Double or Nothing Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kim drove me to the hospital, and we said little on the way; I looked out the window again, wondering what I had done to deserve this. Finally, we made it into the hospital, and we got into the waiting line. It was early evening, so the queue wasn't too bad. Having been through this play with clients before, Kim had asked for a specific doctor, and we were told we might have to wait a while. As we sat and waited, Kim went through the details in all the paperwork. I just sat there, spending a bit of time on my phone browsing Facebook. I noticed that both Carol and Makenzie had 'unfriended' and 'blocked' me. I was a little surprised, though I suppose I should not have been; they had just thrown me out of their lives without a single backwards glance. I spent some time in a few groups, chased down a couple of emails, all for lack of anything else to do. We had been sitting for around forty-five minutes, and I had just put my phone away when I saw an older lady walk in. She had flaming red hair and striking green eyes. She also had milky white skin and an excellent figure for someone I thought was in her mid-forties. She was on a pair of crutches due to her left leg being in a cast. As she came near us, one of her crutches caught on the side of one of the hospital chairs; pushing the crutch out and tripping her, she started to fall. Without thinking, I lept out of my chair and dove to catch her. I was partially successful and rolled as we both went down. I had grabbed her by the waist and made sure she landed on me in place of the hard tiled floor. We both grunted as we fell. After a moment of shock, I helped her back up. She was embarrassed, apologetic and very thankful.

I helped her sit in one of the seats beside Kim and me while one of the duty nurses who noticed the fall came over to check on us. The redheaded woman's voice was like one of those old actresses from Dorris Day movies. It was melodic and spoke of wisdom while sharing compassion with the focus of her attention. She addressed the nurse.

"I'm fine sweetie. This fine young man saved me!"

I blushed at thirty-two; it had been a few years since I had been called young. The nurse checked her details and came back a few minutes later, letting her know that she was checked in and her doctor would be out to collect her soon.

She turned back to me, and we spoke for a few minutes. I learnt her name was Martha, her husband William was parking the car after letting her out at the main doors, not wanting her to walk far. They were from out of town, down Bathurst way, and she had accidentally fallen and broken her ankle about a week ago. This was to be her final check-up before they had the ok to drive home. A few minutes later, her husband came in and joined us. We shook hands, and Martha introduced us. They were a great couple, and you could tell from the way they held hands they were truly in love.

As we spoke, it turned out that William owned one of the major plumbing suppliers around the county, and I knew his company well, having used his products quite often. So for the next little while, we got into some impromptu shop talk. I found talking to them relaxing, and for a few minutes, I forgot everything that was happening to me, enjoying meeting some genuinely lovely people. When the conversation as to what we were doing here, I shrugged, and Kim stepped in.

"It's a little sensitive, so I would need to rely on your discretion if that's ok?" William and Martha nodded their heads.

"Terry here is having a horrible day. This afternoon he returned home to find his house emptied. His wife and daughter had left him with no warning for another man. All he got was a 'dear john' letter. The divorce papers and two of the most disgusting documents I have ever come across in the forms of adoption papers and a restraining order. So, I brought him here for some assessment and treatment since it may not look like it, but he is in a state of shock, and I want medical entry showing to his state of mind."

William and Martha just looked at me. I had reverted to my numb state as Kim told these two people the summary of my story this afternoon. As Kim gave her point of view with my permission, Martha reached over and put a hand on my arm.

There was a single tear rolling down her cheek. "My goodness, Terry, I don't understand how they could do this. You are obviously a kind and gentle soul. Not just anyone would reach out and put themselves on the line to help someone as you did me just a few minutes ago. I know we don't know you, but you don't appear to be the type of person who deserves this type of treatment from two people that you love."

I wasn't sure what to say, but being a big sister, Kim jumped in again, "He's done nothing but love and dote both of those girls for years. His wife states in her letter that being a plumber is just not good enough for both of them and that the doctor they are leaving him for can provide so much better."

William snorted shook his head. Kim continued.

"I don't know what kind of man this Stephen Morrison is, but to do this shows the man has suspect morals."

I heard both William and Martha take a sharp intake of breath.

"Did you say, Stephen Morrison?" William asked.

"Yes, Dr Stephen Morrison," Kim replied. She cocked her head to the side and raised an eyebrow, "Why?"

William looked at Martha briefly, and she nodded her head slightly.

"Excuse me." William stood and walked over to the reception.

Kim and I looked over at Martha; something was going on here.

"William has just gone to change my doctor. You see, I was supposed to be seeing Dr Morrison for my checkup."

It was now mine and Kim's turn to breathe in sharply.

"William and I hold certain, shall we say, standards. And Terry, hearing your sister here tell us your story, I won't be treated by someone who could be so cold and blatant as to steal someone's wife and daughter doing what they have done to you. So we will change our doctor".

A few minutes later, William came back and sat down beside Martha. Not a moment later, the man himself, Dr Stephen Morrison, came waltzing out to find out what was going on. He noticed William and Martha "I'm sorry, Mr and Mrs Delotiz, I'm told you have..." and then he saw me sitting there.

Stephen Morrison was a slightly older man, was heavy set with short sandy blading blond hair and somewhat pudgy fingers. He was a head shorter than me and was carrying quite the round belly to suit his fingers. But Dr Stephen Morrison walked like a man who had a silver spoon stuck firmly up his ass, most likely having been given everything in life and never had to fight for anything.

Looking at me, he suddenly ignored William and Martha. Now I was in his sights, and he looked me over like I was the three-day-old pizza that had been left out on the kitchen bench.

"You, Terry Other, are not allowed to be here!" there was a sneer that had developed in his voice, his bedside manner having been lost in the space of a heartbeat.

Kim stood and interposed herself between Stephen and me. "Dr Morrison, I am Kim Other, Terrys older sister and his lawyer. I will state here for the record that we had no idea who you were, what you looked like or even that you worked here until a few moments ago. "

If Kim's words gave him pause, he didn't show it; indeed, the sneer in on his face sharpened. "That does not matter; he is in violation of a restraining order and needs to leave NOW!"

"As you wish, Dr Morrison, please note that I will be minuting this interaction and your demands. We are leaving now and will seek treatment for Terry at another location."

Stephen laughed; it wasn't a nice laugh either. He couldn't help but try to kick a man when he was down. It must have been the type of asshole he was. "Treatment," he snorted. "For what for being a pathetic loser," He puffed up his flabby chest, "His wife and daughter left him for a better man. Stupid fucking plumber." I noticed that everyone in the waiting room, including William and Martha, looked at him sharply. But stupid is as stupid does, and he continued. "as such a pathetic fucking cuckold, no wonder he needs treatment. But it will be somewhere else as he is not welcome in this hospital and is in violation of the restraining order; now leave before I have security escort you off the property."

Kim nodded. "I will minute your words and your derogatory comments towards Mr Other. And please note that in compliance with the aforementioned restraining order, now that we know you are here, we're leaving." Kim stated. I was beginning to seethe. Standing before me was the pompous ass that had destroyed my family, stolen my wife and decided to make his daughter his. I stood and balled my fists. I could knock this fat fuck out with one punch. Who gives a shit about the jail time. It would be worth it. But, even as I moved toward the asswipe, it was William that stayed me. He put a hand on my shoulder before my anger boiled out, looked at me and shook his head before I did something stupid.

Stephen turned to William and Mathra, now ignoring me, his bedside manner returned suddenly. "Now, Mr and Mrs Delotiz, if you will please follow me, I will do your checkup now. Please understand that what this man has told you is likely wrong and should not influence your treatment decision".

William again shook his head; his hand was still on my shoulder as Kim was packing up her stuff so we could leave. "I'm sorry, Dr Morrision. However, having witnessed your comments just now. A restraining order or not, you disrespected someone in pain while in a place of healing. I cannot in good conscience allow my wife to be treated by yourself, in a hospital like this where people with your standing can casually treat people like the way you have just treated Mr Other here. So we will also be seeking treatment in another location."

He turned and helped Martha to her feet. She got her crutches under her, then the four of us made our way to the front entrance. William stopped and turned as the sliding doors opened, then addressed Stephen one more time. "Dr Morrision, please inform the hospital director and your regional director that as of this moment, my financial support will now be removed from this hospital and its regional health centres. Instead, I will redirect it to other medical areas where its staff are professional. When they ask why I except you will know what to tell them." With that, he turned back to us and left Stephen standing there like a fish out of water, his mouth gaping open.

The four of us ended up going to a private hospital a few minutes down the road. Unfortunately, they didn't have an emergency department. However, they were open, and it appears that William's name opened a few doors. We were assigned a doctor, Dr Marge Hill. I insisted that Martha be seen first, and she came out a few minutes later with the all-clear to travel home. When I was taken in for my consultation, Kim came along with me, giving Dr Hill a high-level summary of what had happened. Dr Hill did several tests on me and took some blood samples.

"Mr Other, it's obvious from the tests so far that you're suffering a mild form of shock following the events of today. What your sister is after are a medical check on your physical state and mental capacity. Most people don't understand that these events can change body chemistry, and most don't think getting checked straight away." Marge smiled at me, "She's looking out for you."

After the tests were completed, including some bloodwork, we went back out to the waiting room, and I was surprised to find William and Martha still waiting for us. We talked for a few minutes, and I found that they wanted to make sure I was ok. Kim let them know I was going to be ok thanking them for their concern. We exchanged details, Martha making me promise that I would call them once a week to let them know I was ok. I promised, and I am happy to say that I more or less kept that promise over the next six months, keeping them up to date on what was happening.

When Kim got me home, she got me into bed and made sure I took the first medication I was prescribed, something to help me sleep and some mild anti-depressants. She tucked me in, kissed me on the head and told me she would check on me in the morning. I slept heavily, not waking until late the following day.

To me, the following months were a bit like a walking dream that I couldn't quite wake from. All I did was go to work and come home to the empty house. After going through the documents, Kim spoke with Carol and Mackenzie's lawyer; grudgingly, she had me sign the divorce papers and the adoption papers with only a couple of minor changes. The advice was that Makenzie was delighted with Stephen, and I didn't need to be her father anymore.

Two things happened about a month before our final court date, where the divorce would be final. First, it was my thirty-third birthday. I got messages from friends, and I even got a call from Martha wishing me a happy birthday on behalf of William and her. Kim and her husband Paul, along with my parents, took me out for dinner. I was very appreciative but very muted. I had hoped beyond all hope that I might get something from my daughter. However, nothing arrived, no messages, nothing. I thought I would try to call, but I suppose that could be harassment under the restraining order and could get in trouble, so I didn't.

The second thing was that a week later, it was Mackenize's fifteenth birthday. So again, knowing I could get in trouble, I did nothing. That evening, about nine, though, I got a text message from an unknown number.

"You should call me to wish me a happy birthday and tell me what you got me for my birthday."

I just about lost it. It was evident that this was Mackenize. For almost fifteen years, Mackenzie was always so excited about my birthday, always giving me huge hugs and trying to spoil me in that adorable way that only kids could. With our birthdays close together, it was always our thing to make each other feel special. I didn't even rate a message on my birthday this year, even with her knowing I was likely lonely and hurt. But come her birthday, she wanted me to call her and tell her what I got her. For the umpteenth time since this all started, I wondered where the caring little girl I used to love and would love to come to the job site with me went. Of course, I didn't call or message her back, but I did punch a wall. I put my hand through it. I was so upset and spent most of the evening with my knuckles on a bag of ice fuming.

The next day, Kim came to check on me and noticed my hand, the hole in the wall and my generally depressed disposition. When she asked what happened, I showed her the text, and she came and hugged me, telling me that she understood.

"Don't worry, Terry, I didn't get the little bitch anything either."

I looked down and at my red and swollen hand. "I did."

"Oh Terry," Her tone softened, "I'm sorry little brother. I know this is hurting you badly." Then, for the next half hour, she just hugged me.

Our day in court came not long after, and I was there with Kim on one side, while Carol was there with her lawyers, curtsy of Stephen, I'm sure. The evil fucktard sat behind them on the other side of the courtroom from us. He kept glaring at me while Carol wouldn't even meet my eyes. Makenzie was at school and wouldn't be in the room for this anyway.

When the judge walked in, both sides presented their final positioning statements. Then both lawyers submitted our agreed financials as of the date of separation when Carol and Mackenize left. Next, the judge reviewed the updated documents. He had seen most of the content before, so he looked at the additional material. He spoke up.

"In regards to the case of divorce between Mr Terry Other and Mrs Carol Other, It is noted that Mrs Carol Others petition to divorce is granted. " Carol, Stephen and her team looked relieved. The judge held up his hand. "However, in the divorce petition, there are a few things of note that I would like to address.

"First off, this court sees more than its fair share of divorce hearings, and it is not often that I get a case of a spouse leaving their partner who, for all intents and purposes, is a loving and caring husband and father. Neither do I often see the case of adoption come up concerning divorce. So when it does come up that something doesn't feel right, I tend to take more of an interest in the why and what is being asked." Carol's legal team lost their smiles and looked at the judge. Kim and I said nothing.

"While there is no legal reason that this divorce cannot be granted, I have to say that I am appaled by the behaviour of Mrs Carol Other and her daughter. To purposely mislead a loving man for many months, conducting a sexual affair while systematically working to leave him and restrict his access to see his daughter is the height of moral depravity. I also have character statements from a Mr and Mrs Delotiz around an incident that occurred the night of separation." The judge looked at me. "Mr Other showed true character, and when presented with one of the parties named in the restraining order Dr Stephen Morrision, in place of conflict, he withdrew.

"As mentioned above, there is no legal reason to stop this divorce. However, based on the individual petitions by both parties. The following will be noted in terms of the division of assets." I could see Carol and her legal team stiffen. Kim was staring at the judge; this was not supposed to happen.

The judge continued. "Mrs Carol Other is granted half of the savings within the joint accounts Mr and Mrs Other held. It is noted that this has already been processed, and the joint accounts have been closed.

"Next, the motion that the full and complete university funds held for Ms Makenzie Other to the amount of," the judge checked his notes, "One hundred and forty-two thousand dollars, be transferred to Mrs Carol Other for her daughter's maintenance is denied." Everyone gasped.

"Your Honor, I object", Carol's lawyer demanded.

"Objection overruled counsellor. As shown by the financial records, Mr John Other has supplied 100% of the funds to this account while Mrs Carol Other has supplied nothing other the years despite having a part-time job. It is noted that one of the documents processed was a demand for Mr Other to abandon the claim to his daughter as Mr Stephen Morrison wishes to adopt Ms Other with both the approval of Ms Carol Other and Mrs Mackenzie Other. As Ms Mackenzie Other is not yet of university age and does not wish to retain the title and name of Mr Other. This court sees no reason that Mr Other should be forced to pay funds towards someone that does not want him." "Those funds will remain in possession of Mr Other in their entirety. Should he choose to provide funds towards Ms Others continuing education following today's ruling, that will be entirely at his discretion."

I was flawed. I had been making deposits into that account for Mackenize since she was born, to find out that I would not have to provide anything to Carol or Mackenize was unexpected. The judge continued.

"The motion that Mr John Other pay spousal maintenance and child support from the date of separation until the date that Mrs Carol Other marries the aforementioned Dr Stepehn Morrison is denied. From the petition and the way, Mr Other was railroaded by Mrs Other and Ms Other. This court finds that at no point was he provided reasonable avenues to respond. It is further understood that Mrs Other and Ms Other have resided with Dr Morision since the day of separation. As per the letter that Mrs Other left for Mr Other on the day of separation. Along with the petitions to this court that Mrs Other and Mr Morrision will marry immediately following my ruling. And lastly, the adoption of Ms Other will occur directly following the wedding. Therefore, this court sees no reason to grant the support request.