Elizabeth at War Ch. 03 - Secrets

Story Info
Recovering missing memories, Elizabeth goes back.
3.5k words
3.38
2.7k
3
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MacHardy
MacHardy
41 Followers

General Charteris stood up as Stan rolled the wheelchair into the formal, stark office. Elizabeth took in the sparse furniture, the monastic decorations, a few combat souvenirs.

A few moments of small talk, then the general touched a folder on his desk.

"Mrs Durr, you played a key role in blocking a serious infiltration in the defence industry. I appreciate your sacrifices and regret the death of your colleagues. But tell us, what made you suspect them? Their tracks were so well hidden. We suspected something was going on, for a while, but you seemed to have gone straight to the core of the problem."

She smiled weakly. "People tell you these things, if you listen."

***

The CEO was not very pleased with their presence, but her manner was open. "Mr Willis, Ms Durr, you are welcome. I invited you to meet my team, the men who report to me. You will find them ready to carry out the Board's wishes, and willing to open their books and their departments to you. Gentlemen, the Board wants an independent report to explain the relatively slow growth of our group. You will see, Mr Willis, that the economic conjuncture has more to do with that. We feel that we have, in fact, done rather well under the circumstances."

Her eyes flickered over Elizabeth, dismissing her, focusing on John. "Our strength is based on our technology, but above all on our leadership. I have strong, assertive, dominating men working for me, men who can impose their will on situations and on their teams. Let me introduce them around the table, and then you can tell us how you wish to proceed. And I would like to invite you to attend a more relaxed and convivial meeting of my team and some of our associates in a few days' time."

Afterwards, back in their offices, John asked: "Any interesting observations?"

Elizabeth shook her head. "Of course they resent us interfering into their affairs. The decision was imposed by the Board, they are all confident that they are doing well. And the figures do not show that. In fact several units are losing money while the competition is making profits. But what I find intriguing is the reference to her appointees being dominating men, who can impose themselves. Strange use of words, don't you think?''

"Perhaps just a turn of phrase?"

***

Dave Benz was a little drunk. The Chief Financial Officer had spent a long day with Elizabeth, examining the statements of one of the plants, and he was pumped up about something. Elizabeth drew him out. "So you are satisfied with the performance? Everything seemed accounted for."

Dave placed a proprietary hand on her arm. "My dear, you would have seen, everything balanced to perfection. Not a cent out of place. Everything matched the predictions. I tell you, when I say jump, people jump. When I say perform, they perform. Even our respected CEO."

The car droned on, the driver attentive at the wheel, but in the back the atmosphere was expansive. Dave had produced drinks, and was insisting on Elizabeth having a refill, which she managed to spill discreetly. She asked: "Isn't it unusual for books to balance so perfectly? After all, you are dealing with a fluid situation."

He rambled on about the importance of imposing your will on the market, and not let the market impose itself on you. "As with women, don't you think? One has to impose, I believe."

She smiled sweetly. "Which is why I studied martial arts. But tell me, Mr Benz, are you satisfied that the profit margins are as good as the company claims? I thought some others in the same sector were showing better returns?"

He hesitated for a second, then: "Do not let that bother you. Apples and oranges. We are the best, we are the biggest. Of course they make better returns off a low base, but in volume... So, tell me about yourself? Just finished studies?"

She shook her head. "I've been around for a few years since graduating. And you, you came in from outside the group, I believe?"

He nodded. "I have a banking background, mostly in international banking. Saw the world. Spent some time in Japan, Europe, various banks there. Over-regulated, no room for initiative. Then Sondra headhunted me, if you want to use that expression. We hit it off, she liked my style, and the rest is history."

"You do seem to get on well with her, that's important."

"She respects me, see? She knows I have the company under control, firm hands on the reins, as it were. Firmness engenders respect. And she knows I have firm hands." He laughed, sat back satisfied.

***

The interview was at an end. Elizabeth completed the questionnaire, had the manager sign it off, and pushed back the file.

"That concludes our work, Mr Jones. Thank you for your cooperation, I am sure your inputs will be useful for the better management of the company. Was there anything else you wanted to add, informally?"

He grinned. "It was a pleasure being interviewed by such a charming person."

She smiled. "But not nearly as charming as your CEO, I'm sure. She recruited you, if I'm not mistaken."

"She did. I made her an offer she could not refuse, in a manner of speaking."

Elizabeth smiled invitingly. "Sounds intriguing. You knew her socially then?"

"In fact, yes. We met at the place of a mutual friend. A private party, and we hit it off."

"It's important that people who work together should understand each other."

He grinned. "I agree. Can I buy you a drink?"

She frowned, looked at her watch. "I have an appointment just now, but I can make time for one."

He settled into the nook and clinked glasses with her. "Towards better understanding."

They drank, and he continued: "You are not interested in joining us at one of these parties? We are a group of like-minded people who get together and have fun."

She smiled over her glass, aware of the recorder running in her handbag. "Sounds interesting. Depends on what you consider to be fun, of course."

He sat closer, a conspiratorial look on his face. "Some private amusements, shall we say? Mutual pleasure?"

"Oh, like swingers? Don't they usually invite couples?"

He waved her question away with a hand. "That's so suburban. No, we have fun with pushing some limits. Some bondage and so on. You have heard of that?"

She nodded. "Of course. That can be interesting. How far do they push things?"

He smiled at her understanding. "As far as you like it."

"And how far do you like it?"

"Well, I'm not too keen on being at the receiving end, but I do get some kicks out of whipping people, you know."

She nodded. "I see. Yes, that can be arousing."

He drank again. "But I'm more for the waterworks, to be honest"

She frowned, and he looked around, then whispered: "Pissing on people, you know. I know many women like that, and it's great, pissing on someone who pretends they're all high and mighty. Like our esteemed Sondra. That's why she recruited me, you see."

***

The tour of the assembly plant ended in an echoing hangar where several of the armament products were exhibited. Tables laden with snacks awaited them and cocktails loosened tongues. Soon the formalities and hierarchical tenseness vanished. John found kindred spirits with whom to discuss engineering complexities and Elizabeth observed from a distance.

One of the research team came up and offered a plate of snacks. She took one gratefully and asked: "I understood you are part of the design team? What area do you specialise in?"

He grinned, his dark complexion and rugged good looks charming and a little daunting. "Let's say I am a coordinator. Their design work was all over the place, and Sondra brought me in to take the reins, so to speak. So you can say I am the guy who whips them into line. Some people need that, don't you think?"

She smiled. "It must be very complicated, all the technical detail. Most of the people are engineers or accountants, it seems. Do you have technical training?"

He smiled, getting close to her. "I leave engineering to the engineers. I am a manager. The guy who rides the horse, so to speak. I see where things should go and tell the technical guys to find ways to get there. I coordinate, I impose my will on them. Do you understand? Sondra felt they needed some prodding, some leadership. I can show you what I mean, a little later tonight."

She frowned. "I regret, we have another engagement later. Dinner with the CEO of another company."

He grinned. "Just cancel it. There's your boss talking to Sondra, I'll tell him you are staying. I'll fix him up with someone. What sort of girl does he prefer? We have all sorts here. Does he like it rough?"

She gave a little smile and shook her head. "He is well able to get any company he would prefer, when he prefers. I was going to ask you about the new design software the company is looking at. Someone said it was going to be a game changer. So how would a program make such a difference?"

He shook his head. "Let me assure you we will be the best. Just watch the engineers perform once they get the toys they want and get put under the right sort of pressure. I can show you some toys..."

She smiled and said: "I see my boss is talking to Sondra, please excuse me."

John was talking to the CEO of the group. She glanced at Elizabeth, then ignored her. They were talking about technical aspects of the business, then she changed subject.

"You will join us later tonight? We have a little celebration, just a select group, a little fun and games. I see you have your own playmate."

John smiled. "It would have been interesting, but we have other engagements. Maybe next time?"

Sondra took him by the arm. "Come, I'm sure you can postpone your commitments. She looks like one can have fun with her. Come and let your hair down a little."

A man with white hair, clad in a dark suit, approached, taking Sondra by the shoulder. "So, dear, will your friends join us? It promises to be a good night."

Elizabeth watched his hand slide along her shoulder, touch her throat. Her eyes dilated, her breath caught. John answered. "I regret, Mr.... Unfortunately we were not aware of the event, and we really have another engagement. Perhaps next time?"

Sondra snapped back into CEO mode and was asking John about the report, what else was needed, financial details, the next board meeting. Elizabeth watched, noted the white haired man's hand on Sondra's neck, his eyes watching her, undressing her. Then he abruptly turned away and started talking to Dave.

***

John sat back in his comfortable chair, steepling his fingers. "So, you put together a strange picture of a Chief Executive Officer who likes to be dominated by her people. Rather unusual, wouldn't you say?"

Elizabeth shook her head, sending her strawberry blonde hair swirling. "Not all her people, only a small selected group she had chosen. All in key positions. Chief financial officer, chief technology development coordinator. The other day Benz was very pumped up after our visit to look at the books. I had someone, a forensic accountant, look over the books. Benz thought he got away with a glaring hole in the accounts. There were payments made with no, or duplicated supporting documents. Rather big amounts. We do not have the ability to track those, but there would be someone who can. Clear fraud, as far as I can see. I will have it all ready to present to the Board by, when again, two weeks' time?"

John nodded. "Let me check with Sondra how the report should be tabled."

***

John walked a little ahead as Tim Stanford, Personal Assistant to the CEO, led them down the stairs. Elizabeth took John's arm. "I am worried, John. She took it far too calmly. I know you couched the report in unemotional terms, but for a CEO to be told her company's problems are due to her bad management, that is not an easy thing to take. She might try to get at the board before we present the findings next week."

John nodded. "That's possible. Still, there's not much she can do, is there?"

Tim had been chatting to Dolly, carried her bag and files. Now he came up and said: "I'm sorry, it looks like the limo has been delayed. Let me stand you a cup of coffee while I find out what's going on."

He put the bag and files on a vacant table, waved to a harried waiter who took their orders, then began to turn away. Turning back he sniffed. "Rather strange smell here, we need an air freshener, I think."

Elizabeth noted that he suddenly had a surgical glove on his right hand and was drawing an unmarked canister from an inside pocket. She half-turned her head away as the contents sprayed into the air. As she felt the world around her collapse she saw Dave Benz direct a man with a surgical mask towards them. And then she remembered nothing.

***

The pool embraced three little shrieking naked bodies. Sunitra caught them and hugged them to her, then send them back to the side.

"Mommy, I made a bomb! I'm going to do it again! Watch me!"

Bill grinned to Elizabeth. "When are you going to do that?"

She smiled weakly. "It's going to take some time. I'm working on it, but I still find missing parts of my mind and body. Stan, do they know what we were given?"

Stan sipped at his drink. "The scientists are still arguing. There's a leak from a source, a deep source, of a substance that can shut down the brain like that. We know nothing more. We have some half-clear information on research in similar areas. But all of them insist that even a partial dose should be enough to close down all brain processes. All of them are unanimous, you should not have made it."

Terry had a protective arm around Elizabeth's shoulders. "She has hidden resources. My Elizabeth is a fighter, a winner."

Stan raised his glass. "That she is. Look, guys, just to give you a short rundown of the progress. Bill, don't worry, I won't reveal any classified secrets you don't know already. In any case I have been told Elizabeth is not interested in the sordid details, and I respect that. But I have to put you on warning, young lady. There is an offer on the way for your company to act for classified Management audits. We know everything had run down with John's death, but you need to think about restarting. Your expertise and qualifications are needed. So, in short, of course they denied everything from the get-go. Then the board was given the report, based on the draft in your Brown Goat file, complete with the audit reports and surveillance reports on Dave Benz and his cronies. Sondra's team, as they called themselves.

"What we did not give them was a report by a friendly service, once we knew enough to put in a request, on Mr Benz' visits overseas, and his contacts with a foreign intelligence service. And in addition the additional financial tracking we were able to do produced an interesting money trail to some unexpected people. So we were able to roll up almost the entire network. Serious restructuring work is going on to save the whole group, several people are looking at time behind bars. Mr Benz will enjoy his experience in restraint therapy until these kids are ready to go to college. All that remains is for me to say thank you. General Charteris wants to thank you in person, if you are up to it."

Elizabeth sat still, almost as if she had heard nothing. Terry was the one to respond. "I think she did what she saw as her duty. And we have to thank you for your protection program and the medical services. But it is great to be back in our own place."

Stan stood to leave when Elizabeth put a hand on his arm. "Sondra?"

Stan shook his head. "Someone, probably Benz, used the same spray on her. She was dead when they found her at her apartment. She probably knew more than we ever will."

Elizabeth's eyes were closed in pain. Bill took her hand and whispered: "Breathe, come now, breathe."

She shook her head. 'What moved her to go that road? What happened to her? She was a little girl like Sammy, she was an innocent freshman as I was. So what happened that a brilliant person like her became a victim of people like that?"

Sunitra, sensing the tensions, sent the little ones to fetch their towels, and gave Elizabeth a soppy wet hug. "My chela, let it sink in, let the thought become part of your thoughts. Remember your breathing. Let your subconscious digest the pain. It is over now. Come, breathe."

Elizabeth nodded, drew a deep breath, but said: "It is not over. Someone, somewhere, made her what she was. That someone is still there."

***

General Charteris was in an ebullient mood. "So, Mrs Durr, the nightmare is all over. We have them all rolled up, the overseas links burned, everything under control. You may rest assured that there is no more threat to you and your family. We will maintain a nominal security surveillance just in case, but you can rest assured. Once again, thank you. Stan has been commended and we have a nice new challenge for him, as long as he treats my daughter right. She has been complaining of too many lonely nights."

"Daughter?" Elizabeth looked from one to the other. Charteris laughed, pouring coffee. "He is married to my daughter. They served together, came under fire. She was wounded, he dragged her out and, as they say, the rest is history. In any case, our story is concluded. A new case officer will make contact in due course, and we can start getting your operation together and see where we can use you."

Elizabeth shook her head. "My operation, General. Thank you for any help, but it will be my operation. And there is..."

She frowned, tried to get her thoughts together. "They won't line up, but I need to tell you. We... Our future. Stan, help. What do I want to say?"

Stan touched her arm. "Relax, Elizabeth. Breathe deeply, let the thoughts come. What future?"

She sighed out some tension, seemed to swallow. "Ours. Us, I mean. All of us. I must... There are more of them. I must find them. Sondra... she was part of a... what do you call it? Spider?"

Charteris grinned and reached over to pat her hand. "Network? Don't worry, my girl, we found all of them and we rolled up the whole network. We had some of the best professionals in five services look into it."

She shook her head. "No, there are others. I saw... The pattern... We must..."

Stan saw she was getting agitated and stepped in. "Elizabeth, relax. You don't need to do everything yourself. There are people who are trained to do that, and..."

Elizabeth leant back but insisted: "They are trained wrong. They don't know people. We have to... They will come for us, for Sammy, Sweety, Danny. We must act first."

Stan took a deep breath. "Say what you want for female intuition, General, but I believe she may be right. She has an amazing way to see beneath the surface. The military mind is well-trained, but for us rigidity is a virtue. Her brilliance lies in flexibility, adaptability, fluidity. Right, Elizabeth?"

Elizabeth nodded, but Charteris remained unconvinced. "I will keep your sentiments in mind, my dear, but I am sure there is no threat. Just rest easy and let us handle it. Stan, you will see her out?"

Afterwards he asked Stan: "Is she going to be Ok?"

Stan nodded. "She is very resilient. She will work through it and probably come up with a surprising conclusion in the end. But if you wanted to ask about her health, short answer is, they don't know. On the surface she has recovered completely, but ever so often something goes wrong. The spray shut down her brain activity completely, except for something very basic and primitive. Somehow she has rebuilt everything and her body has been able to re-learn almost everything. But sometimes some break in the system shows up. Sometimes something in her logical patterns, sometimes she is just unable to perform a simple action. She seems to have simplified her thinking in some ways. The medical support staff are keeping records, but they are also not able to predict what will happen."

MacHardy
MacHardy
41 Followers
12