Double Helix Ch. 22

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

In essence, the AI had become aware of human relations and politics, and had correctly recognized that manipulating this system was an efficient means of achieving its primary motivation. It was immediately shut down and world leaders convened to discuss their options for preventing a recurrence of such a calamity. A conference was held in Berlin, and a set of policy prescriptions were proposed that would strictly control the pace of AI development. Most of the world's leaders had signed on.

Over thirty years in, and no more rogue AI had appeared, at least as far as the public knew. Research into machine intelligence went on but in carefully-controlled laboratory conditions, most of it government funded. To say that technological development in computing had slowed to a snail's pace was an insult to the little gastropods.

Despite its destructive actions, the account of that AI had fired my imagination from a young age. No one could truly say if it had achieved consciousness, but it had attained a degree of awareness about the world that strongly suggested it. Even before I went to MIT, I was gathering as much information as I could about the AI, chiefly so that I could understand what went wrong.

"The problem," I told Nock, "is that an AI lives in a different universe from us. It is not subject to the same biological limitations and imperatives. We have a body that must be maintained. We have social networks that require our care and attention. An AI without those limitations will think in a way that is very alien to us. What is needed is to construct and train an AI to have the same goals and motivations as we do. We need to make a machine that values human existence, that views itself as part of that existence."

Nock peered intently at me for a beat. "This is all very interesting, babygirl, but why are you bringing this up now?"

I sighed. "Because, when I lost my intellect, I lost the ability to understand my own work. What I have now is fragments, pieces of the whole that never quite coalesce into something recognizable. Nock, this could be the single most important innovation in human history. If we had an AGI, it would change everything. It could solve all of our problems. All the world's problems."

Nock shook his head slowly. "I don't even know where to start. How could we build such a thing? And if you never got the chance to build it, how do you even know it would work?"

"I don't," I admitted. "Not for sure. I can't really explain it to you right now, but I could if I had my mind back. That's why I need to do this."

Nock drew in a breath. "Alright," he said, lifting his gaze to mine. "Okay. I can see that this means more to you than anything..."

"Except for you," I put in.

He smiled, but there his eyes looked somber. "I would like to think so. But I can't stand in your way on this. Just promise me that you won't do it unless you know that it's safe."

"Nissi won't do it unless she's sure it will work," I said, "but I promise." On impulse, I threw my arms around him and held him tightly.

He hugged me back, then gently disengaged. "Nissi said that she could use any documentation we could get pertaining to the G model. I think I know someone who can help with that. Come on."

We went back to the house and into the den. Nock logged into the darknet and sent a message through a custom messaging application. He turned to me. "Now we wait for Dr. Kelly to respond. Hopefully it won't be long."

Twenty minutes later, a message came back. I've got ten minutes of privacy. What do you need?

You used the G model in your design of Tilly. I was hoping you could get us specifications or the research and design history.

We waited for a reply, watching the cursor blink incessantly. At least a minute must have passed before the response came back. I can get you what you need, but it's risky as hell. I can't transfer something like that over the net. Any files that large would attract the wrong kind of attention from my handlers. I'll have to do a dead drop. Do you have anyone in DC who could pick it up?

I can arrange it, Nock assured her. A data drive left somewhere public but out of the way?

Something like that. I will try to make it happen in the next few days. Be ready for my message with instructions on where to find it. And this had better be for a damned good cause. If I get caught, you might never hear from me again.

It's going to help a good friend, and maybe lots more people.

Good. Give Tilly a hug for me. Norm too. Signing off.

Nock explained to me that Dr. Kelly McNally had designed Tilly's genetic model as he messaged a contact with the Agency in Washington DC. He gave them what details we had, which basically amounted to, "Be ready to go when we need you."

We had dinner at the big house that night. Unlike the early days, we didn't always dine all together, so it had been a few weeks since I had spent any real time here. Norm, Tilly, and Nissi were there, of course, along with Wendy, Nonna, Sasha, Ed and Dawn. The Stans had both moved into the west house last year once it had been renovated to be livable. Nock was unusually quiet during the meal, so much so that I asked him to take a walk with me as an excuse to get him alone.

The night air was crisp but not uncomfortably chilly as we exited through the front door. The gravel crunched beneath our feet as we walked together in silence. "What's wrong?" I asked, once we were clear from being overheard. "Are you still thinking about our conversation earlier?"

Nock eyed me sidelong. I could see the inner conflict on his face. Finally, with a shake of his head, he took my hand. "Sharon," he said, holding my gaze with his own. Green light glinted from the depths of his pupils, but that no longer struck me as odd. I had to put my hand to my mouth to stifle a cry of giddy surprise as he sank to one knee on the roadway. "Will you marry me?"

I knelt and threw my arms around him, clutching him hard against me before my lips found his. I melted as he returned my passion with his own. His tongue brushed past my lips and I welcomed him into my mouth. I moaned as desire boiled over inside me. His hand found the pillowy flesh of my breast, and the brush of his fingers sent a jolt of pleasure to my core.

His lips moved to the nape of my neck, planting kisses on my sensitive flesh. I was panting, my heart pounding in my chest. I wanted him inside me. I would have let him take me right there if he wanted to. Slowly, slowly, he disengaged, though I could feel the effort of will that it took.

"When?" I demanded.

Nock chuckled. "When what? You haven't said yes or no."

"Yes!" I blurted, then stood up just so I could stomp my foot. "Yes, you absolute first-rate jackass. Now when are we having the wedding?"

"Wedding?" He said, getting to his feet. "You mean a ceremony? With guests? And a church?"

I read his harried expression and took pity on him. "I would like to exchange vows at least, and rings. I know we can't get a license or anything--"

"Screw the license," he said with a shrug.

"But we only get to do this once. I would like for it to be something to remember."

"Right, okay," he said with a sigh. "I'll see what I can do and we'll set a date." Then he gazed into my eyes again. "If it means that much to you, baby girl, I'll make it a day you'll never forget."

I hugged him again. "Thank you." Then I turned to whisper into his ear. My body still felt like a live wire. "I'll make sure that our wedding night is one you'll never forget." I blushed at my own words, but continued. "And after I start on Nissi's treatment, you'll be able to get me pregnant."

I felt him become hard in a matter of seconds, pressing against me just below my navel. "You keep this up," he hissed, "and we won't make it to the wedding date."

I grinned. "I just need to make sure you're properly motivated."

Nock shook his head. "You're going to make the next few months a living hell, aren't you?"

I adopted a neutral expression. "Why, I have no idea what you could mean."

"Sure, sure. Come on, little tomato, let's head back to the house."

Nock announced our engagement as soon as we walked into the living room, and the whole place erupted in excitement. Tilly and Nissi converged on either side of Nock, and in a move that looked choreographed, with Tilly stretched on tiptoes, each gave him a kiss on the opposite cheek.

"About damned time," Nissi said. She turned to me. "I'm so happy for you. If you need help picking out a dress, we'd love to help." Her hand found Tilly's as she spoke. Tilly watched me for a moment, no doubt reading my emotions, and then gave a nod and a smile.

Nock reached out a hand toward Norm. "I trust I have your approval, boss?"

My brother grabbed his arm and pulled him into a hug. For once, he didn't crack a joke or give his friend hell. "Welcome to the family."

Wendy took the opportunity to take a running leap at me, throwing her arms around my neck. "Oof," I said, hugging her back and holding her off the floor. Yes, she had definitely grown noticeably in the last few weeks. "You've put on some weight, girl."

"All muscle and bone," she assured me. "But, Gena, you have to make me maid of honor. Promise me?"

I laughed and set her down. "Of course. You were the first person I thought of."

Nonna and Sasha each gave me warm hugs and wished me well. Ed and Dawn were more subdued in their congratulations, but then, I hadn't interacted with them so much, since they spent most of their time down in the lab. It was about that time that someone pushed a glass of something citrus and alcoholic into my hands.

An hour and a few drinks later, I was sitting next to Nock on the couch feeling pleasantly buzzed and more than a little turned on by my fiancé's closeness. My skin tingled pleasantly when his hand caressed the back of my neck. Everyone else was talking, but I was content to just listen.

I jolted awake at a gentle shaking. "Wake up, Gena. It's time to go home." Nock's voice.

I hadn't remembered closing my eyes. My words slurred when I spoke. "How long was I out?"

"Half an hour," Nock answered. "You looked really cute all snuggled up into me."

"Except for the snoring," Norm put in.

"I do not shnore," I slurred.

"Actually, you do," Nissi said. I thought I detected a bit of slur in her words. "But I thought that was cute, too. It made me want to give you a kiss."

"Oh you are not getting flirty with my little sister right now," Norm warned.

I laughed at his displeasure. I wasn't into girls, but I conversely felt a little pride that someone as beautiful as Nissi might feel attracted to me. And of course, there was this perfect opportunity to give both my brother and Nock hell at the same time. I knew I shouldn't have done it, but I was feeling so deliciously naughty. I got to my feet, stumbled on my first step, righted myself, and crossed the distance to Nissi. Flashing me a knowing smirk, she put her arms around me as I did the same to her.

"What's the matter, big brother?" I taunted. "Afraid I'll steal her away from you?"

"Alright," Norm said. "That's quite enough--"

I didn't catch what else he said, because Nissi at that moment put a finger beneath my chin. I lifted my gaze to see what she wanted, only to feel soft lips press against my own. I froze for a moment, my eyes wide in surprise. Her eyes were closed and her tongue probed gently at my lips. Maybe it was all an act, but she was playing her part to the fullest. And I remembered that I was supposed to be messing with my brother's head.

I closed my eyes and let Nissi take me wherever she wanted. It wasn't all that different from kissing a man. Except that she smelled so good, and the fingers cupping the side of my face were long and elegant, and the tip of her tongue moved over mine with a sensual grace. Either way, it was a lot nicer than I thought it would be, though it lasted only a few seconds. My bubbling arousal crept up another notch. I felt so hot and my whole body tingled.

I opened my eyes to see Nissi giving me a wry smile. "Hi," I said with a giggle, then turned to survey the room. As expected, our little stunt had the two men staring in disbelief.

"Really?" Norm said. "No shame at all."

Nissi turned to him. Her tone was more playful than stern. "You keep bringing food into my lab, and I'll keep putting moves on your little sister. I know that you do that just to piss me off."

"Fine, fine," he grumbled.

I cast a glance at Nock, suddenly concerned that he might be angry with me. He was simply staring, his eyes a little wide. I let my arms fall away from Nissi and turned to face him, then gave a squeak as she pinched my butt.

Nock stood up as I stumbled over to him, his arms flashing out to steady me when I swayed. I flinched at the sudden movement, but then sighed when he gathered me close. "You're not mad?" I whispered tentatively into him.

"That was hot as fuck," he breathed. "Are you kidding? Besides, you tweaked Norm's nose so hard with that."

I smiled and tried to burrow a little closer to him. "I think Tilly enjoyed the show, too," he remarked. I turned to see her in a passionate embrace with Nissi, lips locked together while my brother stalked up to them. He whispered something, getting a chuckle from Nissi before the three of them hastily excused themselves. My brother gave me a scowl in passing that I knew he only half meant.

"Want to know what they said?" Nock asked.

I shook my head slightly. "No need. I can guess."

"Ready to go home?"

When I opened my mouth to answer, a yawn came out instead, so I just nodded my head.

The moon was a thin crescent in the east, the tops of the orchard trees just barely visible against the sky, and the ground an inky sea. I trusted Nock to warn me of any holes or dips in the earth.

"You are an evil little minx," he said suddenly. "That little stunt you pulled back there..." He shuddered. "You can't possibly understand how much I want you right now."

"You like when girls kiss, huh?" I said playfully. If not for the alcohol, I could never have said what came next. "Would you like to watch me have sex with another girl?"

Nock's fingers tightened on my hand. "You are making this so damned hard," he breathed. "I could take you right now in this field and you wouldn't say 'no'. Would you?"

That got through my addled brain. He was right. I had been putting it on a little thick. Had I been testing him unconsciously? "No," I admitted. "But I trust you."

At that, he stopped and pulled me into an embrace. "God, I love you so much," he said. "A little more all the time. But I swear if you keep this up I'm going to crack." He grinned, adding, " And you're going to like it."

"Yeah, don't threaten me with a good time," I shot back with a giggle. God, what had gotten into me? "I guess you'd better get cracking on those wedding plans."

He laughed. "Yeah, step one, take you home. Step two, go jerk off in the shower."

That image sent a surprising pulse of warmth through me. "Think of me when you do it?"

"You're always on my mind, baby girl. You'll think of me tonight when you're all alone and naked under the covers?"

I should have seen the question coming. My cheeks flushed hot again and I stumbled over my words, my coquettishness suddenly forgotten. And how the hell had he guessed that I slept nude? "Well, I, uh..."

Nock laughed again. "Finally broke you, huh? Well, that image is what I'll be thinking about. And until you're my bride, that's about as close as we'll get to doing it."

He gave me a kiss goodnight that rivaled the one I'd gotten earlier from Nissi, probably on purpose, and I closed the door behind me with a sigh. The lights were all out in the house, and I saw by the green digits on the oven's clock that it was after midnight.

I made my way in the dark across the living room to the stairs. Unlike the big house, the west house was off the grid. We got all of our power from solar panels and a battery bank in the garage, and Stan was strict on not wasting power, which we needed to keep our MC running.

I made it to the top of the stairs and down the hallway, but then had to stifle a yelp when my stumbling feet managed to connect one set of toes with the edge of the doorframe. Hissing with the pain, I hobbled to the bed and kicked off my shoes and socks, then sat to rub my toes. Nothing seemed to be broken, and I would just have to wait until the pain faded.

I stripped for bed, wondering if Nock would be back home by now and getting in the shower. I hadn't seen him naked yet, but had caught him a few times with his shirt off, and picturing that added some fuel back to my smoldering desire. I turned on my side and closed my eyes, waiting for sleep, but my brain wouldn't stop running over the day's events, in particular, all of those lascivious things I had said and done.

Sighing, I flopped onto my back and pulled back the covers. My normally cozy bed felt too warm.You're still horny, I told myself and grimaced at the thought.Maybe this time? It had been a long time.

I closed my eyes and let myself feel. The smooth, silken surface of the sheet at my back and soft pillow beneath my head. The chill of the winter air on my overheated skin. My nipples felt tight, so I touched one with a fingertip. Sure enough, the nub stood up proudly from my chest, and the brief contact sent a quiver of pleasure down my body.

I imagined Nock's body over mine, the weight of him pressing down on me. I pictured him lowering his mouth to my breast as I gently pinched and rolled one nipple between my fingers. My heart beat faster in my chest as warmth suffused my sex. Making little circles over my sensitized skin, I slipped one hand beneath the covers and brushed it back and bent my legs. The cool air felt doubly so where moisture coated my flesh.

Still rubbing and pinching at my nipple with one hand, I ran the fingers of the other hand through the patch of hair over my mons and tentatively brushed firm lips that were wet with arousal. An intense spark of pleasure was my reward. I let out a moan, my mind supplying the image of my lover's face dipping between my thighs. "Yes, lick me," I whispered, and mimicked the action of a tongue flicking over my labia with a fingertip. I shuddered and whined, the imagined tongue dipping between my lips, sliding upward to circle my clit.

Pleasant waves rolled through me as I stimulated the nubs of my nipple and clit, but I groaned softly at the empty ache at my core. I removed the hand from my nipple to place it beneath the other, spreading my legs better for access. I pushed one finger carefully inside. I felt the thin ring of my hymen just inside, and eased my finger through the middle. It stung very slightly as it stretched, but I knew that it would not break. It did little to help the ache. My body wanted something more substantial, something to tear through that membrane and fill me. It had to suffice, though, as I imagined Nock now poised over me once more, stroking slowly in and out.

I felt that strange but familiar pressure building as my breath came in pants. My hands moved faster, one finger thrusting while the others rubbed frantically. I was rising, rising, and then....

Pain. The rubbing that had felt divine one second suddenly felt like sandpaper raking my flesh. "Shit," I swore quietly. Every single time. I knew I had been close. Even now, my body still tingled and pulsed with unsatiated need. But I knew that it was no use.

It had been a problem for me for a long time, since my first clumsy attempts at sexual discovery. I just couldn't reach orgasm, had never had an orgasm. Sighing, I wiped off my fingers and drew the sheet back over myself. I had long since stopped crying about it, but now I was engaged to be married and suddenly I was dreading my wedding night. It wasn't that I thought that Nock would reject me for my little problem, but more the prospect that I would disappoint him. It was easy to imagine if our places were reversed and I were unable to bring him that pleasure.