Dream Lover

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Her mom ignored her and kept on trucking.

"So if this Prince Charming fellow is someone you might love and even more importantly, love you back, why in the world would you not see him again?"

"It's complicated, Mom," she told her knowing that wouldn't satisfy her relationship-savvy mother.

"Is he married?" she asked without judgment.

"Mom! No. Of course not," she told her.

"Is he...black or I don't know...a Muslim or something?"

Reese tried not to laugh. She knew her mother didn't have a bigoted bone in her body, but she could oftentimes be crude in the way she phrased things.

"Not that I'd care, mind you," she added.

"No. Neither of those things, either," Reese assured her.

"Then what is it, honey? Is he an ex-convict?"

Reese had to laugh at that one.

"No, Mom. He's never been in jail."

"I take it he has a job?"

"He does. He's a chef, and he made dinner for us last night, and it was absolutely amazing!"

"Then help me out here. Has he got 4-5 children from different marriages?" she asked grasping at straws trying to make sense of it all.

Reese looked down and shook her head.

"He's...he's younger than me."

"Oh. I...I see. Well, I had no idea just how terrible it was, but now I understand," he mom said. She rarely ever used sarcasm, but she was definitely being sarcastic.

"Okay, Miss Smarty Pants," Reese said. "If I tell you just how much younger he is, it'll make sense to you. I'm just not sure I want to tell you."

"It's not someone you used to babysit is it?" she asked thinking she was being funny.

"No, but...I could have," her daughter admitted.

"Okay, that helps," her mom said truthfully. "But he's a good cook with a good job and you enjoy being around him, right?"

"He is and I do," she said. "He's probably the nicest guy I've ever known. Except for Daddy, of course."

Her mom smiled then said, "So who cares how old he is if he makes you happy?"

"Everyone?" Reese said with a kind of resignation in her voice.

"Honey? When I was your age, if a white girl was with a black man, it caused all kinds of stares and even some comments in many parts of the country. Now no one cares. I know I wouldn't care if you loved someone from a different race, and I don't care how old someone is, either, Reese. Besides, age is no guarantee you'll be happy with that person or even of their level of wisdom and maturity."

"I agree about the race thing, and when it comes to wisdom I also agree."

She smiled then added, "Especially in your case, Mom. But I'm not talking about a few years where Darin is concerned."

"Darin. That's not a name you hear too often these days," her mom said. "Listen, you don't have to be afraid, Reese. Just follow your heart. Only this time, use your head, too."

"I'm trying to, Mom, and it's my head telling me this could never work."

"I'm not talking about age here, Reese. I'm referring to character, honey. Use your heart to evaluate how you feel about him and your head to determine if he has real character. If he does, and if he also has good values, then age is a moot point."

"Don't you mean 'mute', Mom?" she offered without really thinking.

"Only if you want me to be quiet, sweetheart," she said knowing her daughter had always gotten those two words confused.

Reese was too pre-occupied trying to examine her heart and think with her head to pay attention to the grammar lesson and once again missed it completely.

When her daughter didn't answer, her mother asked, "Just how old is this younger man of yours?"

"You really don't want to know, Mom," she replied.

"Okay. Fair enough. Then why don't you ask him to come over for dinner so I can meet him?" she suggested.

"Because I'd be afraid you might ask me to burp him or something after dinner, and I'd die of embarrassment," Reese told her.

Bridgett smile and said, "I give you my word I'll do no such thing. But you have to give me your word you won't let what sounds like the opportunity of a lifetime to pass you by."

Reese had a distant look in her eyes as she repeated the word.

"Opportunity. How ironic you should use that very word."

"It just seemed appropriate, honey," her mom said having no idea Darin had talked about life presenting us with opportunities here and there.

"If dinner is too much, you just ask him to have a drink with us," her mom politely suggested. "He is old enough to drink, isn't she?"

Bridgett thought her question was rhetorical and had no idea how close she was to it being a serious inquiry.

"Yes," Reese said. "But...just barely."

"Oh. Oh, my," Bridgett said. "Well, even so, I still stand by everything I just said. So why don't you invite him to stop by?"

*****

"Darrin? I need to talk to you," the general manager said as soon as he came in the following day.

"Sure. What's up, Paul?" he asked as he grabbed his white coat.

"Sit down, please," the older man said.

Darin hung the coat back up and did as he was told.

The GM tapped his computer several times then spun the monitor around so Darin could see it.

"So you decided to use the restaurant for your own private affairs?" he asked.

"I um...I paid for everything, Paul," he told him. "The food, the wine...everything."

"And that's the only reason I'm not firing you on the spot," the GM told him. "But I am suspending you for a week without pay. And it goes without saying this will never happen again. Am I clear?"

"Yes. Very," Darin told him. "And I sincerely apologize. I just wanted to make a good impression, but I didn't use good judgment."

"She's a very beautiful woman, Darin," he said. "It's none of my business, but isn't she, well...a lot older than you?"

"She is," he replied. "But I've never met anyone like her before and after last night I'm thinking I may just be in love with her."

"After one date? Isn't that a little premature?"

"Normally I'd agree, Paul, but not this time. I mean, I wouldn't go blurting that out the next time I'm with her, but yeah, I think that's how I'm feeling about her."

"Then perhaps she was worth a week's pay," he said with a smile. "Listen, the owner wanted me to fire you, but I told him how valuable you are and how good a job you do. So worth it or not, just be careful for a while around here, okay?"

"Sure. Will do, and thanks for going to bat for me," Darin told him sincerely.

The GM smiled then said, "No problem. I have to admit I'd have probably done the same thing for a woman that attractive when I was your age."

"She is beautiful, but she's even more beautiful inside, and that's why I've got it so bad for her."

"Okay, well, good luck and I'll see you in a week. If I can talk the owner into reducing your 'sentence' I'll give you a call. I still don't know how we're going to get by with just one chef, but that's not my call."

Darin walked out and took a deep breath. The only good news was he'd saved quite a bit of money living at home and even after paying his parents back for culinary school he had close to fifteen grand in the bank. He made decent money, and other than his car or what few clothes he bought, he had no real expenses, so nearly everything he made got saved.

"Guess I won't go hungry this week," he said to himself before chuckling at the foolishness of the statement. He was indeed a chef, but his mother still did nearly all of the cooking for him so no, he most definitely wouldn't go hungry—money or no money.

More than anything he wanted to see Reese but knew going to the place she worked again wasn't a good idea. Besides, he really didn't want to have to tell her he'd nearly been fired for taking her to the place where he still worked—by the skin of his teeth.

With nothing in particular to do and time on his hands, Darin decided to spend the day not only thinking about Reese but actually doing something he was reasonably sure she'd appreciate.

By dinnertime, he had amassed a good amount of information and couldn't wait to talk to her again.

Later that evening he finally called her having had to force himself not to all day long.

"Hello?" he heard her sweet voice say.

"Hi," he said happy to hear her voice.

"Hi," she back obviously just as happy. "How was your day?"

"Um...productive," he told her truthfully. "How about yours?"

"Well, I learned how to make a new kind of lemon tart so...it was nice."

"I uh, I thought about you all day," he told her.

"Yeah. Me, too," she told him. "My mom and I had quite a talk about our...date last night."

"Oh. Is that a good thing or should I be concerned?" he asked trying to sound positive.

"It's funny how other people can help provide perspective. My mom is probably the smartest person I know. She taught school for 42 years and she's also my best friend."

Darin didn't respond right away so Reese said, "She called you Prince Charming."

"Me?" he said very surprised by the comment.

"Uh-huh. She asked me to invite you to have dinner or drinks with us sometime so...would you maybe like to..."

"I'd love to," he said eagerly before she could finish.

"Is tonight too early?" she asked her voice hopeful.

"Not at all. In fact, I have a few things I'd like to discuss with you so tonight would be perfect."

"Let's see. It's 7:00 right now. Are you busy?" she asked.

"No, not unless thinking about you nonstop qualifies as being busy," he told her not caring how sappy it sounded.

"You've kind of been on my mind all day, too, Darin," she told him. "So...I'll see you soon?"

"I'll be there in about 15-20 minutes, if that's okay."

"It's very okay," she said.

"Great. I'm on my way," he told her.

"Darin?" she said.

"Yes?"

"I can't wait to see you."

"Same here, Reese," he said quietly. "Bye."

He hung up and realized he was on the verge of 'sportin' wood' and laughed out loud as he got ready.

The weather was still cold as it always was most of the year, so his morning shower was still more than adequate. He threw on a fresh shirt and headed north to Renton.

Reese did the same thing quickly slipping out of her work uniform and throwing on an off-white cashmere sweater and a pair of black pants. She undid her ponytail, shook her hair out, then brushed it until it was smooth and silky then touched up her makeup before going downstairs.

"Mom? Sorry for the short notice, but we're going to be having a guest in a few minutes."

"Oh! Would this be Prince Charming by any chance?" she teased.

"It would," Reese said. "And it's just drinks so no stress, okay?"

"Me? Stress? Hah! My life is so bland I wouldn't mind a little stress. Or even a little excitement. Is he handsome?"

Reese gave her they eye, and said, "Yes. He's very good looking."

She turned left then right then asked, "Does this look okay?"

"You look amazing, honey," her mom told her truthfully.

Reese was standing by the door and before Darin could ring the doorbell she opened it for him.

"Hi! Come in!" she said happily.

Darin stepped inside and again he just stared.

"Wow. You look...amazing!" he told her.

"Thank you," she said enjoying the compliment.

He stood there looking at her for a moment then said, "I can't see you and not kiss you."

"I was beginning to wonder if you wanted to," she told him as he moved toward her.

"I always want to," he said before he kissed her softly.

"Wow back atcha," she said when it ended. "Come on. I want you to meet my mom, Bridgett."

She went to reach for his hand, felt her concerns flare up briefly and pulled away, then remembered what her mom had told her.

She slipped her hand in his and walked him to the living room where a very petite woman was sitting in a recliner.

"Mom? This is Darin Reese and no, I'm not kidding," she said. "Darin, this is my mom and my best friend in the whole world, Bridgett Evans."

"Good evening, Mrs. Evans," he said politely.

"Oh, well good evening to you, too, Darin."

She smiled and as she kept looking at him said to her daughter, "Now I see what all the fuss is about."

"Mom!" she said pretending to be embarrassed.

"Well, he is very handsome, Reese. I was just agreeing with you."

"Thank you, ma'am. And it's obvious where Reese gets her beauty from."

Bridgett scoffed and said, "It's not obvious anymore, but that was very kind of you to say."

"What can I get everyone to drink?" Reese asked now that the ice had been broken.

"Oh, I'll take a brandy, dear," her mother said immediately. "And make it a stiff one, okay?"

"Darin?"

"If you have beer that'd be fine," he said.

"Sorry, just girls in this house. We have wine, brandy, and maybe a little vodka left."

"I'll have a vodka on the rocks, please."

"Coming right up," she said cheerfully.

"Sit down, Darin!" Bridgett told him wanting him to feel at home as she tried not to stare.

He sat across from her on the sofa and said, "You have a very nice house."

"Oh, well, just as with me, that's no longer true, but again, thank you. Since my husband passed away, this place needs a whole lot of work."

She smiled then leaned toward and said, "Just like me!"

Darin laughed politely before Bridgett said, "You've made quite the impression on my daughter."

"Well, the feeling is mutual to be sure," he told her.

"She's made a couple of bad choices in the past, but I have a feeling that tells me she may be on to something good this time."

"Is my mother telling stories about me already?" Reese asked as she came back with the drinks.

"No, she's been great," Darin said knowing they hadn't really even talked.

"We need to toast," Bridgett said. "How about to Prince Charming?"

"Motherrrr!" Reese said on the verge of exasperation already.

"Well, he is very handsome," she repeated with a smile.

"How about to...dream lovers?" Reese said with a smile of her own.

"I'll drink to that," Darin said.

"Dream Lover. Oh, my. That was the theme of my prom my senior year," Bridgett said. "That was the first song I ever danced to with your father."

"Mom, you never told me that before," Reese said.

"It just never came up until now. It was 1959 and Bobby Darin was all the rage. I haven't thought about that in years," she said reflecting back on her past.

"To dream lovers!" Bridgett said suddenly not sure what the reference meant but relishing in the memory of her first-ever slow dance with a boy who ended up becoming her husband three years later after he did his two years in the Army after being drafted in 1960.

Reese sat next to Darin and for the next half hour they chatted about the basics as they got better acquainted. Bridgett asked for a second brandy then excused herself when Reese went to get it. She made her way across the house then came back holding something very thin.

"What's that, Mom?" Reese asked as she handed her mom her drink.

"You know what this is. It's a 45, honey. Go ahead. Put it on the record player for me."

"Oh, wow. I haven't used that thing in years," she said.

"I've never seen one," Darin said as he stood up to watch.

Reese gave him one of those looks and he said, "What? CD players are old technology to me. I really never have seen a record player except on TV."

"Opportunities, dear," her mother said when she saw her daughter's look.

"Oh, my goodness. It's Dream Lover," she said flipping the little record over after removing the dust jacket.

"I've had that since just before the prom. It cost me a dollar back when a dollar was with a dollar," her mother said. "Put it on."

Reese sat it on the turntable, selected 45rpm, then turned it on. She set the needle down and after a couple of scratches the room was filled with beautiful sounds.

"Be right back," he said to Reese.

He walked over to Bridgett, held out his hand and said, "My I have the honor of this dance?"

Her face lit up like Reese hadn't seen in years.

"Why yes you may," she said letting him help her up.

"And no cutting in," she said to Reese with mock seriousness.

Reese held up her hands and said, "Who me?" then smiled as she watched her handsome young...boyfriend?...slowly whirl her mom around the hardwood floor.

For the next three minutes, Bridgett was 18 again and back in the gymnasium of her high school in the arms of the most handsome boy in school.

Bridgett was still smiling when Darin thanked her for the dance.

"No, thank you," she said the memories just as real to her as the day she made them. "After that, it's all gonna be downhill for me so I think I'll go upstairs and get ready for bed. You two have a nice time and it was very pleasant meeting you, Darin."

"You too, Mrs. Evans," he told her.

She smiled then kissed him on the cheek. As she did, she whispered loudly, "This one's a keeper!" before excusing herself for the night.

"Your mom's awesome," he told Reese after Bridgett left the room.

"She really is, isn't she?" she agreed.

He turned toward her and said, "Would you mind if we played that one more time?"

"I think I could put up with it a third time in 24 hours," she said sweetly.

This time he held Reese close to him as they danced.

"This is really nice," she said as they danced cheek to cheek.

"Yeah, I could get used to this," he told her quietly.

She pulled her head back and smiled at him, and the way she looked at his lips told him what she wanted without saying a word.

Darin kissed her softly and slowly as they danced. The kiss grew in intensity and lasted the rest of the song. Tongues had touched for the first time and did so many more times during those brief moments.

As the song ended again, Reese looked up into his eyes and said, "My handsome, young dream lover."

The record began making the sound a 45 made when the arm was down and the song was over.

"I guess I should get that," Reese said her arms still around his neck.

"I suppose so," Darin said.

She turned it off then said, "Did you want another drink?"

"No, thanks. But I did want to talk to you," he told her.

"I'd like that," she said taking him back to the couch. "So...what would you like to talk about?" she asked as she smiled at him.

"Your dream," he told her.

"The food truck?" she asked getting more serious.

"Uh-huh. I did a ton of research today and I think this might be doable."

"Wait a minute. You mean 'last night', right? Weren't you at work all day?"

"Oh. That. Um, well, not exactly," he said kind of sheepishly.

He explained what happened and Reese felt horrible.

"Why? It's not your fault," he assured her before sharing what his GM said to him about it being worth it.

"Was it?" she asked.

He smiled at her and said, "Oh, yeah. It was so worth it," before kissing her again.

"I...I love how I feel when I'm with you," she told him quietly, very aware that her heart was beating fast.

"Yeah. Same here," he said back to her.

They sat there just looking at one another for several moments before Darin said, "Well, anyway, I have a whole bunch of information. I don't know how much research you've done so stop me if you already know this."

He told her how much a new food truck cost, how much a used one went for depending on age and capability, etc. Then he explained as much as he knew about getting started with the city and anything else he remembered either from school or looking online.

It was around 10 o'clock when Darin stopped talking and he was waiting for a whole lot more feedback than he'd been getting.

"Aren't you excited about this?" he asked as he took her hand.

"Of course I am," she told him honestly.

"You haven't said much. Am I missing something?"

She moved closer and put his arm around her shoulder.

"Remember the night you met me in front of the restaurant?"

"Um... yeah. It was only the most important event in my life," he said with a smile.