Dragonborn Rising Ch. 57

Story Info
The adventures of Ragnar the Dragonborn continue.
6.2k words
4.76
2.9k
7

Part 57 of the 64 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 12/13/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 57 -- The Message

*****

The problem with borders in Skyrim is that, on a map, they were defined areas that the powers that be must have agreed to a long time ago. In reality, borders seemed to be different. If you were riding or walking along a road, you would pass banners that would indicate when you were passing from one Hold into another. Well defined. However, if you were crossing overland, well away from roads, you would have no real idea which Hold you were in. Most of the time, roads and mountains were generally considered a perimeter of one Hold to another. Even holding a map, you would need to consult the position of the sun during the day, or the stars at night, to know you were where you thought. And that wasn't an exact science.

Approaching Whiterun from the west, we followed the roads, passing the banner of Whiterun, only passing Whiterun guards once we passed by it. Plenty of Imperial soldiers had been positioned near enough to the border to suggest they were preparing for something. It was growing dark by the time we reached the outskirts of the city itself, so we decided to just stable our horses and head in.

Aela and Lydia headed straight for Breezehome. I continued up the hill towards Dragonsreach. Even though I hadn't been around all that much lately, the two guards by the main doors recognised me immediately, opening the door, gesturing for me to just keep walking. Balgruuf had vacated his throne for one of the dining tables. As soon as he saw me, he exclaimed my name, rising and striding towards me with hand outstretched. "Well, I will admit this is a bloody good surprise!"

I took his hand with both of mine. "Good to see you again, my lord."

"What brings you here?" He paused before adding, "To be honest, I have no idea where you actually call home now."

"Solitude. It's a long and complicated story."

That made him laugh, taking my arm and leading me to the table, making sure I sat down, had a plate of food and a tankard of ale before he asked, "Give me the short version."

I filled him in on everything I'd been up to since the last time we'd spoken. He was pleased to know that the vampire problem had ended. When I told him about the idea Tullius and the Emperor had, he thought it was actually a good one. "To be honest, Ragnar, if a moot was called, I would recommend you as High King because of who you are. If anyone could bring Skyrim together, it's you. Simply due to your name."

"I'm not sure I want it, to be honest."

"That's exactly why you'd be perfect. I don't trust any man who craves power for himself. Someone who is given power but doesn't want it is bound to be more responsible when wielding it, or so I like to believe. It also depends on the man himself, and I like to think you're a good man now, Ragnar. Is that what brings you to Whiterun now?"

"General Tullius is of the belief the Stormcloaks are preparing something. Worst case scenario, they attack Whiterun to gain the advantage. I don't think there is a best case. The war has been in a stalemate for a long time now. It can't keep going. One side has to break."

"And I guess that means my neutrality will be at an end soon?"

"The General was wondering which way you were leaning. I gave my opinion when asked."

"What did you say?"

"I suggested that while you may empathise with some of the arguments made by Jarl Ulfric, Skyrim leaving the Empire weakens us, and that, at heart, you still owed allegiance to the Empire."

He smiled. "You know me well, Ragnar. So what will you do while you're here?"

"Assess Stormcloak positions. I'm still considered a neutral party, so as long as I don't look too obvious, I'll be able to move around the Stormcloak areas. I won't go entering their camps or anything. Just make it look like I'm on a hunt or something."

"Will you approach Jarl Ulfric himself?"

"I haven't been asked to by the General."

"What about you becoming High King, if you accept?"

"I think he and the Emperor want the civil war won before that step is made. And I have a feeling the Empire don't want to involve themselves in that process. Of course, they'll whisper into the ears of people like yourself, suggesting you vote that way."

"So does that mean you'll become Jarl of Solitude?"

"I guess. Unfair on Eli... but..."

I realised the slip as soon as I said it, and I noticed his smirk. "Eli?" He leaned forward. "Ragnar, I'm aware of that reputation of yours. Everyone is. But are you suggesting you are currently... bedding the Jarl of Solitude?"

"I think that's part of the reason why the Emperor and the General have suggested it. Eli has been... infatuated with me for quite a while now. And, I'll admit, Eli is something else entirely. She's beautiful and intelligent. Good heart. Cares for her people, her city but also Skyrim entirely."

"But they obviously want you as High King as a uniting figure, Elisif being too divisive?"

Shrugging, I replied, "I guess that might be one reason why. She doesn't exactly have a whole host of supporters, even within her own court. A few wouldn't be sad to see her replaced." I paused. "I support her but I think there are personal feelings involved with that. I have a feeling they'd like me to marry her, at least. Despite her inexperience, she's an effective administrator."

"You will be staying at Breezehome during your stay here?"

"Aye. I'll head out early tomorrow to get a lay of the land. I don't want to spend too long here. Tullius wasn't expecting me to either."

I finished my meal, enjoyed a couple of tankards, before walking back to the lower part of town. I checked in at Breezehome, finding the place empty, so I headed back up to the Bannered Mare, Aela and Lydia sat at a table, immediately motioning for me to join them. The music was loud, everyone enjoying themselves. Saadia was rather busy as always, though everyone was respectful of her.

Despite the fact I was with Aela and Lydia, Ysolda made her presence known, taking the empty chair. Aela gave me a look and I almost laughed, though I was used to Ysolda flirting with me, as I did it just as much in return. By now, I think we knew nothing was ever going to happen. She certainly knew I was with Aela, though I think she only knew of Lydia as being my housecarl.

Lydia did eventually lean over and whispered into my ear, "You should just fuck the poor woman, Ragnar. She's clearly gagging for it."

I met her eyes and smiled. "Six, Lydia."

"You've had sex with plenty of other women. What's one more?"

"If I want sex, I've got you and Aela," I retorted with a grin.

I think that answer pleased her, as she moved her chair closer and leaned into me, wrapping an arm around her in return. Aela noticed and whispered into my ear that perhaps it was best we leave. Ysolda bid us goodnight, hearing a slight note of jealousy in her tone as she did so, an arm wrapped around Aela and Lydia each as we walked back to Breezehome.

Inside, we headed straight upstairs where the three of us started to make out and strip at the same time. And, from there, things were a lot of fun. It was always fantastic being blown by two women at once, even better when they were eager to take it on their faces. Aela and I then focused on eating out Lydia, before Lydia and I returned the favour to Aela. After that, I was basically told to lie down, Aela riding me first as Lydia sat on my face. Once I left a load in Aela, we switched, Lydia on her hands and knees, Aela in front of her. I was given a bottle of oil and told by Lydia to fuck in the arse. We hadn't done that in quite a while, due to trying for a child. As this was clearly just a night of fun, Lydia got what she wanted.

The three of us went to sleep with grins on our faces, satisfied with how the night ended.

Breakfast was amusing the next morning. Aela and I were up first, downstairs at the table, breaking bread, enjoying that with some cheese, Lydia the last to rise. She sat down next to Aela and noticeably winced. "Okay, I haven't done that in quite a while," she muttered.

"It didn't hurt last night, did it?"

"Not at all, Ragnar. We've done it enough times that it's only pleasurable. But I guess you did fuck me rather hard and for a long time. Always helps when you cum in Aela first."

"I'm not complaining. I got to ride that cock through a few orgasms," Aela added, giving me a look and a smile, "And watching him fuck you in the arse is rather fun to watch. Some of the faces you pull..."

"You've done it before, Aela. You know how good it feels."

"Rarely, Lydia, and nothing like you do with him."

Lydia glanced my way and smirked. "And I'm nothing compared to Haelga. I still haven't had the chance to watch you two together, Ragnar."

"But you've had fun with her?"

"Oh, we had a lot of fun together the other night. Her sexual appetite, once she's well and truly in the mood, is something else entirely. Few of those toys she has... We're having a threesome soon?"

"Aye, just give me a time and a place."

"I don't know who'll be worn out first."

"Trust me, I've made Haelga pass out before." That made her laugh, Aela giving me a look before she chuckled as well. I shrugged. "We've connected since the very first time we were together."

Aela reached across to grab my hand. "I'm glad she's with us, Ragnar. It's obvious to us five how much she loves you. And when we speak to her, the regret she speaks of..."

"I know. So I'm trying to focus on her a bit as well as..." I sighed. "Honestly, I don't know how the six of you tolerate me sometimes."

"Because we all love you, and we've agreed to a polyamorous relationship. You have sex with us, and we have sex with each other." Clearing her throat, she added, "What's your plan?"

"I'm going to head east and ascertain the situation. You two will do the same, but we won't work together. We'll cover much more land if we split up. Try not to look too obvious."

"So this isn't a multi-day operation?" Lydia asked.

"No. One or two days at most. Balgruuf won't make a decision just yet. I think his hand will need to be forced. I don't blame him, because one he does decide, and it'll be with the Empire, the Stormcloaks won't waste any time launching an attack."

"Any chance someone like yourself could speak to Jarl Ulfric?" Aela wondered.

"I've thought about that. I'm not sure why he'd listen to me over anyone else. He's in too deep now."

Finishing breakfast, we changed into armour, grabbed our weapons, and headed down to the stables. We agreed the areas we'd cover and split up. It was a rather dull day as I headed north-east, skirting the border area. I stopped at Whitewatch Tower and had a conversation with the guards there. A couple of them were regulars, and had noted the presence of Stormcloak scouts appearing more often in the past few weeks. Generally, they didn't come too close to their position, but they assumed they were making it as far as the city walls. They could assume for what reason but, unless caught in the act, all they could do was report what they saw.

Heading over the border, the first Stormcloak camp was barely ten minutes away, and it was large. I didn't count how many soldiers, but it was obvious to me that it was an assembly area. If Aela and Lydia reported similar camps, then I would make a bold assumption and believe Ulfric was preparing to attack. I did wonder if I shouldn't just ride in and have a chat, but I wasn't that friendly with any Stormcloaks, and while I might be the Dragonborn, that would afford me respect but it could still provoke them.

By the time I returned to Whiterun that evening, I'd found half a dozen Stormcloak camps within an hour or so of the border. One was enormous, two were of significant size, the other three were small. But it suggested to me that Ulfric was definitely preparing for something. Aela and Lydia were already back by the time I was stabling my horse. Waiting in Breezehome, I collected them on the way up to Dragonsreach. As soon as Balgruuf saw us walk inside, he stood up from his throne and gestured for us to follow up the stairs, the four of us gathering around the large map of Skyrim.

Aela described what she found first, and it was bad enough. Lydia then added what she found, and the situation was worse. By the time I was finished, Balgruuf needed to sit down, burying his head in his hands. "By Ysmir," he muttered, "Ulfric is making his intentions clear. That much is obvious. Did they look ready for battle?"

I shared a glance with Aela and Lydia. Both shrugged. "The only good thing was the lack of siege weaponry. The walls are strong, my lord. Jarl Ulfric won't just send his men against the walls without something to make it easier for them. But the number of camps, the size of some of them, it would suggest he's gearing up for an attack. No point denying reality."

"You will need to take this to General Tullius as soon as you can, Ragnar," Balgruuf stated, "But before you do, I need to ask a favour. I need to know for sure of his intentions."

"I serve Whiterun, my lord."

"I need you to go to Windhelm itself. I will hand you a ceremonial axe. If Balgruuf accepts the axe, there will be peace. If he doesn't, then his intention will be obvious. I only ask you to go, putting your head in the lion's mouth, as I know you can enter and leave his city without issue."

"I will leave first thing tomorrow, my lord."

"I know I ask a lot..."

I waved that away. "You helped more than anyone regarding the Dragon Crisis, my lord. I think I owe a favour or two. And while I might no longer live here, I considered Whiterun home long enough that I certainly won't stand aside and watch it attacked." I gave it a moment of thought. "Okay, here's what I'll do. Aela, Lydia and I will return to Solitude. Give me the axe before I leave. I'll report to General Tullius what we've found, then I'll head east to Windhelm. What response Jarl Ulfric gives, I'll report it to General Tullius first, as no doubt he'll immediately make preparations either way, before I return here. If Jarl Ulfric refuses, I'll no doubt return here with an offer of assistance from the Empire."

Balgruuf nodded. "I will tell you my answer now. If Ulfric refuses the gesture, I will accept any help the Empire is willing to offer."

There was no point in hanging around Whiterun any longer than required, so we bade him goodbye, stopped at the Bannered Mare for a meal and a drink, before returning to Breezehome. As a sign of being serious about getting to sleep early, Lydia went to her own room while Aela stayed with me, but she kept her underwear on, and all we did was cuddle and enjoy quite conversation before drifting off.

It was an entire day's ride back to Solitude. Mirabelle, Serana and Haelga were a little surprised to see us at first, until I explained what we'd found. Elisif must have received word of our return as she appeared a couple of hours after our return, immediately asking what we'd found. Once I'd explained to her, we all gathered around the dinner table. "It's war," Elisif muttered, "And once the issue of Whiterun is decided, the war will resume until it has its victor."

After dinner, I walked up to Castle Dour to make my report. Tullius knew what it all meant, but wasn't surprised of the request Balgruuf made of me. He knew Ulfric was going to refuse the axe. His intention was clear, but I guess everyone would hope cooler heads would prevail. But even Tullius muttered that full scale war appeared inevitable. "This time, there will be not halt until there is a conclusion, one way or the other," he stated, "You will return here first?"

"Aye. Jarl Balgruuf has already stated that, if Ulfric refuses the axe, he will end his neutrality."

Tullius smirked. "Only because his city is ready to be attacked. But at least the stalemate will finally be at an end." He nodded to himself. "Okay, leave tomorrow, Dragonborn. Return here first with the response. I know what he'll say, but as soon as I have word, I will make preparations. We have thousands of men in the west, ready to move. Your intentions?"

"I will return here then I will base myself in Whiterun. I won't let Ulfric attack my home without a fight."

It was a long ride from Solitude to Windhelm, so although I could see a couple of my girls wanted my company that evening, although I shared a bed with Serana and Mirabelle, nothing happened except a bit of cuddling and sleeping. I woke up as the first rays of sunlight shone through the window, rising immediately as I needed to spend as much time in the saddle as possible. All my girls woke up to bid me goodbye, wishing me luck for my potential meeting with Jarl Ulfric. We all knew the outcome, all of us being realistic. He wanted the resumption of hostilities. He was going to refuse the axe.

The weather was horrific once I was a couple of hours east of Solitude. First it was only rain but once I was further north, the rain turned to snow, and with an already soaked thick coat, I was soon chilled to the bone, using a simple fire spell to dry out my coat and hoping I didn't light it on fire at the same time. The wind seemed to slow my horse to a crawl at times, and I didn't even contemplate stopping to rest to eat. It was the sort of day in the saddle anyone would hate, so by the time I arrived at the bridge leading towards the gates of Windhelm, I was beyond fed up and knew I wouldn't be allowed entrance to see Jarl Ulfric.

That meant a night at Candlehearth Hall, where I took one of the available rooms, otherwise sitting by the fire to warm myself up, nibbling at a little food and enjoying more than one tankard of ale. It allowed me to listen into the conversation, though I heard nothing that told me of the affairs inside the court of Jarl Ulfric.

I slept in the next morning, rising well after sunrise, making sure all my clothing was dry before putting them on, before I assembled myself in armour, grabbed my things, and headed out into the cool air of the Stormcloak capital. The Palace of the Kings towered over the city, an imposing grey building. It spoke of ancient Nordic power, and I'm sure those who visited the city perhaps wondered why the Palace of the Kings wasn't home to the High King of Skyrim. Politics, I guess.

As I was clearly a stranger, the guards at the door blocked my access. "State your business, stranger," one of them stated.

They were just doing their jobs so I certainly wasn't going to take offence. "I'm the Dragonborn. I seek an audience with Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak."

"And I'm the High King of Skyrim," he stated.

I sighed. "So it's going to be like that, is it?"

"Look, anyone could walk up and state they're the Dragonborn. Prove it and I'll personally escort you in." So I proved it and the guard kept his word. "Apologies, Dragonborn. Can't be too careful," he stated as he opened the door.

"Just doing your job. And I'm not exactly here to win friends."

"Ah, I understand."

He led me halfway up the hall before he stopped and saluted. At the far end was an enormous throne. Sat upon it was Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak. By his side were his aides. One of them immediately walked towards me as I slowly strode forward. "Who approaches the throne of the rightful King of Skyrim?" he asked, his voice nothing but a growl.

"Ragnar Dragonborn."

He definitely blinked in surprise. Then there was silence. I figured he perhaps wanted proof, but considering I was now inside, I guess that was proof enough. So he gestured and stated that I could approach the throne. Ulfric hadn't exactly heard who I was but his interest was definitely perked as I carefully walked forward. There were guards dotting the perimeter of the room, no doubt ready to move at a signal. And I was still armed and armoured, and being a stranger, they wouldn't trust me for a moment.

12