Emily and the Seamstress

Story Info
Captain Emily sells her ship and does some clothes shopping.
8.5k words
4.44
2.2k
1
0

Part 7 of the 7 part series

Updated 05/24/2024
Created 08/17/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Over the next few days, Emily read Zephyr's book cover-to-cover multiple times, making her own notes with a quill pen and parchment. Learning to use the quill and inkwell was a challenge, and she ruined several sheets of parchment in the process, but eventually she got the hang of it. How much easier it would have been, she mused, if she had been transported to Thessolan just after coming home from work--she always kept spare ballpoints in her bag. And, of course, she would have been fully dressed.

But Emily's clothing troubles seemed finally behind her. She may have had to display herself to the entire pirate crew while fighting Richard, but she'd won, and now she was the captain of the Sea Serpent, which had on board as many spare clothes as she could want. They were all men's clothes, shapeless and ill-fitting, and often quite worn, with holes and patches and missing buttons, but after everything she'd been through they made her feel dignified, human again. Entering the storeroom to pick out a new outfit, she felt like a wealthy heiress with a walk-in closet.

The ship was headed for the port town of Turon. Emily and Aria had sat down with First Mate Gideon and a map to make sure they set course for the port that would bring them closest to Lirethel, though it was an inland city and they would still have a long journey ahead.

Between the availability of extra clothing and Emily's increased skill with the Stoneshell, she and Aria decided that it would be safe for her to practise with clothes on. But Emily was still careful not to dress in anything with loose ends that might catch a wandering flame. She adopted as her standard training outfit a sleeveless undershirt and a relatively tight-fitting pair of trousers. This did not deter idle crew members from watching every practise session.

After finding Richard's emergency rock stash, Aria and Emily incorporated the Bronzeband into her training. Emily had found a few books about magical artifacts among Richard's things, some of which were even referenced by Zephyr's Stoneshell notes. The Bronzeband appeared a far less storied artifact than the Stoneshell--it was one of a few hundred, made by an unremarkable mage only a few decades ago. Its enchantment was quite simple and when not employed in levitating rock, it lay dormant. There was none of the psychic connection Emily felt with the Stoneshell.

It was also far more difficult to use. Emily gained a new respect for the things Richard had shown her after her first few practise sessions produced little more a couple of spinning stones. "It would be less effort to just pick these stones up with my hands than it is move them with magic," Emily said, collapsing to the deck and wiping the sweat off her brow after a particularly taxing session.

"Then you see Richard's advantage," Aria replied. "For him, that was not an option."

Emily thought back to sight of hands growing out of Richard's stumps. She had not told Aria or Talyndra about the events of that night, as she still wasn't sure she'd done the right thing. Richard was out there somewhere, without his magic perhaps, but strong, able-bodied and crafty. Also naked. But that had never stopped Emily so far, and he seemed far less shy about it. Men just didn't have the same hangups about their bodies, she supposed.

"I don't know why you humans love these artifacts so much," Talyndra chimed in, emerging from below deck. "As soon as someone takes it off you, all your powers are gone."

She was dressed in brown shorts and a short-sleeve white shirt. Her feet were bare. As human clothing was irritable to her skin, she preferred not to wear too much of it.

"Humans are not intrinsically magical beings," said Aria. "We require artifacts to use magic at all."

Talyndra smirked, making green lights dance around her fingers. "I think you lot just don't try hard enough. Magic's easy!"

"Says the elf who was captured by human pirates," Emily returned, a little annoyed by Talyndra's flippancy after she had spent an hour trying unsuccessfully to reshape a pebble. "And who was rescued by the Stoneshell Bearer."

"I just... don't perform so well at sea," Talyndra said defensively, stumbling as the ship crested a wave. "Get me back to the deep woods and then you'll see."

"Well, what is a forest, then, but a really big artifact?" Emily asked. "I don't think we're so different after all."

Talyndra muttered to herself and returned below deck, scratching a spot on her side.

Aria glided across the deck and, with a bit of effort as she was not accustomed to the position, sat down in front of Emily and looked her in the eyes. "What troubles you?"

Emily let out a deep sigh. "It's... well... everything!"

Aria cocked a stone eyebrow. "Try to be more specific. I am here to listen."

"Up until now, we've been on the move, busy with training, busy fighting all these terrible people who want to take the Stoneshell from me," Emily began. "And I've been naked a lot, which makes it difficult to think of much else, worrying that people will see, and just feeling insecure and vulnerable all the time. And between walking miles every day, training in magic, I haven't had a lot of time or energy to really process things. Until now. These last few days. Sure, I've been busy with the Stoneshell research, and our training, but we haven't been walking everywhere, and I've been properly clothed. So I've had time for... contemplation."

"That sounds like a good thing."

"It is! I'd much rather be the captain of the pirate ship than a naked girl in the woods. But it's a lot to process! Everything that's happened! A month ago, I was just Emily Corlett, junior book-keeper at Greenville Auto, living in a rundown apartment with a flighty roommate. And now I'm Emily Stoneshell Bearer, heir to Evangeline, with this incredible magical power and all that comes with it! I'm trying to outrun people who want to use my power for evil, trying to figure out how I can help you and the other statues turn back into humans, trying to figure out what my purpose in this world is supposed to be!"

Emily clasped the Stoneshell pendant between her fingers. "And I know it's an important one. But I'm not sure if I'm up to it. I'm a nobody! Before coming here, I struggled to even make rent every month. But I managed, and I was studying. And I had friends, and family, and they must all think something terrible happened to me! I have to get back to them, I have to!"

As if to punctuate this, a column of flame burst from the top of Emily's head, blending with her chestnut locks.

"It sounds like you're not really sure about that," said Aria.

Emily looked down at the deck. "I was a nobody before. Here, I'm somebody. Here, I have a purpose. But back there, I have a loving mom and dad. I have a world I know and understand. My life wasn't constantly being threatened. And I got to wear clothes a lot more often, I guess. That was good too."

"Are we not going to Lirethel so as to find you a way back home?" asked Aria. "You will see your family again."

"We're going to have to make a few detours first. For your sake, and the other statues. I promised I would help you, and I'm not going anywhere else until that's done."

"Detours?"

"It's all in Zephyr's book. After Evangeline disappeared--nobody's sure if she even died--the Stoneshell turned up hundreds of years later as a prize artifact of the Order of Mages. It had the potential to hold far more enchantments that Thurseus Irontail gave it, and so over the years, the mages added their own. The final enchantment Zephyr records, presumably made just before the Stoneshell was placed in the center of the Labyrinthine Pool, was the one that turned you and the others into statues."

Aria nodded gravely. "I still remember the day it happened. Arctulus, tapping the necklace with his wand, and my whole body stiffening in the same instant."

"The first part of that enchantment was broken when I put the Stoneshell around my neck," said Emily. "And that only because I was the Stoneshell Bearer. That was the strongest part, what rendered you almost immobile and closed Castle Elid to the world. But the second part, that turned your skin and hair and garments to stone, that must be broken separately. According to Zephyr's research, the only way to do it is to travel to a place called Paja Abbey. It's a monastery to the east of Port Turon, Gideon showed it to me on the map."

"Paja Abbey... I think that's where the mage Arctulus studied," said Aria, a faraway look in her eyes. "It's a miracle that it still stands, so many years later."

"There's a ritual we need to perform there, Zephyr doesn't know the details, but the monks should be able to help us. The most important thing is that the statues of Castle Elid should all be there."

"I will send a carrier pigeon with the message as soon as we reach land," said Aria. "The statues need neither food nor rest, and will be able to march nonstop to this Paja Abbey to meet us. They may even arrive before we do."

Emily smiled. "Great. For the next few weeks, Paja Abbey is our focus."

"And then? Once the enchantment is broken?"

"One thing at a time. If I can just focus on saving you, Aria, then I don't have to think about any other decisions just yet."

"Perhaps that is wise," Aria said, but her expression betrayed her doubts. She placed a marble hand on Emily's upper arm, just above the Bronzeband. "Please know that I will remain by your side and give you the aid I can, whatever decisions you make."

"Thanks, Aria," said Emily, pulling up into a hug. Though Aria's stoney surface was just as cold and hard as ever, Emily found it comforting.

Strong winds over the next few days brought the Sea Serpent and its crew swiftly to Port Turon, and they docked with little trouble. The pirate flag had long been stowed away, so as far as anyone knew, the Sea Serpent was nothing more than a merchant ship.

Heads turned in the lively harbor as Emily disembarked, decked out in full, ill-fitting captain's garb and accompanied on one side by a scantily clad wood elf and the other by a living statue. First Mate Gideon followed behind them, unnoticed.

It had already been decided that Emily would sell the ship. The crew would receive their pay from the proceeds, and were free to stay on with the new owner or find other work--there were few better places for this in all of Thessolan than Port Turon. Aria led the way in engaging potential buyers, which presented little challenge, as everyone in the area was eager to speak with the trio.

They soon found success with the servant of a wealthy merchant who assured them that his master would pay handsomely for such a fine vessel as the Sea Serpent. "I will fetch my master immediately," he said. "After he has looked over your fine ship--a mere formality, if all you've told me is true--we shall rendezvous at the Mariner's Respite, a tavern not far from here."

The servant was a small, obsequious man with a nervous twitch in one eye and a red fez on his head, who had difficulty keeping eye contact with Emily.

"Excellent," said Gideon. Then, to Emily, "Captain, you must be quite sick of ship's biscuits and watered-down rum. The Mariner's Respite serves fine ale and hearty meals--as the name implies, it is a fine place to rest after a long voyage, and certainly a better place to wait than this dock. I would recommend you ladies go on ahead, and I will wait here for this man's master and show him around the ship. Then we'll meet you at the tavern."

Emily's stomach growled. "Yes, that does sound like a good idea. Thank you, Gideon."

Gideon bowed.

"Come along then," Emily said, motioning to Talyndra and Aria. "Where is this tavern you mentioned, Gideon?"

"Ah, the Mariner's Respite, I know it well," interjected the servant. "It's just down the main road, about in the middle. There's a whole lot of trees around it and a big sign with a mermaid, you can't miss it."

"Thank you," said Emily.

"I'll catch up with you shortly," said Aria, as Emily and Talyndra turned to go.

Emily cocked an eyebrow, to which Aria leaned in and whispered to her. "Someone has to make sure Gideon secures us a fair deal on the ship. I know he's been trustworthy so far, but it never hurts to be careful. Besides, I don't need food or drink, and I must also send word of our plan to the statues of Castle Elid. Go, I will see you and Talyndra soon."

Accepting this explanation, Emily bid farewell to Aria and she and Talyndra headed for the tavern, which was a short walk down the town's main road.

The tavern was a large building, constructed of stone and weathered wood. "Mariner's Respite" was carved into the sign above the door in large, flowing letters, and adorned on one side by a simple illustration of a mermaid with welcoming smile and long tresses of hair flowing down her torso. Emily blushed in remembrance of the last time she'd entered a tavern, sans pants. Luckily, she was well covered this time with even a sea captain's hat and coat.

"Are those...? They are!" Talyndra exclaimed, pointing excitedly at one of the trees surrounding the tavern. "Goldapple!"

Emily recognized the green-yellow leaves and dangling golden fruit, but was quite puzzled by Talyndra's excitement.

"Come on," shouted Talyndra, pulling at Emily's sleeve, "let's pick some!"

"I don't know if the owners would appreciate that..." Emily said.

Talyndra rolled her eyes. "What they don't know won't hurt them. Anyway, we'll go round the back--it looks like they've got a full orchard."

"Okay, okay, fine!" said Emily, stumbling forward as Talyndra pulled her towards the trees by the sleeve. "But what's so exciting about goldapples? I'm sure they'll have better food inside."

"Who cares about the apples? I'm after the leaves! Then I can finally lose this itchy fabric!" Talyndra scratched furiously at her neck as she said this.

Behind the tavern, there were even more goldapple trees, planted in neat rows. Talyndra made a beeline for the first one, wrapping her arms around it and rubbing her face against its bark. "Oh trees! How I've missed you so!"

Emily smirked at this new and very literal definition of the term "tree-hugger" and watched as Talyndra gently shook the trunk, causing a shower of green-yellow leaves to fall about her. Then she released the tree, and green sparks of magic appeared at her fingertips.

The leaves that she'd just shaken free, as well as many other leaves from all over the orchard, flew up into the air, as if blown by the wind. They converged in a single spot in front of Talyndra, spinning together in a green-yellow blur. More and more leaves joined the spiraling column, until it was half the height of Talyndra herself.

Emily watched in awe as the flurry of leaves slowed, resolving into the shape of a small, sleeveless dress. With intricate finger movements, Talyndra shaped the garment, moving between different cuts of both bodice and skirt until she settled on a design she liked. Once she was happy with the dress, she lowered her arms, leaving it suspended in midair.

Talyndra then slashed at the bark of the goldapple tree with the fingers of one hand. Her nails were sharp and cut deep into the bark. With her magic, she drew out a stream of tree sap, which she expertly wove around the floating dress, presumably using it to keep the leaves together. When she was one, she lowered her arms once more.

After a quick check that no one was watching them, Talyndra seized the hem of her top. "Good-bye, itchy human clothes!" she exclaimed, violently pulling the top over her head and flinging it towards Emily. Her shorts quickly followed, both garments smacking Emily directly in the face.

"Hey!" Emily shouted.

"Sorry!" Talyndra replied sheepishly, blushing all over before plucking the dress from the air and pulling it over her head.

Talyndra was radiant in her natural garb. She jumped for joy and spun around, a new spark in her eyes and lightness in her feet. Needless to say, the dress was far better constructed than Emily's own prior experiment with goldapple leaves. It may be prove very useful to have a companion who could make such fine clothes from nature's bounty.

The two companions returned to the front of the tavern and entered. The interior was dim, and they quickly found an empty table near the back. Emily sank into the plush, comfortable seating and immediately pulled out Zephyr's book and the parcel of parchment that was her own notes. Talyndra went to order the pair's meals. She soon returned bearing two large tankards of frothy ale, one of which she slammed down in front of Emily.

"To adventure!" Talyndra exclaimed, sliding into a seat across from Emily and raising her glass for a toast.

Emily lifted her own glass and clinked it against Talyndra's, spilling the foam from the tops of both and protecting her precious notes with her other arm.

"Where to next, cap'n?" Talyndra asked, after taking a hearty swig of her ale.

Emily pulled out a map she'd taken from the ship and indicated the road from Port Turon to Paja Abbey.

Talyndra's eyes lit up and she jabbed a finger at a copse of trees along the path. "That's wood elf territory, right there. The village of Wourd. Not my home, but I have some cousins who live there. Be good to see them again."

Emily examined the space around Talyndra's finger. "Very well then, we will travel together. You may part from us there if you wish."

Talyndra shrugged. "I must get word of my safety to my family. But I am also curious about your quest, and these statues you've mentioned. There's a part of my that wants to see it through, and to help you however I'm able."

"That's very kind," Emily replied, taking a slow sip of ale. "You're most welcome to stay, but I don't know what awaits us at Paja Abbey. Or on the road there, for that matter. A lot of powerful people are after the Stoneshell."

Talyndra waved a dismissive hand. "An old crone, a fish and a man without hands, you mean. I think we can take them."

Emily bit her lip. But before she could advise caution, a familiar stone figure appeared at her side. "Aria!"

Aria smiled serenely and gestured to two men at her side. One was familiar, the servant with the fez, and the other, presumably, was his master.

The servant piped up in his high, reedy voice, "Captain Emily, may I introduce my master, Baron Kotoon!"

The merchant, Baron Kotoon, was an imposing man with a large belly. He was decked out in fine clothes, all silken whites and royal purples, and his broad grin showed numerous gold-capped teeth. His eyes were small but alert and active, and they sparkled with energy. "A pleasure to do business with you, Captain," he said, taking Emily's proferred hand in his own and kissing it lightly. His hand was rough, with large rings on each of his fingers, and his lips large and moist.

He took a seat next to Talyndra, pushing her to the edge of the bench and dominating Emily's vision. "Your maidservant drives a hard bargain," he said. "Perhaps her firmness in negotiation is down to her stone exterior. I would love to have such a servant in my own employ. Alas, she did not accept my salary offer."

Kotoon laughed heartily at this, and Emily exchanged a glance with Aria, who leaned over to whisper in her ear, "I managed to drive up his price with some negotiating tactics I learned from talking to the crew. I rather think I'm getting the hang of this money business."

The servant reappeared with a tankard of ale for this master and a sheet of parchment and quill, which he placed before Emily.

"I believe you'll find these terms quite agreeable. It's more than I would usually pay for such a vessel, but I do consider myself a gentleman. To good business, then!" Kotoon raised his tankard, and Emily and Talyndra clinked their own against it.