Dragonborn Rising Ch. 61

Story Info
The adventures of Ragnar the Dragonborn continue.
7.3k words
4.72
2.9k
4

Part 61 of the 64 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 12/13/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 62 -- War's End

* * * * *

"Ready, Dragonborn?"

"Aye, General."

Mounting up alongside Rikke and a small retinue of soldiers, we headed north straight for the outskirts of Windhelm. It was a clear day for once, though that meant the temperature had plummeted, and we were all wrapped in thick fur coats. When the dark grey walls of the city came into view, our pace naturally slowed. My eyesight we pretty good, and I could just about see soldiers patrolling the walls. There were more guards at the gates, and they had been busy forming plenty of barricades on the bridge leading across.

Dismounting and leaving our horses, Tullius, Rikke and I immediately walking forward. We were a quarter of the way across when the gates ahead opened, Ulfric exiting, flanked by two of his own people. I recognised the one with the beard as the same man who'd been at his side during the conference at High Hrothgar, and also at his side out Whiterun. The other I didn't recognise, no doubt the commander of the city's forces or something.

Approaching with caution, we stopped around five metres apart. There was enough wind that no archer would feel completely confident taking a shot at us from the walls, though one might be attempted to try. We stood in silence, staring and glaring at each other.

"What brings you to my city, General?" Ulfric finally asked.

"You've lost, Ulfric. You've lost control of all the Holds you once held, and you barely control the Hold of your capital city."

"I haven't lost yet, General. While I still draw breath, and while I still have soldiers willing to fight and die for the cause, we haven't lost yet."

"Your position is hopeless, Ulfric. Please, see some sense in this," Rikke almost pleaded, "Enough of our brothers and sisters have died for this pointless war."

Ulfric glared at her. "Pointless? This is far from pointless. This is about freedom. The freedom of our people, to escape the inadequate government that now serves us. The freedom of our people to speak freely. The freedom of our people to worship who they please. The freedom of our people to expel the Thalmor from our lands. The freedom of our people to rise up as one and find our place in the sun."

"You are nothing but a traitor to your people and the Empire, Ulfric. And if it was my decision, I would ensure what we started in Helgen was finished as soon as possible."

Ulfric smirked. "You're welcome to throw your soldiers at my walls, General. They are strong and have withheld numerous sieges over the centuries."

"Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak, I challenge you to single combat of arms," I stated. He looked at me, eyes widening in surprise. "Do you accept the challenge?"

"You want to fight me, Dragonborn?"

"If it ends this bloody war without the needless deaths of your soldiers and your civilians, we can end this with a fight. The Dragonborn versus the Jarl of Windhelm, potential High King of Skyrim."

"Conditions of battle?"

"We can fight wherever you want except behind your walls."

"If you win?"

"I won't kill you, Jarl Ulfric, but I will make you submit. If you lose, the war is over."

"And if I win?"

It was my turn to smirk. "You won't."

"Your Thu'um?"

"To ensure a fair battle, I will refrain from using it. I trust the skill of my sword and shield. If you try and use the Thu'um yourself like you did against Torygg, you will find I was simply stand in place as you try. Then I will return the favour... and at that moment, your last thoughts will be of regret that you used such an underhanded tactic."

"I would give the offer serious thought, Ulfric," Tullius added, "You have until tomorrow morning to consider. We will meet here again. Further conditions of the battle can be agreed then. But this will be resolved, one way or the other. Either the Dragonborn will secure our victory, or we will take your city by force."

"I look forward to seeing you try, General."

Tullius turned around immediately as did Rikke. I stayed in place for a few seconds more, simply looking at Ulfric before I looked at the warrior at his side. The glare he returned was almost hate-filled. So I made sure I had the most sarcastic smirk possible as I said, "Once I'm done with him, you're more than welcome to have a go."

"You dishonour your Nordic brothers and sisters."

"No, I do this to protect them from people like yourselves. Narrow-minded fools."

His hand went to his back, where his maul was placed. Ulfric rested a hand on his shoulder. "No, Galmar. We agreed to meet in peace. Ignore the words of the Dragonborn. We will agree terms of the fight tomorrow. Talos guides me and is on our side. We will be victorious in the end." He met my eyes one last time. "Until tomorrow, Dragonborn."

He turned his back on me, waiting for his two companions to do the same thing. Only when they were making their way through the barricades did I turn around and join Tullius and Rikke back at our horses, immediately returning to the tavern. As they and his officers continued to make plans, I didn't believe I've be required so headed off back to the main camp.

Wandering around, I watched soldiers taking part in training drills, others busy exercising, some were sitting back and relaxing, others were carrying out other duties that kept a camp relatively clean and somewhat hygienic. As the sun slowly started to fade, the air turning cooler this far north, wind whipping off the near frozen sea to the north-east, I grabbed a bedroll and some furs, hiking my way back north, past Kynesgrove, to the hill overlooking Windhelm. There were soldiers already stationed there. Figuring out who I was within a few seconds, I dumped my stuff near the campfire and joined them as they watched over the city.

"The city is packed with people, Dragonborn," one of the soldiers stated, "But they have nowhere to go."

"I'm sure they know we're watching."

"All three sides. Wherever we have elevation, we have eyes on them. They're no doubt trying to watch us in return. We're not exactly standing here in darkness."

"Has word reached you of what is to happen tomorrow?"

"Aye. To be honest, you will have the thanks of every soldier here if you can end it with a simple man on man fight. Even those behind the walls of Windhelm would rather have this end without even more death. Most of us just want to go home to our families."

"You're not a career soldier?"

"Me? I've served since I was sixteen. But there are plenty back in our camps who are farmers, miners, traders, all having joined to protect the Empire, but many of us have now been fighting for a long time. It's time this ended and peace was restored. I haven't seen my wife in... a long time. My children would be reaching double figures by now."

"Do you hear from your wife?"

"Aye, she knows her letters well enough. Once a month, the mail will come."

"Then, tomorrow, I will make sure that you see your wife and children one day again soon."

We stood overlooking Windhelm until it was dark, stars twinkling in the sky, the air turning bitterly cold. There was plenty of light from behind the walls. We could hear faint sounds of singing, the clang of steel on steel, the general noise a city made, even at that time of evening. Even in the darkness, you could just about see the soldiers patrolling the walls, occasionally passing by a torch, highlighting their faces and uniform.

Sleep came surprisingly easily that evening. I wasn't concerned about fighting Ulfric. I wasn't being arrogant. I'd been fighting for years by now. I had plenty of scars, might earn one or two more, but I was confident I would beat Ulfric in combat. I just had to make sure I didn't let adrenaline flow too much and end up killing the man. Wound? Yes. Kill? No.

Waking with the sun the next morning, I broke bread with the same soldiers I'd stood watch with the previous evening before I made my way back to the tavern where Tullius and the rest were waiting. As I walked in, I was surprised all four offered a salute, right arm across their chest, fist balled, a dip of the head. "Dragonborn," they stated together.

"Um... thanks."

"Are you ready for what it is to come?" Tullius asked.

"Aye. We'll meet with him, discuss, then we will fight. I would suggest no real delay. If he agrees to the challenge, it must be done before sundown."

"Agreed. Have you broken your fast?"

"Aye. I'm ready to depart whenever you are."

Tullius issues a few more orders before we headed outside, mounted up, and started our ride back towards Windhelm. This time, Ulfric was already waiting for us. I wondered if he'd slept the previous evening, or if he'd been kept awake, going over my challenge, wondering if he should accept it or not. And if he accepted, what chances he had of victory? I'm sure he was confident as I was.

Dismounting as we had the previous morning, Tullius, Rikke and I approached them carefully, our eyes again watching the guards above, wondering if they'd dare fire an arrow in our direction. Ulfric was flanked by the two as the previous day. I politely bowed my head once we were around five metres apart. "Jarl Ulfric."

"Dragonborn." He looked around. "A crisp, clear morning. Light wind. Not too bright. Perfect conditions for battle, wouldn't you say?"

"I'd rather fight in conditions like this than snow or rain."

"Aye. You have spent many years fighting, correct?"

"That is correct, lord." His eyes widened slightly when I called him that. "You are my enemy, but you are still a Jarl. And despite being the enemy, I am aware of your history. Respect, lord. It has been earned."

He dipped his head. "Unexpected. Thank you, Dragonborn." He stood a little straight. "Consider your challenge accepted, Dragonborn. What conditions do you propose?"

"Single combat. One-handed weapon, shield if wanted. Fight until submission or serious enough injury the fight cannot continue."

"Not to death?"

"I will not kill you, lord, but I will force you into submission. However, do not think I won't use lethal force should you prove dishonourable, lord. I mean no offence, but even the most honourable of warriors can make split decisions which would cause the gods to look unfavourably upon them."

"Can I kill you?"

I glanced at Tullius. He shrugged, so I looked back at Ulfric. "If you want to kill the Dragonborn, and you manage to get the upper hand enough to obtain a lethal strike, I will leave it up to you whether you wish to take the step of killing the Dragonborn."

He nodded before he turned to his men. "Leave us. I wish to speak to the Dragonborn alone."

I glanced at Tullius, who met my eyes, nodded, and suggested to Rikke they leave me alone. Once Ulfric and I were alone, we stepped forward until we were within arms reach. He was a large, broad man. Almost the same size as myself. He was definitely older, of course, but I was sure he had the scars of battle all over him. His eyes were... no wonder they followed him. They burned with intent. Just his presence alone must have provoked inspiration. When he offered his arm, I grasped his forearm with my hand, feeling him do the same. "Do you know why I started this war?"

"I do, lord."

"Do you disagree?"

"The reason? Not entirely. The way you've approached it? Completely."

"I am a proud Nord, Dragonborn. I would die for Skyrim. Would you?"

"If necessary, yes."

He met my eyes and nodded after a few seconds. "Aye, I believe you would too. So, when shall we meet?"

"Sun's height?"

"Aye, that works for me, Dragonborn." We stepped closer until we our noses almost touched. "Killing you will give me no personal pleasure," he added.

"Do not give me reason to kill you, lord. I merely intend to end this war."

"I would die for Skyrim." He eyes bored into mine and I knew what he was saying. He would only submit when he was dead. "I'm not the only one, Dragonborn. Thousands of us will die for the ideal of a free Skyrim."

I didn't reply, simply meeting his eyes before we released the arm of the other and stepped back. I bowed my head again. "Until later, Jarl Ulfric."

I walked backwards, as did he, before turning and walking back towards our horses. Mounting up, we rode straight back to Kynesgrove. Heading into the tavern, I asked for someone to spar with me, to warm myself up for what was to come. Rikke offered, so we headed outside and she put me through my paces. When I felt she was taking it too easy, I riled her up to make her attack me harder. We only stopped when it looked like we were about to start drawing blood, but it was just what I wanted. The adrenaline was now flowing.

Heading into the tavern, I requested time alone, given a room where I shut the door, unstrapping my armour, leaving my sword and shield on the bed, taking the medallion from around my neck and placing it on the small table, before getting onto my knees, dipping my head, closing my eyes, and praying to the Nine.

Despite my confidence in battle, a little divine inspiration wasn't a bad thing.

I only moved when there was a knock at the door. "It's time, Dragonborn," Rikke stated.

I slowly dressed in my armour, making sure I was completely comfortable, all the important parts were protection. I sheathed my sword, making sure that was in the right place, my dagger opposite, shield on my back. Picking up my helmet, I headed out into the hall and outside, where Tullius, Rikke, and all the others were waiting. Mounting up, we started our journey down the hill, and it was only then that I realised the crowds had formed. Hundreds upon hundreds of soldiers lied the road leading towards the main one that led to Windhelm. That was lined either side by even more soldiers. They did not cheer, not yet. But they watched me pass expectantly, wanting me to make the return journey in triumph however long later it would happen.

Tullius and Rikke stopped earlier than before, leaving me to approach the entrance of the bridge alone. Dismounting, I tied the horses to a wooden railing and glanced back to see soldiers watching from the nearby hills. I was fairly sure the road I'd just ridden down was now jam packed with even more. Most wouldn't be able to see but word would pass the ranks quickly.

Taking a deep breath, I walked up onto the bridge approaching Windhelm. The barricades had been removed. There was no nothing between myself and the gates leading into the city. Walking slowly, I looked up to see guards on the ramparts above. In fact, I was fairly sure each gap was taken by a soldier, though none of them looked armed.

Ulfric appeared through the gates, approaching as cautiously as I did. Once we were around ten metres apart, he unsheathed his sword, shield already in place. Following his example, he waited until I was ready before he roared and charged. I let him come towards me though once he was close, and I recognised the swing coming, I feigned blocking his swing before basically pirouetting as I went by him, making sure I ended up with my back to the gates, Ulfric coming to a stop and spinning around.

I then surprised him by dropping my shield. He could keep his if he wanted, but I wanted this over quickly. And carrying a heavy shield would only tire me out. I wouldn't have to worry about protecting myself from other warriors in the middle of a melee. My entire focus would be on him.

To his credit, the shield he carried clattered onto the ground within a few seconds, both of us twirling swords in our hand as we slowly closed on each other. Then we struck, the clang of steel ringing around. Mostly feints, testing each other out. He knew I wasn't going for a killing stroke. I knew he would probably kill me if he got the chance. That wasn't going to stop me though. I'd been sent out on plenty of contracts where the objective was to send a message, not to kill.

The first 'bout' last a couple of minutes, almost testing each other out. Then we stepped back, took a breath. Even though it was cold, I could already feel the sweat forming. Ulfric took a couple of deep breaths.

I let him go on the front foot again. His skill with sword was exemplary, but a lot of technique is footwork, about how you position your body. Though I was impressed, I could see deficiencies. Enough that I knew I could get the upper hand when necessary. Though he practices, I was left thinking he hadn't seen battle in quite a while, leaving the fighting to his soldiers. Probably like Tullius, in all honesty.

Whenever he came forward, I could defend myself reasonably enough, but never gave him the idea he was getting the upper hand. Whenever he might have started to gain some confidence, I made sure I moved out of the way quickly, or moved my sword to block and deflect his, leaving him swinging or stabbing at thing air.

We must have duelled for a good five minutes before he stepped back, breathing heavily, hair now plastered to his forehead. "You are indeed talented, Dragonborn," he stated.

"As are you, Jarl Ulfric."

I took the initiative the next time, spending all my time on the front foot. I could read most of his moves. I spent most of my time simply trying to disarm him, which he did realise, so positioned himself enough that made me hesitate just enough that I couldn't get the strike I wanted. We eventually ended up close together, and that's when he tried throwing his forehead into my face. Seeing it coming, I turned my head enough that his forehead met my temple. He groaned and I growled, and I threw him backwards. As I shook my head of stars, I noticed him on his back, looking up as he blindly felt for his weapon. Walking forward, I put the tip of my sword to his throat. "Some would consider that dishonourable, Jarl Ulfric. But in a fight to the death, any advantage must be used."

"And now?"

"You stumbled, Jarl Ulfric. To consider this a victory would not bring myself honour. You may pick up your sword," I replied, taking half a dozen steps back. I watched him carefully stand up, leaning over to pick up his sword, before he met my eyes. "Are you ready?"

"Aye."

He was older than I was. No doubt he hadn't done anything requiring this much energy and exertion in quite a while. He would have spent all his time on his horse watching over his armies. He was starting to slow down already. Some of his swings were growing lazy. He was breathing heavily. While I hadn't duelled anyone like this in a long time, I was definitely feeling better than he was.

I took the initiative again, now intent on ending the duel. You tend not to think too much during a duel, much of it is natural, almost muscle memory, reacting before your opponent had even made a move. Slowly but surely, I put Ulfric on the back foot, keeping my sword busy, never give him a moment to rest, nor even think about counter attacking, constantly on the defensive. I drew blood more than once, a cut here, a cut there. It wouldn't be the blood loss, it would be the discomfort of each cut. Enough to distract for long enough that I'd finish the duel.

I had him on the back foot for so long that desperation eventually won out, charging towards me without a care in the world. Footwork, skill with sword, using everything I had to my advantage. His sword went flying, but he was a veteran of warfare. As I went to press my advantage, he withdrew a hidden dagger, and it was only skill and a bit of luck that halted it ending up in my neck. I forced him back against the wall of one of the towers, my strength showing as I forced the dagger back until it rested millimetres away from his neck. "Listen to me," I said.

"I will die if necessary, Dragonborn," he grunted, feeling him try and force the dagger back.

I forced the dagger back enough that it pressed against his skin. Pressed enough it drew blood. "Look at my eyes, lord." I waited until his eyes met mine. "Look at my eyes, Jarl Ulfric. What do you see?"