Enigma

Story Info
A comical end I think.
7.4k words
3.61
16.2k
25
0
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

If you are looking for sex. Sorry there is none in this story. So you might as well move on.

I started this story at the end of April 2023. Somehow, I lost track of the story. I do hope you all like it.

Enigma

By loveofmyLife75.

I was walking along the sea water's edge on a deserted beach. Looking out to sea and stopping from time to time. Picking up a few beach pebbles that I found at the water edge. Then I was throwing them as hard as I could, hoping I could hurt the sea. There was not a chance in hell of that. Mother nature had taken care of that.

I still picked up more pebbles and threw them so damn hard. I was trying to release my anger, my hate, my hurt, my rejection, my sadness. But the sea had done nothing wrong to me.

"Come on, get a grip of yourself," I said to myself.

The sea was about to turn. So, I headed back towards dry land. On my way back. The sand castles that had been built by young kids. With the help of their mothers and fathers, that stood in my way. I kicked them all down. My anger, my hate, my hurt, my rejection was still there. No way it was going away. I needed a drink or two.

I walked into a pub and ordered two pints and a whiskey. I sat down facing the other patrons. Men with girls walked past me. The men were all holding their backsides. I knew exactly what the pair of them were in for later that night. I gripped my teeth wishing that I was one of them.

I had best tell you the reason for my anger, my hate, my hurt, my rejection. Two or so hours before my girlfriend. Sorry my ex-fiancé had told me we were through. She had met someone else and she loved him more than me.

Thank God. I had not told my parents and her parents. The only reasons I could think of was that he was better in bed than me OR he was bigger than me. Well, I had to get over it, whatever it was.

Fuck it Sheridan Holm, I was wondering if. I had made the right choice when we got engaged. Well that's water under the bridge right now. Move the fuck on, and find a girl of your dreams.

In the pub a girl walked past me on the way to the loo sorry the lady's room. When she came back, she stumbled a little in front of me. Dropping a piece of paper on my table. She looked at me with a big smile indicating to me to pick up the paper.

She headed off towards either her husband or boyfriend glancing back at me. I picked up the piece of paper. On it was her name and telephone number. I had only just finished with my girlfriend. Now I have already clicked. I looked at her and she looked at me. I smiled; she smiled back at me. I gave her a nod of approval.

About twenty minutes later. I sat there drinking my second pint and another girl was heading to the lady's room. On her return she did the exact same thing as the first girl. I clicked for the second time.

I had not said a word to either of them. She sat down and looked at me. I nodded again. She knew what it meant.

I finished off my pint and whiskey then I left the pub and went home to my rented flat. The two girls were of different shapes and sizes but they all wanted one thing. Right Sheridan Holm. It is about time for you to make your mind up on what type of woman you want. That you may want to marry one day.

Put it down on paper and be sure what you want in a woman of your dreams. So, out came the pen and paper.

For me she had to have an hourglass shape. Go for 36-24-36. Women's busts were important to me. She must have a good set of child bearing hips. Well, I wanted at least four kids. She must have a pleasant sense of humour and have some brains. And easy to talk to, and I to her.

Not wanting a blonde bimbo. Her hair colour was not that important to me. Even if she was not one of them that changes the colour now and then. She does not have to be a raving beauty. But she must be attractive. But before we are to be married we would make a solemn oath to each other not to cheat on each other. Well, it was a short list. So, Sheridan. It is time to find the ideal woman of your dreams.

Then I remembered those two pieces of paper from the pub. Both women had shown me in a second or too they were willing to cheat. Both pieces of paper went in the bin. That was exactly where they both belonged. As for cheats, I do not like them one little bit. If my wife would cheat on me, she had better watch out?

My mind went back to what my father had said to me. Before I left home.

"Make your way in the big wide world to make your fortune," My father had said to me.

It was high time for me to wake up and get a grip on my life.

+++++

I decided it was time to visit my mother and father. I told the landlord I was leaving the flat. They lived 400 miles from where I was living. Packed my bags, heading home on my bike. In the early hours of the morning the following day. Most of the trip was on good roads, so it was going to take me about six hours.

My mother burst into tears as soon as she saw me. My father shocks my hand like he always did from me being a little boy. That night they both asked me If had I found the right girl to marry yet. I told them, I thought I had, but she went off with someone else.

My father and I went to the pub. Somehow, he knew I was having troubles in my love life. He asked me about it. So, I told him about my last girlfriend. Dad told me I had good qualifications. Go abroad for a couple of years and find my way. If you need money to get back home, phone him. But do not tell your mother.

I stayed for a week and made my plans. Europe was where I was heading. Three or four months in one country then moving on was my plan. With passport in hand, and my credit cards with my qualifications. Packed two suitcases of clothes and what money I had. Then I headed off to Europe. My mother tried to get me to stop at home, my father told her. That I will be back soon. He knew exactly what I was going to do from day one.

I stayed away from home for eighteen months. And visited a clinic in every country. I telephoned home and told my father the time the Aeroplane was to land. Asking him would he pick me up. We spoke in the car. He asked me if I was ready to settle down and find a lovely girl. I told him yes.

Now I am nearly twenty-four with no job. I had to find work. My father had been in the army. In the military police and he left the army he went into the police force. He told me to become a COPPER, sorry a policeman and become a detective because I was so bright.

The following day. I applied to the police force and was accepted because of my qualifications. And I had seen life. My basic training was due in two weeks' time. So, I worked in the local supermarket loading shelves, pushing trolleys for a pound or two.

Eyeing up the women. The married ones were off limits as soon as I saw their wedding rings. There was no way I was going to become a cheat. Or even break up someone else's marriage.

That night after I applied to go to the police my father told me my Uncle Peter wanted to see me. The following night. I called off at my uncle's house. His house was twice as big as my mothers and fathers and he always gave me a big hug and called me son. My Uncle turned around and fell, I managed to grab hold of him to stop him from falling.

"Thanks son," he said to me with a smile on his face.

We walked to his favourite chair and I sat him down.

My father had said, "You wanted to see me, Uncle Peter?"

"Yes son, give me a minute or two then I will tell you why."

My Uncle showed me around his house. Pointing out to me where all the security cameras and microphones were. They had all been well concealed. Then we went down to his cellar. I was full of all types of different wines from around the world.

"Son please tell me what you see."

"Uncle, thousands of bottles of wine, it must have cost you a packet," I said to him.

"Son, please look again."

I looked all round and all I could see was wine bottles on purposely made racks. As I wandered round the cellar.

"Uncle, all I can see is racks full of bottles of wine."

My Uncle went to a wall where there was a small rack of wine on it. He removed one bottle and pushed a button. The rack of wine swung open. There was a door which was hidden by the wood panelling protecting the wine from the wall. He had in his hand the key that opened the door, then he was switching the light on. The room was full of old VCR recording equipment. And new DVD recording equipment, TV screens and new laptops.

My Uncle turned to me saying, Son, I have left this house and all the contents to you in my will. Also, all my money in the bank. You must always be the sole owner of this house and you must. NEVER EVER. I repeat. You must NEVER EVER, even when you get married. Put it into JOINT NAMES. You will receive a letter from my lawyer. After you have been married for five years or when you reach the age of thirty. In the letter are a few things you need to know?

I looked at my uncle with my mouth wide open. I was dumbstruck.

"Son, tomorrow we will meet my lawyers at ten am. I will sign everything over to you tomorrow. Son, I am dying and your mother knows. I may have a month or six weeks to live or I could drop dead tomorrow. I want to see you every other night until I drop dead. Will you please come and visit me," My uncle said to me.

I had no option but to say yes. I told my Uncle I would visit him every other night from now on.

I went out dancing, going to the movies and social clubs. One night while I was in the dance hall. I had the courage to ask a heavenly body for a dance. Yes, I do mean a heavenly body.

She looked exactly like what I wanted. To what I had put down on paper almost two years before. An hourglass shape figure, nice bust, her hips looked like she had child bearing hips. She was not a blonde, She had long brown hair. She was so attractive to me. As for having a sense of humour with brains. And easy to talk to, only time would tell that.

I walked over to the two girls and said to the one with the heavenly body. "May I have the pleasure of this dance with you," Looking deep into her eyes.

She looked into my eyes and did a double take on me looking me up and down. Then her eyes met mine. She spluttered for a second and said," Yes."

We danced the night away. But I had to have a few dances with her friend until some lucky chap asked her to dance with him. My heavenly body girl name was Pam Morris. Through all our dances our eyes never left each other. I do not even remember if I stood on her toes or not. If I did, Pam never spoke about it. That was the beginning of our love affair. The nights I did not visit my Uncle Peter I was with Pam.

When I started training it was hard enough that I was getting fit at last. After the fourth week. It was a Thursday night. I called off at my Uncle's, I found him dead on the living room floor. I did all the usual things, phoned my mother and father, and told them to come round right away Uncle Peter is dead.

+++++

When my parents arrived, my mother was sobbing her heart out. My father got on with it. All I could think of at the time was due to his police training. My father told me I had to see Uncle Peter's lawyer as soon as possible.

I was in my Uncle's lawyer office and after all the red tape. My uncle's property belongs to me and only me. The lawyer gave me a formal letter addressed to the bank manager of my Uncle's bank. Late on Monday. I was in the bank with the letter after my police training course had finished.

The bank manager made a telephone call. He called the lawyer to confirm my name Sheridan Holm and my address. After the confirmation that I was genuine he opened a file. I was shocked at how much money my Uncle had left me. I was rich beyond my wildest dreams.

I left with a spring in my step no more money worries for me. I went home and told my parents how much Uncle had left me. My mother burst into tears and my father shook my hand as normal. Nothing ever changes.

All through my police training at night. I was with Pam. Yes, at last, I had found love. And Pam was the same with me. I completed my training and came first in my year. I was recommended to be transferred. To the detective side of the police force immediately.

I passed out and was a street copper for a month. But I applied to be a detective police officer. I could not believe my luck. I was on the bottom run of the ladder becoming a detective. I went home and told my father he gave me a smile and shook my hand as usual.

Three months before we were married, we made a solemn oath to each other not to cheat on each other. Then Miss. Pam Morris became Mrs. Pam Holm.

I had a big house left to me. All I now needed was a few kids of my own? I wanted to wait at least five years. And Pam wanted to become a manager at the bank before she wanted kids and stay at home. So that was what we agreed on.

The following year for some unknown reason at twenty-five, I was a full-blown detective. It should have taken me at least three or four years. One day in the station. I sat with some of the older officers. Some of them were talking about their wives and kids. And about other things. This is what I heard while I was sitting at the table.

"The divorce rate for us coppers is high, because of the long hours and getting called out. Not getting much home life. Copper's wives tend to cheat on their husbands. That is why so many of us older men drink alone in coffee shops and bars at night."

That made me pick my ears up. Then someone else spoke. "Keep them well fucked and poorly shod with a house full of kids. So, they had no time to cheat on you."

I was thinking to myself there was no way my Pam would ever cheat on me. We had made an agreement before we wed. So, I decided it was sour grapes for a few unlucky coppers.

+++++

I was good at my job. As far as I was concerned it was all elementary thinking with sound logic looking out for the clues. I was solving crimes week in week out. Mainly about robbery and some gang busting. Then one day in the station.

Jim called out and was pointing at me," look out here comes Sherlock Holmes."

From that day onwards my coppers name in the station was Sherlock Holmes. It was not easy to work out the reason why.

On my desk appeared a new name plate that read. 'Detective Sherlock Holmes.' Two weeks later I got a shock. I was on the murder and robbery squad. The chief inspector thought that was the ideal place for me to be. I called off at my parent's house on my way home to tell them. I was on the murder and bank robbery squad.

Mum was so pleased for me and my father with a little grin was shaking my hand as usual. I went home to tell Pam my news. She was pleased for me. But she was not happy with it.

I was introduced to my partner. Her name. Yes her name was Josephine Wilson. She told me to call her 'Jo'. Well 'Jo' was a bit of an enigma. Most of us thought she was one of two things. First looking for a fellow police officer to marry. Or she was a dyke. But she was a good looker as well. I could make out in the clothes she was wearing.

I met all my new police officers in the squad. They were telling me finding the murders was not so easy. It had to be airtight before we went to court. You must dot the "I" and cross the "T"s. Double check and double check again. In the first month. I was still learning the ropes. And taking part in murder cases. Then I had my chance to excel. I was on a murder case of my own with 'Jo'.

I was lucky in my first three murder cases. There were plenty of witnesses. So within a very short space of time. I had three murders locked up. Well my luck ran out. My next case. I found out how hard it was. At that time 'Jo' and I were getting along fine. I did the questioning of the men and 'Jo' did the questioning of the women. Since we were a team.

Talking to villains and checking out statement after statement and the hours. God the hours. They were not eight to five. I could be out for twenty-four hours chasing the villain.

When I eventually got home, I was dead on my feet. I was glad at last I had the murder under lock and key. It had taken me months of hard slog. But I had him. I could now relax until the trail came up. But the long hours finding the villain was worth it.

I was always looking for a quiet time when I got home. To my lovely wife for some R and R. Pam always threw her arms round me kissing me to death. She was so glad I came home in one piece. The R and R was great. The quiet times we made full use of our time together. There was always some type of case waiting for me.

The last two months it may have been three before Christmas. Our R and R were dropping off every week. I put it down to me working for hours on end. Pam had started going out with her workmates on those Friday girl's nights out? And other nights?

And the trial for my last murder case was due in court. I thought I had every piece of evidence all wrapped up. But the plenty of witnesses that I thought I had. They changed their evidence in the witness box. All told more or less the same story. But he got off with it. Yes he was the murder and a bank robber as well. All the other officers in the station thought that I had the prof as we referred to him. But he had plenty of friends? Even by Dotting the "I" and crossing the "T"s. The case failed.

Next month. I had two opportunities to question him about robberies. At the end of our last meeting. He told me to lay off or he would get even. I asked him if that was a treat. He told me not just advice. 'Jo' was not there so no witness to what had been spoken.

+++++

Pam even had to go to the Bank Christmas party alone? When she came home, she was so, so happy. I thought she had got the job of manager at last. That should have made me think but it did not sink in what was happening?

In our so-called spare time, we use our time to do other investigations. It was like old time's sake catching the villains.

After Christmas. I was telling 'Jo' about what I thought were problems with Pam and I. She listened to me but did not pass any comments. I started to have a drink with 'Jo' at the end of the day. But now I was thinking 'Jo' had other ideas about me. I was looking at her as a woman not as a copper as I did before?

+ + + ++

It was a Friday afternoon in late March. I was watching a recording in the station. It was about a big robbery and a shooting. At a bank in early March. That happened to be the same name of the bank that Pam worked for. Like two previous robberies at the same bank names? One in January and the second in February. They had six local branches in a fifty-mile radius. Pam worked at head office.

Because I was watching a recording of a robbery. I then remembered Uncle Peter's cellar. No, it was not for the wines. Pam and I had been drinking a few bottles. It was for the hidden recording equipment. When Uncle had removed one bottle. Pushed a button and the rack of wine had swung open. With the wood panelling protecting the wine from the wall. Behind the rack was a door. I had the only key.

Then I was thinking about the nights before Uncle Peter dropped dead. He had told me all sorts of things. But he had gone to great lengths to tell me all about the new DVD recording equipment. TV's and new laptops. The recording equipment was on six separate long players. All interlinked so when one was full it switched to the next and so on. He had it set up for 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

As luck would have it. We had a power failure and the system booted back up the month after we were married in August. Then it would start all over again. Also, Uncle had a separate PC to transfer recording on to it for safe keeping.

Then I had to think. Uncle Peter had pointed it out to me. Where all the security cameras and microphones were. They had been all well concealed. When I got home Pam had left me a note. She had gone out with friends for a girl's night out. My dinner was in the oven.

12