English Rose Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gojenngo
Gojenngo
762 Followers

Marcus shrugged, "Wrong place, wrong time."

Sabrina watched Marcus carefully, hardening her heart, she said, "Well, no good deed goes unpunished." Turning on her heels, she strode from the room.

"Take care of him," she told Dillon as she passed through the door and out into the light of the afternoon. Surprised, she stopped to find Douglas leaning against their carriage waiting for her. "What are you doing here?" she asked. "Did I run over my hour?"

Douglas searched her face; it was obvious that the visit had not been easy or pleasant. "No," he said. "I wasn't getting much work done so I thought I'd come and see you home."

Sabrina tilted her head considering Douglas as she walked towards him. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disrupt your day." She felt guilty for having caused him any distress with her visit.

Douglas shrugged and offered her hand up into the carriage. "It was nothing that couldn't wait," he said. "How was your visit?" he asked, trying for a casualness he didn't feel.

"As well as to be expected," Sabrina said. "Marcus refuses to offer for Miss Whitman."

"Did you honestly expect to change his mind?" Douglas asked, not unkindly.

Sabrina settled herself on the carriage seat, shaking out her skirt. "I don't know what I hoped to accomplish," she answered honestly. "I just..."

"Just what?" Douglas prompted when she grew quiet.

"I just want to see him happy," she said. "I know you have cause to resent Marcus but he took care of me. I mean it," she said when Douglas gave a snort. "You must understand that I was feeling a bit...reckless. Marcus worked to curb some of my wilder impulses and kept me from completely destroying my reputation. I know you don't want to hear this but it could have been much worse," she admitted.

Douglas searched her face. By silent agreement they had decided not to discuss the details of Sabrina's time with Edington - for now. Honestly, he wasn't sure if he would ever be ready to hear the details. "Well," he said. "I can appreciate that, I just don't know how charitable I can be when it comes to Edington."

Sabrina smiled up at Douglas. "All I ask is that you be patient with me where Marcus is concerned."

"I certainly hope you don't plan to make a habit of meddling in the man's life," Douglas said, his voice softening a bit.

"I don't meddle," Sabrina objected, her eyes narrowing at Douglas' look of disbelief. "Well, I don't! If Marcus would just listen..."

"Sabrina, leave the man alone," Douglas warned. "You've said your peace, be happy that he gave you that much. Push too hard and you'll alienate Edington entirely."

Sabrina looked up, knowing that Douglas was right she nodded. "Very well," she said. "Let's go home."

Marcus waited until he heard the door close quietly behind Sabrina before collecting himself. It took him considerably longer then I would have liked. Still, by early evening he was dressed, pressed and as close to sober as he'd been in days. "I'm going out," Marcus told Dillon.

"Yes sir," Dillon said, holding the door and wondering what Lady Radcliff had said.

"I should be home in time for dinner," Marcus said doning his coat and gloves. "Please see that something is prepared."

"Yes sir," Dillon said, smiling as he closed the door.

Joan sat with her parents in the library. Dinner would be served shortly but she found that she lacked much of an appetite. The house was a beehive of activity as the servants continued to pack for her trip, a constant reminder that in just two days time she'd be leaving London with no hope of returning any time soon.

"Begging your pardon, my lord, my lady," Edgar appeared at the library door. "Lord Edington asks if you are receiving?"

Joan's head snapped up and she watched as her parents shared a look of surprise.

"Thank you, Edgar," her father said. "Show Lord Edington to my study and let him know that I'll be along in a moment."

"Yes, my lord." Edgar said.

Lord Whitman waited until Edgar had disappeared before turning to his daughter. "Do you know anything about this?"

"No," she said shaking her head. "I can't think why Lord Edington would be calling."

"Very well," he said and walked from the room.

Marcus heard the brisk footsteps of Lord Whitman long before the man arrived in the study. Turning, he watched as Whitman hesitated for a barely preceptable moment before crossing the threshold. "Good evening, my lord. I apologize for arriving unannouced."

Whitman waived away Edington's apology. "I'll admit to some surprise, I had not expected to hear from you any time soon."

Edington nodded. Taking a deep breath, he said, "I've come to offer for your daughter."

Whitman blinked, his mouth opening and closing in surprise. "I beg your pardon?"

Marcus gritted his teeth, "I spoke plainly sir. I've secured a special license and the announcement will appear in tomorrow's paper..."

"Sir," Lord Whitman cut in, "Joanie confessed that you were not the man responsible."

Surprised, Marcus ask, "Did your daughter happen to mention the name of the man that is responsible?"

"No," Whitman confessed.

"Then it appears the situation is unchanged," Marcus said. "We will be married on Saturday. I've already seen to the church." Marcus had been busy since Sabrina's departure.

"Forgive me," Lord Whitman said, "but I don't understand. If you were to disclose the name of the man responsible I could insist on..."

"Are you saying you would rather have your daughter married to the blackguard that compromised her and then left her?" Marcus growled.

"No! That is I don't know given that I don't know the man's identity," Lord Whitman hurried. "It's just, begging your pardon my lord, but if you gave me the man's name then this would no longer be your responsibility."

Marcus considered; for reasons he refused to exam too closely he found himself unwilling to reveal Weaverly's part. "Whether you believe it or not you are getting a much better deal with me then with the man ultimately responsible."

Lord Whitman nodded. Despite his reputation Lord Edington was not a bad match for his daughter. He came from a long line of respectable individuals, held the title to a large estate and was the son and stepson of Lord and Lady Billings. While he was known to drink and gamble - well, who didn't indulge from time to time? "Very well," he said. "I will inform my daughter and Lady Whitman of the change in plans. If you send over the details I will make sure to have Joanie at the church on Saturday."

"Change in plans?" Marcus asked.

Whitman nodded as he walked Edington out, "We were preparing to send Joan to the country." Something flickered across Edington's face as he took his coat and gloves.

"I see," Marcus said and silently commending Sabrina on her foresight. As Marcus turned to leave, he said, "Until Saturday.

"Until then, my lord." Whitman said, watching as Edington turned and walked down the street eshewing a carriage or hackney despite the hour.

"Harold?" Lady Whitman asked from behind her husband.

"Come," he said, taking his wife's arm and leading her back into the library. "We need to speak with Joanie."

The next morning Douglas breakfasted with Sabrina. "Well I'll be..."

Sabrina looked up from her eggs at Douglas' muttered surprise, "What is it?"

Douglas folded the paper and passed it to his wife. "Read it for yourself," he said.

Sabrina felt her eyes go wide at the announcement.

"It would seem Edington took your advice and offered for Miss Whitman," Douglas said.

"I honestly didn't think he listened - or cared" she admitted.

Douglas considered his wife thoughtfully. "It would seem you hold considerably more sway over Edington then I had thought."

Sabrina looked up at the unfamiliar tone of Douglas' voice. "Does that bother you?" she asked.

Douglas shrugged. "It makes me wonder at the depths of his feelings for my wife."

"He cares, Douglas," she said, "as much as Marcus can care for anyone."

Watching his wife reread the announcement Douglas realized that whatever else had happened some how she had developed a friendship with Edington - and apparently the feeling was mutual. "Shall we attend?"

Sabrina's head snapped up in surprise, "We weren't invited," she said.

"I doubt anyone is," Douglas said, "but that won't stop the ton from turning out in droves."

Sabrina shook her head slowly. "No, I won't ask you to go through that." Her appearance at Marcus' wedding, even if escorted by her husband, would illicit endless speculation. "Besides, we're due to leave for Arlington Park on Saturday."

Douglas felt his pride eased a bit at her willingness to return to Arlington Park. He knew it to be genuine and that knowledge allowed him to insist, "We'll minimize the delay and leave directly after the ceremony."

"Are you certain?" Sabrina asked, knowing that it was selfish of her to accept Douglas' offer.

"Don't believe that my motives are purely selfless - I'll rest easier seeing Edington safely married," Douglas said, a hint of humor underlying his words.

Sabrina put the paper aside and slid into Douglas' lap. Wrapping her arms around his neck she pulled him close until they sat face to face. "I know that it may be too soon but I hope you know that you have nothing to worry about. While it would pain me to do so I would discontinue my friendship with Marcus if you asked."

Douglas wrapped his arms around his wife's waist enjoying the feel of her. It seemed a little thing but the moment meant more to him then she could possibly know. Such a simple thing - a wife settling herself on her husband's lap, feeling safe to do so - was a comfort he had longed to have in his marriage.

"I'm not thrilled with your relationship with Edington and I won't pretend otherwise. After everything that happened I made myself a promise to always be honest with you - regardless of what I fear the outcome may be." Douglas slid his hand up the length of her back and wrapped his fingers around the nape of her neck. "But there is no way to eliminate every situation that may cause concern or insecurity. I'd rather we relearn how to trust each other so that there is never any question."

Sabrina sighed as Douglas dug his fingers into the base of her neck, loosening the tight muscles and easing her tension. "I do trust you," she said and found it to be true.

"You do?" Douglas asked, obviously surprised.

Sabrina stared down into his face, "I do. I know that you didn't lie about everything and I realize that you handled things the only way you thought you could."

Douglas nodded, "I never meant to keep the truth from you. I kept waiting for the right time but it never seem to come. I thought to bind you to me with your affection so that once you knew you wouldn't leave. But, by then I'd come to care for you too much to risk loosing you."

"You don't have to explain," Sabrina said, resting her forehead against his, she ventured to ask. "Do you think that you will come to forgive me and trust me in return?"

Douglas took a deep breath...

"I know it's too soon," Sabrina said in a rush.

"It's not that I don't trust you or that I haven't forgiven the affair with Edington," Douglas said. "I think I've started down the path of both. It's more that the hurt is still there and the healing a delicate thing. When you went to call on Edington - I don't know, I just couldn't understand how you could want to see him again - not if you honestly care for me."

Sabrina felt her heart squeeze painfully. "I do care, Douglas. I don't think I would have reacted so strongly if I didn't. I don't think there could have been such anger without a passion to match. As for Marcus, I don't know how to explain. I know you don't want to hear it but he was there for me. And, for what it's worth, I think he's someone that hurts more then either of us can imagine."

Douglas wasn't sure he cared but wouldn't say so to his wife. It was obvious that she cared for Edington and if the price of having her back in his life was her friendship with the man then certainly Douglas could tolerate it. "Well, then the very least we can do is put in an appearance at his nuptials," Douglas said.

"If you're sure," Sabrina said.

Douglas nodded, "I'll inform the staff to see that everything is in ready for us to leave directly from the ceremony. The announcement said that there was to be a small celebration afterwards but only family was to attend. Edington and his new bride shouldn't mind if we don't linger."

"Thank you," Sabrina said, hugging him tight before slipping off of his lap. "I'll go see to the preparations."

Douglas watched his wife slip out of the breakfast room and heard her call for Jared and Martin. The two men had started accompanying his wife in all their travels. Martin seemed a bit smitten with his new mistress while Jared had an obvious fondness for her maid, the three servants coming together to make Sabrina's personal staff. Douglas found himself more amused by the whole thing despite having lost two of his best men to his wife.

****

Marcus stepped from the waiting room and nearly stumbled. The church was packed. Cursing silently to himself, he squared his shoulders before taking his place at the alter next to the priest.

From his vantage point he could see his mother and Lord Billings off to one side and Lord and Lady Whitman to the other. The rest of the church was packed with curiosity seekers all there for their own amusement.

Skimming over the crowd, his disgust at their gwaking barely masked, Marcus very nearly missed Sabrina, his eyes passing over her face before snapping back. She sat in the middle of the church, not hiding in the back nor up in the front with his family. Radcliff, a large, imposing figure beside her, narrowed his eyes slightly before giving Marcus a brief nod.

Turning back to Sabrina, Marcus noted a slight tension in her shoulders despite her obvious attempt at an air of relaxed casualness. She didn't smile or acknowledge him in anyway but her appearance said much in support of his marriage. He wondered briefly if his new bride would mind.

Speaking of, just then the sounds of music started and the back doors of the church opened. Miss Whitman, looking fey in a gown of pale blue, took one step into the church and stopped. Obviously unprepared for the crowd, her eyes went wide as she scanned the gathered guests before finally landing on Marcus.

For a breif moment, Marcus had the feeling that Miss Whitman was about to bolt. He absolutely would not blame her if she did. Forced to marry a man she'd only ever met once only to have the entire ton turn out to bare witness - it was any wonder she didn't run screaming.

Only instead of fleeing, Miss Whitman seemed to square her delicate shoulders before stepping more fully into the church. One foot in front of the other, she made her way down the isle to the alter.

Turning with her to face the priest, Marcus felt Miss Whitman shudder beside him. Looking down at the top of her head he was once again reminded of how petite she was. At the moment, her pixie like features appeared stark in a face gone too pale. Turning to her, he asked, "Are you alright?"

"My lord," the priest whispered urgently, "we are about to begin."

Marcus sent the man a look that had him snapping his mouth shut and taking a step back.

Marcus repeated his question, "Are you alright?"

Joan looked up at him and tried to give him a reassuring smile. "Not even close," she said.

Marcus resisted the urge to smile. "It's not too late," he said.

Joan cast a sideways glance at the gathered guests. "I respectfully disagree," she said. The church was packed, the entire ton having read the announcement in the paper and turning out to witness the impossible - Lord Edington's marriage.

Marucs didn't spare the guests a glance. "To hell with them," he said. "If you'd rather cry off now is the time to do it. Such a public rejection would go a long way towards repairing your reputation without requiring marriage to me."

Joan felt her eyes go wide in surprise. Lord Edington was correct. If she called off now the ton would have their satisfaction in that he had offered for her thus repairing her reputation. No one would blame her for crying off from marriage to a man with his reputation of questionable character. Still, Lord Edington wasn't her only issue. "I fear that my father has foreseen that possibility. He made it clear that my choices are marriage to you or marriage to Weaverly. He has sworn no rest for either of us until one or the other is done."

This time Marcus did smile. "Your father has a reputation - that of a dog with a bone - when he sinks his teeth into something he rarely lets go."

Joan nodded at Marcus' understanding. "My lord?" she asked.

"Hmm?" Marcus found himself distracted by the delicate gold of her eyelashes, long and pale they appeared to feather her cheeks every time she blinked.

"Why are you doing this?" Joan asked. Beside her the priest hummed in protest, eager to proceed.

"I have no idea," Marcus admitted looking up to find Miss Whitman watching him closely.

Joan nodded as if he'd just confirmed what she'd already come to suspect. "Very well then," she said and turned back to the priest. "As long as neither one of has a clue then we're both in good company."

Marcus choked back a laugh as he turned and gave the priest a nod. Relieved, the priest stepped forward and started the ceremony.

****

"Sabrina, please," Douglas implored, his voice heavily laced with exhaustion.

"It's not that I don't want to, Douglas," Sabrina said. "You know that I would be happy to help. Unfortunately, I am the last person your father wishes to see." Upon their return to Arlington Park, the duke had remained noticeably cool towards Sabrina.

"You needn't worry about that," he assured her. "He had a large dose of laudanum to help with the pain and should sleep through the night. I would ask George or Mae but both of them are just as exhausted as I am."

Sabrina crossed their suite to stand next to Douglas. He had entered their room and immediately collaposed into a chair by the fire. It was late afternoon and the house was quiet. It seemed to grow quieter with each passing day. Gently, she drew him to her so that his head rested against the flat of her stomach. "I am sorry, Douglas, I wish there was more I could do to help."

Douglas, Mae and George took turns sitting with the duke. When they weren't sitting with him they were busy trying to keep the duke's various holdings running and seeing to his estates. Mae still worked to manage the servants at Arlington Park though Sabrina had taken on as much of the responsibility as she could. The three of them were exhausted, Sabrina the only one of them managing to get anything close to a regular night's sleep.

"I know that my father has been short with you and I apologize but if you could sit with him tonight that would give the rest of us a chance to catch up on some sleep." Douglas had tried to ease his father's attitude towards Sabrina but the duke was stubborn. Rather then push the issue, Sabrina had convinced Douglas to let it go - reminding him that these were his last days with his father and to spend them well.

"Alright," Sabrina agreed. "I just don't want to see him upset."

"He won't even know you're there," Douglas assured her, standing to strip out of his clothes.

Sabrina watched him slip between the sheets before walking over and pressing a kiss to his brow. He blinked once, his eyes slow and heavy. "Wake me if you need anything," he said.

Slipping from the room, Sabrina let herself into the duke's quarters. Whispering a few words of reassurance, she ushered George from the room and took a seat next to the bed.

Gojenngo
Gojenngo
762 Followers