Employee of the Year - Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

However, as I looked Maya up and down, taking note of her pretty face and slender figure, I thought that perhaps I could make an exception with her in mind. She was so easy on the eye, that I figured being seen with her in public would be pretty cool, even improving my reputation if any of my buddies or colleagues walked by. The other sales guys constantly made jokes about me being a stud, and I'd be living up to the reputation if they caught me having lunch with the pretty, new trainee. It would only further cement the image I'd painfully built for myself. I also considered the kudos this might do for me, with Maya going home later and telling her sister what a great guy I actually was, with her hopefully bringing an end to all the badmouthing in the process. The last thing I wanted was Maya sharing details of my personal life around the office, especially if those details became invasively intimate. But, right at that moment, any hostility seemed off the horizon, and it appeared that treating her well was working in my favour. For that reason, I felt almost like I had to go out of my way to be polite and accommodating to her, even though it felt like an insult to my usual, crass workplace persona.

"You want to come along?" I asked with a put-on smile, attempting to appear friendly. "Get you settled in and make you feel right at home on your first day? There's a great place I always go that does top cheese-toasted sandwiches."

"Sure," she said, her face lighting up, and I realised at that moment that she'd completely latched onto me. She basically knew no one else at the firm at this point, and I was recalling how apprehensive I'd been on my first day as Bruce had given me a good introductory roasting. I'd pretty much been trying to pick up things from him while he went about his day as if I wasn't even there, whereas Maya was having a smooth ride thanks to me. Of course, being a girl, I could hardly share with her my secret recipe for getting deals signed, and I had to say things slowly so she'd understand, but I'd already run her through all the basics at rapid pace, and now I was bringing her along for lunch. I'd spent my first lunch all those years ago with a grumbling stomach because I'd barely had a penny to my name. Sat across the table from Bruce as he'd munched through a steak baguette, I'd nodded along to the filth he was garbling about the waitress that had served him; he hadn't once paid attention to the fact that he was eating alone.

I led her across the street to my usual spot, and minutes later we were sat down together and tucking into the sloppy, greasy cuisine. Through the initial bites, the atmosphere was a little awkward, with her occasionally looking out the window while I thought of something clever to say. Inevitably, there was only one topic of conversation that we shared: her sister. "So, how's Piper these days?" I asked, trying to keep things light, but finding the prolonged silence rather uncomfortable. Even as the words left my lips, I cursed myself for drawing her attention to my failed relationship.

"She's good," she said after taking another bite; cute little dimples pulsating in her pale cheeks as she chewed. "I haven't actually seen her in a while because she's been dating some new guy." She took a suck through the straw of her milkshake, and I had to awkwardly look away, as a dirty thought entered my head; her lips leaving a pattern of ruby lipstick along the tube.

Despite not having seen Piper in years, I still felt kind of put-out that she was dating someone else. It was difficult to explain my reasoning, but I'd only been through a number of one-night-stands since, and had never replicated the intimacy of the relationship we'd shared. The depth of that intimacy had been part of the problem, and I'd basically shared so much of my inner self with her and become selfish to my own wants. I'd let her in one a side of me that I now buried beneath the chauvinist that everyone else knew well. Piper had been the only ever girl to break through my exterior and see my true self, and eventually, I'd become way too excited and smothered her.

After a few other general topics of conversation, I found myself staring at Maya uncontrollably. It was just the way she dipped her head, or lightly chuckled in response to something I said. Even how she twisted the straw between her manicured fingers; black polish catching the light as she stirred the remainder of her shake. Everything was so cute and feminine, and I had to shake some sense into myself as I realised I was a little smitten. This was Maya, after all, Mozzy Maya, that intolerable brat that had nipped at my heels like a terrier, yet, the longer I was in her company, the more I saw snippets of her sister within her. The longer I absorbed her cute giggles and bashful glances, the less I saw that hapless tween; replaced by a beautiful, confident woman.

As lunch drew to a close, I realised that I had been foolish in not recognising her immediately. The more we had spoken, and the greater attention I'd paid to her body language and mannerisms, the more I recognised her sister. Her hairstyle was slightly different, and she was more svelte than Piper, but there was an obvious resemblance there to which I'd initially been oblivious. That Middle Eastern influence that was undeniable, even in her Westernised attire. The pair of them had really tried to integrate to my country's culture. Being born here, it was probably easier for Maya, but Piper had gone to greater lengths since she was an immigrant, even having abandoned the ethnic name her parents had given her. But, there were still little differences that made them stand out, and if they hadn't been so hot, I'd have probably given them both a wide berth.

As we were finishing up, Neil, one of my colleagues from payroll, bustled through the door. He paused while noting I wasn't alone, looking Maya up and down before he nodded with approval. "Nice," he said to me with a wink, and I lightly nodded my head in return, not able to help myself from smugly grinning.

Maya cocked her head in confusion, before her eyes rolled from myself to Neil. He was just about to step away when she stopped him in his tracks. "Do you work at Wilkes too?" she asked, almost accusingly.

He blinked, then looked at me in a panic. "Ugh, yes I do," he replied, a little shaken by the sound of his voice. "Umm, why do you ask?"

"I just started today."

"Oh." His eyes immediately went wide, and he stared daggers at me. "I didn't realise. Welcome." Seeming quite flustered, he headed to the counter.

Meanwhile, Maya let out a sigh, then whispered from beneath her breath. "What a skeeze."

I gulped, before hesitatingly adding. "Yeah, I hate when men treat women like a piece of meat."

Maya was just about to take a final sip from her milkshake, when she paused and looked at me with her sexy, dark eyes. "Really?"

I bit my lip and nodded, glancing briefly towards Neil to make sure he was out of earshot. "Yes, I believe we're all equal." I mean, I wanted to distance myself from Neil after his foolish, careless behaviour, that's all, because it was clear that clowns like Disco Debs and company weren't on my level.

Maya curled her lip, almost like she was impressed with my response, before she began idly stirring her shake with the straw.

Once Neil had sheepishly left with his take-out lunch, we gathered our things and I headed to collect the bill. In another attempt to show off, and somewhat redeem myself after Neil's fumbling comment had baited me, I offered to pay for her meal, knowing that money was likely tight with this being her first job and all. I stepped up to the counter, and was just about to ask the cost, when Maya bundled past me.

"No, it's fine, I got it," she said, and before I could even object, she'd paid for both of our meals with a tap of her credit card. She handed her plate with the half-eaten sandwich over too. "Could you pack this to go, please?"

"What are you doing?" I said, completely taken back; momentarily making eye contact with the server and blushing. "I was going to get this."

She giggled to herself. "Well, I got it first, so don't worry. Consider it a thank you for all of the help this morning."

I scratched my head, and looked around the deli embarrassed. There were a few other diners, and though none were paying particular attention, I still felt somewhat emasculated. It was like that simple act had utterly cheapened me as a man. "But...this is wrong. I was supposed to get this."

Maya raised an eyebrow. "Why? Because you're a man? I thought you believe men and women are equal?"

I swallowed, and again looked the server in the eye, just as he was handing Maya her bagged leftovers. He raised his hands slightly and backed away from the counter, knowing we were about to head down a rabbit hole. "I do," I added, trying to sound reasonable. "But it's just because it's your first day and I'm already an established salesman." I stuttered slightly. "And I invited you along, so it was my treat."

"Well, don't worry about it," she said, putting her purse back in her bag. "I can look after myself."

Again, I scratched my head, and was about to say something else in my defence, however, I found myself speechless. It was such a change to see Maya as a capable woman, able to look after herself, rather than the helpless teen I remembered. Still, I felt slightly put-out, and that the provider aspect of my masculinity had been called into question. It was her first day, after all, and she made me look like I couldn't pay for my own food in a place I frequented.

Once we headed back to the office, we continued the rest of the day in the same manner as the morning, with myself offering advice and explanations, and Maya noting things down. However, the awkward incident at the deli kept playing back in my mind. I would never have done such a thing with Bruce, mostly because I couldn't afford it, but also, because it was just a step out of line. It was breaking the expected hierarchy of social interaction, and it just didn't fit. It was the same as whenever Eleanor took us out for lunch, she always covered the bill, because she was in the senior position and she earned more.

With that simple action, Maya had communicated so much, and I felt somewhat threatened. She didn't view herself as helpless and in need, and she didn't view me as the provider and nurturer. It made me worry that if she settled in too well, she might view herself as on a comparable standing to myself, even though I had years of experience. That was immensely insulting, considering her young age, even if, on the surface, I did like interacting with her.

To add to all of that, towards late afternoon, Maya was firing off her own ideas towards me, and whereas at first, I was batting them away and correcting her, I found myself on occasion caught in my own words and having to agree with her. Regardless, I spent all day showing her how things went down, to the point that I neglected my own work that needed doing. But still, it felt strangely good to put the well being of the young girl's career before my own, like a change of pace, and almost as if I was on vacation from my usual, forthright pursuit of capital. I felt like I was making up for the way I'd behaved towards the end of my relationship with her sister. How I'd basically used her as a mechanism to fulfil my own sexual desires.

Once the day was over, and she headed off home, I started to reconsider my whole attitude to the work environment. Perhaps a closer relationship with a colleague was favourable, especially one as good looking as Maya, and I could actually see myself building a bit of a rapport with her; the same way my own career had started out with Bruce. Besides her being easy on the eyes, I don't know why, but it felt kind of cool to have this younger girl looking up to me and following my lead. At times, I caught the same glimpses I'd noticed when I was dating her sister, how she'd view me with a respect and be desperate for my attention.

Before heading home, I swung by the break room to grab a cola from the vending machine. One of my best work buddies, Josh, the guy that looked after the computer network, was finishing up some shitty microwave meal before shooting off.

"Sup, bro?" he said. "How's it hanging?"

"Good, man." I slotted a dollar into the machine and guzzled the cola, before letting fly a mighty belch. When he chuckled, I gestured towards the plate with the empty bottle. "What you eating that shite for? They still paying you peanuts?"

He blinked and shook his head with a placid smirk. "It's because I don't get as much time to stand around being a tit like you. They actually give us a lot of work to do."

"Touché," I said with a chuckle.

"Who's that new piece of ass I saw you with anyway?" He wiggled his eyebrows. "She looked like she was worth a squirt."

I turned and looked at him, and for a second, I was halted by my conscience. Maya had been so nice today, that it felt kind of wrong to talk about her in a bad way. She was very attractive, of course, and really, just another woman around the office, but she was my ex-girlfriend's sister, and she was just here to do a job. I'd known her when she was younger, and it felt weird to talk about her in such a way.

Josh wiggled his eyebrows again. "Come on, man, don't start being a gentleman right now. I know exactly what you've been thinking about all day. You definitely want to tap that ass." He made a ring with one hand and thrust his fingers through it. "I bet you want to give her a right good seeing to."

I could already feel my forehead perspiring, and I had an urge to just laugh it off and get out of there. However, I'd built up a reputation with him, and I felt like I had to live up to it. We were always shooting the shit about women and the sexual escapades we got up to, most of mine being embellished. He'd confided in me a lot about his wife, and how he was suffering through a bit of a 'dead bedroom' period. Our chats had become somewhat of an outlet for him, and I didn't want him thinking I was suddenly a prude or something.

"Oh, yeah," I said while nodding my head. I glanced over my shoulder, checking we were alone, before I grunted and bucked my hips. "I'd give it to her nice and good."

Josh furrowed his brow, and seemed less than convinced. "Yeah?" He reached for his water, narrowing his eyes while taking a sip.

With that, I felt the need to ham things up. I stepped to his table, and pretended I was bending her over the top, before swinging my hand around as if I was slapping her peachy bum cheeks. "I'll tell you what, man, all day I've been staring at her firm ass. I'd split that Maya's tight little shit-box and drive her down south, for sure." I thrust my hips forward and slapped my hand around, all while cackling to myself and hooting like a depraved sex addict. "Yee-ha, baby! Take that cock like a good little slut."

Josh burst out laughing, almost spraying his water all over his meal. But then, his eyes suddenly widened, and he dropped his head, jabbing his fork into his meal while looking busy.

I was still stood in the same position, my knees bent as I imitated that ridiculous sexual act. However, Josh's sudden silence and disinterest confused, and then spooked me. "What?" I asked, and he momentarily looked up, gritted his teeth, and indicated behind me with his eyes. Already I could feel the blood pumping quicker through me, and I swallowed nervously.

I turned with apprehension, my hand still raised in a slapping position, to see that Maya was stood in the doorway. Her dark eyes were wide; her lips opened to an astonished ring. She blinked a number of times, raising her hands so her palms faced up. Then, she sort of side-stepped across the break room. "I forgot my leftovers from lunch," she whispered, adjusting the strap of her handbag over her slight shoulder. She slivered a few strands of her wavy hair over an ear, before dropping her head and quietly walking to the fridge. "Don't mind me"--a grimace appeared on her pretty face--"boys."

I gulped again, and panic suddenly set in. I'd basically been caught in the proverbial pants down moment and exposed for the absolute dickhead I could be. All of my chaperoning and nurturing throughout the day was suddenly irrelevant. Immediately, damage-limitation set in. "Maya," I said in a soft tone as she passed me by. "That wasn't what you--"

"Save it," she said, while raising her hand to shield her face. "I already heard enough."

"But..." I couldn't even explain myself before she'd quickly hustled away, shooting the pair of us a dirty glare before she disappeared down the corridor, the heels of her little booties clacking away.

I turned and looked to Josh aghast. "Fuck, bro, did she hear everything?"

He shrugged. "I honestly don't know how long she was there, man."

"For fuck sake, you were facing the door, bro! You're supposed to have my back."

He lifted his elbows in surrender. "I was distracted by that little performance you were putting on, man!"

"Shit," I said, while rubbing my forehead and feeling a migraine coming on. "You think she'll tattle to Eleanor?"

Josh grimaced. "Who cares? Just back each other up and deny it."

"Yeah, I guess."

Josh rolled his eyes. "She's got a stick up her arse, man. Don't worry about it. She'll soon come around." He cackled to himself before taking a sip from his drink. "You'll be banging her before the month is out." He then shrugged. "And if you don't, I certainly will."

I scratched my head, and for a second, I felt a sinking in my stomach. The blue talk suddenly felt disgusting. I mean, she was only eighteen, and she'd had to listen to us talking about her like she was a whore or something. Not only that though, but it felt even worse considering I'd known her since she was younger. I felt kind of bad that I'd ruined everything that had happened today. For the first time, I'd actually been a considerate colleague, and now, that was all left in tatters.

The next morning, Maya was already at the office when I arrived, just filling herself a cup from the water cooler. I supposed her eagerness made sense, with her wanting to impress while she was still on trial.

While lumping my briefcase through the door, and struggling to balance some coffees, I thought about how I was going to smooth things over. Clearly, I'd well and truly fucked things up with the way we'd parted the day before, but, I didn't want to just come out and mention it. I was hoping that perhaps in her young age, and keenness to impress, that she'd pretend it hadn't happened and we could move on. I'd even bought her a coffee on the way in, as a silent, apologetic gesture. It seemed fair, since Maya had covered the lunch the previous day, and made sense to butter her up after the break room mishap. The atmosphere needed to be cleared, since we were going to be working together all day again. I'd covered a lot of the basics the first day, but there was still so much she had to learn. I took a breath as I approached, then tried to sound as laid-back as possible. "Anxious to learn a little more from the top salesman, are you?"

Maya turned, momentarily surprised, before a grimace appeared on her face. However, she then smiled at me politely, before she took a sip of the cold water. She wiped her mouth with the sleeve of her white shirt. "Actually, I'm with...was it, Deborah, today? I just had a chat with Eleanor and she wants to share the training around the team. Help me to settle in." She bit her lip, almost chewing it from her own face. "I won't be needing your expert wisdom today."

The sarcasm was obvious, and it caught me by surprise: had she requested not to work with me? All because of that little incident the day before? Maybe Josh was right and she really did have a stick up her arse. Usually, I would have been over the moon that I was left to my own devices, but I couldn't help but feel a little disappointment. I'd been looking forward to Maya's pretty, brown eyes as she hung off my every word, or how her musky perfume tickled my nose whenever she turned her head and swung her hair. How my eyes would linger on her booties and wonder...well, it didn't matter anymore, did it? Because she was bailing on me. Just like her fucking sister had bailed on me all those years ago.