Dragonborn Rising Ch. 58

Story Info
The adventures of Ragnar the Dragonborn continue.
7.2k words
4.71
2.7k
5
0

Part 58 of the 64 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 12/13/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 58 -- Siege

* * * * *

Things happened quickly. Commander Caius was happy to put his men under my command, admitting that he was used to guarding against bandits and other minor issues. Having to defend the city against an entire army was something he admitted he had no idea what to do. So I thought long and hard about what tactics to use. Unless Tullius sent us significant numbers, we would be outnumbered.

So that meant we'd use a tactic I'd read about more than once. A shield wall. Place it somewhere that would funnel the Stormcloaks, unable to flank us, and they would fight and die at the wall. I thought it was a solid plan, sitting down with Caius and Balgruuf, explaining my idea. They were all for it. Serana arrived within three days with the entire Dawnguard alongside her. They would assist. The next day, the mages of the College arrived to help. Soon, any open space in Whiterun was filled with tents as we prepared.

The Stormcloaks made their move a week after my meeting with Jarl Ulfric. They arrived during the evening, when only the night watch manned the walls. I was woken at dawn, an excited scout explaining the situation. Heading out to the walls, I could see siege weapon at three sides of our walls. It looked like preparations were still being made, but there were numerous weapon on display, and the numbers of soldiers... This was going to be an all-out offensive, Ulfric leaving nothing to chance.

Thankfully, Imperial soldiers arrived the next day. Well, they would have done, but with the Stormcloaks now ringing the city, they had to fight their way through. We couldn't afford to head out and help them, but mages and archers helped from the walls. In the end, two-thirds of the Imperial force managed to get through the Stormcloak lines. I met their commanders, Legate Vakarian, who told me that he and all his men were being placed under my command. When I explained my idea, he smiled, stating he knew all about shield walls, and that he would assist where he could.

As the Stormcloaks prepared, so did we. I had soldiers and guards drilling all day. The mages knew they would invoke fear in the Stormcloaks. Ordinary Nords had a fear of magic, and I had no doubt the ordinary Stormcloak soldier would probably hate coming against a whole bunch of mages. The Dawnguard joked it would be weird killing humans instead of vampires. The Companions sat back and relaxed, simply waiting for the order to join in the killing. For once, they'd fight for pride rather than coin.

One evening, I stood with Ulfric at his map table, the map now of Whiterun and its surroundings. Whiterun was basically surrounded. Catapults were situated in positions that could easily rain down missiles that would hit anywhere. Attempts had been made at counting the enemy, and even with the arrival of Imperial forces, we were still outnumbered.

"How goes the training?" Balgruuf asked.

"They're ready to fight, my lord."

"And... will you use your gift?"

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "I've given my word to the Greybeards not to use it against man. And before you ask, I won't call in any dragons. I don't wish to abuse the understanding we have. And I doubt they would help. This is a human problem. They simply won't care. I trust my sword arm, my lord. And I trust the men and women under my command. We might be surrounded, by the walls are strong, and the shield wall will hold."

"When do you believe they'll finally attack?"

"I've thought about that and asked the Legion Commander. He believes they'll attack at first light. Generally, that's when shifts changed, people are just waking up, or going to bed. They can't attack at night. It's too confusing."

"I've received no word that Jarl Ulfric is here. Do you believe he'll arrive for the attack?"

I nodded. "Yes, my lord. He'll want to lead this personally. Taking this city will be a feather in his cap. And he'll want to pit his wits against the Dragonborn. Me being here makes it somewhat personal for both of us. And he'll want to gain victory by defeating not just the Empire but the Dragonborn."

"Then we wait for Jarl Ulfric ad see if he will parley. But I already know what he'll demand. Open our gates and side with him. And he will already know my response." He sat back in his chair and sagged with a sight. "There's nothing else that can be done right now, Dragonborn. Go home and relax. We know they won't attack without him being present. Hopefully he arrives soon and we can finally get this solved."

"I'll return tomorrow morning for breakfast, my lord."

He escorted me all the way to the doors of Dragonsreach, offering his hand as always, though I always grabbed his forearm and he would mine. "Thank you, Dragonborn. Save my city and... I'm not sure I could ever pay back what I owe."

"I'm owed nothing, my lord. It is the right thing to do."

Returning to Breezehome, it wasn't too late, Serana, Aela and Lydia still awake, waiting for me to return. Their roles were already defined. Serana would be with the mages. Lydia would be with me in the shield wall. Aela would join the archers on the wall. I took a seat by the small fire, sighing as I did. Lydia stood up and walked over to the area where food and drink was kept, returning with a tankard of ale for me. I offered thanks before taking a sip. "Are you in the mood tonight?" she asked.

I met her eyes and smiled. "For you three? Always. I'm sure you're as frustrated as I am. I hate waiting." I sighed again. "Despite the fact I haven't been fighting, it is exhausting."

Serana walked over and sat on my lap, wrapping an arm around the back of my neck, a soft kiss on my cheek. "Then maybe we should just... cuddle..."

"I can definitely do that."

We each drank a couple of tankards, eventually sitting at the table, reminiscing about times past. I knew we all worried about the conditions Whiterun would be left in at the end of the battle. I was confident of victory, but while I had skill and my gift, I knew I'd also been lucky. All it would take is one well timed arrow to take me down.

Heading upstairs, the four of us undressed and slid under the furs. There was a little kissing, hands being naughty, and we eventually split into pairs, Aela and Lydia having a little fun, while my fingers got busy with Serana. She was happy with that, giving her a couple of rather nice orgasms before she snuggled into me. Aela and Lydia fooled around for a bit longer, putting on a show which Serana and I enjoyed. Lydia then realised I hadn't enjoyed an orgasm, so insisted she blow me. I wasn't going to refuse, and certainly didn't last long, Lydia joking it was now unusual my cum ended up anywhere except in her pussy.

Eating breakfast together the next morning, a knock at the door wasn't a real surprise. But the insistent banging suggested someone had important news. Opening the door to be greeted by Irileth, I immediately assumed it was important news. "Jarl Ulfric has been sighted at the Stormcloak main camp to the south. Jarl Balgruuf believes we will receive a message or emissary at some point today."

"I'll dress and head to Dragonsreach as soon as possible."

"Very good. Just so you know, Jarl Balgruuf will ask you to remain at his side should Jarl Ulfric request a face to face meeting."

"I figured as much. Thanks, Irileth."

"I'll see you soon, Dragonborn."

Heading inside, I finished my breakfast before heading upstairs, quickly dressing myself in armour. Aela, Lydia and Serana joined me as I was already ready to walk out the door. I suggested there wouldn't be an attack but it was bound to happen sooner rather than later.

"What would you tell Ulfric should you meet with him?" Aela wondered.

"I'll warn him that, once he is defeated, I will make sure every city and province under his control falls until I'm standing at the gates of Windhelm. Attacking Whiterun is crossing the line. I didn't want to involve myself in this. I thought I'd done enough but I guess I was fooling myself." I walked around, giving each a kiss on the cheek. "I'm sure there won't be battle today. But I would suggest light sleeping going forward. They won't want to sit around and wait, and I don't believe Ulfric will just lay siege. He'll want to take the city in battle."

Heading up to Dragonsreach, Jarl Balgruuf, Irileth and Commander Caius were waiting for me. To be honest, there wasn't much we could discuss. It was a case of just waiting for a message to be sent by Ulfric. He would either send demands or he'd wish to meet face to face.

The message arrived immediately after lunch. Jarl Ulfric wanted a face to face meeting. As he prepared, I headed out into the city, immediately ordering archers and mages to the walls to oversee the meeting. I didn't believe Ulfric would pull any dirty tricks. I believed he was an honourable man, so we would talk, it would go nowhere, then battle would eventually start, whether tomorrow or the day after. But I knew the wait wouldn't last long.

Waiting at the gates, the horses from the stables had been brought in, so I would have one, as would Balgruuf, only Irileth joining us too. No way she was going to let Balgruuf out of her sight once past the gates, even if I was there. She took her duty seriously and would die to protect her Jarl.

"Open the gates!" I called, "Close them as soon as we pass!"

"Yes, Dragonborn!"

I glanced at Balgruuf. "Are you ready for this, my lord?"

"Aye, Dragonborn. I know what to expect. Let's just get this over with so the fighting can finally start. If blood needs to be spilled to protect my city, so be it."

The gates opened as I led the way through, Balgruuf following me, Irileth at his back. I heard the gates close as we followed the path down the hill. Ahead we could see the siege weapons and the soldiers of his army. Ulfric was already waiting for us, with a companion to either side of him. We eventually came to a stop perhaps six feet apart. We were all armoured. Weapons were sheathed. No-one moved their hands from their reins.

"Jarl Ulfric," Balgruuf stated, "What brings you to the gates of my city? And why have you brought soldiers and toys along?"

Ulfric grinned, and shrugged. "A mere statement of my power, Jarl Balgruuf."

"Say what you need, Ulfric. You should already know my response."

Ulfric leaned forward slightly. "I'll make this very simple, Balgruuf. You will open the gates of your city to my soldiers to prevent its unnecessary destruction. If you choose to fight, I will make sure the city burns and that you die along with it. You have two options, Balgruuf. Take the peaceful route, keep your head and your city safe. Refuse my generous offer, your city shall burn and you will die."

"I believe you are being rather over confident, Jarl Ulfric," I stated.

Ulfric looked at me. "I have every right to be confident. You are outnumbered. My catapults could lay waste to your entire city. You are one man, Dragonborn. And you can bleed like a man. And you can also die like one."

I leaned forward, making sure his eyes never met mine. "I will warn you only this once, Ulfric. Take yourself, take your soldiers, take your weapons, and leave Whiterun Hold."

"You jumped up little..." Galmar started to say, but Ulfric held up a hand.

"If you choose to fight, Ulfric, your army will die at the walls of this city. And once you're defeated here, I will make it my solemn duty to destroy your armies, burn your cities, and then you will find me at the gates of Windhelm. Do you really want to put that to the test? I've defeated Alduin. I've defeated Lord Harkon. Unlike those two, you are just a man. You will bleed."

Ulfric simply smiled. "I look forward to testing my mettle against the Dragonborn." He looked at Balgruuf. "You refuse my generous offer?"

"I'm going to put this simply, Jarl Ulfric. I look forward to the day I join the Dragonborn outside the walls of your city. And next time, I will listen as he makes demands, knowing you will have no choice. I refuse your offer, Ulfric. You want my city; you're going to have to earn it. But you will fail."

We didn't give him the chance to get the final word in, immediately turning our horses and heading back to the city quickly. Once through the gates, we dismounted and immediately put plans into motion. Archers and mages would now remain on the walls, taking different shifts, ensuring adequate protection all day and night. Those in the wall prepared themselves for the onslaught, many seeking out the priestesses of the temple. As Balgruuf and Irileth returned to Dragonsreach, I patrolled the city. Despite what lay on the other side of the wall, there was no real fear. Having lived through so many problems already, those who could fight, would. Those who couldn't would find safety.

I slept early that night, knowing Ulfric wouldn't delay. By the time I woke the next morning, it was still dark, and once I started moving, Lydia, Aela and Serana woke and joined me. We dressed quietly, all of us knowing that the attack would start as it was still dark, perhaps the first rays of light appearing over the horizon. The Stormcloaks would ensure fires would be started to provide targets.

"Aela, your archers along the wall are to target anyone approaching the walls with any sort of device to climb. Serana, mages are to target siege weaponry. Burn them if you can. If that's not possible, then target those who are operating the machines."

"Have you sent out scouts?"

I nodded. "Small parties, numbering no more than two or three. They will disable what they can. Most knew they probably wouldn't return, but they do it to protect Whiterun."

Heading out into the darkness of morning, I looked up to be greeted by a clear sky, millions of stars and the two moons above. Barley a cloud. Perfect conditions to launch an assault, to be honest. I headed to the main camp where Commander Caius waited. I issued the order for the men to be roused from sleep, but quietly. When, not if, Ulfric attacked, I wanted him to be over-confident that he would be catching us unawares.

It happened just as I thought. The light was just starting to brighten when there was a cry of alarm, gazing to see the first projectiles fired towards Whiterun. Bells started to ring to signal those who would fight to move, and for those who wouldn't to get to what safety they could find. I kept calm as archers and mages headed to the walls while my soldiers started to file up quickly near the gates. The noise was already terrific, hearing the Stormcloaks war cry as plenty headed to the walls.

Standing in front of my own men, those who would be in the shield wall with me, I met plenty of eyes. They were confident, of course. I guess it helped the Dragonborn was alongside them. "Stay loose for now. The Stormcloaks are coming. We've seen the battering ram. First they have to haul it up the hill, and that won't be easy. Archers and mages will be assaulting them as they. Then they have to get through these gates. They are strong, but won't hold forever. But after all that, they will meet our shield wall. And it will be impenetrable!" My men roared at that. "We will spill Stormcloak blood today, men. They are our brothers and sisters, but they have chosen the wrong side. Jarl Ulfric has picked the wrong fight. Our wall will remain strong and against it the Stormcloaks will wilt and die. Win this day, men, and I promise you glory will await you in the end. We will end Ulfric's march here, and tomorrow, we will march east in return. We will soon march all the way to the walls of Windhelm and return the favour. And the Dragonborn will lead you all to glory!"

The men positioned themselves by the gate, standing easy for now. I checked the walls, Commander Caius leading the defence. Hundreds of arrows must have been fired in both directions. We were already taking casualties. A few dead, a few wounded. The mages were proving their power, thunderbolts of fire being fired into the distance. Other spells were being used, but fire naturally caught the eye. More than one Stormcloak cried out as they were enveloped in flames. Projectiles continued to be fired into the city but, chancing a peek over the wall, I could already see catapults on fire.

Through all the madness, Jarl Balgruuf thought it be to join in. I could see Irileth at his side, almost pleading with him to return to Dragonsreach. I approached the pair as Balgruuf appeared on joining me at the shield wall. "My lord, are you sure this is safe?" I asked.

"This is my city, Dragonborn, and I will assist in its defence."

"Your place is at Dragonsreach, my lord," Irileth stated, almost exasperated.

"I am a Nord, Irileth. To sit back and do nothing is dishonourable. I could not show my face in Sovngarde if I left the defence of my city to others."

Irileth looked at me. "Sorry, Irileth, but it is a Nordic thing." I met his eyes. "Okay, my lord, you can fight. But you stay tight to me. Irileth, you stay tight to his other side. If the wall even looks close to breaking, you run to Dragonsreach, my lord. I'm not having your death stain my conscience."

"Of course, Dragonborn."

"I don't like it. But I trust you," Irileth added, "Lord, if you even get a scratch, you bet your arse I am dragging you out of the fight, even if I have to do it at sword point myself."

Balgruuf just looked at Irileth with a grin. "And that's precisely why you're in the position you are. I agree. If it gets nasty, I'll retreat."

"Dragonborn, they're sending in the ram!" Aela called.

I gave it some thought. "Let it come! Send everyone to the walls to prevent them being taken. We'll handle those who come with the ram!"

I noticed movement above as my men started to shuffle, getting into position. We'd trained every day since I'd taken charge. It takes a hell of a lot for a shield wall to falter, and considering it would be unlikely cavalry would be used, it would take a stroke of luck or brilliant tactics for ours to crumble. The only way we'd fail is if nerves took hold.

Focusing on the gates ahead, the sound of battle behind dimmed as I concentrated on the object ahead. We waited with bated breath until there was the first slam of the ram against the gates, hearing the cries from the other side. Aela was keeping watch above, staying in cover and only peeking her head over the side. "How many, Aela?" I called.

She had a quick glance. "Well, I think Ulfric has kept most of his army for this."

"Okay, if you want, find a few faces to bury some arrows. We'll handle the rest."

There were a few more slams of the ram before the gates started to crack. One or two men shuffled, perhaps feeling those last few nerves, but they calmed against quickly, remaining loose for the moment. Another hit, and this time the crack was louder. The wooden plank holding the gates in place started to splinter. I stepped back and joined my brothers and sisters in the shield wall. "Soldiers of Whiterun... Shield wall!"

It formed up, protection for legs, bodies and heads. I kept a space so I could see the gates and the wooden plank. It took three more solid hits before it broke completely. The ram would then be pulled back, another war cry from the Stormcloaks, and then gates opened up.

That's when they would have noticed our shield wall. To their credit, they charged as one, immediately feeling the slam of bodies into my shield. As they hammered away with swords, axes, clubs and their own shields, we held the line, using the small gaps to thrust our swords through, finding armour, shields or skin. More often than not, a bloody sword was pulled back, the small gap immediately closed.

"Hold the line!" I roared, "Hold the line!"

"For Whiterun!" Lydia added.

The soldiers of Whiterun roared as the pressure increased. The Stormcloaks were brave in the face of our wall. They died bravely, but they still died. We took a few wounds, of course. No shield wall is ever perfect. Gaps would appear. Limbs would grow tired. Nerves took hold and some would simply falter. No-one retreated though. The wall stood firm.

12