Dragonborn Rising Ch. 45

Story Info
The adventures of Ragnar the Dragonborn continue.
7.9k words
4.75
3.6k
5

Part 45 of the 64 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 12/13/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 45 -- Showdown in Sovngarde

*****

We must have flown for quite a while before landing in Skuldafn. Odahviing wasn't going to take us any further, and after thanking him, he took off, leaving Lydia and I on our own. The first thing that greeted our eyes, apart from the enormous ancient temple, though now an enormous ancient ruin, were two dragons that looked at us but did... nothing.

Though we unsheathed our swords and moved forward, the two simply watched our progress. I wasn't going to do anything to rile them as, quite bizarrely, they seemed watchful but intent on letting us progress. Perhaps they were aware of my mission to end Alduin and... actually agreed with it?

The dragons may have let us past but Skuldafn was infested with draugr. And these were not your usual run of the mill draugr that I could take out on my own. Nearly all of them were the Deathlord variant, if not even stronger, or so it seemed. I must have used my Thu'um constantly simply to give Lydia and I a chance, as more than once, we found ourselves backed into a corner as the bastards swarmed us. We both took wounds, thankful she knew a little magic to first heal herself, then heal me. It was at moments like that I definitely wished we had Aela and Mirabelle with us.

In addition to the endless draugr, we must have had to solve more than three or four puzzles, and these were not your ordinary, simple puzzles either. No, Skuldafn was a maze, a death trap, and a head scratcher. I think it was blind luck that allowed us to progress half the time. At least I found a word wall, though, so it wasn't all bad.

Getting through took hours so that, by the time we seemed to reach the end, it was dark outside. We agreed to head back into the temple and find somewhere to sleep. We hadn't brought any camping supplies but managed to find some old blankets as I figured, as high and as isolated as we were, it was bound to be freezing. We managed to get a fire going to provide some warmth.

"Thanks for bringing me along, Ragnar."

"I needed your help, Lydia. Plus, I guess you've missed out on some of my adventures."

"And I'm guessing there'll be many more once this is done."

"Definitely. I think we both know that my life isn't particularly boring."

Though she cuddled into me later that night, there were no other shenanigans as we wanted to rise as early as possible. The sun had risen though the temperature hadn't when we walked outside the next morning, both of us well rested despite lying on a still rather cold stone floor. In the distance we could see a shaft of light ascending into the heavens, realising that was the way to Sovngarde. Any thoughts of it being an easy walk from there ended when we met the Dragon Priest guarding it.

The good news for us is that we caught him unawares, and as I managed to Shout him out of the way, Lydia made a desperate dive for the staff, knowing that was where he drew most of his power. Without his staff, he was rather pathetic, and Lydia took delight in using the staff on him in return. She gave me space and time to end the Dragon Priest, taking his mask as reward, before we approached the portal. Taking her hand in mine, we stepped forward and immediately ascended to Sovngarde.

I knew within five seconds of arriving that I would want to return when I died. Whether I did would depend on the gods, and perhaps my actions going forward, but I was a Nord, and this was definitely the heaven I wanted. As for Lydia, I think she may have needed a moment to compose herself, noticing that she needed to wipe her cheeks. I didn't say anything as I completely understood the reaction.

We immediately started to wander through the dense fog, and I'll admit to some surprise that we found people within it. Running into a couple of soldiers first, we offered to escort them and we soon had three or four with us before we ran into Kodlak.

I shook his hand before we embraced, and that was my turn to perhaps wipe my cheeks once we'd released each other. As lost as everyone else, I offered to help escort him too. Through the mist we also found High King Torygg, who explained in great detail what happened the day he died before he asked after his wife. I let him know she was well, and that seemed to please him, eventually joining out merry band. By the time we made to the bridge leading over towards the Hall of Valour, we must have numbered at least a dozen.

It was there that we were greeted by Tsun, all of us taking a knee before the God of Trials. And I knew that, since he was guarding the bridge, one of us would need to fight him to cross.

"What brings you here, wayfarer grim, to wonder here, in Sovngarde, souls-end, Shor's gift to the honoured dead?"

"I am here to end Alduin's threat to our world."

"A fateful errand. No few have chafed to face the Worm since first he set his soul-snare here at Sovngarde's threshold. But Shor's restrained our wrathful onslaught -- perhaps, deep-counselled, your doom he foresaw."

"I seek entrance to the Hall of Valour."

"No shade are you, as usually here passes, but living, you dare the land of the dead. By what right do you request entry?"

"I am the Dragonborn."

He smiled at that reply. "Ah! It's been too long since last I faced a doom-driven hero of the dragon blood."

"May I enter?"

"Living or dead, by decree of Shor, none may pass this perilous bridge 'til I judge them worthy by the warrior's test."

It was not a fight to the death, though I'm not sure I could have killed him anyway. It was merely a test of strength, skill, but I think most importantly, heart. I could feel every strike of his sword on my shield through every fibre of my being. I did not use my Thu'um against a god, trusting in my sword arm to prevail. And, somehow, after a long battle that left me dripping with sweat, he took a knee of his own, stating I had proven my worth as a warrior.

Grasping my forearm as I did the same, he smiled at me again. "You fought well. I find you worthy. It is long since one of the living has entered here. May Shor's favour follow you and your errand."

"Thank you, Tsun, God of Trials."

"Perhaps when you return in many years' time, we can battle again."

"Something to look forward to upon my death."

Our group crossed the bridge, entering the Hall of Valour as a group. We stopped as nearly the entire hall seemed to fall silent upon our entrance, a lone man, broad, strong and wise, stood up and approached our group. Hand outstretched, he immediately came towards me. There was no need to introduce himself as I grasped his forearm in return.

"Welcome, Dragonborn!"

"You honour me, Ysgramor."

"Nonsense. It is you who honour us with your presence." He fell silent and looked over our group. "Kodlak Whiteman, Harbinger of the Companions. It is good to see you here after your trials and tribulations?"

"Thank you, sir. It is thanks to Ragnar that I am here today. My only regret is that many of my kind remain trapped."

"They will not remain trapped for eternity. Once the Worm is defeated, a Harrowing is required, don't you think?"

"I long to see that day, sir."

"Lydia of Whiterun, it pleases me to see you by the Dragonborns' side."

She fell to a knee immediately. He chuckled as he stepped forward, gently grabbing her forearm. "Come now. It is we who should take a knee before you. You who has stood by the Dragonborn as he takes on his greatest foe."

"You honour me, sir."

"And we are honoured to have such esteemed company, despite the fact they are many years early in their arrival." He paused and the sigh probably wasn't a surprise to any of us. "Our door has stood empty since Alduin first set his soul-snare here. By Shor's command we sheathed our blades and ventured not the vale's dark mist. But three await your word to loose their fury upon the perilous foe. Gormlaith the fearless, glad-hearted in battle; Hakon the valiant, heavy-handed warrior; Felldir the Old, far-seeing and grim. I believe you know them already."

"Aye. I wish to meet then as soon as possible."

Ysgramor grabbed me by the shoulder, told the rest they should join in the revelry, as I was escorted towards the three warriors I had seen through the Time-Wound.

I was introduced to Gormlait first. "At long last! Alduin's doom is now ours to seal. Just speak the word and with high hearts we'll hasten forth to smite the worm wherever he lurks."

Then Felldir. "Hold, comrades. Let us counsel take before battle is blindly joined. Alduin's mist is more than a snare; its shadowy gloom is his shield and cloak. But with four Voices joined, our valour combined, we can blast the mist and bring him to battle."

That sounded like a good idea, nodding as I was introduced to Hakon. "Felldir speaks wisdom. The World-Eater, coward, fears you, Dragonborn. We must drive away his mist, Shouting together, and then unsheathe our blades in desperate battle with our black-winged foe."

Now that sounded like a mighty fine idea.

Before departing, I shared a tankard with Ysgramor, Kodlak, Torygg and all the others we had gathered, and all the men and women within the hall. Some names I recognised but most were strangers. I knew that when I next completed this journey, I would know them all, and we would be kin for eternity. Ysgramor raised his tankard and wished the five of us good luck, and spoke confidently about our pending battle with Alduin. The five of us downed our tankards and, with roars in our ears, walked out of the hall and back across the bridge.

"The eyes of Shor are upon you this day. Defeat Alduin, and destroy his soul-snare."

I would have invited Tsun to join us, but he was still under orders from Shor. Therefore, it was up to us five to seize the initiative and win the day. We walked to a nearby clearing, such a reminder of Skyrim somewhere below us, and it was there that I Shouted to clear the sky and hopefully draw Alduin towards us.

With the mist clearing, mountains rose in the distance, the water as blue as any ocean and sky, the fields around us a mixture of colours as grass and flowers bloomed. Yet in the distance, we heard a roar, weapons unsheathed as we knew Alduin approached. The black beast appeared in the distance but dared not come closer, instead using his Thu'um to cause the mist to descend upon us again.

Now the four of us Shouted, the mist clearing quickly. Lydia urged Alduin to fight us and I could not fault her bravery. Alduin still dated not show his face, replying with his Thu'um, the mist once again forming, but the five of us could see it was not as thick.

"One more time, and the World-Eater must face us!" Felldir cried.

The four of us Shouted again, the mist appearing to clear completely. Alduin responded but the mist would not reform. "Come and face us, coward!" I called. It was not my Thu'um, but I knew he would respond.

The black beast appeared over the nearby mountain, descending at speed towards us. He was immediately over-confident, and did not reckon on Dragonrend. I Shouted and caused him to crash to the ground, the five of us on him in an instant. He gave as good as he got, claws looking for skin, teeth waiting to tear us to shreds. The three warriors of old knew all his tricks, and Alduin could not gain an advantage. Lydia was by my side, and we did not need to share a word, attacking and defending as one.

Alduin Shouted, the sky turning red as rocks fired towards our positions. Once again, it was a matter of using my Thu'um, and I'm sure Alduin roared in frustration as the skies clear, and he attempted to take off. He couldn't do that either, as I simply used Dragonrend to drag him back to the ground.

Alduin thought he could taunt us, but the three warriors of old barely said a word. Lydia was concentration personified. As for myself, I was simply looking for the killing blow. We slowly gained the upper hand as Alduin never managed to get off the ground, and with each passing minute, he received further wounds, red blood dripping down his black skin as he slowly but surely started to weaken.

I believe he underestimated us. Perhaps even underestimated me. I couldn't really blame him. I was only a man, after all. But as he weakened, he turned desperate, and that left him exposed. Dropping my shield, I unsheathed my dagger and used that to clamber onto him, finding purchase within his scales. The other four kept him distracted as I moved my way up onto his neck, ensuring I stabbed him each time, drawing ever more blood. He tried to shake me off, but I made sure my blade was dug in deep, the other four gaining his attention long enough for me to move. Once I was position, I'm sure his eyes looked up into mine. At that moment, I looked into evil personified.

"Your soul is mine, Alduin!" I roared as I drove my sword down into his skull.

"Zu'u unslaad! zu'u nis oblaan!" he cried as I quickly dove off and rolled away, just in time to see him slowly disintegrate, first his scales falling off, then his skin tearing apart, before his very bones appeared to evaporate into thin air. There was a loud crack of thunder and then... nothing. He was gone. I did not absorb his soul, but I didn't really care. Far as I was concerned, he was now dead.

Lydia got down onto her knees and embraced me first, kissing my cheek before we rose to our feet, where I was greeted by the three warriors of old, grasping the forearm of each as they congratulated me on my success. I walked to a nearby stream and cleaned off the blood, simply taking a few moments to contemplate what we'd just done. No-one would probably ever believe it, but I didn't mind. Skyrim and the world was safe. That was all that mattered in the end.

Walking back towards the bridge, Tsun was waiting for us and it was obvious how the battle had ended, offering his hand as I grasped it immediately. "This was a mighty deed! The doom of Alduin encompassed at last, and cleansed is Sovngarde of his evil snare. They will sing of this battle in Shor's hall forever."

I simply smiled as I glanced across the bridge to see the hall had emptied, raising my hand in their direction, greeted by an almost deafening roar. The warriors of old shook my hand one last time before they returned across the bridge, leading the cheers as my name was shouted over and again. Not the name given to me long ago, the name I had earned at Helgen and what I would probably be known as for the rest of my life.

And then Tsun told us that we had to leave. I'll be honest, part of me wanted to stay, but he assured me that my soul would return one day, and that Lydia would return by my side. That seemed to please her, being a Nord warrior at heart. He thanked me one last time before he Shouted in my direction, and I was once again engulfed by a bright light...

*****

We were surrounded by dragons but none attacked us. Instead, they seemed to be chanting, perhaps they were singing. The strange thing is, I could understand them. I knew they were using the dragon tongue, yet while I could comprehend what they were saying, Lydia just had a blank look on her face. In fact, she looked a little frightened. I didn't blame her though, once the dragons were finished, I assured her that they were now friends. Sort of...

Paarthurnax landed nearby. "So, it is done. Alduin dilon. The Eldest is no more, he who came before all others, and has always been."

Part of me thought he sounded rather said. Part of me understood, to a degree. "He had to be destroyed, Paarthurnax. I was not going to let him end the world as we know it."

"Of course. Alduin wahlaan daanii. I would not have helped you if I thought otherwise. You did what was necessary. Alduin had flown far from the path of right action in his pahlok -- the arrogance of his power. But I cannot celebrate his fall. Zu'u tiiraaz ahst ok mah. He was my brother once. This world will never be the same."

"Perhaps, but I believe the world is now better, and safer without his presence."

"I am glad you believe that. At least it will continue to exist. Grik los lein. Even I cannot see past Time's ending to what comes next. Niid koraav zeim dinoksetiid. We must do the best we can with this world.

What are your plans regarding the dovah now?"

"I will abide by the Greybeards and the Way of the Voice. There will be peace between us if your kind desires it. But I cannot convince your kind alone."

"Many of the dovahhe are now scattered across Keizaal. Without Alduin's lordship, they may yet bow to the vahzen... rightness of my Thu'um. But willing or no, they will hear it!"

"Those that wish to fight will know where to find me. Those who want peace will have no issue with me."

"I will pass on your message, and your warning, Dovahkiin. Until next we meet."

And with that, he ascended into the air and slowly disappeared his view. I guess his role assisting the Greybeards was over. With Alduin now dead, Paarthurnax was now free to do as he wished. And I believed him. He didn't fear me, but having killed Alduin, he knew what I was capable of. I liked to think he didn't want to fight me himself.

As he disappeared, Odahviing appeared, landing next to me. Lydia nearly cried out in fright before realising who it was. He didn't have much to say but he acknowledged the power of my Thu'um in addition to the fact I'd managed to kill Alduin. While he didn't exactly say he was an ally, he did suggest he held some sort of hope that peace could be maintained. He did mention the Blades, and I replied that I'd do my best to control them. He wasn't particularly convinced, knowing more than I thought he would, but if others were stupid enough to attack a dragon, then more fool them. I simply thanked him for his help before he too ascended into the clouds and disappeared from view.

Now alone, Lydia gave me another tight hug before suggesting we should head home. The first stop would be High Hrothgar, where we stopped for the night, letting Arngeir know what had happened. Despite everything, he was pleased to hear of my success and happy that the world was not ending. Asking if I would continue to follow their teachings, I assured him that I would, only using my gift when I thought necessary. Telling him that I hoped for peace between man and dragon, I think the respect of the old man increased ten-fold. Leaving the next morning, I simply promised I would return as often as I could.

Without horses, it was a long walk back to Whiterun, stopping at Ivarstead after descending the mountain, only walking through the gates of Whiterun the next evening having basically marched since dawn. It was surprisingly quiet, barely a soul around, as we walked first past Breezehome, the Bannered Mare and then Jorrvaskr. I don't think we even saw a guard pass by us.

It was only when approaching Dragonsreach that we figured something was up, the guard to either side surprised by my appearance. "Dragonborn?" one of them whispered. To my surprise, the pair crossed an arm over their chest, bowed their heads then took a knee. "You return?" the other asked.

"What? I've only been gone a couple of days?"

"No. No, you haven't. You should head inside."

Doing as he suggested as they stood and opened one of the doors, Lydia and I walked in to see nearly all of Whiterun inside. Jarl Balgruuf was in front of his throne, saying something, though when he saw me, his voice trailed off and nearly the entire hall turned to look at me.

"Ragnar!" I heard a voice cry, Mirabelle appearing and sprinting towards me, Aela following immediately. Both of them crashed into me almost at once. The fact both of them were already crying surprised me.

"Well, hello to you too!"

"We thought you were dead!" Mirabelle sobbed.

"You disappeared after you left on the dragon," Aela added.

"But it's only been..."

"You've been gone a fortnight, Dragonborn," Ysolda added as people started to crowd around me.