Driving the Last Spike Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Qiang raised his head proudly. "So be it."

"Joining us?" Fai repeated, shocked. "For what reason?"

Qiang sat back in his simple wood slat chair, nursing his drink. Fai had originally suggested opium, but Qiang had forcefully refused. "The barbarians call it 'chasing the dragon.' I think it sounds exotic," Fai explained, then couldn't understand why Qiang found it offensive. Not that Qiang explained why.

"Perhaps I want to see the world," he said, reflective.

"Then see the world. My understanding is that the work gangs don't show you all that much of it."

Qiang shrugged. "I imagine that's true. Picking up extra money isn't a bad thing either. But come, let's not spend the night talking of such bad things. Sooner than we like, our time will belong to others, so let's enjoy it while we can."

With that, all further questions simply faded from Fai's mind and they spent the rest of the evening enjoying dinner and drinks.

As Qiang left the simple tavern, he passed an old ghost on the road.

"I know why you're going, dragon," he said.

Qiang turned, stepping into the spirit world to speak privately with the spirit. "Yes, grandfather, and why is that?" he asked with a bow.

The spirit seemed pleased with receiving an honorific from a dragon, even a young one. "You go to protect Fai. Not that we don't appreciate this, but his family has guardians and we will be handling this, Revered One. This is our responsibility."

Qiang dipped his head in an acknowledging nod, a respectful smile on his face as his pearl flared angry in his gut. "Of course. I understand there are no doubt ancient and auspicious guardians attending him and his family. And if you could do something to illustrate to the patriarch of this family why he should tend first tohis responsibilities and not spend the family's money on his own pleasures perhaps Fai wouldn't need so much protecting."

*************************

"Seriously dude, you just snarked off to the guys guardians?" Sebastian asked in disbelief. Even Chang looked askance.

Qiang sighed and shook his head. "Not the wisest of all possible options, I'll concede. But my temper tended to get the better of me back then."

"Back then?" Chang asked with a small smile.

Qiang looked over to Chang with a put upon look. "Nonetheless..."

*************************

The morning of the departure Qiang appeared surreptitiously among the workers. None took notice of his appearance. He worked his way through the crowds looking for Fai. He saw him with his family and decided not to go over until they departed. Qiang was aware of their concerns regarding him and while he could normally concede their point, the revelation that Fai's predicament was caused by his father guaranteed Qiang would not hold his tongue. So he passed the time observing the other workers. Some bid farewell to parents, as Fai was, others to children, and still others to lovers. He saw many openly weep as the fabric of their lives was torn asunder. He could feel the desperate prayers of both the men leaving and the families left behind.

Qiang felt himself moved by their plight in a profound way. For the first time in his contentious relationship with Heaven, Qiang earnestly sought help. He prayed for guidance and strength as the realization that the prayers of these peoples, both those departing and those who must carry on in their devastated absence, may lay in Heaven's hands but were equally on his head. He started to realize just how excruciating this endeavor was going to become.

*************************

"That must have been an exceedingly difficult scene to witness," Chang commented softly.

Sebastian, caught up in Qiang's narrative, watched him closely. He could see not only the distance Qiang tried to conjure, but the trembling depth of emotion it brought up in him. Dakota felt tears welling up in her own eyes, as did Mingzhu.

"I can still hear the children's cries, still see the tears as they said good-bye to their fathers. Or the tears of those who said farewell to their children, their spouses, their lovers. The memories of those left behind still haunt me. And the many that never found their way back. I suspect it always will." He paused, silent for a long moment as Mingzhu gently stroked his mane.

"But then came the sea voyage," he said. "And while it was perhaps not as difficult as the departure, it was its own kind of hell."

"How so?" Sebastian asked.

"Not only was I a fire dragon on a highly flammable, and overcrowded, wooden boat, I was surrounded by water. Water that held its own dragons who had their own opinions on uppity Chinese fire dragons who impertinently wandered too far from the mainland..."

*************************

The crowded conditions of the ship were not to Qiang's liking. Barely enough space to lie down was accorded to each traveler and their belongings. Additionally, toilet accommodations were woefully lacking and basic hygiene was non-existent. It was nearly intolerable to Qiang who, at the best of times, required distance and boundaries from either people or dragons. But he resolutely endured the voyage, refusing to even temporarily abandon the responsibilities he undertook for a brief respite in the spirit world.

After three weeks, on the first full moon of the voyage, he could abstain no longer. Though he could sense the energy of the moon, none of the light penetrated the depth of the hull. All Chinese dragons had a connection to the moon through their pearls, and they had access to her power and wisdom. And like all Chinese dragons, Qiang dearly loved and longed for the moon. It was one of the few things he actually shared with Zongxian. Drawn by the longing the moon called out of him, Qiang carefully made his way to the top deck then slid to the spirit world.

The ship didn't look much different in the spirit world. Even with the moonlight playing off the wood, there was still much darkness. Qiang sighed. Considering how many in the human cargo were falling ill, it wasn't a surprise. Zongxian's admonishment to conceal his nature rang in Qiang's memory and limited what he could do. Dysentery and scurvy and other disorders were not beyond him to cure, but not as a simple worker. Qiang sighed again and leaned against the side of the boat. He was tutoring the medic as well as he could, but the man was frustratingly thick-witted and wouldn't listen.

He turned his face to the moon and sought her council. As her essence filled him and tickled his pearl, he opened himself up to receive more. Soon the tickle became a caress and his dragon form sought release. At first he firmly resisted. Then realizing as he stood in the spirit world no one would know, he fully surrendered to the call of the moon.

His serpentine body spread out along the back of the ship. Though it was a good size ship, and his manifestation was in the spirit world, the boat still dipped slightly with the encumbrance. Qiang settled as the boat accepted his weight.

The moonlight seemed to concentrate on him and he drank in as much as he could get. The feel of the moon gathering in his pearl was pure bliss and Qiang forgot his questions and concerns for that time. Soon, he felt over-full and bloated with the moon. His reverie broke and he concentrated on the moon.

Take it he heard on the moon-lit breeze.Take it and spread it amongst the sick. This is my gift and Heaven need be none the wiser.

Qiang smiled and set to his task. He sifted the energy through him and dispersed it as far and wide through the ship as he could. He watched in his mind's eye as the shadows caused the by the sicknesses dispersed in the light. He knew it wasn't a complete or permanent solution, but it would ease the suffering and for that he was grateful.

As Qiang began to thank the moon, the ship was rammed, the shock wave nearly knocking him from the boat. Qiang quickly scanned the water for what it might have been, but saw nothing. A second strike and Qiang spotted a wake. Qiang was faintly aware of the deck hands checking the ship in the physical world for the source of the ship's disturbance. He trumpeted out a deep roar of a challenge before a third strike could be made.

A head slowly rose from the water. The long neck continued to rise until it was well above the boat deck. Qiang had had little dealings with sea going dragons. River and lake dragons yes, but ocean and sea dragons were a thing apart. They were much less benign, to Qiang's understanding. The ocean resisted domestication. It was as fierce and primal as the day the world was set to order. This was as it was supposed to be, Qiang knew, but it did make is current situation much more dangerous.

Qiang took in the neck that had to be at least fifteen feet long and worried. Whatever was seen above the water, it was best to assume at least two-thirds still remained below the water. He could see no hint of shoulders or where the body itself might start. This was not a Chinese dragon, he knew, and the reception would most likely not be pleasant.

The head was covered in spikes, most of which were backward facing. Two along the jaw line jutted forward menacingly and a hand full of smaller spikes extended from the end of the chin. The deep-set eyes regarded Qiang with unpleasant delight and though the sea dragon smiled, the smile held malice.

"So," he said, his oily voice oozing over Qiang. "What have we here? A little fire dragon taking a little trip? You are far from China, child. What brings you to my waters?"

"This boat does. I do not control its direction." Qiang managed to sound respectful, though he was sorely aware of how little diplomacy he actually possessed.

"Is that so? Do your traveling companions have so little regard for you then?"

Qiang weighed his response carefully. "There are times when traveling in secrecy is better than traveling in the open." Qiang noted with some concern that the sea dragon was pacing the ship. He tried to judge the body size from the wake and was uncertain. The humans on the deck, unable to see either dragon, nevertheless seemed to sense something was off. Qiang was close enough to the barrier of the spirit world to see their movements around the deck, reviewing every part and piece of the ship they could.

"Oh, really?" the humor in his tone only made it seem worse. "Your humans have no idea either of us are here right now?"

"No." Qiang's tone was firm, if still respectful. He raised his head and looked the sea dragon in the eye. "And it would be in everybody's best interest if it remained that way."

The dragon's eyes narrowed. His head shot forward and the broad, square jaws snapped inches from Qiang's snout. The spikes brushed his scales, but Qiang didn't blink. He maintained his position and the eye lock.

"Heaven can't help you out here, boy," he snarled.

"While I doubt that's true, I don't recall asking for help."

The sea dragon was first to look away. He covered it by studying the deck.

"You know," he said, a cruel smile tugging his lips. "This ship hasn't given me any tribute to sail my waters. That's bad form, indeed."

Qiang regarded the dragon warily. "And what is it you think is your due?" he asked.

Quicker than light off the water, the dragon's head sprang forward again this time for the deck. Before Qiang could react, it appeared a wave crashed on the deck. The dragon raised his head, a sailor in his maw. "Why, whatever I want," he said, his words a bit slurred as he bit down on his catch.

Qiang winced as he felt the man's terror, and felt the life end. He trembled with rage.

"How dare you?" he seethed.

The sea dragon laughed. "Dare? It's my right, little dragon. And what shall you do to stop me?" He snickered as his neck moved forward.

Qiang was prepared, this time. He lunged forward and clamped his jaws down on the sea dragon's throat. The sea dragon breached further out of the water. Qiang dug his claws in the flesh that was exposed. As the dragon angled his body downward to the surf Qiang called his fire. Always close to call, it flared even quicker when he was angry. He could feel the cool, slick flesh of the sea dragon begin to burn and blister under his claws. With a screech the sea dragon struck the water and rapidly descended, dragging Qiang with him.

Wisdom told Qiang to release the sea dragon and let him retreat. Qiang needed oxygen as surely as his fire did. Spite, however, gleefully suggested clinging on and forcing his opponent to suffer for as long as possible. Qiang bit down deeper, dug his claws in firmly, and forced the fire to burn white-hot. The sailor may have been British, and a barbarian, but he'd done no wrong to this dragon, and his life demanded avenging.

The sea dragon had no claws, only fins. His main form of attack were the dagger sharp teeth lining his jaws, which were being kept away from the fire dragon by his clamped jaws. The sea dragon tried every maneuver he could think of to shake his attacker off. He barrel rolled, he breached surface and dove deep, he whipped his body around in every conceivable pattern. Still, Qiang clung like a barnacle and wrapped his body around the sea dragon's. Blood ran down the sea dragon's body from numerous puncture wounds. Qiang sawed his jaws back and forth on the neck, tearing the wound wider.

During the attack, Qiang saw red. Soon his vision began to cloud and his lungs burn for air. Reluctantly, he released his hold and watched as the sea dragon dove even deeper, trailing blood in his wake. Smaller fish began to follow the trail. Qiang smiled, then pushed towards the surface.

When he broke surface, the ship was nowhere to be seen. He looked about, then gazed towards the moon.

"Please, gracious lady, guide me again. Show me the way to the ship."

He felt again infused with moonlight. Then he saw a distinct path of light leading away from his position in the water.

Follow the path, Qiang. It will lead you to the ship. Heaven will be displeased with your antics.

Qiang struggled with an apology. This was the moon, and he was sorry she was disappointed in him, but try as he might he wasn't sorry he'd attacked the other dragon.

I am not displeased with you. I saw why you attacked, and you were justified. Perhaps not to the extent you took it, but your initial attack did save other lives. Heaven, however, may have different views.

"Zongxian will, certainly," Qiang muttered.

That he will.

*******************

"Were they?" Sebastian asked.

Qiang blinked, pulled unexpectedly from his narrative. "I'm sorry?"

"Were they angry? Heaven, I mean."

Qiang paused in thought, absently scratching the ruff along his jaw. "In truth, I can't say I ever knew what opinion the greater bureaucracy of Heaven may have had on my mad folly. However, Zongxian was quite angry. Fortunately, I had an unexpected ally..."

**********

Qiang pushed strongly against the swell. Swimming wasn't a particular talent of his, but he managed it pretty well. He followed the moon path and by his reckoning was making good time. Then the sea lurched out from beneath him and he stood on Zongxian's mountain. The glare from the elder dragon should have been enough to cow a dragon twice Qiang's age. Qiang was too angry to notice, or care.

"What am I doing here?" he demanded.

"What are you doing here?" his elder repeated, slowly. "What were you doing attacking some sea dragon you don't even know? I thought the agreement was to not reveal your nature?"

"And who did I reveal it to, aside from some sea dragon who is bleeding out his last if fate is kind?"

"QIANG!" Zongxian's head snapped rigid above Qiang's, his gold eyes blazed and the ground trembled.

Qiang flinched at the first show of temper he'd ever seen from his elder.

"How dare you speak so glibly of a life you never should have taken?"

Qiang shrank back slightly from his elder, but still held his ground. "Had he kept his quarrel with me it would have gone much differently. As it was, he looked away first, then to hide his loss attacked a sailor. I wasn't going to stand for that. If his fight was with me, he should have kept it with me."

Zongxian shook his head in exasperation. "What do you care for the barbarians? They're the ones ferrying your dear friend away. Why is your sympathy now with them?"

"Oh, well, if it's the case we can do as we please to those precipitating the crisis then perhaps I should have killed his father and kept Fai from leaving to begin with." Qiang knew his waspish tone and words were not helping his case. They had escaped before he'd considered. He put in a concerted effort to curb his temper.

"Qiang," Zongxian said low and carefully. "There are expectations of behavior that fall on you as a dragon. You are dangerously close to violating them."

Qiang took a deep breath and banked his growing fire. "I know, elder," he replied carefully. "I know there are expectations. But should there not also be consistencies? If life is sacred, then life is sacred. All life, not that which we pick and chose. And if actions have consequences, shouldn't they apply to all and sundry? If I antagonized the dragon, then his attacking the sailors is inexcusable. And while I agree the barbarians are not the victims in this, charge the wrong doing with those who committed them, not some underling that happens to be close at hand. The sailor killed had not mistreated the workers, the sea dragon or anybody else. That cursed wretch of a dragon killed him to spite me and for no other reason."

"And if you had not been out in the moonlight, it never would have known you were there. If I am to charge someone with wrongdoing as you say, it would seem to go back to you. You had agreed to remain as a human for this venture."

Qiang started to protest when a soft breeze blew through. Then a gentle feminine voice spoke.

"Perhaps, then, the fault is mine."

Qiang and Zongxian both looked in the direction of the speaker. A tall woman regarded them with a smile. Her pale skin glowed softly and long silver-white hair fell gracefully down her back. She was clothed in moonlight and stillness radiated from her. Both Qiang and Zongxian lowered their heads.

"My lady," they intoned simultaneously.

She walked over to them and laid a hand on each of their heads. They both raised their heads up. The beautiful maiden drew her hands down along the jaw ruff of both dragons and kissed them, first Zongxian then Qiang.

"My lady," Zongxian rumbled. "I fail to see how any of this could possibly be laid at your feet."

"It was my light that called him out."

"You can not help but to shine."

"And Qiang, or any dragon, can not help but to be drawn to it. I understand he was to hide his nature. Was he to deny it as well? That is, I think, too much to ask of any dragon."

"He wasn't merely basking..." Zongxian started.

"No, that is true. But it was his basking that attracted the sea dragon. The sea dragon that abused those Qiang considered under his protection. To ignore that is again demanding he deny his nature."

Zongxian considered the moon's words. "So be it," he said at last. "But mark me, Qiang, your journey is barely begun and I've had to reprimand you. Step lightly lest you step no further on this journey."

With that Qiang found himself again in the water, the ship within his sight. The moon maiden floated at his side. He deeply lowered his head.

"Thank you, my lady. My gratitude knows no bounds."

She smiled. "Of course. And you are most welcome. Just please, be careful." Then she was gone and all that was left was to catch the ship and slip back aboard.

*********************

"The moon really saved your bacon, there," Sebastian observed.