Educating Harry Ch. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Diane turned to Trixie, "Thank you so much for taking Harry to the hospital, it's good to have someone around who is practical in an emergency. If it had been left to the men they would probably put a bandage over it and messed it up."

She looked intently back to Harry, "But you're looking rather pale, a bit shocked, more than I would have expected."

Harry was saved from further interrogation by the arrival of two more vehicles, the first was Pete driving his own car and the second was Harry's ute being returned by Pete's girlfriend Tracey.

Pete was beaming, "We won, only just, but we won!"

"Aren't you going to ask Harry how he is," protested Tracey.

"Oh he's alright, just a bit of a cut, be right as rain in a couple of days."

The three women stood to one side, lamenting on the idiocy of men in general and of sportsmen in particular, while Pete told Harry of the famous victory. "That aboriginal kid, the fast bowler; after you left, he got the vicar out for eighty nine in his next over, and then took another five wickets in quick succession. I thought we were stuffed, but then it was really great, Brad and Clarrie the two school kids put on eighty before Clarrie was out but we only needed half a dozen to win and Brad knocked 'em off. Brilliant," he concluded happily.

Tracey saw her chance and leapt in "Come on Pete, you can tell me yet again about your famous victory, but I suspect that Harry could do with a break, we'll be off Mrs Salt...and Harry, you look after yourself."

"I'll be getting along too," said Trixie, "William will be starting to wonder where I have got to."

In just a few seconds they had gone, leaving just Harry and his aunt. "Aunt Diane, I think I'm going to have a lie down for an hour or two, my head is starting to throb a bit."

In Sydney Susan woke and glanced at the clock, "Oh my, almost one in the afternoon;" she slipped out of bed silently, leaving Joe still fast asleep. Wrapping a towel around herself she picked up her dress and went almost silently from his room to her own. Half an hour later, showered and dressed Susan made it out onto the garden terrace where she found Maggie and Carrie. Within less than a minute Ellie joined them.

"You look unreasonably lively Susan," declared Maggie

"I feel pretty good, though it was a long night, the whole event was absolutely brilliant. You should be really proud," added Susan to Ellie.

"I am" said Ellie, "Everything turned out exactly as planned, and you Susan were a sensation."

"Nonsense," responded Susan, "though I did have the feeling that everything turned out just right."

"Was Susan really a sensation mum?" Carrie asked her mother breathlessly.

"Course she was, slew 'em in the aisles," confirmed Maggie, "men all over her, tongues hanging out, women jealous one minute, looking for an introduction the next."

"There you are," confirmed Carrie to Susan, "mum always says things exactly as they are."

"Ok if you insist, I did meet an awful lot of new people and most of them seemed fine to me, even Joes's ex, she made a point of telling me telling me that I had made a good impression, and said she would like to get to know me more."

"Not what she said to me," declared the ever blunt Maggie, "Marcia told me that Susan would be all over the society pages of the Sunday papers and comparisons will be invidious."

"Surely not," interjected Susan.

"I'm afraid they might be," said Ellie, "It's a good story you see Susan, Joe's ex fiancée and his current lady meet, a picture of Marcia, a pound or two more than she was in her prime, over dressed and bejewelled standing next to you in that divine gown, with Joe between you, his preference all to obvious."

"Oh, I hadn't thought... I'm not sure I like that, in fact, I don't like that at all."

"We will have to wait and see," suggested Ellie reassuringly, "One hopes they aren't too cruel to Marcia."

Susan was unconvinced, particularly with the sincerity of Ellie's hopes, but said nothing.

Maggie detecting the undercurrent changed the subject, "Has anyone seen Joe this morning? He's usually the first to be up."

Susan broke out of her reverie and smiled, "He was fast asleep when I left him an hour or so ago, curled up in bed, he looked like a contented little boy," she added dreamily.

Maggie glanced at her mother for only a second, but the trace of Ellie's smile didn't fool Maggie, she knew that at that moment, Ellie, if she could have, would have purred.

As if on cue the subject of their chatter made his appearance, "Hi, post mortem time? he suggested accurately.

"Not really," Maggie responded, "more a self congratulations session,"

"Fair enough, you were all fantastic, Mum, you and Maggie get gold medals for organisation, Jane is going to raise a fortune for her charities on the commitments she got, and Susan, well Susan you were just the best, the very best.

"Ah, little brother," laughed Maggie, "flattery will get you anywhere."

The banter continued as the family relaxed together for the next hour or so. Then Susan's mobile rang. "Excuse me," she said, "This may take some time." Susan walked into the garden so as not to be a distraction: "Hi Lois, what's up?" Whatever it was, a slight frown appeared on Susan's brow, "Oh that's so inconvenient, couldn't he possibly manage Monday? how annoying... never mind, we'll have to make the best of it. Now give me that address again."

Susan closed the call and was thoughtful for a few seconds before rejoining the Callaghans.

"Everthing ok?" queried Joe, "You look a bit concerned."

"No no, nothing major, just very inconvenient... and," she smiled, "In a way, it's your fault. That was my lawyer from Hawksworth, Lois May, we were due to have a meeting in Sydney on Monday with my Sydney lawyers who look after the heavyweight commercial work. It's to do with WGG Joe, and the effects of the offer your firm has made. Apparently my Sydney lawyer has to be interstate first thing Monday and can only see us on Sunday. Lois is catching the plane down later this afternoon and is bringing a bunch of papers for me to read. That means I shall not be able to stay with you tonight. Lois and I are going to stay at her parents apartment at Pier1so that we can work together."

Joe was visibly disappointed, "That's a shame, I was hoping we could go somewhere... just the two of us."

"I'm sorry too Joe," but then a thought brightened Susan' face, "You could perhaps run me over there, say about five'oclock. Lois' flight won't be in until eight...so," concluded Susan innocently, "You might be able to give me a hand with this and that."

Joe understood immediately, "Oh yes, this and that, glad to help, he beamed.

It was seven thirty before Susan said goodbye to Joe, "Shame Lois' parents are overseas," he grinned, "But can't say I missed them all that much."

"I didn't either," laughed Susan, "But at least we had a couple of hours together, but now, you have to go, I want to get tidied up before she gets here."

"Ok ring me Monday, or sooner, whenever you have your business sorted out."

"I will, now give me a kiss and get going."

Joe went and Susan had just finished in the shower when Lois let herself in.

"There's been a new development since I rang," said Lois, "A guy from the Sydney Lawyers is bringing a pile more documents over in a few minutes...You and I Susan, are going to be burning the midnight oil."

Sunday morning was quiet as it usually was in Hawksworth and Maria Bunce strolled into the newsagents at ten thirty. She picked up a copy of the Sun Herald and turned straight to the society pages. "Oh," said Maria, "oh my goodness," Maria picked up the four Sun Heralds and the three Telegraphs on the shelf.

"I would like all of these," she told Mr Lee at the till.

"Goodness me, sometimes we don't sell any copies of the Sydney Sunday papers at all," said Mr Lee, "but wait a second, I'll need to keep one back I promised to deliver it to Mrs Salt."

"That's alright," replied Maria smoothly, "I'm seeing her for coffee after Church, I'll give it to her."

"Thank you so much, that's very kind of you."

Maria strode towards Café Georgios, texting a message to Diane as she went. The reply was delayed for a short while, 'there in five minutes, D.'

" Morning Service must have ended," concluded Maria as she sipped her first coffee, and a few minutes later Diane confirmed the fact as she rounded the corner.

"Good morning my dear, now what can I do for you?"

Maria passed over a copy of the paper

"Oh, Susan's on the front page, what a good picture."

"Photo shopped is my guess," suggested Maria, "They have put a studio picture onto an appropriate background.

"But look at the things they say about her! 'staggeringly lovely, put other women in the shade,' it goes on and on."

"Yes," agreed Maria, "but now turn to the gossip section... the society pages."

Diane did so, she was silent for a few moments but then " Oh dear, oh dear, poor Marcia, this is just so cruel, really Maria, the newspapers are dreadful. The poor woman."

Diane was looking at a picture of Marcia Meyer as she met Susan. It was taken from slightly behind Marcia looking upwards. It showed her ample rear exaggerated by the camera lens and in awful contrast to Susan who looked wonderful in three quarters profile. The inch high caption said it all.

"Ass meets Class."

"Who are these people Diane?"

"This is Marcia Meyer," said Diane tapping the picture, "she was Joe's fiancée eight years ago; she jilted him forty eight hours before their wedding, for another man, a very wealthy man.

"And the other woman?

"Joe's mother Ellie,"

"And is that a smile or a smirk on her face."

"I would rather not say Maria, I really would not," concluded Diane grimly: "I am flying down to Sydney myself this afternoon and will probably hear all about it. Now I must be be off myself," said Diane rising from her chair. As she made to walk away Diane turned back for a moment and smiled, "You know Maria, you really didn't need to protect Harry by intercepting my newspaper. Firstly, he never reads the Sunday paper, he says it's all rubbish."

"And secondly?

"I suspect that if I know Susan as well as I think I do, then Harry has already been told about Joe, in fact I'd bet on it."

Maria's jaw dropped, "So you know about Harry and Susan. Do you know everything Diane?"

"Oh goodness me no, but in Hawksworth, perhaps."

Harry sat in front of his computer, but he wasn't really working, his mind was still preoccupied with Trixie's bombshell: "Why didn't it occur to me, I didn't have the slightest inkling, and Trixie, I thought she wasn't the brightest spark...but she was too smart for me." Harry thought back to the evening at the Church hall and smiled at the memory, "Ambushed," he grinned to himself, "but who wouldn't want to be by Trixie. She was just so, so..."

"Daydreaming Harry," his aunts arrival interrupted him; "how are you feeling this morning? the swelling does not look quite so angry as yesterday."

"It's a bit sore, and awkward to read or use the computer, though I can see reasonably well out of that eye now; and I slept alright so can't complain, I might go for a walk later, if it doesn't get too hot."

"Hmm, well before you do, perhaps you could help me, I'm going down to Sydney this afternoon for a couple of days, to attend to some business issues with Susan Tremaine and Lois May. I have to get a few things ready, and read some papers Lois sent me, so do you think you could give me a hand by making me an early lunch, and driving me to the airport. The Sunday flight is at a rather awkward time, twelve thirty, so we do not have much time."

Harry was glad to have something to do and precisely at twelve he dropped his aunt off for her flight. "I'll be back Tuesday Harry; Susan or Lois will probably be able to give me a lift from the airport, but I'll ring you if I am stuck."

********

Joe did not hear from Susan at all on Sunday except for a very brief text in the morning to say that she was very busy but promised to see him before returning to Hawksworth. On Monday at midday John Callaghan received a call at his office. "Mr Callaghan, my name is Lois May, I am Susan Tremaines lawyer and also legal advisor to the pension fund she and Mrs Salt are involved with."

"What can I do for you?"

"Mrs Tremaine has requested an urgent meeting with you as chairman of your company, and with your son."

"And can I ask you what the subject of this meeting is?"

"That's a little awkward, Mrs Tremaine has instructed me that she specifically wants to explain herself, certain matters arising from the sale of WGG and its assets.

"Very well, how soon do you wish to see us?"

"This afternoon, after five o'clock if possible."

"Let's say six, to give ourselves a little wriggle room."

"Fine, perhaps you would like to come to us," and Lois gave him the address.

John thought long and hard after he put the phone down; "Any issues with the pension fund are resolvable...I don't think Susan would want to get involved with WGG in any ongoing way, she already knows they are inept cowboys. No, probably just concern over her developing relationship with Joe."

John put the same points to Joe who agreed, apart from wondering whether they ought to contact WGG and find out whether they could shed any light. "No," said John, "our offer to them runs out on Tuesday, so we don't want to set any hares running at this late stage; let's wait and see what Susan has to say."

Precisely at six, John and Joe arrived at Lois' apartment to find just Lois, Susan and Diane there. Both John and Joe noticed that Susan looked rather pale and a little nervous. They sat around the table in the dining room and Diane made opening comments,

"We asked you here this afternoon because we knew that you had made an offer for certain of WGG's interests, more specifically the company that Susan and her parents sold to them in 2007. Initially, our only interest arose from our responsibilities to the old Pension fund of which we remained trustees. However, in a little more than forty eight hours, events have taken a radically different turn. Technically and legally there was no necessity for this meeting, but Susan insisted, and I agree, that we would have been personally very remiss had we not explained ourselves. Now Susan will take it up from there."

Susan stood up, she bit her lip, clearly very nervous, "I may as well get straight to the point. Tomorrow WGG are due to give you their response to your takeover offer. You will receive a rejection, because we have made them a more attractive offer which has been accepted."

"What! you're kidding," burst out Joe, "You have barely had forty eight hours to think about it... we have been working on it for months."

"Hold on a moment Joe," recommended his father, "let's hear Susan out."

Susan was taken aback for a moment, and more than a little irritated with Joe's outburst, but she went on, "When we originally sold to WGG in 2007 they asked in addition for an option on the purchase of some properties we owned in a number of centres. Those properties were adjacent to others they already owned within their group. They couldn't buy ours at the time because their borrowings were already stretched beyond any sense.

"On the basis that you shouldn't give anything away for nothing, we obtained an undertaking that if ever they were to consider selling the company we would be given a conditional first option to purchase it back. The price for that option to be exercised was set at only 45% of what they had paid us. We never in our wildest imaginings thought that circumstance would ever occur. But in the wake of the Global financial crisis, WGG and their bankers asked us yesterday evening whether we would be interested in a buyback.

"That meant that your offer must have been less than 45% of the 2007 sale price. We guessed about 40%."

John acknowledged the accuracy of Susan's comment with a rueful smile.

"We really were not a willing buyer even at that price but it emerged in discussion with the banks yesterday and today that other WGG properties adjacent to ours in six different centres were also available for sale... at firesale prices... the banks really are desperate to get any WGG mortgage debt off their books as well.

"The conclusion that we eventually agreed, was that we would buy back the company for an amount fractionally less than your offer to WGG, but that we would include within the package our purchase of these six adjacent commercial properties. Frankly it is a deal all round at rock bottom prices, because the main driving force is the banks requirement at almost any cost to retire the debt.

"It would have been a good deal for you at the price you offered, but we now have the ability to consolidate very substantial commercial space in four of the six centres, in addition to taking back a business operation we already know inside out. It's the deal of a lifetime for us."

"Susan my dear," said John, "You have done extraordinarily well, congratulations."

Susan came to his side of the table and reached for the water jug. "Don't be too nice. I've been worried sick that you would be angry at being left in the dark."

Joe blurted out, "All that work, for nothing... and I've been sleeping with the enemy."

Susan slowly turned towards Joe, her face was more than pale now it was drained parchment white, and her hand shook slightly with anger, "What did you say?"

Joe tilted his chair back, his hands behind his head, he knew he was in trouble, he was cornered, "I said," he repeated levelly, "That I have been sleeping with the enemy."

Joe should have known better than to put himself off balance, in front of an angry woman holding a quart jug of iced water. The water hit him flush in the face. Unfortunately for Joe, Susan followed through and the base of the jug clipped him accidentally but firmly on the side of his nose and over his eye. He went sprawling.

Susan stood over him for a moment, aghast at what she had done, "You horrible, horrible man;" she then burst into tears, ran for the bedroom and slammed the door.

Joe staggered to his feet, "I must... he started."

"Joel Callaghan, sit down, sit down now." commanded Diane. Joe knew he was in strife when Diane used his full name. "Susan is far too upset to see you now. Lois, just go and see that Susan is alright and make sure she stays where she is until I have spoken to her. She is too distraught to deal with Joe just now."

Diane turned on Joe, "I don't know what to say to you Joe, it beggars belief that you could have been so stupid... but I think you know that already. Since you brought Susan here forty eight hours ago she has had precisely two hours sleep. She has had to bargain and deal with a team of obdurate bankers, and fools from WGG for most of that time, and all the while she was worrying herself sick, that you might think she was deceiving you."

Joe knew that every word was justified and attempted to respond, but Diane stopped him.

"No Joe, not now, I want you to go home, both you and Susan need a little time. I shall ring you within a couple of hours. And Joe," she continued in a much gentler tone, "this will all be sorted out, just leave it too me."

"Come on Joe, time for us to go," John propelled his son to the door.

Just at that moment Lois re-entered the room, she glanced at Joe, "That black eye is going to be a doozy... She grinned for a moment, "I'd offer you an ice pack... but you seem to have used the ice already!"

As things turned out, it was little more than an hour when Diane telephoned, she only spoke to Joe for a few minutes and it was she who did the talking and Joe the listening.

"You are quite clear about the time and place?"