Ellen's Tale Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He was probably a biker then," Ellen replied as Julie opened a swatch book, "if he was a bikie then he'd be wearing a patch, unless he was going to shoot someone then they take the patch off in case of witnesses."

"Good to know," Julie wrinkled her nose, "all right, I'd suggest satin for the tie blouse, or silk, and these," she turned a page, "are your polyester blends."

"They're almost like silk as well," Ellen commented a moment later.

"Some will have silk woven into the material," she replied.

Ellen eventually selected black satin for the tie blouse and beige silk for the other one.

"They'll be perfect for work," she inclined her head, "I do four days in student administration out at Tafe, well four half days, the ceramics course is just two days."

"Cool," Julie put the patterns aside, "which Tafe?"

"Swinburne in Croydon."

"Ilona's sister in law did her course there," Julie mused.

"Uh huh," Ellen flipped through the catalogue, "what would you charge for a prom dress for my daughter? She's nine years old."

"I'd do it for eighty," she replied, "which sounds a lot but a prom dress for an adult can be twice as much money."

"I'll think about it," she opened her purse, "I can pay you the full amount now."

"That's always a good look," Julie chuckled, "tell you what, bring your daughter around when you come back to pick up your clothes and I'll give you a twenty five percent discount."

"Deal," Ellen handed over the money.

Anna was nowhere to be seen when they stepped into the living room some five minutes later but she could hear voices coming from the rear of the house and a dog barking.

"Anna's outside with Ilona if you want to say goodbye, I've gotta go for a piss."

"I um, I better not stay long. I've got to drop in at Safeway on the way home and then head down to the community centre."

"Whatever," Julie shrugged.

Nevertheless, she did duck out to the back patio where she found Ilona and Anna, and a beautiful Samoyed dog named Max. Anna was sitting on a bench seat with a rope toy in her hand whilst Max played tug of war with her. She stood watching for a minute or so and then raised her hand.

"I've um, got to go and get ready for today, are you still coming this afternoon?"

"I wouldn't miss it for the world," Anna chuckled, "Elaine isn't here right now but I'll be following her there today."

"No worries," she stooped over slightly as Max came over to sniff her leg, "what a beautiful dog."

"You're not wrong there," Ilona grinned, "Max is the best."

"Okay, well, I'll see you later."

"Do you want the money now?"

"I don't have my receipt book with me," she replied, "but sure, if you want. I just don't have much change on me."

"It's fine, I've got the exact amount," she stood up, "I'll be back for you in a minute," she ran a hand through Max's coat.

By the time Anna had paid her three month tuition fee Julie was stepping into the living room and Julie nodded at the sewing room.

"I'll be in there when you're ready."

"No worries," she smiled.

Ellen left some two minutes later, Anna actually walked her to the car and stood chatting for nearly five minutes before Ellen hinted she really needed to get going. She was aware however that Anna was staring after her as she drove away. It almost felt inviting, the other woman had seemed quite engaged and almost flirtatious, if that was the right word for it.

What is going on? Ellen wondered as she changed gear.

The question still hadn't been answered by the time she and Tabitha got to the community centre to start setting things up for the day. One of the surprise benefits of having Saturday sessions was her discovery that Tabitha wanted to take part as well. She was quite happy to just sit and paint while her mother helped out the others. Her mother paid for the figurines, so it actually worked out well because it freed up Gitti and there were no child minding services.

Anna and Elaine turned up some twenty minutes later and after setting Anna up with a figurine, Ellen settled into her familiar routine, which generally involved assisting her students with the occasional stint at the figurine she was working on. It was part of a selection she was donating to a local charity to help sick kids. The class itself lasted for four hours although she quite often found herself still there half an hour after the class had ended on a Saturday.

The conversations tended to be lively and in the other class during the week, when Tabitha wasn't present they could be quite risqué but they could cover all manner of subjects from politics through to relationships and everything else in between. Anna was quiet for the most of the session, focusing all of her time on painting her figurine black. A black base coat was necessary to bring out the other colours and she'd chosen a Native American woman with a spear and shield. Because the figurine had so much detail she was focused on not leaving any bits of white showing and even then Ellen had to step in and help her out.

"This is the most important part," she explained, "if you skimp over this part you'll notice it when you start adding more colours."

"It almost seems counter-intuitive," she murmured.

"I know, you wouldn't be the first to say that and you won't be the last," their eyes met.

Anna blinked and then stared out the window for a minute or two before looking down again, she seemed almost dreamlike, as if she was trying to escape something.

"It's very time consuming, I didn't realise that was the time."

"Yeah, we've got another half an hour," Ellen studied the figurine, "so you can either take a break and relax or get started on the tunic and breeches."

"Maybe," she frowned, "how long would it take?"

"An hour or so, it's more of the same but you don't have to fill all the nooks and crannies, don't worry if you don't finish," she picked up some brown paint and put it in front of her, "here, take the brush and just do the front, don't worry about straying onto her face."

She stepped outside not long after that to grab a quick cigarette and took her favourite place at the corner of the verandah where it ran around the north side of the building. At some stage in the past someone had set up a round table and four chairs. The table was covered in scratches and some graffiti, it had an ashtray in the middle and she flicked her ash into the ashtray as she contemplated her plans for tonight.

Lasagne or a takeaway?

The latter was definitely the more attractive option, she stared at the front door some twenty feet away, but then she did a mental calculation. She'd handed over a largish sum of money to Julie for the blouses.

Perhaps it'll be lasagne instead or, her eyes narrowed as Anna stepped outside with the phone to her ear, a chicken stir fry.

"What do you mean? I thought we agreed?" Anna spoke loudly.

I've got the chicken, her eyes narrowed as she stared at Anna's back, steam the rice the veggies and add sauce, her eyes shifted as the conversation continued.

"But it's my money, I earned it and if I want to spend it on this then why is that a problem? You spent money on that trip to Surfers, a trip I wasn't invited on... oh come on... no... I'm not going to just demand a refund and you're a fine one for talking about selfishness... it's not happening, end of story," she hung up and stared out over the carpark.

"You fucking cunt," she swore.

"Trouble?" Ellen spoke up.

Anna turned around as she suddenly acknowledged Ellen's presence.

"I um," she blushed, "um, no, not anymore."

She walked towards her as Ellen took another drag from her cigarette.

"Sorry, filthy habit."

"It's fine, really," she pulled a chair out and sat down slowly, "that was just my husband ringing to ask me to bring a takeaway home but I've already spent money on this course and he's pissed off because I spent my money on myself."

"I can refund some money if you want," Ellen eyed her, "we get it all the," she stopped when Anna held up her hand.

"No, it's fine. We've got a full fridge and freezer at home but he's got this craving for Chinese, he wants to watch the footy replay tonight."

"Well it's not hard to make Chinese food," Ellen smiled crookedly, "I've even got an app for that, and a few books."

"You and me both," she looked past her, "oddly enough, this whole course was his idea, he never mentioned ceramics specifically but he told me to go out and find something I liked doing, but now that I'm doing it I get the feeling it's just more of the same," she trailed away.

"What do you mean by that?"

Anna was just about to reply when Elaine stepped outside and signalled her.

"I've got to deal with something, excuse me," she butted the cigarette out and was just rising when Anna replied.

"He's overbearing and dismissive, he comes across as being charming but behind closed doors it's a different story altogether."

"He doesn't hit you, does he?"

"No, nothing like that," she also rose, "he's a stockbroker, he uses words to hurt you."

My ex used words too but he preferred fists, knives, and guns," she replied, "but if you ever need a listening ear or help I'm here," she squeezed her shoulder.

"Stay out here and count to ten, we're here for you."

She left her a few seconds later and went inside to deal with a minor mishap where a woman had added too much skin colour to her figurine.

"I've fucked it, haven't I?"

"Don't worry," Ellen reassured her, "it's fixable, let me get some white paint."

Anna and Elaine came in some five minutes later and Anna took a seat opposite the woman Ellen was helping. She looked a little more relaxed although behind her eyes Ellen detected a hint of inner tension as she picked up her brush and started painting her figurine. The other women were happily chatting away and when one woman made a snide comment about her own husband the hint of a smile nudged Anna's lips as the other women laughed.

After the session was over, Ellen fell into a familiar routine but this time Elaine elected to help her tidy up, which wasn't the first time a client had helped out but it did come as a surprise when Anna also decided to stay back.

"Thanks, girls," she beamed, "it's a welcome surprise."

"No worries," Elaine grinned.

As they were leaving however, Anna turned to her.

"Thank you for you know, what you said earlier, I'm sorry for the outburst," she glanced briefly at Tabitha who was carrying her latest creation to the car.

"It's fine and there's no need to apologise," she started walking behind Tabitha, "Tab has heard a lot worse from me, trust me, careful with that, sweetie, here, I'll get the door."

She unlocked the driver's side door and then the back door.

"There you go, sweetie, put it on the floor so it can't fall any further."

She turned around to face Anna.

"But I'm serious about listening. I lived for years in a marriage where the slightest wrong word or look could invite a violent reaction. You can't live like that forever."

Anna swallowed as she looked at Tabitha as she put her figurine on the back floor.

"He's not violent."

"Maybe not, but words are powerful, my mother is married to a man who routinely belittles her and dad hasn't raised a hand to her but it's all there in the snide comments."

Tabitha closed the door and Ellen squeezed her shoulder.

"Go sit in the front," she told her, "I'll be there in a minute."

When they were alone she leaned against the car and stared past her.

"I felt totally isolated. I was a bikie chick and if you dared talk out of turn you were not only betraying your husband you were betraying the club. I should be dead or permanently disfigured but a sympathetic copper stepped in and had a word to his colleague when I was laid up in hospital after a vicious attack," her eyes narrowed.

"She agreed to put me up but I was still a bit hesitant and then he brought in some autopsy photos of people who'd died violently and suggested I think carefully because one day I'd be the one lying on a slab while a coroner took pictures of my body," she looked at her.

"It was probably illegal or at least against department regulations but I found out later he'd just been to a murder scene where a woman in a similar situation had been murdered. I guess he was just trying to save the world one person at a time."

"He sounds like quite a guy."

"He is, although I haven't seen him for a while," she took out a notepad and a pen from her bag and wrote out her address and phone number, "here," she handed it over.

"I can't promise to have any answers but any time you feel overwhelmed or just want to vent just give me a call and I'll try to make time. I might not be available twenty four seven because I've got another job besides this one and a daughter to raise but I'll try, okay?"

"Okay, thanks," she took the paper from her, "I'm not a basket case, I stood my ground but you're right, sometimes I just feel overwhelmed and my mum lives in Sydney so it's not like I can run off to her joint."

They parted not long after that and as Ellen started the engine her daughter looked over as Anna got into her car.

"She's really nice, mum."

"Yes she is," Ellen smiled.

Little did she suspect that Anna would take her up on the offer sooner than expected.

***

The day dawned with rain but an hour or so later the rain stopped and the clouds parted to reveal a stunning blue sky. The smell of wet grass hung heavily in the air as Ellen stepped outside with a basket of wet clothes. Gitti was putting a ladder up against the guttering.

"What's wrong?" Ellen asked her.

"I need to get the leaves out of the guttering," she stepped back and eyed the roof line, "it's always my least favourite job."

"Do you want a hand?"

"I could use someone at the base of the ladder," she commented.

"No worries, just let me hang out my washing."

"Not a problem," Gitti replied, "tell you what, I'll give you a hand with the washing."

Ellen shrugged as Gitti followed her to the hoist. She had plans for Sunday but none of them were urgent. It had been a week since Anna started her course and yesterday she'd seemed quite affable as she continued painting her figurine. There had been no mention of her husband and Elaine had mentioned that Ellen's clothes would be ready to pick up the next day.

"So quickly?" Ellen raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, she had a couple of days off because of accumulated sick pay. If she doesn't take it she loses it, so she was off sick even though she wasn't sick."

"My husband suffers from industrial diarrhoea," a woman chuckled, "work gives him the shits."

"Everything all right?" Gitti glanced at her as she attached another peg.

"Maybe," Ellen glanced at the bungalow as Tabitha emerged with Ellen's phone to her ear, "maybe not, who is it, Tab?"

"Hang on, I'll let you talk to mum," Tabitha spoke to the person on the other end of the phone.

"Thanks," Ellen took the phone from her, "hey," she put the phone to her ear, "who's this?"

There was a sob and she took a step back.

"Hello?"

"It's, me, Anna. Can we talk?"

"Sure we can talk," she frowned, "what's happened?"

"It's Ritchie... my husband... he's just... he's...," she trailed away.

"He's what? Lost his rag? Has he hit you?" Ellen pinched her nose, "is he in the same room? Just say yes or no."

"Yes," she replied.

"Has he hit you?"

"No."

"Has he hit the wall or something else?"

"Yes," she replied.

"Can you leave the house?" Ellen stared at the back of the house.

"Yes but there's a slight problem."

"Do you have enough petrol?"

"Yes," she replied.

Ellen lowered her eyes as she thought through the possible scenarios."

"And you still have my address?"

"No," she replied.

"Did he throw it out?" Ellen suggested.

"Yes, I'm so sorry, it's my fault."

"Hang on a moment, don't go away," she put the phone on mute and explained the situation to Gitti.

"Okay, do you know where she lives?"

"Julie or Elaine would know."

"Or you can get her to send the location via Google Maps," she replied, "tell her we'll be there as soon as we've hung the washing."

"What about?" Ellen nodded at the ladder.

"It can wait," she shrugged, "this is more important."

"Anna," she came back to her a moment later, "are you still there?"

"Yes," she replied.

"Okay, we're going to drop in and take you out. Can you um, text your address or send me a Google Maps location?"

"Yes, thank you. I really appreciate it, I'm really sorry about all this. It's my fault."

She hung up abruptly and about a minute later Ellen got the text message giving her a Google Maps location. Ellen glanced at Tabitha doubtfully and Gitti chuckled.

"We'll take her too, I can handle this."

"What're you going to do? Call your old mates?"

"The police force is just one big gang," she stepped away from the hoist, "let me get my phone and some better shoes and I'll see you at my car."

***

Anna's place in Coldstream was set back from the highway with a paddock between it and the road. Three cars were parked nearby, the first was a Holden utility parked directly outside the house, the other two, a silver BMW and a white Toyota were parked in a double garage. A young man in his mid twenties was standing on the concrete porch calmly smoking a cigarette. He was an attractive man Ellen noted, dressed in a short sleeved shirt and blue jeans. He had short black hair styled in a flick back fashion and Ellen noted the tattoos on his upper arms, one of which looked suspiciously like a swastika. Gitti on the other hand was looking at a No Smoking sign mounted between two poles. The sign was perpendicular to the road and her eyes narrowed as she looked at the bullet holes in the sign, a quick glance to her right confirmed the presence of a gun cabinet in the back of the ute. Powerful spotlights had been mounted to the roll bar at the front of the tray and then she noted the dull bloodstains and hairs that indicated dead animals had been lying there.

"We're here for Anna," Gitti swung around to look at Ritchie, "she's going out for lunch, with us," she smiled.

Ritchie stared at her for a moment and then flicked the butt into an ashtray.

"I'll tell her you're here," he turned about and stalked inside.

Gitti waited until he was inside before taking out her phone.

"Keep Tabitha close to the car," she murmured.

"What's up?" Ellen reached for her daughter.

Gitti didn't reply as she thumbed the screen and moved away. Ellen could only hear half of the conversation but she had no doubt that Gitti was speaking to her former colleagues because she relayed the vehicle registration. A few seconds later she leaned over and took something off the tray and held it up.

"Hang on," she turned and looked at the house, "he's got a nine millimetre casing here," she pocketed the case and walked to the bullet-riddled sign and Ellen couldn't hear what was being said. Anna stepped outside just then with her handbag. She was looking pale as she kissed her husband and then she stepped down to the gravel driveway.

"Hiya," she greeted her.

"The car," Ellen inclined her head.

Gitti was still on the phone as she touched the sign and Ritchie was staring at her back as she kept talking. She sensed his attention and then turned on her heel and faced him, Ellen was still escorting Anna to the car when Gitti started strolling back towards the front steps.

"Uh huh, wow, how about that?"

Gitti chuckled as she reached the steps.

"No wucking furries, well, I'll see ya when I'm looking at ya, stay beautiful," she ended the call and nodded at Ritchie.

"Nice meeting ya," she kept walking, "we'll have her back sooner than you think," and with that she was walking towards the car.