Drew's Trouble with Cats and Roaches Pt. 24

Story Info
The begginings of something new, the results of old issues.
9.9k words
4.8
3k
10
1

Part 25 of the 26 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 03/01/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DrewScott
DrewScott
350 Followers

To all,

Due to the interest in this series, here is Chapter 24. My apologies for the late delivery. Life is funny and one must take the good with the bad.

For those of us with passion, dealing in the human norm of bureaucracy can be maddening. But it seems to be the norm for all human societies that evolve beyond the hunter-gatherer stage.

Us explorers, artists, and adventurers, only hope to leave an acknowledged 'smudge' on history. We do hope that 'smudge' is fantastic, no matter what it is, and looks amazing 100 years from now.

Any aliens, real or imagined, are purely a construct of my twisted and warped mind.

I thank everyone so much for reading my stories and hopefully enjoying them.

As we play in this year of 2021, please stay safe and sane.

***

They watched as Aya turned away from the center of the recording device. There was a flicker and then she turned back.

"Poppa, beware of the new Tiffany."

And the cube stopped projecting and there was silence.

Everyone at the table looked at Lord Drew waiting on his reaction.

"And that would be my daughter Aya, trying to save worlds," Drew finished and slowly got up.

"The last day or so has pushed even my limits. Give me a bit to think through all of the items we discussed and what to do, if anything about Aya," Drew sighed,

'Lord Drew my ass,' he thought and walked to the private potion of his patio near the beehive. He heard from behind him a mental muttering of 'playing with damn insects...' he assumed from Thing One since she was space born and the most vocal. She could never quite get used to small things flying, crawling, or slithering around her.

It had not taken Drew long to find the beauty and simplicity of having a huge hive of bees on his deck. DB had made a copy of his hive and sent it over as a gift. The bees found it on their own. They were not a quiet pastime. Having a 2-meter cube sitting on a raised stand and having bees the size of small birds buzzing about did unnerve some people.

But Drew found the simplicity and order of their lives to be calming. While the concept of 'all for one and one for all' would never really work in the world of differing species and especially humans, earth bees and these 'bees' had found that harmony.

He enjoyed their hum, the comings and goings and the begging for food. The Kettle seemed to be as enthralled as he was. The 'Cats and Foxies' not so much.

The bees were omnivorous and so after a little bit of inadvertent sharing, the bees knew to come begging for food when other species came to visit the hive. They were polite about it though. They would land at the edge of the table and just fan their wings until treats were offered.

The servants brought a plate of fruits, meats, and cheeses when he went off to his private place. He shared this simple repast with his buzzing friends and enjoyed the effortlessness of the moment.

Drew wished it were later so he could sit here and relax with a glass of wine and the thrum of the hive.

But the Sword of Damocles was ever in his mind, and he had a planet to shepherd. The weight of that was daunting. This was why he was happy to help Target escape the weighted mantel, or at least that is what he told himself.

One of the younger bees became more aggressive and hovered in front of his hand that held an earth grape. His mind clicked to the here and now and offered the grape. The bee flew off to share with the hive. His mind immediately shifted back to the pathway of the past.

He had awoken in the captain's chair on the last remaining ship of the Pride. It had taken him a short time to know that at that moment, his life had shifted. Those shifts in his life, going to space, surviving capture, being thrust into leadership of the Pride, were very linear. There were few options to be taken, or no options, just survival.

Those that he came to love had died. Meme, Tiffany, and Kay had died in their own way, but with a singular focus, protection of the Pride. He had come a long way since awakening in that chair. All of it had been with a single focus, 'Protect the Pride.'

And that had been done, with enormous sacrifice from himself and those around him.

The "PRIDE" itself had now changed. While Its Cat lineage had largely escaped to areas controlled completely by Cats, his version of the "Pride" encompassed all forms of creatures. To him it was still the 'Pride', just an expanded version.

'So how was he to protect this amalgamation of creatures, cultures and associated problems that came with it?' he thought and pondered.

It was time to find another way.

***

Lord Drew of the Pride stood on the dais and looked over the crowd. He had walked up slowly and early, played with his pad, and did not evoke silence. He heard laughter to one side and a plethora of different languages.

He knew that somehow his speech to the Queen, edited for her benefit, had "somehow" made it to social media. The Sword of Damocles was now a fable for this world, to be told forever to teach a lesson. He assumed it was Ren that did the editing, and well done it was.

He stayed quiet for a while longer. Unlike when he arrived at this meeting several years ago, members of this group were not going to be accused of fascism and treason. The original Odessa mob were shipped off back to earth, or worse.

The rumors of the more recent 'vanishings', as they were now called, did not seem to strike up the same concerns. The vanishings would be a talking point during part of these meetings. He would take the blame upon himself and make it another object lesson for those in attendance.

It was time, to make a world shift again or look the fool. Either way he would get what he wanted.

He nodded to Eddie, the controller of the lights, drones, and other media equipment. The lights dimmed in the hall and raised slightly above him highlighting his presence behind the podium. He looked out over the crowd, the Governors, their staff, hangers-on, and the like.

Drew stepped in front of the glass podium raised high on the dais and then stepped down to stage level. He paused for a moment to let the murmurs, chirps, grunts, and other communication soften.

He opened his arms, palms up and quietly said "Please stand" as he used his arms to signal. There was a scaping of chairs, and the sounds went up and octave or so. When all were standing, he was again silent for a moment.

And then Lord Drew of the Pride began to clap and smile.

"So, I do not confuse everyone. I am clapping in honor of you. You led the survival through our first winters. You have led a changing economy. You led by sharing information, sharing the work, finding new products and markets. You accomplished this as a united group. You have thrived against all odds and made this world better. You have made Atlantis a thriving continent." Drew paused.

"I bow to you, leaders of your colonies, with honor and respect for the trials and tribulations you have overcome. I bow to you honored guests, for the sacrifices you have endured."

And with that, Lord Drew of the Pride bowed to the audience. The audience broke out in cheer and clapping of its own.

Drew gave them enough time and then waived for them to sit and quiet down.

"With these accomplishments comes burden...and that is why we are here today. I would like to partake and discuss a lesson from Earth's human history. In the area where I was born, now called the Northern Alliance" he had to pause when some 'Boo's' rang out,

Drew paused briefly and waived his hands palm down to signify quiet, "Separate states cannot survive without cohesion. Atlantis will not survive without becoming one government." Drew paused.

"And I do not want this capital to be that defining force." Drew paused again hearing cries of "No" "don't do it"

Drew waved them to silence.

"During the birth of the United States of America, people had to make the change to governing themselves. This too happened in a country called Canada. These two countries, later combined to be the Northern Alliance." Drew had to pause as boo's rang out from the audience. Drew again waived all down to silence.

"This one area of Earth provides lessons on three types of government, Democratic Republic, Parliamentary, and Authoritarian. What we have now is called a Monarchy rule by a single individual," Drew paused again for effect.

"Me. And that has to change." Drew waived off the calls for him to stay.

"This is why you are here this week, to begin the long and hard process to create the unified government of Atlantis. The Charter you all signed when you came to this world, is a basis for this new government." Drew paused because he was stepping into a dark place.

"Some of our citizens violated the charter by becoming authoritarian. Using violence and fear against others...to control. This is a tool that has been used by Humans for eons to control, subjugate and suppress freedom." Drew used this time to pause to allow the translators to outline the concepts.

"This will not be tolerated. The ones that have been caught, have paid for their transgressions. In some cases, with their lives." Drew paused again to allow all the beings in the room to understand what he had done.

"I take full responsibility for the acts against these people. Regretfully, most were my species, human. When we came to make this world our new home. All of us agreed to leave old prejudices behind. While I believe that is near-to-impossible with humans, we must strive to do so. We must as a group endeavor to leave the old worlds behind so we can continue to thrive," he provided a brief pause to allow for the translations.

"Within your deliberations, I would like to think on a third organization or 'House' within the voting structure of your government. Each of the two main governments, Republic or Parliamentary have two houses or Bicameral. I would like to add a third house, or something based on species. All sentient species need to have an equal voice in our new government." Drew paused and smiled as the murmurs continued to grow louder.

"It's a lot to take in, isn't it?" Drew laughed from the stage and then a smattering of laughter started around the auditorium.

"I have asked the Governor from Omega to help establish the committees. His lovely mate is with him. Their organizational skills will include more of you in the 'hands-on' creation of our new society. We need to include more beings, to help understand the complex system we are going to create." DB raised his hand to cheering and clapping. Nalia entered the fray with Alania, and several others in tow.

"Information has been forwarded on the Republic and Parliamentary styles of government. It should be the first of the issues you define, but again, I am not in charge of this effort...you are." Lord Drew paused. "If you find or know of a system that would work better, please define it, organize it and present it to your peers."

"There are some things that I will bring up briefly. But, I warn you they may have a negative tone to them. I offer my apologies if this sounds too negative, especially just before you move forward with the burden of creating a new society." Drew took in a deep breath and exhaled slowly.

"One, this effort is only for the defined colony lands in Atlantis. The Spider lands will not be infringed upon. The border with the Spiders is fixed, and will not be crossed, built on or farmed without their permission. This permission will include the approval from whatever government you create. Speaking as a human, we can be a selfish species. There have been several...'altercations' that have ended in...ummm...punishment...for the violators."

"Two, the lands of the main continent will remain in Capitol control. The Cat lands are being run and controlled by the various clans and will have no bearing on your government."

'The center of the continent, the main caldera and what is called the 'cold' country will remain in Capitol control. All of its resources are to remain intact, and its spaces are to remain free as a world 'park' to be shared with all citizens of this world."

Lord Drew paused again, mostly for effect, "I am sure you now have heard the story of the Sword of Damocles," there was an outburst of mumbling from all parts of the hall, "You, the governors of your respected colonies, future states, future provinces or whatever you decide to call them face an arduous task. You will now have some form of a sword above your neck, please govern wisely."

"I wish to offer one more human saying as you head into your talks and deliberations. It goes something like this, 'Absolute power, corrupts absolutely." Drew looked over the crowd and they were silent. Many a pad had ignited as the many species tried to ingest the deeper meaning of the phrase.

"It's a human term, but as the Pride found out, the concept goes beyond species. It cost me the lives of two mates that I loved deeply. The governments that I have recommended are not efficient, but cumbersome. They are not meant to make quick changes. They generally are a pain in the ass. But they are meant to stop a single person, or group from seizing power. We must always protect against a tyrant, even a benevolent one like myself. "

At that, the crowd erupted in telling Drew they disagreed. Positive comments were thrown towards the dais. Lord Drew stood stoically. Hands clasped in front of him and let the storm rage. He finally raised his hands for silence and things settled back down.

"Please remember what I said earlier. I have punished or sanctioned the death of members of our society that I felt were a danger to the Pride or the society we are creating. I did it on my own, no judge, no jury, no one to question my decision." Drew paused again for his own purposes and his eye flicked up to the control area in the dark reached of the hall.

Eddie received the mental direction from Drew and brought a certain spotlight to full power. It was pointed 5 meters above Drews head.

The crowd as one gasped.

There hanging above Drew's head was Drew's claymore sword. An ancient antique two-handed Scottish sword, a gift from a friend.

"I have killed with this sword. I took the head of my mate and queen Tiffany because she became so sick with the idea of absolute power, she endangered the Pride. Absolute power corrupted her, and I will never allow that corruption to contaminate this world." And with that Drew sent the message and sword broke free and hurled toward Drew. The spotlight followed the shining spear of metal.

The crowd screamed.

Drew took a half step backwards and the sword plunged into the stage deck at his feet with a ring and clatter. He let it flex and weave in front of him. Finally, the crowd started to quite a bit.

"I leave this symbol for you, as you start on your demanding task. Remember, 'absolute power, corrupts absolutely."

And with that, Lord Drew of the Pride stepped back into the shadows behind the Dais and let the gleaming sword speak for him.

There was dead silence for more than a moment and then claps began in the back and then the chamber erupted in applause and discussion.

***

Drew left the congregation of Governors. He headed backstage and then down into the back alleys of the Castle. He knew it was time to leave and give the governors and staff time to settle in and start on their difficult task. It took the United States over 30 years to create their beginning. And even then, it was a confederation of states. It would take just as long for this creation.

He knew that Humans would drive the dialog. But while the framework of either Republic or Parliamentary was defined, there was not the driving force of having other countries trying to take you over.

Without sustained force, this could whither and fall apart before it began. He would give them their space and then provide the guiding hand and positive reinforcement to bring it to a close.

***

Hundreds of light years away, beings stood on the sands of planet CHOTH 4MB. The beings were an odd assortment of creatures.

A group of Naga 'stood' facing a group of aliens. They were adorned in simple but elegant clothing. Spun of some thread that shimmered in the heat. Their faces, while scaled, had a weather-beaten look, as from the dry winds and hot breeze of the desert sands.

Their background was a magnificent structure carved into the stone Mountain. The structure went up as far as the eye could see and around in both direction until blocked by smaller structures that seemed more sculpture than building.

The aliens standing in the sands in front of the carved mountain stood as tall and rigid as they could. Several Kettle stood in a line at the back of the group, they were the pilot, copilot, and flight engineer. A Foxy stood in the middle of the group seemingly muttering to herself. One Naga was part of alien group, coiffured in the ways of the old empire. And beside her was what looked like a small human female dressed in a golden kilt and breastplate. She wore an oddly shaped hat and was on one knee presenting a jeweled encrusted sword.

The alien Naga moved forward and so did three of the main Naga group facing the aliens. The oldest of the native Naga moved closer to this oddly dressed alien Naga. They stopped several meters apart and bowed to each other.

All the alien beings in attendance heard a raspy vocalization from the alien Naga. It took a few seconds and their translators started to spit language.

"Hello mother. It has been a while. I have returned to claim my birthright."

Both Naga stood facing each other without a flicker of movement until Nor flashed across the sand.

There upon, a fight to the death erupted. Two Naga, engaged to the death. One old but well versed in the art of keeping her throne. One a being of other worlds. Given away at an early age and never expected to return.

Chaff, scattered to keep the wolves at bay.

But the Chaff came home with a vengeance. Unknown to the Naga throng, Nor was now versed in the fighting styles of many worlds.

***

Drew walked around the edge of the castle from his private garden. He was followed by what looked like a female lion. Her mane shifted and flowed, and she slowly trotted to follow her father.

Drew spun when he heard a fuss and clacking coming from inside his suite. A large flash of grey came from around the same corner and careened into him.

"Goldie! What are you doing at the castle?" Drew knew of course that she must have come with DB and Nalia, but before he could say anything else he was wracked sideways by another flash of fur, this time tan.

There were yips and snarls as the tangle of multicolored fur rolled into the adjacent ground cover and bushes. It was all sorted out in a few seconds as Kitten held Goldie's throat in a friendly death grip.

Kitten released her grip immediately and licked Goldie's nose. Old friend play time was over. Goldie vaulted up whining, both creatures rubbing their faces all over each other and then Drew.

Drew paused, then sent a mental note to Eddie to let Nalia and DB know that he had Goldie and they were headed to the "Cold" country on Atlantis.

"Understood Lord, I do not think they will mind. She has become a bit of handful here in the Castle so I think a vacation will please them both. Safe trip Lord Drew." Eddie finished and Drew felt the link slide.

They boarded a borrowed military shuttle. Drew had no interest in flashing his whereabouts and making himself a target as he flew to his cabin. He also liked the comfort in the ability to shoot back if it became required.

His borrowed co-pilot was late, but this whole venture was done at the last second so his name and itinerary was not broadcast to every social media flatform. He clicked the button for preflight and the AI (very limited) woke. He began to review the systems. His regular shuttle would always do this by itself, but because of ordinance on-board the ship demanded a sentient presence.

DrewScott
DrewScott
350 Followers