Elizabeth at War Ch. 08 - Management

Story Info
The Spider re-appears.
6k words
5
1.1k
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MacHardy
MacHardy
41 Followers

Stan and McCall walked through the management secretarial space, deep in discussion. Elizabeth followed behind, dutifully clutching a notebook, a laptop bag slung over her shoulder. The board meeting had been instructive, and she had noted the almost stilted conversation between McCall and a few of the other directors. She had noted the names of the three men who were involved, and she wondered how to link them into the possibility of leakage of information.

McCall had given her a penetrating look when they had arrived. Her reaction was to play the demure secretary, looking down and checking her notepad, her pens and files. Now, in the elevator, he had sidled close to her, then turned to Stan. "She is up to some fun, this one?"

Stan pretended not to understand. "She is a very good, professional secretary, yes. We try to keep our fun apart from business. Now the decision to terminate research into the ultra-high speed aerodynamics seem to me..."

At the entrance to the MD's office McCall stopped by his secretary's desk.

"We have ten minutes before the Director's Lunch, Mavis. Mr Best and I will go over a few figures he wanted clarified. Will you show his secretary to the cafeteria? I'm sure she would love the food there. Our lunch should not take more than two hours today. A word when you bring in the appetisers."

She knew Stan's body language and knew he would handle the lunch, and of course he had a micro-recorder in his lapel. She nodded and said: "I'll start outlining a report for you, Mr Best, and I'll be waiting here when you are done, sir. Enjoy the lunch and remember to avoid the fatty food."

The men grinned and went into the office. Mavis curtly gave Elizabeth directions to the cafeteria, she clearly did not like competition on her home ground.

Elizabeth piled a few things on her tray and saw a girl alone at a corner table. A double take, and she sat down with her. "Jessica? Is it you? Who would have..."

The girl looked up and her face brightened with recognition. "Elizabeth! Oh, what a nice surprise! It's been so long!"

For a few seconds they chatted as if no time had passed, then Elizabeth asked: "So, Jessica, what do you do here?"

From the corner of her eye she saw Maria da Silva pushing a trolley, pausing to wipe the tables but keeping a sharp eye on things.

Something in Jessica's eyes cringed and she looked away. "I'm known as Nancy here, ok? And I help the CEO with... with stuff. And the directors... I can't tell you. But you..."

Elizabeth sensed the fear and confusion. "Oh, I work with a company that does due diligence surveys, you know? We do auditing, checking on compliance, routine sort of stuff. Dreadfully boring."

She tried hard to put Jessica at ease, but she saw the fear growing and turning into terror in the girl's eyes. She stood up. "Hey, it was good seeing you again. We must have a chat, ok?"

Jessica nodded, left her tray still half full, and rushed out and up the stairs. Elizabeth frowned, then whispered to Maria: "Get Nunes to check out for a girl known as Nancy, taking the stairs up. I think she is headed to the CEO's floor."

Then she alerted the outside team to keep a lookout for the girl, ate her lunch in deep thought, and returned to McCall's office.

Mavis grudgingly allowed her some space to set up her laptop. It took only a few minutes to access the company's database. The HR system did not list a Jessica or a Nancy, the CEO's staff did not have any unaccounted-for staff. Strange.

Nunes sent a terse answer, and the outside team notified: "Target acquired."

Back at the safe house the debriefing took place with everyone present. Stan insisted on a proper agenda and reported on the board meeting and his observations.

"The Director's lunch was a little strained, as if they expected something that did not materialise. As if they were used to something, and I was stopping them. But apart from that there was nothing to report. McCann is a strange sort. Enormous mind, tremendous focus, a hard driving man. Single minded, but sometimes he goes off in a direction that leaves you wondering. Still, everything checks out, everything is what it is supposed to be. Elizabeth?"

She nodded. "I agree. All is just too perfect. At the Board meeting there were a lot of undercurrents, as if the meeting was staged. There are four, including McCann, who are in on something. Mrs Isabella DeSoto is the only woman on the board and seemed totally isolated. She might know what is going on there. Terry, you might be able to pick up on that one. I have a list of items that should be checked, where I think they are lying. Then there was Jessica. Just as I remembered her, but much more muscled, less puppy fat, and a strange, frightened look in her eyes. She went to pieces after a few minutes, as if she was terrified of me, of something. And she is nowhere on the staffing table."

Nunes nodded. "I picked her up as she was going out of the cubicle farm. There are a lot of girls in there, all at workstations, so I could not see where she came from. But all the occupied cubicles had personal stuff, like notes, photos, things. There were three unoccupied ones, one computer was warm. I cleared the bin, but I think the papers there are useless. I noted the terminal number, for what that would be worth."

Jenny nodded. "And we have to report failure. We were ready for her when she left, got a few good photos. She walked to the corner and was picked up by a limo. We were badly positioned to follow, but managed to pick them up a few blocks away. Then we lost them in one of the upmarket suburbs, we could not follow closely enough to see exactly where they went in. Tammy can burgle the houses in the area, but that's going to take a fair amount of time. We are going to need some cover for that if she gets picked up."

Tammy snorted. "Nonsense, I'm not going to get picked up. This sort of thing is easy, it just takes a little time to check out all the houses. I estimate there are about twelve likely ones."

Nunes nodded. "Better not get picked up, it is not going to be fun bailing you out without raising all sorts of alarms. I can check those addresses for you against the police database, that might eliminate a few."

Terry nodded. "Some more time consuming work. Nothing else to do. We can farm out some of that. Now back to the other stuff: Our database searches are getting interesting data, but there is still too much uncertainty for the moment. We will feed in Elizabeth's observations as well. Some more footslogging, but that is what you would say a policeman's work entails, Nunes?"

The detective nodded. "That is what it takes. Unless something falls in our laps. Maria?"

Maria da Silva nodded. "We are also still trawling. Sunitra and Bill had their first session with a swinger's group yesterday, I guess she will report on that. I have a rumour that there is some sort of big kink thing coming up, but the passive approach is not working fast enough."

Ramon now raised a hand. "Just an idea. You remember the puta said their people had links with some drug cartel? She spoke of a cartel guy carrying a girl off to Mexico? I imagine links with the drug world would be standard procedure. I did some work in Columbia once, I still have a few contacts there. I could set myself up as a visitor from there, get myself in with the local guys, see about picking up a few girls for down south, what do you think?"

Jenny was going to turn the idea down, but both Nunes and da Silva thought it would be a good idea. "I can help with that. We had something going with one of the local gangs, but we never followed through. We had a backdoor into their communication system. It should not be too difficult to insert a message warning of a visiting fireman from Colombia, accrediting him and asking for support. There would be a lot of information in the sewers. Maria can pose as his companion, his escort. He would need a bodyguard, Charles might be a good one."

Jenny raised a hand. "We are going to have to plan this carefully. No risks that we don't need to take. Can we have some backup in case the police arrests Ramon?"

Nunes laughed. "Perhaps we should get him arrested, that would do his cover a lot of good. Look, with the pull you guys gave me I could have a backup team of SWAT people standing by, but they will not do any surgical stuff, ok? If they get the word they will smash their way in, take down anyone showing resistance, and round up everyone they can find."

General laughter ensued. Terry asked Sunitra to carry on. She smiled and said: "I am thinking of relocating here, you know. We have had two sessions, and while there are a lot of weirdos there are also many people hungry for some form of connection, of finding sense in an increasingly sterile world. However, we have had no indication of any sinister undertones so far. The second group had some serious businesspeople in it. A few were interested in soft sado-masochism. Mild bondage, a bit of spanking, but no sense of a seeking to control, to use people. Not more than the ordinary, that is. But I had contact with Damien, Maria found out about him. He was evasive, which means there is something to evade."

Elizabeth asked: "Any idea what it would take for him to stop evading?"

Maria answered. "He is a kinky bastard, that one. Used to be a bagman for Maurice, then branched out on his own, a long time ago. Nothing we could ever pin on him, but human trafficking is the least. He has links in to all sorts of gangs, the drug business not least. Like all of them money and power are the drawcards. Perhaps a desire to impress a Colombian visitor might work?"

***

The strip joint showed its age in the harsh afternoon light. Last night's alcohol, cheap perfume and the odour of sweaty bodies hung in the air. Damien looked askance at Ramon who pinched out a French cigarette and sat down without being invited. His eyes took in the expensive suit, the wiry body, the hooded eyes, then travelled to where Charles had taken up position, just right to interdict anyone entering the room, but also ready to react if Damien's two musclemen would do anything unacceptable.

"So, you are the visitor we have been told of. Well, how do you get on with your local agents?"

Ramon looked at him blankly, his lips drawn in a sneer.

"I don't deal with agents, I deal with principals. If you want to know how Sergei and Pablo are doing, why not ask them? I have no interest in their operations and they know it. Do I look like I am stupid? A gang war would benefit nobody."

Damien nodded. "A wise way of looking at things. A drink?"

Ramon ordered a single malt with just a dash of water, sipped appreciatively and nodded. "Speaks to my blood."

Damien raised an eyebrow and Ramon laughed. "One of my great-grandfathers fought with Bolivar. A Scottish veteran from Wellington's wars. So I inherited a taste for the finest from the highlands. Makes a nice story, no?"

Damien looked impassively, trying to assess the man before him. Ramon was surveying the room with obvious distaste. Then he looked at Damien with eyes like razors. "Having fun, fat man? You seem bored. This place of yours is a shithole, man. Come out with me, live a little. Last week I was in Venice. What a place. Picked up a little Italian there, you could crush her in one hand. But lively, my god! She and her sister made the flight home worthwhile. My Capo's brother likes them. Enough. Can we work together?"

Damien gulped. The challenge in the man's voice was clear. "Yes, I think we may be able to do something. I was told to help you out. What exactly do you want?"

Ramon smiled. "What every man wants. Some nice girls. We are a little fucked out back home. So we need some variety, some new blood. And some of my brothers have a little difficulty coming to enjoy your fleshpots, see?"

Damien nodded, looked at one of his bouncers. "Tell Sam to send the girls in. We have a few from the east block, they might interest you."

A half dozen girls trooped in, paraded in high heels and scanty underwear. Damien snapped fingers and one began to gyrate to a pole. Ramon curled a lip and asked: "Really? This is the best? Why, the bordellos of Cartagena have better. You are joking with me?"

Damien frowned. "They are exceptionally well trained, but that takes time and so they are not the youngest. That one will give you a blowjob that will make your hair curl. You want?"

Ramon shook his head. "My hair is already curly, you may have noticed. Blowjobs are really an American fashion, but some of my brothers like it. No, they are looking for intelligent, young, tall girls, Americans with big tits. No Asians, we have enough in Peru and Brazil. Blondes are better. Now, you have? Also I need some fun, some anticipation. Entertainment, you say? My uncle is a little old, he needs something to look at as the evening goes on, until he can get it up and plant his seed."

"Dancers? No? Ok, does his taste run to something a little harder? Bondage? That sort of thing?"

Ramon nodded. "Maybe. Some of his sons like that. He may have had enough of that, at heart he is a romantic. Soft music.... See what you can dream up. I will call you."

***

Old money was evident in every aspect of the house. From the gate-house through the manicured gardens to the well-appointed reception area luxury, tradition and good taste prevailed. A young man in a smart business suit entered silently and told Terry: "Mrs DeSoto will be here in a few moments. She is on a call that is taking longer than expected. Can we offer you a drink?"

A few moments later Isabella DeSoto appeared. She was dressed casually, in a dark, expensive outfit with just a hint of colour showing. She did not offer a hand to shake and there was no hint of warmth in her voice.

"Mr Durr, you asked to meet me. How would a construction enterprise in the Mid-west be interested in our investment portfolio?"

He smiled inwardly. She was not anybody's fool. "Thank you for the opportunity to meet, Mrs DeSoto. As you know I represent a small construction group and my family holds shares in a few other enterprises. Some of our interests can benefit, or at least so our advisors say, by expanding to this area, and into sectors you are active in. A mutual acquaintance suggested you may be able to give us some advice and perhaps feel inclined to partner with us. To be more specific we are getting involved in electronics manufacturing through a tech start-up in my home state. You are well invested in that industry and it was thought you may be interested,"

She nodded. "I saw from the documents you sent that you have some interesting products under research. Let it be clear: Edward recommended you, but does not know you personally. I checked with him, and in any case I would not make an investment on someone's say-so, not even someone like Edward. So I will be conducting a thorough due diligence if you interest me."

Terry smiled. "I would expect nothing less, Mrs DeSoto. You will find that our documentation and activities are all on board. What I would really appreciate is an indication of the style of business, the feeling of how things operate here and in this sector. You are on a number of boards, your group is widely spread. We have had preliminary contacts with a few of those and one of them worries me a little."

She sat straighter. "You are of course aware of rules around confidentiality. I can add little to the documentation you would have received from any of the companies we are invested in."

He nodded again. "I am quite aware of any limitations and confidentiality agreements, Mrs DeSoto. I did take some time to research the proud tradition of your family, from your great-grandfather's selling general provisions to prospectors and miners, to the investments in the railroads and shipping sector. As a young investor from inland I hope to learn from you and at the same time bring some new blood into the region. Can you help us?"

He thought there was a tinge of softening in her attitude, but it was hard to read the proud face. She thought for a moment, then bent to touch a control beside her chair. A door opened and the young man appeared. She looked at Terrey and said: "You will take a glass of sherry with me. The manzanilla, Timothy."

A moment later two glasses on a silver tray appeared. Terry sipped appreciatively and sighed. "I am no expert, Mrs DeSoto, but I tasted something like this in Spain once. Not quite what one finds here these days, is it?"

She granted him a hint of a smile. "I have a small cellar in the valley where they are trying to make something like this, but I expect it would be decades before we are anywhere near success."

He tasted again. "They say it is in the yeast. Can one really duplicate that? And the name is not at all familiar to me."

She did give a little smile. "No, the yeast cannot be replicated, but we can try to approach the original. This used to be the preserve of the Spanish Royal family, but some may be found with the right connections."

Terry sipped again. "I can imagine that a royal palate might appreciate this better than my uneducated one. Thank you for this, it already makes my visit worthwhile. Some research for me, I think."

She looked at him, sat in silence for a long while, then nodded. "I think we can work together, Mr Durr. I can introduce you to several financiers in the specific sector, and we might look into your activities for my family. I have a young cousin, Clifford, who is all for electronics, but he has saddled us with a few less than ideal partners. I am trying to extricate us from a few of these, not a pleasant task. Let us agree: I cannot expose the inner workings of the companies I am a director of, but if you give me a few names I can tell you which ones to avoid."

Terry handed a list of company names and she perused them in silence. Then she handed it back. "Most of them are good, solid companies. I think Cally, Donaldson and Temex would not interest you. They are big, stolid and set in their ways. Not that they don't need new ideas, but change is not going to come easily for them. T&S may be interesting, as would New Dawn. McCall and Telsom I cannot recommend."

"Why not? I heard McCall is well positioned with the latest technology developments?"

Her face was closed. "I cannot recommend that you get involved there. Can we just leave it at that?"

Terry frowned. "Well, I will consider your advice. New Dawn looked a little lightweight."

She nodded, a smile breaking through again. "I know why you think that. Suffice it to say they know how to run with new ideas, and how to do business with a sense of integrity. If you decide to go with them keep me informed, but you should not take too long to move."

Terry folded the list. "I must thank you for your time, advice, and this delightful sherry, Mrs DeSoto. If you will allow I will keep you posted as our decisions develop. And if you should venture into construction...."

She gave a cool smile. "I will keep you in mind should that improbable event occur, Mr Durr. Who knows."

***

The new safe house had a pool and a deck made for a barbecue. Nunes was in the company of an attractive blonde woman with a lush body and penetrating eyes. He introduced her to the group: "Guys, someone here is in trouble. Samantha Watchett is with the drug unit, she is on the tracks of a notorious Colombian smuggler who is planning to get into this territory."

Ramon made to hide behind the petite Maria da Silva. "I'm not him! I'm not here! Please, Maria, save me!"

Maria made a performance of handcuffing Ramon. Charles danced around the two women, mouthing: "Capo, please, I am outnumbered. Forgive me, I cannot protect you..."

Samantha grinned in embarrassment. "Hey, guys, stop clowning. Pleased to meet you, Ramon. Your cover seems to be holding. I have a number of informants who are bringing me whispers about you and about what you may want to do. Most bought the story that you are on a holiday and looking for women to take back with you. But be careful. Sergio is not convinced and is trying to stake you out."

MacHardy
MacHardy
41 Followers
12