DragonStorm Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Darian looked back at the circle. R'travil had the look of a hungry animal in his eyes. His left hand was extended toward the queenrider. She stared at him warily but enticingly. There was no warning in her eyes, only a deep sensuality and the excitement of a close chase not yet completed.

Cosira's reactions fascinated him. The heat of late morning was already uncomfortable. The added warmth of the mating frenzy must have been unbearable. She opened her tunic, loosening the belt and releasing the stays. Her face was flushed, the fire of pure lust flashing from her eyes. The avion felt his heartbeat quicken.

'Run him, now.'

'How close?'

'Whatever it takes. The closer the better. Quarelth doesn't take that queen.'

High above the rain forest of Ista, a black missile fell through the sky. Below him, he watched six dragons; a glowing golden one, followed closely by four metallic beasts, with a fifth male well removed. The closest bronze was also the largest. It was an easy target.

Astaroth flashed past the startled beast's nose, making no contact, but snapping his tail within inches of the jeweled right eye. Quarelth backwinged, losing all forward speed. Caylith shot ahead of him. Two other bronzes veered wildly to avoid colliding with the distraught beast. When the black looked over his shoulder, soaring to regain altitude, only two of the male animals remained in pursuit.

Barnath closed rapidly on the queen, followed by a now-streaking Talonth. As he'd suspected, the fifth bronze had only been waiting. The gap between Pr'sin's beast and the other two closed rapidly.

Darian saw R'travil's hand flash up to shield his eye. The rider seemed lost, confused and disoriented by his dragon's sudden elimination from the chase. The demonic leer fell from his face, replaced by disbelief and disappointment. He staggered to his left, reaching for the wall to maintain his balance.

Cosira wore an expression of surprise and regret. She'd been staring hungrily at the black-haired rider as Quarelth closed on Caylith. Now, she blinked her eyes rapidly, confounded by the sudden disruption. The change was only momentary. She looked over her shoulder, all the sensuality and desire returning. As Caylith saw Barnath closing, Cosira locked eyes with G'dened.

'Barnath is closing. Talonth won't make it. He was too far back.'

'How close is Barnath?'

'Two hundred meters, maybe a little less.'

'Can you get there first?'

'Of course. What do you want?'

'Catch her. Mount but don't mate. Frustrate her, but I don't want the Weyr.'

'Understood. You're going to pay for this.'

Astaroth folded his wings. He dove at full speed, closing on the queen at a dizzying rate. Talonth and then Barnath flashed past behind him. The great black foils snapped outward, slowing him abruptly. He was directly above the golden beast.

Caylith glanced up, bugling her defiance. She started to maneuver away, but it was far too late. Dropping to her back, the Cygnan dragon fouled her wings with his forelegs. As her speed dropped, his wings accepted her weight. She felt his powerful tail wrap around the base of her own, lifting it high over his back.

Cosira screamed, spinning on Darian. She flung herself at him, clawing at his clothing with her hands. Darian pulled the tunic over her shoulders. Aiming from the corner of one eye, he threw the shirt, watching it land at the Weyrleader's feet.

The remaining bronzeriders stared at him dejectedly, aware that their beasts had been outflown. With one exception, they headed out of the sleeping chamber. Only G'dened remained, stunned to have lost his queen and his weyrmate, immobilized by what he was watching.

The Weyrwoman loosened Darian's belt. She pulled it free with a strength far beyond anything he would have expected. Her arms slid up his back and under his wings, pulling the muscular body tight against hers. He bent his head to meet hers, crushing her lips with a kiss. The heat in the chamber was oppressive. When she tried to remove his vest, he cooperated.

'I have her,' Astaroth called. 'What do you want me to do?'

Darian heard the question. 'Hold her just a minute longer. Don't couple.'

She struggled to remove the rest of her clothing, screeching in frustration as the avion refused her and the black dragon continued to deny her lustful queen.

Darian was aware of his rising temperature, of the intricate meshing of their heartbeats.

'Are you alright? What do I do now?' the black repeated.

He was pushing Cosira toward her bed, receiving no resistance. They brushed past the still immobile bronzerider. He stared at them in disbelief.

'What do I do?'

Darian's thoughts snapped savagely. He forced Cosira back and down, dropping her riding pants in the same motion. He slid on top of her. 'One more minute.'

Cosira was moaning with pure lust. She waited for the momentary pain that would tell her the flight had been successful. It never came.

Motion to his left distracted the avion. He turned his head, watching G'dened bend down to retrieve the shirt at his feet. The bronzerider stared at it despondently, then at his weyrmate. Cosira saw nothing. Her hand reached up, pulling Darian's head back to hers. G'dened closed his eyes.

'Turn her loose,' the avion commanded.

'Got it.'

Darian knew the bronzerider had turned away, starting for the chamber entrance. He felt a demonic pleasure as he rolled off Cosira, listening to her outraged scream. "Hey, G'dened," he called.

The Weyrleader turned, bewildered by the scene before him. He knew that Astaroth had caught Caylith. Why was the avion moving away from her?

"She's all yours," the Cygnan grinned, a vicious, victorious sneer of utter contempt.

Cosira shrieked her frustration, lunging toward Darian. He caught her and spun her into the Weyrleader's arms.

Far to the north, a furious black dragon released his golden prey. His mind reached out for a still trailing bronze. Barnath needed no encouragement. The moment his mate fell free, he swooped. As frustrated as her rider, Caylith had no further interest in flying. She charged the bronze, spinning in front of him just before they collided. The pair coupled immediately.

G'dened was completely overcome by his dragon's surge of passion. He drove her backward to the bed. Cosira's reaction was equally violent, equally passionate. There was no affection between them. The coupled like angry beasts.

Darian watched for a moment, the sadistic grin still on his face. Then he dressed and returned to his weyr

Several hours later, Scylenth returned to the weyr. Even as she glided toward the ledge, she advised her rider that something was wrong in the sleeping chamber. Selana found the avion prostrate, breathing strangely.

She checked his pulse, then his temperature. Quickly, she retrieved a glass of fruit juice. "Drink all of this," she told him, pushing the sweat-streaked hair back from his forehead. "Really, love, you look terrible. Where have you been?"

He reached for the juice. She helped lift it to his lips. Slowly, carefully, he drained every drop.

Selana lowered his head to the cot, running her fingers down his cheek. "Rest, love. Get your strength back. I'll get you more juice."

She walked to the table, refilling the cup. Returning, she sat beside him. Her tender smile made his stomach tighten, the loving gaze painful after what he'd nearly done with Cosira. His mind raced, reviewing the shattered images of a lunatic morning. He'd taught someone a lesson, but he wasn't sure the lesson was worth the cost.

Selana tipped the cup to his lips, watching carefully as he drained the second cup of juice. A quizzical look crossed her face, as though a sudden thought had occurred to her. She smiled, tracing the line of his mouth with a finger. "Do you know who won the mating flight?"

"Barnath," he replied weakly. His eyes closed. A slight lifting of the mattress told him Selana was moving away. He heard her quietly comment, "Good." Before he could fall asleep, another mind intruded into his.

'Are you alright?'

'Yes.'

'You've stressed your heart badly. Stay where you are.'

'I didn't know you cared,' Darian chuckled soundlessly.

'I don't,' came the sharp reply. 'I just want you healthy when I flame your stupid ass.'

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ista flew Thread the next day, but without its Weyrleaders. Barnath and Caylith were in no condition to fly, much less fight. G'dened and Cosira were no better, although the mating flight had eased the tension between them.

B'dor led the Weyr, with Remara leading the queens' wing. With Caylith out of action and Scylenth still too young to fight, Darian gave up his usual sweep position, moving to the right pivot. With his addition, the wing maintained its fighting minimum of three.

The day started with a mild surprise. Since their arrival from Eastern, the Cygnan and his black dragon had continued to ride the Weyrleader's bronze while traveling between, apart from unusual circumstances. The tactic of meeting airborne, then settling into place for the transfer had been continued.

This morning, Astaroth decided to do things differently. He met Darian in the Weyrbowl, telling his teamleader to climb aboard. As the wings formed for the jump to southern Nerat, Astaroth flew not to Barnath but to Valkryth. The queen craned her sinuous neck, bringing her head around until she touched muzzles with the black. Elysina turned, giving a grin and a wave to Darian. The order came and they transferred between.

It was an unremarkable Fall, average in all respects. Four hours after it started, it was over. No major injuries had been suffered, just the normal assortment of scorings and other minor bumps and bruises. Tired and sweat-soaked, they returned to Ista. It took less than thirty minutes to tend to the injuries requiring treatment.

Darian headed out of the Weyr. He had no desire to perform his usual aerial antics. The sound of the roaring waterfall invited him. Folding his wings, he dove into the warm water. Firestone, smoke and seared Thread had left their stench in his hair and fur. He scrubbed at the tawny down, cleaning away the pungent odors. Finally satisfied, he swam to the side of the lake, sprawling contentedly on the warm sand. The afternoon sun drained what energy he had left.

Frenetic splashing woke him. Initially, he didn't want to move until he identified the source of the noise. The pounding slaps were far too enthusiastic to be caused by humans. It was soon apparent that one or more dragons were frolicking in the lake. Having satisfied himself about the insistent plopping, he still didn't want to move. The fingers kneading the muscles of his neck and back felt too good to interrupt. He lifted his wings, fully exposing his back. His appreciation sounded in a low, trilling whistle.

The massage moved down his spine, wandering from side to side, then progressing to his hips and the back of his thighs. A shuddering sigh escaped as he pillowed his head on his forearms. "Thanks, Sel," he said. "That feels great." The rippling giggle that answered opened his eyes. He rolled to his back.

"Wrong again." Grinning down at him, the kneeling rider lifted her hands to the base of his throat. Her probing fingers resumed their magical journey, working his arms, shoulders and chest. She exerted an endless variety of pressures, from a deep, stimulating squeeze to a gliding, featherlight caress.

Darian thought of reaching for his riding clothes. At the very least the trousers seemed appropriate. Any motion that might disturb the exquisite touch was out of the question. He decided she'd already seen anything she wanted to, so he didn't move.

His own eyes were wandering. The queenrider was fully dressed but it made little difference. In the afternoon heat, her light shirt was glued to her skin by a thin layer of perspiration. Her delightful figure was obvious. The avion tried to turn away, succeeding only in wetting his lips hungrily.

Her eyes followed the progress of her hands. Gently rubbing across his abdomen, they continued toward the top of his legs. Just before they reached his thigh, he caught them in his own hands. She turned with his gentle pull. He peered at her patiently, waiting for her eyes to meet his.

"Well?" he asked.

An expectant smile touched her. "I'm not disappointed," she admitted. She leaned down, preparing to kiss him.

Darian turned his head, feeling her lips caress his cheek.

She eased up, confused and disappointed. "Did I do something wrong?" she asked quietly.

The avion turned back to her. "Nothing," he said, shaking his head. The woman's smile faded, replaced by a frankly puzzled look. He saw a faint indication of distress in her eyes. "Elysina, I can't do this. You're the most beautiful female I've ever met, and I'm very attracted to you. But I'm married. I can't do this to my wife, or to myself. Can't you understand that?"

"Can't do what to your wife? I'm not trying to steal you."

"I couldn't face Sel if I give in to you. I couldn't face myself."

The queenrider sighed. Nodding, she took her hands from his. The disappointment in her became more apparent. She shifted into a sitting position beside him, staring out at the lake. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bother you. I thought you enjoyed being together. I do."

The Cygnan pulled his legs around, easing to his side. He propped his head, right elbow planted in the sand. His left hand eased out. A single finger traced the back of her arm. He pulled it back as a shudder rippled through her. "I do enjoy being with you," he explained. "Your friendship is important to me. I just can't handle an affair. Avions are monogamous by instinct. We mate for life. It's not in my nature to want any other female."

Elysina watched her queen splash joyfully in the warm lake. Valkryth was having a wonderful time. The black dragon floating beside her seemed content as well. She pursed her lips, glancing back at her companion. "You're not all avion. There's a lot of human blood in you."

The Cygnan grimaced. "Don't remind me." He looked out at the lake. The potential significance of the draconic playmates didn't evade Darian. "They really do like each other, don't they?"

"Yes, they do. Valkryth thinks very highly of him. She's as fond of him as she is of Talonth, maybe more."

The avion frowned. How could he explain to the queenrider why he felt the way he did? He couldn't explain Astaroth's attachment to Valkryth. He didn't understand that himself. He was increasingly aware of how little he understood about anything.

"Darian, will he fly her?"

"I don't know. It's possible."

The raven-haired girl turned her head. Her normally flashing eyes were dark with uncertainty. "I thought you liked me. I can't be much more obvious. What else do you want me to do?"

"I don't want you to do anything. I do like you, El. I like you too much. I just can't betray Sel this way."

"I don't see what our being together has to do with Selana," she admitted, "but I'll respect your feelings. I can't say that for Valkryth."

Darian gazed at her. After yesterday's experience, he had a better idea of what she meant. He hadn't realized how strong the combination of Astaroth's mindlink and a dragon-roused queenrider would be. If the black became fully and aggressively involved, it might be too much for him to resist. "If it happens, we'll deal with it then. I know you can't prevent it. Maybe I can't either. I don't know."

'Darian,' a powerful thought advised him, 'you're not happy. This isn't helping you any. Take her. It will relax you.'

'Astaroth! I can't do that!'

'Alright, but you're going to regret it. This can't end the way you want it to.'

"If it happens," she continued, an impish smile spreading across her face, "I won't want to prevent it. And you'll never forget it. That's a promise."

The avion chuckled. "That's what I'm afraid of." He placed a finger on her cheek, running it to the corner of her mouth.

She turned her head slightly, snapping her teeth in an exaggerated bite. "Get out of here, blackrider, while I'm still behaving myself."

Darian rose and dressed. Without another word he flew off. As he approached the weyr, however, he was looking back under his wing.

Only now did he notice how long he'd been gone. The sun sat low in the sky. He might even have missed the evening meal. That didn't concern him. A little wild game would taste good. Perhaps Mareka and Astaroth would join him. She knew how to fish, but he wasn't sure how developed her hunting skills were. It was time for her to learn.

Gliding toward Scylenth's ledge, he glanced at the Weyrleader's quarters. Caylith and Barnath were asleep, stretched out in the late day warmth. Yesterday had been a rousing success for them.

Further up the face of the volcano, a solitary rider stared at him from a weyr ledge. Darian changed directions, easing upward to join the man. Folded arms and a cynical pout awaited his landing.

"You really pulled a cute one, didn't you?"

The Cygnan inclined his head, not grasping the comment. "Huh? How so?"

"We've got some confused bronzeriders around here. R'travil's mad enough to chew firestone. Seems he figured out it was Astaroth who flew Quarelth off. Don't look so surprised. There aren't many secrets in a Weyr. Word gets around fast. What I can't figure is how Barnath beat Astaroth."

Darian shrugged. "He's fast, he's good. He outflew him."

"Yeah, right. I wouldn't give you a thirty-second for that line. This is me, T'marek, remember? Your favorite dragonman, friend and confidante. And the only idiot on the planet fool enough to trust you. Do you really expect me to believe that?"

The Cygnan sighed. "When Astaroth flew Quarelth off, his speed took him below and to the East of the flight. By the time he got back, Barnath had claimed the Queen. He wasn't fast enough to do both."

The brownrider pursed his lips. "Okay, that I'll buy. That should be a lesson to you."

"Oh? How's that?"

"If you'd been less interested in stopping Quarelth, you'd be Weyrleader right now. That's why you don't interfere in a mating flight. It never works out the way you want."

A flurry of wings saved the avion from having to answer. Screeching happily, Mareka flew from the inner weyr to her father, hovering at his shoulder. He reached out and pulled her in. "Hi, Riki, how's my girl?"

"Hi, dad! I'm fine." She giggled wildly as he tickled her. Squirming and wriggling ineffectively, she slapped playfully at the restraining arm. Her mouth opened wide to release a delighted squeal.

"Well!" the avion exclaimed, eyes widening. "What have we here?" He waited for his daughter to calm a bit, then lifted her upper lip.

T'marek stepped closer to join the examination. He turned a wide grin on the Cygnan. "Whaddya know? Fangs! She's a full-fledged avion."

Not just yet, Darian thought, but she's getting there. Another cycle or two and we'll know for sure. "Now that you've got some real teeth," he teased, "how would you like to go hunting tonight? Maybe we can get Astaroth to go with us."

"Azrod? Yeah! Hunt weirdies?"

He chuckled at the childish pronunciations. The little girl was a genuine delight to him. He regretted and resented having been forced to foster her. Even though he was strongly attached to T'marek and Tryliri, the child belonged with her own mother and father. So did her brother. Scylenth had not only taken his wife from him but his children as well. "No, Riki, they're called wherries. If that's what you want, we'll try to catch a few."

"A few?" the brownrider questioned. "One of those things could feed six of us."

"Us, yes. Astaroth can eat half a dozen himself."

"Oh, yeah. Forgot. Seradan's inside with Tryl. Want to visit?"