Dream Weaver Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh my God! Yes!" Melina cried out as Jack's nasty words brought her over the edge. I saw her body shiver for a moment and Jack gasped as her climaxing cunt clutched his cock hard.

As they finished their climaxes, Jack's half hard meat finally fell out of Melina's pussy, coated with the combined juices. I stopped the iPhone, put it in my pocket, and quietly left.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Getting out of the elevator at the ground floor, I simply walked by the guard. As he peered at me, I stopped.

"Hi, my name is Don." I said. "Let me ask you: are you employed by a company, or the building's owners?"

The middle-aged guard introduced himself, then said "I work for a private security firm that's contracted by the developers."


"Are they hiring?" I asked. "My uncle is looking for work. He's a former police officer."

"Tell you what," said the man, looking around his desk, then finding what he was looking for, "here's a card. Have your uncle contact them." I took the card.

"Thanks." I said. "By the way, what were all those car horns about?"

"Oh, some pranksters, probably some kids, set off the car alarms." said the guard. "Happens all the time. Kids got no respect these days." I heartily agreed with him, then exited the building.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When I got home, I was in for another total shock. The house was virtually empty!

All of the furniture in the greatroom was gone, as was the dining room table and chairs. Most of the silverware was also taken from the kitchen, though some of the appliances such as the crock-pot and toaster remained.

Going upstairs, I saw that all of Melina's clothes were gone, and so were most of mine, with only one suit, one belt, and one pair of shoes remaining in the closet. Melina's desk in her sitting room was gone, as was the dresser from the master bedroom. The other bedroom was also cleaned out. My desk in the study room remained, but that room was totally trashed, papers strewn everywhere.

I first called the Midtown Police, then called Melina. "Melina, you need to come home. The house has been robbed."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I'm Detective Evans, and this is Detective Soltis." said the attractive blonde woman at the front door. I let them in, introducing myself and then my wife.

"So what happened?" asked Detective Evans.

"I just got back from my parents' funeral." I said, "and I found the house trashed and empty."

"Ma'am," said Detective Evans, "were you with your husband?"

"No." said Melina. "He was already up there, and I have a new job, so I didn't go up for the funeral."

"Detective Soltis," said Detective Evans, "why don't you interview Mr. Troy in his study, see what papers the thieves might have wanted to take, and I'll talk to Mrs. Troy upstairs." I knew this was so they could interview us separately.

I told Soltis of my trip to Apple Grove that had lasted for some days, then returning to find the burglary. He questioned me at length on what had been taken, asking specifically if any guns or computers were missing. A Crime Lab team was going through the house, looking for fingerprints and any other clues. They seemed halfhearted in their efforts, I observed.

It was nearly an hour later when Detective Evans came down the stairs with Melina. "Mr. and Mrs. Troy," she said, "you should not stay here tonight."

"We'll make arrangements." Melina said simply and Detective Evans nodded. She handed Melina her card, and I saw the name 'Molly Evans' on it. My wife then said "Don, we need to talk."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We got into Melina's car, with her behind the wheel, but we did not go anywhere. I knew what was coming.

"Don," Melina said, "I was going to tell you this when you got back, which was tonight of course. It's unfortunate that this robbery happened, but I need to say it anyway."

She paused for a breath, then said "I haven't been here at the house since you left last weekend. I've been staying with Jack. I'm leaving you, and I'm filing for divorce."

"I'm not surprised." I said.

"My lawyer will be in touch with you soon." Melina said. "I want the house. Jack will take care of the back payments."

"You're not getting the house." I said. "And you're going down with me on the bankruptcy."

"Oh, you think you can hire a lawyer that can beat Jack's lawyers?" Melina said, her voice almost a snarl.

I took out my iPhone and showed her the recently taken photographs. "Any lawyer will know what to do with these pictures." I said. Melina's eyes widened, then she reeled as she realized what I had.

"Whatever." she finally said. "Get out of the car." I did so, and she backed out and drove away... more like screeched away, burning rubber. That got Detective Evans coming out front to see what was going on.

"What happened?" she asked me.

"She wants a divorce." I said, then showed her the pics. "She didn't realize I had these, and I think she's a bit ticked off. By the way, I don't know what she told you, but I don't think she's been here the last few days, so the burglary might not have happened today."

Molly nodded. "Yes, she did tell me that. Mr. Troy, do you think your wife just took everything out of the house while you were gone?"

"I'm sure she would've told you if she had, since she can't be charged with stealing her own things." I said. "So unless she told you she did, it probably was a burglary."

"That's true, and logical." Molly said.

"Got any openings on your Police Force?" I asked. "I was a Army MP, and I'm looking for a job."

"Unfortunately, no." Molly said. "We've got a hiring freeze. Our Internal Affairs busted some cops and politicians on the take, and the politicians cut our funding..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Because I'd packed for my trip, I had some clothes behind the few that were left. I took what little I had left, and went to my place of business, being unable to really afford a hotel. I was in the back office, when I thought about something.

I went through my suit, the remaining shirt, the belt, and the shoes. One of the heels of the shoes was loose; the glue to rebind it had not set yet. I pulled the sections apart... and found an electronic device inside. It was a tracking device. I found another one secreted in the leather of the belt, and a very thin device inside the lining of my suit.

What the hell? I thought to myself. This is worse than that movie 'Enemy of the State'. What the hell have I done to deserve this?

I let those thoughts go. I was exhausted. I lay down on the sofa and fell asleep.

Part 7 - Second Chances

Sunday, September 24th. I was driving back up to the University Town. Captain Angela Harlan had called me, said I'd made the second round, and wanted me to come back up for another round of interviews. Of course I agreed, and was told to be at Police Headquarters at 9:00am Monday morning.

To my surprise, Cy Hart had come to see me on Thursday, the 20th, and offered to handle my divorce and my bankruptcy pro bono. He cited my parents' deaths as the reason, but I had a nagging idea that there was something else behind his generosity. But I did not look this gift horse in the mouth. I gave him copies of the photos and video I'd taken of Jack fucking Melina, and told him I wanted to make sure she didn't escape being part of the bankruptcy.

I checked into the University Hotel. As I sat on the little porch outside, looking over the School and the Town, I thought about my future. I was at rock-bottom, but it was also a chance to start fresh, a completely new life. It would have to be what I made it to be.

I realized that I was tired, very tired. I felt an exhaustion like I'd rarely felt before. I trudged to bed...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted a lovely redhead reporterette on the television as I got ready on the morning of Monday, September 25th. "Channel Two News has learned that the case of the car crash that killed two Town & County Police Officers will be re-opened!"

That got my attention, and I listened carefully as the lovely redhead mentioned Todd's name, then said "The family requested a re-examination of the autopsy reports, citing some discrepancies. The TCPD agreed to look into the case, and found several problems with the assertion that the young man whose car ran into the Police cruiser was intoxicated. While the fault in the case still resides with that driver, the charge of vehicular homicide is likely to be dropped, and this could actually be a tragic accident."

Bettina continued: "State Bureau of Investigation Director Jack Lewis has ordered an investigation of the TCPD Crime Lab, and Police Chief Harold Malone has opened an investigation of Coroner Steven Lester Haines in connection with the discrepancies of the autopsy report. Coroner Haines said this to Channel Two News. Roll tape."

The tape showed the Coroner saying "I stand the autopsy report and the Coroner's Inquest's findings. That boy was drunk, and he murdered two Police Officers, including the Police Chief."

The tape then showed Chief Malone and District Attorney Gil Krasney. Krasney said "We'll do what it takes to get to the truth. It won't bring our Officers back, but it might give the family of the young man some peace to know he wasn't driving drunk when the crash happened."

Chief Malone said "I'm very disturbed by Coroner Haines's handling of that case. This should never have happened. It besmirches the memory of Chief Griswold, and brings shame upon the Coroner's Office."

Hmmm, now what is behind all that? I wondered to myself. Well, maybe I'll learn more later...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Welcome back, Mr. Troy." said Patrolman Pete Feeley as he met me at the Duty Desk. "I'm glad you made it through to the next round."

"Thanks, me too." I said as he walked me down the hall to Captain Harlan's office. Once there, Angela Harlan greeted me enthusiastically, shaking my hand vigorously as Office Feeley withdrew.

"Hi, Don." she said. "Have a seat." As we sat down, she said "I don't know if you heard the news, but it looks like you were right about the autopsy report. It's causing a stir, but it looks like your nephew was likely not intoxicated at all during the car crash. It doesn't absolve him, but he won't go down as a murderer anymore."

"I appreciate that." I said. "And I appreciate you guys looking into it. I saw the morning news. Seems like some political issues have cropped up."

"Oh you bet." Angela said, looking happy. "And between us and the lamppost, I'm glad to see it. Too much crap going on around here for my liking. What's happening is that Coroner Haines, D.A. Krasney, and Chief Malone all have political ambitions, and likely for the same positions. Krasney wants to be on the Town Council, as does Haines. But Haines might also run for Sheriff, and that's Chief Malone's lodestone. So they're using it to take shots at each other. The silver lining is that your nephew is absolved of vehicular homicide charges."

"That's good." I said.

"Okay," Angela said in her husky voice, "this very comfortable conversation is actually a job interview. So let me ask a few new questions. First, what were you doing around that abandoned site in Coltrane County that got the Sheriff after you?"

"Oh, that." I said. "I tend to explore places, just like I was when I found that place on top of the mountain, where the cell tower is going to be built. I turned around when I saw the road ended and that place was fenced off, and the Sheriff was already on the road and pulled me over. And out of curiosity, he didn't ticket me or anything, so how did you come to know about it?"

"The Coltrane County Sheriff -and- the FBI called us about it, asking if you'd been here like you said. I told them you had. And I think I know why the FBI's involved."

Angela began: "There's a self-help group called 'The Vision', run by a Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart. Kind of an old geezer. He has seminars all over the country. I heard him talk when I was in Texas. That abandoned place was their World Headquarters. Some few years ago, the FBI started coming after Dr. Eckhart, allegedly for tax evasion, but they also claimed he stole classified information from the Federal Government and passed it to groups the Feds consider subversive. Eckhart fled to Canada, who gave him asylum, and the Feds took over the Vision's property."

Angela continued: "Detective Ross, who died in that car crash of your nephew's, had been helped through college by Dr. Eckhart, and she lived with them a while. She was really upset about that whole situation, and she was not the one we would assign to work with the FBI. She was a dual American-Canadian citizen, as well. Anyway, there are rumors that the CIA took that property and installed a secret facility under the buildings. No one ever sees cars entering or exiting, but anyone who goes down that road gets pulled over by the Sheriff, and the FBI is always right behind them."

I nodded. "That explains some things."

Angela said "I also heard that your house in Midtown was burgled."

"Yes." I said. "Just the other day. I was at my parents' funeral. They died in a house fire."

"Aw, I'm sorry to hear that." Angela said.

"Thank you." I said. "Anyway, I got back home, and the place was cleaned out."

"And your wife wasn't there? She didn't report it?" Angela asked. I realized she knew a lot more than she was letting on.

"No, I was already up near Apple Grove when my parents died, so she didn't come up. She has a new job. And then after the burglary, she tells me she wants a divorce. So I'll be coming up here free and clear, with no attachments."

"Ah," Angela said, "you're confident about getting the job. I like that."

"Even if I don't get it," I said, "I'm thinking of coming up here. It feels right, like home."

"Yeah, it's that kind of Town." Angela said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Part of 'Round 2' was meeting the people who would be my co-workers. MCD wasn't much of a problem. The only Detectives were Tanya Perlman and a young ex-Army guy named Hugh Hewitt. A nerdy-looking young man named Myron Milton was their Data Analyst. I'd met Tanya, and got along well with Hugh and Myron.

Then came Vice. And it was a disaster from the get-go.

I wondered why Captain Harlan stayed with me when I went into the Vice Room, and it became apparent: she was nothing short of my bodyguard. There was only one person in the room at the moment.

That woman, maybe slightly older than me, was staring daggers at me. She had light brown hair, a really shapely hourglass body, and great legs. She also had a frown on her face, and her eyes bespoke nothing short of hate... and pain.

"So..." she said when Angela introduced her as Detective Teresa Croyle, "... it was your nephew who drove drunk and killed our Officers. I hate drunk drivers. I hope your nephew is burning in hell, and you can too, for all I care."

I didn't flinch. "I'm sorry about the loss of your friend." I said. "But it's likely my nephew wasn't drunk when he crashed into her car."

"What friend is that?" Teresa snarled.

"Detective Cindy Ross." I said, looking her dead in the eye. I could tell we both knew I was right.

"You're full of shit." Teresa said. "Excuse me, Captain. I don't need to hear any more from this guy." With that, she walked out of the room.

"Well, that's why they call her 'Teresa Cunt'." Angela said by way of apology and explanation. "She does have a special hatred of drunk drivers, though nobody knows why."

"I can understand it." I said. "She's in pain."

"She's going to be out of a job soon." said Captain Harlan. "She's a good Detective, and Chief Malone thinks she can be really great, but she has anger management problems." I didn't know what to say.

"Okay, have a seat with Patrolman Feeley," said Angela as we entered her office suite from the hallway, "and fill out some paperwork."

As Pete and I filled out the forms for a background check and other stuff, a fairly tall man with curly brown hair entered the room. He had a manner of arrogance about him, and a sneer on his face.

"So, is this the new recruit?" he said.

"Yes, Detective Ikea." said Feeley, his face showing dislike, but also concern. I noted Feeley did not introduce me. Ikea was peering at me, studying me as if I were some sort of insect in a biology lab. He had not offered to shake hands, and neither did I.

"I don't think you have what it takes." he said at last. "What are you going to do when you have to take down a perp trying to beat your head in with a crowbar? Or is shooting at you? And how are you going to get someone to confess to their crimes?"

"I can handle myself." I said, peering straight back at him, resisting the urge to ask him if he wanted a demonstration.

"So," said Ikea, "our Chief values loyalty. To whom are you loyal? Our Chief? This Police Force?"

"To the United States Constitution." I said levelly. Ikea frowned at that.

"If you're hired here, you better figure it out." Ikea said. He turned on his heel and exited the room.

Captain Harlan came out of her office, having heard the exchange. "Well, Don, you are not making friends with our Vice Squad. Not that many people do." I didn't know what to say.

The Vice Squad's data person was a waifish but attractive woman with short, raven-black hair named Julie Newton. She seemed friendly enough to talk to, but was always peering at me skeptically. Pete Feeley had whispered to me that her nickname was 'The Abacus', and that she'd forgotten more about numbers than I would ever know.

"I ran the background checks on you, Mr. Troy." she said. "You just filed for bankruptcy?"

"Yes." I said. "I had a bad turn of events."

"That's what they all say." said Newton. "It was kind of strange.. you never ran up a credit card debt, but the credit card companies canceled your cards and flagged you as an extreme risk... before you filed for bankruptcy. That's very strange." Indeed it was, I thought to myself. What is up with that?

"I didn't know that." I said. "What else about me seems strange to you?"

"Someone else has been going through your financial records." said Julie. "And digging deep. The only time I've ever seen this before is when the Feds were pursuing someone they thought was a traitor. What's that all about?"

I dimly became aware that this progression of interviews had been planned and orchestrated, and was moving with a purpose to some end. But I didn't play the game... because I had no game to play.

"I don't know." I said. "I'm certainly not a traitor, and the FBI is welcome to investigate me and find that out for themselves. As to the digging into me, it could be identity thieves from the recent burglary of my home, someone like your Police Force checking on my background..." I let the sentence hang, indicating I was fresh out of ideas. Julie Newton nodded, though her face still registered skepticism.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Chief," I said, "I appreciate you looking into my nephew's autopsy report."

"No problem." said Malone as we sat in his office, with Captain Harlan seated next to me. "I will admit that I had my own reasons for pursuing it; that Coroner Haines is a dirty, slimy piece of crap, and if this shows he's been fucking around with crime samples, I'll run his ass out of Town on a rail." I just nodded.

Chief Malone then asked me some questions, seemingly innocuous, about my military experiences, any potential conflicts I'd had with soldiers under my command, with perps and the like. After I answered them, he dismissed Captain Harlan.

"We are..." he began, then continued, "... a fairly small Police Force here, and pretty tight-knit. The media is rabidly hostile to us. Certain groups of people are hostile to us, and politicians like to use us as punching bags, as you may have seen if you saw any reports of your nephew's autopsy situation."