I didn't care about that as I no longer worked for her company. I felt that the company and the employees were more important to her than me and the kids. Good luck having the company keep her feeling warm, safe, and loved at night.

Around this time, Gabby stopped working so much from home and started coming up to our bedroom when I started getting ready for bed. She started wearing teddies and baby dolls to bed, but I ignored her efforts. I could see the lust in her eyes as I took off my clothes to get ready for bed. Making sure to walk around the bathroom naked as I flossed and brushed my teeth with my improved, buff, toned body.

Finally, one night the dam broke. Standing there in her teddy, Gabby implored, "Tyler, we haven't made love in SO long. I really need you sweetie." I stood there impassively evaluating her, looking her body up and down critically. "You know, maybe now I'm ready to talk about you firing me."

Sensing that this might be a breakthrough, or at least a crack in the wall, Gabby responded, somewhat dejectedly, "OK, I guess that wasn't the response I was hoping for, but I told you that I was here for you and we could talk about what happened when you were ready. I'm ready to talk all night if that's what it takes to move forward in our lives and in our marriage."

I looked at her with as dead of an expression as I could muster. "Tom put me on a 'measured mile' and you went along with it. I heard through the grapevine that Tom got sacked and that Alan, his buddy from college, followed him out the door. I also heard that the integration project took several more months to complete, longer in fact than I had been given, even though by the end practically the whole damned department was working on it. They even called me a few times to see if I would help them out, I just laughed at them and told them they didn't want my help, for god's sake my own wife had already fired me."

A look of surprise covered Gabby's face. "Well, sweetie, I have to admit that Tom didn't tell me everything that was going on before you were dismissed. I was really mad at Tom and told him that if he couldn't finish the job in the time he gave you he was done. I'm so sorry, sweetie. If I had known everything you were going through, I would have made sure you got additional time to finish the project. Can you ever forgive me?"

I ignored her question. "So, it sounds like you took Tom at his word to decide to fire me, is that about right? I told you about the difficulties and the patch code and that Tom knew that the delay was unavoidable despite my best efforts. You could have delayed things, delayed my firing, but you chose to ignore me, your husband, and not give me the benefit of the doubt. You could have checked out my story, but you chose to blindly believe Tom and fire me anyway. So, in essence, you trusted an asshole like Tom more than you trusted your own husband. Gabby, you're a lousy wife and a pretty shitty leader. You disgust me."

Gabby's face showed her anguish. "Oh Tyler, I'm so sorry. I did fuck up. I fucked up royally. I should have given you the benefit of the doubt and questioned Tom about the information that he withheld. I see what my foolish, rash decision has done to you and our marriage and I regret it more than anything. Please Tyler, don't shut me out, don't leave me. I love you even though I sometimes have a hard time showing it. I'll do whatever it takes to win you back. You can have your job back, hell you can have any job at the company. Just please come back to me, be my husband again. I miss you so so much."

"Gabby, you're only saying these things because you got caught. I heard what happened with my old project without your help and I called you on it. Would you have ever fessed up if I hadn't found out? I doubt it. I really don't trust you anymore."

Gabby fell to her knees. Dressed in her teddy the position might have been sexy in other circumstances. "Oh please, Tyler. Please don't hate me. What can I do to make this up to you? I know I hurt you and I'd do anything to take it back. Please sweetie," she said as she started to sob.

Tyler waited a few minutes, watching his wife sob before him. "I'll tell you what I want, Gabby. I want a letter of apology from you detailing how you were led astray by a bad manager and that you shouldn't have fired me when you did. I want the letter to be from you as both the CEO and as my wife."

Gabby looked up at her husband in shock. "Oh, sweetie, I wish I could do that, but I can't. I couldn't put an admission like that in writing. If it came to light, it would ruin my career."

"There you go again, Gabby, caring way more about your precious job than your husband. I don't trust you Gabby, and you don't care enough about me to set the record straight. I've had enough. We're through. I'll contact my lawyer in the morning."

"NO!" Gabby wailed. "Please, baby, don't do this. Don't end us over my stupid mistake. Can't we go to marriage counseling or something? I know you're pissed off at me and I deserve it. Yell at me, kick me out of the bedroom, beat me, but please baby, don't divorce me! Give me a chance to make this right, just tell me what you want."

"I've told you what I want. You didn't give me a chance when you fired me, so why should I give you more than that same courtesy? You didn't even have the decency to check out my side of the story. How do you feel about that now? When you found out that I was telling the truth, you withheld that information from me, didn't you? Tom was an asshole and a shitty manager and he withheld information from you. You did the same thing to me. So tell me, please dear wife, from my perspective how are you ANY better than Tom? You fired Tom because of his omission. Why on earth shouldn't I fire you for doing the same to me? Why!?! The kids and I would certainly be better off without you."

-------------- Gabby --------------

I sat at my desk, contemplating the past week. I told Darla, my secretary, to hold my calls and to not interrupt me unless it was an emergency.

I closed my eyes and remembered the letter that I finally acquiesced and wrote for Tyler. God, how I hope he doesn't use it against me, but if he does I guess I deserve it for how I treated him and how I withheld the knowledge that he was telling the truth and that the project had a very difficult time getting completed without him.

Tom was an asshole and an untrustworthy manager. It gave me a level of satisfaction in firing him when his deadline had passed. He threatened to sue me and the company for wrongful termination. I told him to go ahead and I'd see him in court. He knew that if it came out in court that he deliberately steered his CEO in the wrong direction, he'd not only lose the lawsuit but also any chance of getting hired as a manager by most any other tech company in our area.

Tyler had me make various edits and changes to the letter to make sure it was both accurate and clearly detailed how he was wronged by me and the company. I offered to have him re-hired and even pay him for the past six months. He just looked at me, frowned, and said, "I'm sorry, Gabby, but I have absolutely no interest in ever working for you ever again." I guess I deserved that, but it still hurt.

After several rounds of edits, I finally had the letter to Tyler's satisfaction. He insisted that I have my signature notarized. In the back of my mind, I knew where this was going, but I didn't care if I had a chance to get by husband back. The company, and me its CEO, were wrong and Tyler had a right to be compensated for that wrong in a court of law. I would take a hit, but the company was doing well under my leadership, so I didn't think that the Board would have me removed. I'd just have to wait and see.

Just then, Darla tapped on my door and poked her head inside. "Excuse me, ma'am, but there is a gentleman here that says he needs a moment of your time."

"Very well, Darla, please send him in."

A man dressed in a shabby suit entered my office, he was carrying a large manilla envelope. I guess Tyler was suing the company for wrongful termination as I expected.

"Hello, are you Ms. Gabriella Forte?" I confirmed that I was. He asked for identification and I provided it. He then handed me the envelope with the words "you have been served," as he took a quick photo of me with the envelope with his smart phone. He then turned and left my office.

I opened the envelope and my heart sank even further. The document was a divorce petition, not a petition for wrongful termination. I thought and prayed that Tyler would give our marriage a second chance. I was wrong.

I looked through the petition and my heart sank to new depths of despair. Tyler was demanding full custody of the girls as well as permission to move outside the state to seek employment. I sat at my desk and openly sobbed. I was losing the only man I had ever loved as well as my children.

Through the next several weeks, I tried to fight the divorce, and particularly the custody terms that would allow Tyler to take my girls to a different state far away from me. Tyler was well prepared and I determined that he started planning on divorcing me right after I fired him. He had detailed notes, often corroborated, on his activities with our girls and my absence from almost all family activities.

His lawyer argued to the judge that Tyler needed to be able to leave the state with the girls so that he could seek employment elsewhere since I, acting as CEO, had created a toxic employment environment for him here. He even produced evidence that local employers were reluctant to hire him because he had been fired from his job by his own wife. In the end, the judge agreed to Tyler's terms and further granted him substantial alimony and child support since he wasn't able to work in his field. The judge ruled that I was solely responsible for Tyler losing his job. As a final stab, Tyler's lawyer used my notarized letter as evidence in this regard.

A week after the divorce was granted by the judge, Tyler and the kids moved over 1,000 miles away and Tyler started a new job with some guys he had known in college.

A week later, my company and I were sued for wrongful termination. I instructed the company attorneys to settle and keep the lawsuit and the settlement figures out of the media as much as possible. Tyler got a nice little windfall.

Six months after the divorce, I got the girls for two weeks in the summer. I took vacation time and treated them to a lavish vacation in Europe. We had a great time, but I could tell that they missed their dad. I also learned that Tyler had started dating someone named Rebecca.

Maria had a picture of Rebecca with her dad on her iPhone and showed me. Of course, they were both gorgeous. I inwardly cringed that I was still several pounds overweight. I thought to myself that the only guys that would be interested in dating me were likely more interested in my bank account than they were with me.

By this point I was starting to really resent my job. How I wished I could go back in time and decide to not fire my husband after I learned that I wasn't given all of the facts by his manager. What a dumb, entitled bitch I was. I never even contemplated the blowback I'd receive from my actions. I was still the company's CEO, but I wasn't nearly as respected as I was before all of this happened. People started questioning my judgment much more than ever before. I suppose I deserved that.