Elizabeth Bennet Considers

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Charlotte, truly rejoicing in the match, was glad to be able to plead the desirability of a mother's assistance in a first confinement as an excuse for returning to Meryton. Mr. Collins, too, confessed to a pleasant anticipation of release from the weekly labour of composing a sermon. He found it tedious, he said, always to be consulting the homiletical works of the great divines of the previous century. The labour of copying their sermons in longhand before preaching them, he informed his listeners, was quite dreadful.

Mr. Bennet, upon hearing this complaint of tedium, privately shared with his second daughter, his opinion that the ennui of Mr. Collins was likely considerably exceeded by that of his listeners.

It was with some surprise, therefore, when at dinner in Longbourn, that Mr. Collins intimated to his fellow guests, that he had accepted an invitation from the Rector of the parish to preach in Longbourn church the following Sunday.

"For," he said, I thought it my duty as a clergyman of the Church of England, and a man blessed with domestic happiness, soon to be symbolized by the gift of a young olive branch, to offer my advice to those about to enter the halls of highest human happiness. I mean marriage," he explained to Mrs. Bennet, who looked puzzled as to his intent.

"It would be wrong, I consider, to withhold the fruits of my experience from my fair cousins and their noble admirers at such a time. Therefore I have agreed to take on this task for you."

Bingley merely looked appalled but Mr. Darcy smoothly said, "I value your goodwill on this occasion, sir, and would doubtless profit from your instruction. But a friend from Cambridge days has just been presented to a valuable living in Huntingdonshire. I promised him that I would come to hear him preach on Sunday."

Elizabeth was of the opinion that this engagement, of which she was now hearing for the first time, had been formed so suddenly for the sole purpose of avoiding the doubtfully edifying pleasure of attending to Mr. Collins' sermon. She greatly envied this example of the freedom of the male gender to come and to go as it wished. No similar excuse would be available to her, she feared.

Speaking as much to Elizabeth as to Mr. Collins, Mr. Darcy continued apologetically. "My friend works very hard on his sermons, labouring over every word, and has told me he would value my comment on one of his addresses."

Mr. Collins looked surprised, "He writes his own sermons? Not in the best traditions of the Church of England, surely?"

"Ahh," said Mr. Bennet soothingly, "but you must remember he is a Cambridge graduate and as such must need more effort. As an Oxford man, you are spared the necessity of such labours. It is well known that Oxford men are able to discourse at length with little thought and no preliminary preparation."

Mr. Collins was visibly pleased by this compliment, but Elizabeth who knew that her father, like Mr. Darcy, was a Cambridge man, doubted that he had caught the full meaning of Mr. Bennet's words.

As the dinner party passed into the drawing room after dinner, Elizabeth took the opportunity to whisper in Mr. Darcy's ear. "Coward!" she said, with an arch smile. Mr. Darcy looked as if he were trying not to smile in return and, upon being addressed by Mrs. Bennet, succeeded without difficulty.

As it happened, Mr. Collins' sermon was harder to endure than even Elizabeth had expected. He spoke at length of a wife's duty of submission to her husband, particularly where the husband was of higher rank than the wife.

"Unlike my own dear wife, some young women," declaimed Mr. Collins, "are not fully cognizant of the condescension of a high ranked gentleman in offering to share his life with her. Such women may even exhibit a shameful levity in their relations with their husbands, thinking that a false charm and easy wit excuse their lack of proper submission to their husbands."

Elizabeth, who knew full well where this shot was aimed, thought it a great pity that Mr. Collins had departed in this instance from his stated practice of depending on the sermons of others. This address, she knew, was Mr. Collins' own composing.

Charlotte had been invited to share the Rectory pew and Elizabeth could see that she sat rigid and unmoving through this display by her husband, only a faint redness on the back of her neck beneath her bonnet betraying her emotions. Elizabeth's father merely squeezed her hand gently and raised his left eyebrow in amusement at some of Mr. Collins' more turgid sentences.

"A very fine effort indeed, Mr. Collins!" declared Mr. Bennet, at the church door. "If there are any bold young women in this neighbourhood of the character you are hinting at, I am sure they will know exactly how they should value your words." And, shaking Mr. Collins hand warmly, he passed out into the sunshine, followed by Elizabeth and Jane, who spoke not a word but only nodded their heads in acknowledgment of the preacher.

The sermon and indeed Mr. Darcy's absence from Longbourn, had one unexpected benefit, however. On Monday morning, as soon as visiting by ladies could be considered proper, Charlotte walked to Longbourn and invited Elizabeth to stroll with her alone in a quiet part of the garden. It was the very spot, Elizabeth recalled, of the memorable interview with Lady Catherine de Bourgh. Charlotte immediately, though haltingly, explained that she wished to apologize to Elizabeth for yesterday's sermon, which, she declared, had filled her with shame.

Elizabeth was privately of the opinion that her friend Charlotte had worse things to endure in marriage than an embarrassing sermon but that very thought reminded her that Charlotte might be a valuable source of information with respect to those questions which preoccupied her. Charlotte did, after all, share a marriage bed, no matter how unappetizing her partner might be, and surely she would answer Elizabeth's questions. Elizabeth made her best effort to lessen her friend's mortification and, as soon as politely possible, began to question her friend on the subject of her true interest.

Whatever might have been Charlotte's reluctance to reply on another occasion, to Elizabeth's request for instruction, she could refuse her friend nothing after such a display by her husband.

"On my back," said Charlotte in response to Elizabeth's first question. "Mr. Collins lies between my legs and inserts his member into me. It does not take long for him to finish, especially if I have prepared him properly, and then he leaves me alone."

Upon Elizabeth's inquiry as to the nature of this preparation, Charlotte informed her that her mother had been fully aware that Mr. Collins was not a man whose embraces would be willingly sought by many women. Lady Lucas had therefore instructed her daughter always to take her husband's member into her mouth and liberally to lubricate it there.

"In your mouth?" gasped Elizabeth, noting once again the moisture that was pooling between her thighs.

"Yes, it is quite clean and not unpleasant in itself," said her friend. "And the moisture I leave there makes the entry into my female passage easy and swift. Sometimes, Mr. Collins even spends while I kiss and lick his member. That makes him vastly happy and he falls almost immediately to sleep, which is very desirable to me."

In reply to another query, Charlotte continued, "Though it grows and becomes firm when he is about to enter me, Mr. Collins' member is about four inches long when it is at its largest. It has always entered me with very little discomfort or, indeed, feeling of any sort, even the first time. If well moistened, there is no discomfort at all."

Charlotte looked embarrassed, paused and then seemed to steel herself to speak further. "I am aware, Elizabeth, that marital relations with another sort of man may be very different than with Mr. Collins. It happened that I once saw the blacksmith at Rosings cleaning himself after work. He is a large, well muscled man and his member, even when relaxed, was as large as Mr. Collins', fully erect. It may be, indeed I think it must be, that some men are larger than Mr. Collins."

Elizabeth considered privately that whether other men were larger than Mr. Collins, there were surely many who were more desirable. She said nothing aloud, however.

Charlotte averted her eyes from Elizabeth and blushed deeply, but continued. "I sometimes think of the blacksmith and imagine his member fully erect, while Mr. Collins thrusts into me. It creates a moisture that makes his entry more easy and... and it causes warm shakings in my lower belly that are pleasant to me. It may be that marital relations with a different sort of man would be very pleasant indeed, Elizabeth."

"You think of the blacksmith while...."

"Elizabeth, pray do not think ill of me. I have made my bed and must lie in it. Do not scorn what I must do in that bed to lie there in tolerable peace."

Elizabeth assured her friend that in no way did she scorn her. Indeed, she was grateful the Charlotte had spoken so truthfully, as no one else had, of the secrets of the marriage bed. Privately, she considered again that anything is to be preferred or endured rather than marrying without affection

__________________________

Mr. Darcy returned in due course. Upon his coming again to Longbourn, it was agreed between Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth that, after the wedding breakfast, the newly married couple would join Bingley and Jane, likewise to be married that same day, at Netherfield. There, in Mr. Bingley's house, they would pass the first night of marriage.

"For," said Mr. Darcy, "the days grow very short at this time of year and it were well to rise early for the journey by coach to Derbyshire and our home at Pemberley." That this was an admirable suggestion was agreed to by all and the matter was thus settled. Jane, in particular, was delighted that her first act as Mrs. Bingley would be to welcome Mr. and Mrs. Darcy into her new home.

At the promised time, Elizabeth's Aunt and Uncle Gardiner arrived at Longbourn. Elizabeth took great pleasure in welcoming them, both because their coming was a tangible reminder that her wedding day was growing very near indeed, and because they were her most valued relations, beyond her father and Jane. Their invitation to Elizabeth to accompany them into Derbyshire was, she always recalled, the means by which she and Mr. Darcy had been reunited. That Mrs. Gardiner would instruct the sisters in the intimate duties of marriage was but a further reason to rejoice in their presence.

That evening Mrs. Bennet and the younger girls retired to their rooms. Mr. Bennet declared that nothing would give him greater pleasure than to entertain Mr. Gardiner to a leisurely glass of port in his library. Mrs. Gardiner invited her two eldest nieces to join her in her chamber.

The door firmly closed behind them, the two sisters sat on the small chairs that had been placed in the room by Mrs. Gardiner's foresight. Their aunt took her seat in a French fauteuil which formed part of the rooms normal furnishing.

"So, my dear nieces, your father has written to ask me to give you instruction in the duties of the marriage bed, something for which you both are eager." She looked a question at the sisters who nodded their assent in response.

"I fear I cannot accede to his request for I know nothing of such duties."

Never had Elizabeth been so disappointed. She had been so sure that their aunt would enlighten their ignorance!

"But I should be very glad, " continued their aunt, "to speak with you of the joys of the marriage bed. Your uncle and I have done nothing out of duty in our bed, but much that gives joy. Do not think of duty, I beg you. Think first of joy and delight. This is the main thing I must tell you."

Elizabeth sighed in relief.

"Picture a dance, if you will. You both love to dance and do not do so because it is a duty. You dance because your bodies long to do so. It is true that you must learn the movements of each dance but you do not need to learn the delight of dance. The desire is implanted within you. Have you not become aware that another desire is likewise there within you?"

The sisters pondered the truth of Mrs. Gardiner's words.

"The joys of the marriage bed are like a dance," said their aunt.

"But not done in company, dear aunt!" laughed Elizabeth

"Surely, not done in company," agreed their aunt, with a smile.

More seriously, she continued, "You should know, and then cast from your minds, that it is very possible that your husbands... already know some of the steps of the dance."

Jane and Elizabeth coloured with astonishment. Jane voice their surprise, "But neither has been married. Surely you are not saying that they frequent women of ill repute, aunt!"

"I trust not, girls. But men, particularly wealthy men, have ways of supplying their needs and it is not uncommon for young men to receive instruction. A helpful widow, perhaps, is arranged for a young man."

"But all the world is so hard on us, if there is even a suspicion of..." cried Elizabeth in indignation. "All society scorns us if we should fall but this is accepted?"

"That punishment, the public punishment of disgrace, should in just measure attend the man's share of offence is, we know, not one of the barriers which society gives to virtue. In this world the penalty is less equal than could be wished. Perhaps there is a juster appointment hereafter."

Elizabeth lowered her eyes to the floor. This was not a welcome subject for contemplation.

"There is little we women can do about this. But there is this to consider, dear nieces, and then, as I say, to forget. This experience may assist in giving you pleasure."

Mrs. Gardiner then spoke of the ways in which a man pleases a woman and a woman her man. Half the night was passed in this most fascinating conversation.

As the candles guttered at last, and it was time for what little rest could remain in the night, Jane slipped away to her own room. Elizabeth tarried a moment, embraced her aunt and said:

"I love you dearly, aunt, for all your kindness to me. And I am certain Mr. Darcy will come to love you too."

"Do what I have told you and, later, tell him I instructed you. Then he will love me indeed!" Mrs. Gardiner declared with a laugh.

"Now, off to bed with you!"

_____________________

The wedding day at last came. Dresses, so anxiously examined and approved by their mother. were donned and fine French silk nightgowns packed for the short journey to Netherfield. As the appointed hour approached, Jane and Elizabeth were escorted to church by their unwontedly solemn father.

When asked, "Who giveth these women..." Mr Bennet's voice was so choked that he could barely speak the appointed response.

Jane, as older sister, was married first and then it was Elizabeth's turn. She heard, as in a dream the solemn pledge of Mr. Darcy.

And then, Elizabeth spoke after the clergyman, "I, Elizabeth Cassandra,. take thee, Thomas Henry Fitzwilliam, to my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, cherish, and to obey, till death us do part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I give thee my troth."

Mr. Darcy took her by the hand, pressed a gold band onto the fourth finger of her left hand and said in his most solemn voice, "With this ring I thee wed, with my body I thee worship, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow: In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."

The clergyman declared, "What God hath joined together, let no man put asunder." And very soon, it was over. Elizabeth chiefly remembered later how brief was the ceremony, so eagerly anticipated and so long in preparation.

What remained of the service, the wedding breakfast and the round of embraces and congratulations passed swiftly, as a dream fades at the break of day. Very soon, it seemed to her, Elizabeth was handed into Mr. Darcy's stately landau by her husband. The liveried coachman, jiggled his reins, whistled to his horses, and the carriage rolled with a smoothness Elizabeth had never experienced, towards Netherfield House. They were welcomed on the steps of that house by Mr. and Mrs. Bingley, who had preceded them.

The newly married couples stepped into the drawing room and, after a period of conversation broken from time to time by a mutual consciousness of what was yet to come, sat down in the dining room to a light supper. The late autumn day faded into dusk and table silver glistened in the wavering light of the finest beeswax candles. Elizabeth was conscious of how vastly different were her feelings today than upon her first meal in that room, when Jane lay ill, and she knew how unwelcome she had been to Bingley's sisters and even, she recalled, to Mr. Darcy herself.

Unwontedly early, Jane suppressed a dainty yawn, and spoke formally to her husband, "My dear Mr. Bingley, I am somewhat fatigued by the excitements of the day. With family we need not stand on ceremony. Perhaps Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy will pardon us if we retire early."

Bingley, who was a gentleman of social habits and who normally enjoyed nothing better than an evening of port and conversation, hastened to agree.

"Forgive us if we leave you. Do not feel rushed. Linger as long as you wish and the servants will care for you," he declared. And the couple disappeared in the direction of Bingley's rooms.

Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth, thus precipitately abandoned, looked at one another in silence.

At last Mr. Darcy spoke, "My dear wife, you appear anxious. Would a glass of wine ease your present discomfort?"

Elizabeth nodded her acceptance of this kind offer and Mr. Darcy called for a servant to supply her need. He himself refused further drink and sat watching Elizabeth sipping her wine. He said little but gazed at her as she sipped her wine with a fixity of expression that would have been discourteous on a social occasion.

From time to time the fingers on his left hand drummed lightly on the polished mahogany of the table top. Once when a drop of the rich claret pooled on the outer rim of Elizabeth's wine glass and she extended her tongue to lick it clean, she heard him sharply draw in his breath with a quick hiss. Elizabeth, in embarrassment looked down and noted that, though Mr. Darcy, was not drinking and had long concluded his meal, his linen napkin still lay bunched in his lap. She wondered if Mr. Darcy was expecting another course.

After yet another silence, Mr. Darcy rose, extended his arm to Elizabeth in her chair and said, "My dear, it would be kindness to the servants after this long day to allow them to begin their work of clearing the table. Will you not join me in our rooms?"

Though the wine was still moist on Elizabeth's lips, her throat was too dry to allow speech. She nodded, laid her hand on his arm and accompanied Mr. Darcy as he climbed the stair to the rooms in which he had been staying. These rooms were next to those of Mr. Bingley and his bride.

Though Elizabeth, like all great ladies of the land, would have her own rooms at Pemberley, the sisters had agreed that she would pass the night in Mr. Darcy's bedroom at Netherfield. Elizabeth stepped into the chamber and saw the large bed, the rich linens turned down in preparation. It was her turn to draw in her breath sharply.

Mr. Darcy turned to her and spoke in an unwontedly gentle voice, "My sweetest Elizabeth. There are doubtless preparations you would wish to make. I will step into my dressing room so that you may... so that you may... do what is necessary. Call on me, I pray you when you are ready. He stepped into the next room where, she knew, his manservant awaited to assist him with his disrobing.