DragonStorm Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Is that a threat, Weyrwoman?"

"Call it anything you like. Just remember, wingleader, we have fifteen bronzes here. If you don't like Ista, we'll find another Weyr to take you. If we can find anyone that stupid."

R'travil ground his teeth, his face contorted in a furious mask. He was about to turn away when the queenrider stopped him.

"One last thought, R'travil." Her voice was a bit milder. The softer tone caused him to turn expectantly. "Darian and Selana are popular with the rest of the Healer Hall. Flying Thread is dangerous work. Do you really want a bad score, yours or Quarelth's, treated by somebody who doesn't like you? And tread lightly around Darian. He'd love an excuse to kill you. I know you think you're good with a knife, but believe me, he's better than you."

He paused, considering the warnings. Shrugging his shoulders disgustedly, the bronzerider walked away.

Cosira watched him for a time, then looked around for Selana. The junior queenrider was nowhere in sight. Above her, the Weyrwoman saw a flash of gold. She recognized Scylenth's awkward glide, the dragon heading back to her weyr. All too soon, the clumsy flight of a weyrling would give way to the grace, power and passion of a mating flight. The thought sent an involuntary shudder through her. Why did that dizzy little dragon have to choose a craftbred girl? Worse yet, why at Ista?

'She will do well,' a quiet thought confirmed.

'Who?' Cosira asked, 'Scylenth or Selana?'

'The little queen is very strong. She will do well. She'll care for her rider.'

'I hope you're right, dear one. She seems upset too often.'

'She worries about the winged one. It upsets her. Scylenth doesn't seem concerned, only curious. She'll take care of the rider.'

'Hmmm.'

'Why are you worried?'

Cosira looked up. Caylith was approaching, gliding majestically from the far side of the bowl. She hadn't realized her thoughts were confused enough to concern the queen. The situation was troublesome, but not out of control. It was interesting that Caylith wished to involve herself. 'I'm concerned about R'travil. He's a good wingleader. We need him. But he's causing trouble. He's upsetting the young queenrider.'

'Shall I bespeak Quarelth?'

'Why would you do that?'

'The small rider won't bother her if I speak to Quarelth.'

'Now Caylith,' Cosira warned, 'that would be interference. You know we aren't supposed to interfere with other dragons. It's not the right thing to do.'

'Of course not,' Caylith agreed. 'Do you want me to bespeak Quarelth?'

'I'd never ask you to do such a thing.'

'I never said you would.'

Cosira chuckled. When Caylith started acting like this, things were best left alone. She had no doubt Quarelth was about to receive some subtle instruction. The queen landed, extending her neck to receive a loving pat on the muzzle and a gentle scratching of the eye ridge. She had little time to enjoy the attention. A bronze appeared out of between above her, followed by a white. The new arrivals headed for the junior queens' weyrs.

Cosira stepped up to her own queen's lowered foreleg, jumping deftly to the golden neck. Caylith followed the others. At her approach, Ruth leapt into the air, making room for the senior queen to land.

Inside, G'dened and Jaxom were lowering the lethargic avion to his bed. Sharra and Selana covered him with one of the heavy furs. The Weyrwoman arrived as Brekke answered the bronzerider's question.

"It's not as bad as it looks. He's dehydrated and in shock. We need to keep him warm, get his fluid level back up, and slow his breathing. Other than that, all he can do is rest."

"How long are we talking here?" the Weyrleader asked. "Days, seven-days?"

Brekke laughed. "It's only a matter of hours. If we get some fluid in him and he sleeps well tonight, he'll be back to normal by morning."

"Or as normal as he ever gets," Cosira added, stepping up beside her mate. She gave him a quick peck on the cheek. "Thank you, love. I really appreciate what you did."

G'dened nodded, reaching up to pat the hand holding his arm. "You're welcome." He gave her a sly grin. "We'll discuss terms of payment later." He turned back to the healer, but not before seeing the slight flush in his mate. "What can we provide to help you?"

"We'll need a lot of fruit juice. Cold water will help, but the juice is better for him."

The Weyrleader gazed at Brekke. He watched the soft brown hair sway around her neck and throat. The bright green eyes were as inviting as ever. A sharp jab in the ribs told him his scrutiny of the lovely Weyrhealer was closer than required.

"Fine," he said, clearing his throat. "That we can provide with ease."

"He'll need to be monitored. We need to keep him warm, but I don't want him sweating. We'll work in shifts. Sharra will take the first watch, unless she needs to get back to Ruatha. I'll relieve her at the evening meal. If not, I'll take the first shift."

"I can stay," the Ruathan Lady Holder told her.

"And I'll relieve you," Selana interjected. She looked at Brekke meaningfully, getting a coy smile from the Benden Weyrhealer.

"No, you won't," G'dened contradicted. "You'll stay with your queen. If Brekke needs extra help, I'll assign another queenrider to help. Will Elysina be acceptable?"

A low cough to his left distracted the Istan. He turned his head, catching his weyrmate's eye. Her regard did not look friendly. "Elysina has duties elsewhere this evening," Cosira said. "If you need help, Remara or I can stay with Darian." She stressed the 'I'.

G'dened peered at her blankly for a moment. As realization of her meaning dawned on him, his eyes widened. Giving in to a sardonic frown, he rolled them toward the ceiling. "Alright, Remara can help. She'll relieve you at dusk. Is that alright?"

Brekke stared at him curiously. Her gaze moved rapidly from Weyrleader to Weyrwoman to Selana and back. She shrugged her shoulders. "Does Remara have any healer training?"

"No," the Weyrleader said, "but you can tell her what she needs to watch for. Now, I suggest we get out of here and let him rest. Cosira, would you see that Imala provides the fruit juice Brekke wants?"

"Um, Elysina would be better," the Benden healer suggested.

"She's not available. It'll have to be Remara."

Brekke sighed but bowed her head, signifying her acceptance of the decision.

The bronzerider directed everyone but Brekke and Sharra out of the weyr. He pointedly moved Selana to her waiting queen, ordering her to bathe and oil the golden weyrling. As Scylenth began her slow glide to the lake, Ruth eased to the ledge for his rider.

"Lord Jaxom, please come to the council room for the afternoon. We'd be honored if you and Lady Sharra would dine with us this evening."

Jaxom nodded, jumping to his dragon's neck. He directed Ruth off the ledge and down to the lower cavern.

Caylith retrieved her rider and led the way back to the Weyrleaders' ledge. Barnath had just landed on his ledge and G'dened was jumping down from his leg when Cosira turned on him. "You are being a total ass," she informed him.

The bronzerider's eyes narrowed, his forehead creasing. "What brought that on?" he started.

"Shut up!" his mate snapped. Her eyes blazed angrily as she continued. "You are being cruel to Selana, and I think you're enjoying it. She needs your help, not your interference. She gets enough harassment from R'travil without getting more from you."

"Why are you... "

"And back off on Darian," she added. "That isn't helping either. You're making an enemy you don't need."

"He's welcome to leave any time he wants to," G'dened replied. "I've already asked Master Healer Oldive for another healer."

"What are you going to do? Transfer them back to Eastern?"

"Any time he wants to go," the Weyrleader retorted. "But Selana and Scylenth stay."

Cosira's face contorted into a furious snarl. Her words were cold and ominous. "Alright, G'dened, do it your way. But when you try to send Darian off and separate him from Selana, you'd better be ready, because he's going to turn on you. I just warned R'travil, and now I'm warning you. Darian's the best knife fighter in this Weyr, maybe on Pern, and he doesn't play by our rules."

She paused for a moment, gathering her thoughts. Her tone continued to be ominous. "If you do manage to survive, find another Weyr that wants you and Barnath, because he'll need a new weyr and he'll never mate with Caylith again. And I'll make your life miserable. Not even you get to interfere with my junior queens. This is Caylith's Weyr, not Barnath's. Weyrleaders can be replaced. Don't forget that." The Weyrwoman turned and departed angrily.

G'dened looked after her, startled by the ultimatum. It took only a moment for him to realize that two dragons were watching him. Caylith's expression was less than cordial, her eyes whirling a frightening red/orange.

Barnath regarded him carefully, the normally deep blue eyes spinning an odd yellow green. 'You're getting us into a lot of trouble.'

His rider didn't give him the chance to say anything else. 'Not now, Barnath. I don't want to hear I told you so.'

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The afternoon and evening passed quickly. Brekke relieved Sharra just before dinner, allowing her to join her mate for the meal. Her patient was cooperative. He liked the fruit juice, drinking it in copious amounts. By the time twilight faded into full night, his vital signs had stabilized.

Brekke was a bit surprised when Remara failed to arrive. Instead, Selana walked into the weyr, telling her she was excused for the night. The Benden Weyrhealer smiled at her. "Where's Remara?"

"Who knows?" the journeyman replied dismissively. "This is my weyr, not hers. Not even G'dened tells Scylenth she can't sleep on her own couch."

"Um, he is the Weyrleader."

Selana gave her a scathing look. "He can take a long walk in a full fall, for all I care. Nobody tells me I can't sleep with my own husband."

Brekke's eyes widened, but she decided this subject was best left alone. "I take it Scylenth is clean, dry and well oiled?"

"She's curling up now."

The journeyman got up from the table, gathering her materials. "Alright, Selana, I'll leave him to you. He's doing better, but he needs rest."

"Don't worry. I'll take good care of him."

Brekke chuckled softly. "That's what I'm afraid of."

Selana grinned at her. "Get out of here, cousin."

"Alright. I'm going, I'm going." The Bendenite took a last look around, ensuring she'd left everything in order. She gave a final nod to Darian, a smile to Selana. "Enjoy yourselves."

The young queenrider snickered, directing her friend to the weyr tunnel. She returned quickly, walking about the sleeping chamber, easing shields into place on the glow-baskets. Ti swept into the room, taking a perch on the table. Lucifer followed. The firelizards started their high-pitched crooning as she loosened the belt on her tunic.

Low chuckles distracted her. She turned to find Darian watching. "Brekke said I need rest."

"You've been resting all day, and you'll be sleeping all night," the healer told him. She continued removing her clothing, depositing the items one by one on the wall hooks. "Besides, Brekke isn't here. I'm in charge of you now." She lifted the fur, sliding in beside him. "And I intend to relax you."

"What about Scylenth?"

"Scylenth is asleep. Now, lay down and shut up. Healer's orders."

Darian complied, laughing softly.

Selana chuckled indulgently at his lecherous grin. She silenced his suggestive laughter in the most effective method she knew. Her lips closed over his.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ista Weyr

(Next day, January 20th)

Darian bowed to the senior queen, then reached out to gently scratch her eyeridge. Caylith rumbled a happy response. Even as the whirling blues eyes looked at him, he heard a voice from within the weyr.

"Come on in, masterhealer. I've been waiting for you."

He walked into the inner weyr, finding the Weyrwoman standing next to the service shaft. She indicated the table, pointing to a seat. "Feeling any better?"

"I'm fine. Just needed some rest. Thank you for asking."

"Your hand?"

The avion shrugged. "Brekke rebandaged it. I'll probably need some antibiotics for a seven-day or so."

"Just had some fresh klah sent up. Would you like some?"

"Please," the avion replied. "Scylenth said you wanted to see me?"

Cosira crossed to the table, pouring two mugs of klah before setting the pitcher down and seating herself. "Yes, I did." She gave him an indecipherable regard. "You're causing problems with my queenriders again."

Eyes narrowing, the Cygnan swallowed as he recalled the events of the past two days. "I'm sorry," he said, "I didn't mean to be cruel to Scylenth. I just lost my temper."

"Did I say you did something wrong?" the tall blonde rejoined. "This time I don't think it's your doing. I just want to try to explain something to you." She noted the interest in her guest's eyes and the slight relaxation of his arms. "Actually, I think one of my queenriders might be causing some problems for you."

The avion's eyes closed, a half-smile forming even as he shook his head. "Oh, no," he groaned. "Elysina." He chuckled. "I should have known."

"Should have known what? That she's interested in you? Nothing unusual there. I don't think there's a woman here at Ista or probably at Eastern who hasn't thought about bedding you at some point."

He lowered his head to his crossed arms, laying at the edge of the table. He felt like everything he did was getting him into deeper and deeper trouble, even when he didn't do anything. "I'm sorry. I'm not trying to attract any of them. What am I doing wrong?"

The woman smiled, shaking her head slightly. "You're not doing anything wrong. You're just being you. On Pern, that's enough. You are rather unique, you know."

A sudden thought struck him, a result of something he'd just heard. "Wait a minute," he objected. "Please don't tell me you're interested in me."

She hid her smile behind the mug before admitting, "Oh, the thought had crossed my mind. But don't worry. I'll be gentle."

The avion stared at her with concern and uncertainty. "You didn't call me in here for this, did you? Do I need to leave?"

Now laughing openly, the woman calmed him. "No, you don't need to leave. I want to tell you a few things that might make life a bit easier to understand, that's all." She got to the point of her summons. "You have Elysina thoroughly confused," she chuckled.

"I have HER confused?" the avion protested.

"Yes, very confused. But that's not your fault. Not hers either, but that's what I want to tell you about. I think a little background might help you both." She sipped at her klah.

"Elysina is an orphan. She was raised at Ista Hold. Warbret took her as his ward when she was about eight or nine, I believe. Even then it was obvious she was going to be a beauty. You've met Warbret several times, so you should know how traditional he is.

"When she became a teen, he discouraged any contact between her and boys. Even when she was Searched, he was reluctant to let her go. We told him that we'd keep an eye on her and assured him that she wouldn't be harassed by the males in the Weyr. Not so sure we did a very good job of it. She was rather shy at the time, which helped. Apparently Warbret gave her some self-defense training at the Hold. The only time I remember one of the boys getting really aggressive with her, she kicked the stuffing out of him. Didn't have to do it after that."

"Considering her size," Darian observed, "that must have been something of a shock."

"Yes, and that's another reason she never really learned to relate to men. At least, not in any normal sense.

"Obviously, she did impress Valkryth. That made matters even worse. She had to put up with the same crap that Selana's going through now. Of course, she handled it a bit differently. She wasn't married and she didn't have you to protect her. She got the reputation of being quite the flirt. I'd say she deserved it. How far she carried it I don't know, but I don't think it was very far. At least, she never turned up pregnant."

Cosira stopped to ensure that she had the male's attention. She needn't have worried. "This is where it starts to involve you. El's relationships with men have always been very one-sided. It seemed that the only interest most of them ever had in her was how fast they could get her into bed. I don't know that she ever actually had a male friend. Not sure she could recognize one. That's why you have her so confused. She can't comprehend that you're willing to be her friend but don't want to be her lover."

Darian sighed. He hooked his fang over his lower lip, allowing himself a contemplative half-smile. "Okay. That kind of makes sense. Should I stay away from her?"

The Weyrwoman shrugged. "I don't think that would help. It's not very practical in a Weyr. She feels rejected, Darian. If you go out of your way to avoid her, it's only going to get worse. I know she's trying to seduce you. She's not exactly being subtle about it. But it's not because she wants to take you from Sel. It's the only way she knows to relate to men. She gets along well with M'kel, but their relationship was just a one-night stand. Besides, she's here and he's the Weyrleader at Eastern. He's Trelka's weyrmate, and he's something of a traditionalist. A little like you in that regard. He wants to be faithful to Trelka. Doesn't do much for El."

"I don't want to hurt her, but I can't be unfaithful to Selana."

Cosira lifted her mug, taking another sip. "That's another thing she doesn't understand. She sees how you treat Selana, how gentle and considerate you are with her, and she doesn't understand it. She's actually a little jealous."

"She's my wife. Of course, I try to be kind to her."

"Of course. And El was in the Hold long enough to get some idea of what marriage is about. That doesn't apply in the Weyr, and I think in some ways she wishes it did. She doesn't like being treated like some kind of disposable toy."

"I don't want to lead her on, but I can't be rude to her or just physically push her away. What else can I do?"

"No. That wouldn't be you. That's one of the things that makes you so attractive to women. We don't always get the kind of respect you show us."

"Then your men need to be reeducated," he asserted vehemently. "Women are precious! They should be treasured! You don't treat them with disrespect."

The Weyrwoman stared at him for a moment, eyes wide with surprise. "Shells!" she blurted. "No wonder she's fallen in love with you!"

Now the avion's eye widened. "She what?"

"Darian, she's fallen in love with you. You're everything she had to leave behind when she came to the Weyr. You're gentle, you're kind, you're respectful. You're everything she's never had. What did you expect?"

"But," he spread his hands in a gesture of helplessness. "I didn't do anything to encourage her. If anything, I've tried to discourage her. I don't understand."

"Elysina's never had to chase a man before. She's spent most of her life fighting them off. You're a challenge and she enjoys it. You treat her the way she wants to be treated."

He reached for his klah, taking a long drink before setting the mug back down on the table." "But then, what can I do?"

"I don't think there's anything you can do. El isn't going to go away. More than that, I don't think there's anything you want to do."

The Cygnan's eyes narrowed, his head tilting to the right. The statement concerned him, sounding contrary to everything he thought he was doing. "What does that mean?"

"You should see yourself when you're around her. You light up like a glow basket. I've never seen you smile that often. If it wasn't for Scylenth, Sel would have caught on to it by now. You may not know it, but you're falling in love with her. Every other woman in the Weyr knows it."