Drip-Fed Pt. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
FanFunatic
FanFunatic
444 Followers

"Yes," Aclysia answered quickly and looked around. She was the worst tracker out of the three of them by a wide margin, but she did her best to notice things. Under normal circumstances, Apexus or Reysha would have done these patrols of the area instead, but the metal fairy insisted on doing them, usually before the other two were even awake. "Having a home, albeit a temporary one, has aided me in finding my balance again. I don't know how to best put this... I think my mind has... settled?"

"That makes me happy," Apexus hummed, those words felt very inadequate. Although most of his fundamental speech issues were resolved by now, the chimeric creature still struggled to adapt to expressing his emotions with those simple sounds sometimes. To make the intent clearer, he added, "I love you."

Aclysia chuckled, at the slight awkwardness of the conversation, and pressed a light kiss on his cheek. So close to home, the slime didn't wear his mask. "I love you too," she responded and they continued their circle. "We have to think about moving soon."

"Yes," Apexus could only agree. Not because they had found any tracks or other signs that made them worried, but simply because time had been passing. Even with the issues they still had to resolve, they could continue to grow. To have any chance to survive they needed to be much stronger. "However, as long as Reysha is the way she is..."

His voice trailed off into nothing and Aclysia had nothing to add. There was only one obvious path forwards, between where they currently were and what they had to do. If Reysha could not ever recover from her current state, could not laugh as she used to, fight as she used to and act like she used to, then she truly would be a burden forever.

As much as they wanted to help her, every day they continued to dwell was another day they hadn't spent preparing themselves. It had been easy to ignore when they needed rest themselves but now that they were thinking about moving on, they only really stayed for her sake. The logical thing to do was to leave her behind, allow them to at least save themselves. Reysha would likely be spared if she just didn't associate with Apexus anymore. Apotho owed her his freedom, after all.

Regardless of what was logical, neither the slime nor the angel entertained the thought for too long. They had lost so much, gone through all of the last few months together and for each other. Apexus would rather die, however horribly, than be separated from either of them.

They finished the morning patrol and went back to the house. If leaving her behind wasn't an option, then they could only continue as they were. They had stayed for a long time already, too long in many ways, but life wasn't bad.

When they returned, to their pleasant surprise, Reysha had gotten up and was in the process of getting clothed. Her undergarments were made from fine linen, greyish-white panties and a breast-band that wrapped around her chest and kept it from bouncing around too much. Nothing fine, materials and craftsmanship in this area were limited, but it did the job, especially once she put on her shirt and pants as well.

On the normal mornings of bad days, Reysha had to be motivated to even get out of bed. "Morn'," she slurred and yawned, her mouth opening wide, lips pulling back and revealing her fangs. It was a very cattish motion, supported by the flicking of her red, furred ears on the top of her head. Reaching up, she pulled some dusty particles and small pieces of yarns out of the fluffy hairs that grew on the inside of her cat ears. They must have gathered over night. Her face had already been cleaned, courtesy of the metal bucket of water they kept inside the house. "Slept absolutely fucking awfully."

"We saw that," Aclysia's empathetic voice echoed out, as the metal fairy walked over. "It appears to have struck you less than usual, though."

"It's slowly getting better, I think," Reysha answered and sighed. "I dreamt of that burning sky again, it... I wouldn't say I'm getting used to it, but I feel like I'm getting better at standing up to it."

Apexus felt infinitely relieved to hear anything like that. If the bad days ceased being too bad, then then it was a step in the right direction. Without much thought, the slime jumped on Reysha and cuddled her. "Good, progress is good!" he declared.

"No, stop, I don't deserve to be coddled like that I want- I- ohhh, that's the good spot," Reysha's protests were silenced once Apexus started scratching her behind the ears. There was that one spot that, when rubbed, successfully relaxed the tiger girl in most cases. It didn't do much when she was stressed, but when it came to having a quiet minute, that was a good way to have her purring.

Holding her in front of him in a firm embrace, Apexus scratched her head for a while. His libido surfaced for a second, but went down under pretty quickly again. It had gotten ignored for the past two months now. The slime got horny sometimes, as did Aclysia, but neither of them had felt comfortable to act on it with Reysha around and unable to join. As such, they were currently living a celibate life. Not entirely necessary, but also not a problem.

"You deserve all the cuddles," Apexus decided and rubbed against her to mark her with his scent. An instinctual and possessive gesture, but one that Reysha was receptive towards, even if it failed to create the sexual reaction in herself that she would have wanted. "Do you feel good enough to join in the dungeon?"

She gave that a moment of thought, but shook her head. That was already more than the apathetic, slow denial that was usually given, so Apexus didn't push her harder on that. "I'll try to go out tonight, if nothing else," the tiger girl promised.

During one of her depressed days, Apexus had suggested that she started moving around the outskirts of the nearby city at night. The logic was that, if she couldn't fight, she should at least keep her Sneaking ability well maintained. While she was out, she could listen to some rumours as well, gathering some random information that might come in useful.

It had been closer to a command, actually, as the slime had been quite ticked off that she didn't even do anything on days that she was able to. Being willing to help her get through that naturally came with the expectation that she would do whatever she could to improve. The redhead's fixation on failing at combat and sex had only driven down her mood, so the slime had suggested something that could give her some feeling of accomplishment every day.

"Remember to be tremendously careful," Aclysia chimed in. She wasn't all that happy with Reysha going out on her own. Not because of the state she was in, but also because someone could spot her sneaking around and ask all sorts of unwanted questions. She held back because it really was the only thing that the Rogue could do by herself that gave her a bit of happiness and distraction.

"I haven't gotten caught so far -- somehow," Reysha grinned. Nothing more than that. Aside from a small giggle here and there, the somewhat crazy woman hadn't laughed at all in the past few months.

Hopefully, that would change soon.

Reysha left the house when night had long come. Her senses were sharpened from a recent meal, the spongy head of some fungus monster. The texture had been anything but pleasant, but the sweet taste had made it alright. It hadn't been enough to fill her stomach for the entire day, so she had to rely on some awful tasting wild berries and plain water to get through the remainder of the day.

'I wonder if I can still drink alcohol,' the thought suddenly surfaced in her mind, as she waved goodbye to Aclysia and Apexus. The two would make their nightly inspection and then retreat for the evening. They wouldn't go to sleep, they could never quite relax when the tiger girl was out on her own, but they were thankful to have some time to just sit and flirt. The slime's need for sleep increased the more complicated his body got, but it still wasn't at the level of a human. A short night's rest would suffice.

Reysha turned and stepped into the treeline. Once she had passed a traditionally problematic bit of brushwork, she started to jog. The leather armour sat well, not as well as her old bodysuit, but well enough. Of her weaponry, she had only taken two daggers with her. One sheath, placed for quick access with her left hand, was placed on the right side of her hips and further strapped onto her leg to prevent any sort of dangling. The second one, used for replacement or dual wield situations, was secured on her lower back, running horizontally.

Both were designed to get in the way of things as little as possible, but it was still best to move around with at least that weight. It was something to get used to and, no matter how optimized the equipment was, there was no guarantee that an unskilled move by her didn't cause a handle to get stuck on something. If the equipment was the most important thing about battles and movement, then the person wielding them wouldn't have mattered.

'I like to think I matter...' it blipped in Reysha's mind and she could imagine Apexus slapping her for doubting herself like that. Her beloved slimeball would have never actually hit her in any hurtful fashion, but imagining she was getting berated helped the redhead a little bit. While she wasn't quite sure if she could convince herself that she was worth something, she knew there were two people that would insist she was. That was a good start.

As was the fact that she didn't enter a mindless self-deprecation spiral. Given how the day had started, that was a very real possibility. Over and over again, her thoughts would jumble. A chaotic knot of threats would form and she would desperately try to pull at it, to isolate the paranoia, the fear, the guilt, and all the other maddening emotions inside it. A single grasp in her focus, she could try to see what was the actual cause of it, ask herself what she could do to fix it. The moment she would start to figure things out, the knot reformed with magnetic might. With it would come a rush of tears and confusion, so much confusion. Her shattered mind was a puzzle that undid itself every time she moved.

That was how she felt on bad days.

It was splendid progress that she could reset that feeling over the course of the day. Normally only sleep allowed her a chance at reforming her mind. Today it had happened over the course of being awake. Very little of that had been because of her active efforts. She hadn't yet found the state of mind that actually allowed her to untie that knot.

Instead, she looped back to the question of the alcohol. 'It would seriously suck if I couldn't have any liquor anymore. Well, I could still drink that shit, but it would taste like actual liquid shit and I don't know if that's worth it for getting drunk... maybe if I spike it with monster blood...? Could work. Wouldn't look all that welcoming though. Maybe someone out there just brews stuff with magical herbs in the mix? That would definitely fix it.'

She arrived at the outskirts of the city and looked for any movements in the wide streets. The two large cities on the Summer Rest island were roughly equivalent in structure. Both had three layers to them. The outskirts, which were single houses along the roads leading up to the cities, the outer city, where structures stood densely packed around the walls, and the inner city, basically everything within the walls. The city to the south had, beyond that, a dockyard and port district.

Reysha usually sneaked her way around the border of the outskirts and outer city. She had gotten into the inner city on some previous nights, but quickly realized that the guards had her in their sight half the time. They were retired adventurers, people that had reached a higher level than she currently was and had then decided that they would rather deal with drunken peasants than ever-stronger monsters and tests by the gods.

A couple of months back, the tiger girl would have called them weak-minded morons, but nowadays she got why someone may want to throw all of the adventuring life down and just enjoy peace and quiet. 'Just because I get it doesn't mean I want to end up like that though,' she thought and found herself a route past the houses that should leave her unseen.

The inner city was off limits. Getting caught wasn't the fear, the guards seemed content to just follow her and know that they could catch her whenever she did break into somewhere. That her looks would stick with someone, however, was a genuine worry and she didn't want to be the reason that Aclysia's paranoia got justified. That aside, sneaking around knowing she was being seen all the time wasn't satisfying.

Instead she kept to the outer layers. The buildings close to the wall were almost as dense, albeit of lesser construction, and the guards weren't all that attentive. There was a clear divide that was taller than the basic stone wall between those inside and outside. Not an issue for Reysha, at least not one she concerned herself with. There were the haves and the have-nots, that was just the nature of every gathering of people. She didn't have the ability to solve societal problems before she sorted her own ones out.

'Not that it can even be that bad,' the tiger girl thought, as she engaged in her favourite way to traverse the city. With a few quick grabs and pulls, she scaled up a brick wall, walked its narrow top towards a shed and silently jumped on the roof. Her tail gleefully curved in the air as she looked around. 'Aside from me, nobody ever seems to be around at night.'

The feline part of her made her love standing on a tall vantage point. Scanning over the roofs, she looked out for any sources of light. Not many people chose to stay up beyond nightfall. It was an eternal summer, days were long and warm, giving ample opportunity for the people to exhaust themselves. Regardless, a few of the windows, many of them actual glass, showed illumination behind them.

The local population of elves had tamed some sort of large firefly to live inside lanterns, which was a lot more effective when it came to things and was also beautiful when those same insects were let out of their homes to seek a partner to breed with. Reysha called those days Light Festivals. The official one was Day of Luminescence. Regardless of the name, today was just a normal night and the fireflies stayed in their shelters.

Reysha jumped off the shed and back on the wall, following it towards another roof and then getting on it instead. Anyone she would pass on the streets below would be able to see her quite easily, houses around here were rarely taller than the base floor, but there was basically nobody out and so the most thrilling game she could play when it came down to it was this dance over the rooftops. Not only did she get to satisfy that feline tingle, but there was a surprising amount of difficulty coming along with this modus of movement.

Most roofs she moved over were wooden or tiled (there were also those covered in thatch, but she avoided those because of instability). The obvious complication was the noise. All of the people not on the streets were in their houses and very few people reacted to loud footsteps on their roofs with anything less than immediate confusion and mild anger. There were also those deserted houses who might break away under her. She could run for it, if she ever disturbed someone, but the true art of sneaking was to never get noticed in the first place.

If there was one thing she was still good at, it really was sneaking. She knew how to fall correctly, let the impact be distributed through her entire body, and where to land optimally. While on the roof, she tried to move around the outskirts of it. Stepping along the underlying wall created significantly less noise than the hollow rest. If there was the need, she knew how to intertwine the correct way of walking with some magic to get across regardless, but Reysha preferred to pose a challenge to herself.

She smiled. She hadn't even noticed when she started to do so, but the tiger girl was happy to feel that she was good at something. To do something only she could and that she didn't need any help for. Her movements were fluid, her eyes moving along and her ears...

...her ears picked up a few words. The words weren't quite clear yet, but the tone didn't betray anything pleasant. Some sort of argument. Intrigued and feeling some sort of strange obligation, Reysha jumped off the roof she was currently on, landed in a patch of grass, and started to follow the voices.

She identified three. One was pleading, one aggressive and one annoyed. An explosive mixture, especially since the latter two seemed to agree that the former had done something wrong. Reysha soon found the speakers.

All she got was a glimpse at their outlines. Two men, one bulky, the other lean, both tall, stood opposite of a more average sized male. Reysha had to press herself against the corner of a nearby house to stay hidden. The spot had been well chosen for the goal of being uninterrupted. Four semi-decayed houses, none of them lived in, surrounded a small plaza with a well in the middle. Fences and the proximity of the walls made it difficult to approach the trio by any other means than a long alley.

With unseen spying near impossible, Reysha opted to just concentrate on listening.

"...Please, I told you, I don't have it," the pleading voice said, belonging to the smallest of the three men.

A crack of knuckles and growling by the angry voice preceded the answer of the third person involved.

"Yes, we got that, and that's a problem for you," the annoyed voice groaned. "We get it that you fell on ill fortunes and had you stayed put, we might have been able to find other ways for you to repay us. Now that you've demonstrated that you're a rat willing to run at the first sign of danger, however, we will get what is owed to us by whatever means adequate."

Reysha was frozen. 'Are they going to kill him?' the question surfaced in her mind. 'Should I stop them? No... no, how the fuck would I even do that? I'm weak, I can't even kill an animal on my own, much less a human.'

"W-what do you mean by that?" the pleading voice stammered. The answer given was a gesture and all Reysha heard was the dull sound of someone getting punched in the face.

'Even if I could do that, should I? I have no fucking idea what's going on with me and I have no fucking idea what's going on here! Last time I swooped in to just stab my way out of problems...' the tiger girl's whole body was taken by a sudden shiver and she had to muster her entire willpower to starve off a sudden scream, as unwanted images surfaced.

All the while, sounds of pain echoed, a second punch sent the person to the ground, then there were a few well-aimed kicks. The groan, gasps and shouts of desperation added oil to the fire of Reysha's turmoil. All of her was torn. There was no such thing as a part of her that wanted to run in and help, a part of her that wanted to just stay out of it or a part of her that wanted to run away as quick and as fast as she could. All of her wanted to do all three things at once. Atonement, uncertainty and simple, mindless flight.

By technicality, the middle option won, as the unsolvable knot in her mind made her stay where she was and passively listen. The violence eventually ended, underlined by a final slap. "You'll get the money ready, as much as you can, or you'll get a repeat of this next time," the annoyed voice announced.

"And don't even try to get away again, you little shitboot," the angry voice growled. "We'll do you worse if you try to."

Dirt grinded audibly under their soles when they turned towards the alley. Just barely, Reysha managed to gather enough of her self-control to change position to somewhere else. Any previous elegance in her craft as a Rogue was forgotten, she just dived behind the next corner. As luck would have it, the duo's continued conversation was louder than the noise she made doing so and the direction they turned to didn't bring them past her. She was safe and had time to slowly calm down.

FanFunatic
FanFunatic
444 Followers
1...56789...13