Faithful? Fateful

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

What he said carried some weight. I had been thinking about Gail since I was first brought in for questioning. She'd copped out of the weekend, claiming she'd be too upset. Then she'd shown up anyway, on Saturday, conveniently finding the grizzly scene - too conveniently. I began to realize she was not only involved, but had likely been the one to set me up. I needed to speak with Alvin about that call.

And where the fuck was Janet? She seemed to love her husband, at least enough to die with him. I perked up a bit realizing that Alvin was right: there were still two people who had opportunity besides me. Gail certainly had a motive - mine, basically. Sexism's a bitch.

After my cellmate fell asleep, I was back at it in the dark. It was easier to view the photos in almost no light - not on my eyes, but on my heart.

John and my wife lay nude in his bed, stabbed to death. It almost seemed staged, with both of them on their backs, her left hand touching his right. Her rings were prominently displayed. Jacki was also in bed, in her assigned room, I supposed wearing just a bloody T-shirt. She had a crazed look on her face, and even though her body wasn't in a defensive position, I had a feeling she had put up a struggle. Larry was face-down in the hallway between his room and John's. There was a huge pool of blood; he'd been a big guy, so that made sense. Someone had gotten him in the back. That had been wise on the killer's part. Larry wasn't just a big, fat lump. He could've done some real damage in a head-on fight.

The other photos seemed unrelated to the crime, but I understood that certain things could be used later as theories were developed and discarded. The one that stood out right away was the kitchen knife holder, missing one butcher's knife.

Gail and her attorney had gone into great detail in her statement to Detective Solomon. In my opinion, it was almost enough to implicate her. She'd gone into great detail about the lunch meetings that she and John had had with Molly. She'd described Molly as troubled, maybe even fearful of her husband. That wasn't true, of course, but I had little doubt if we went to trial, she'd be spinning that web further.

She went on to say, "Probably why she refused sex with my husband during those previous four years." She'd set me up as much as she had my wife, if in fact she was the killer.

Then it dawned on me that lots of people besides Gail or Janet could have also committed the crime. Maybe John had been into something illegal at work. Maybe he'd been skimming - and maybe not off the company itself, but a vengeful client. Maybe he'd been rushed off to London because of something scandalous he'd done, and the company had needed to save face. If that was true, Molly would have almost certainly known, and possibly been involved.

In fact, if Gail was involved, it seemed odd for her to make such a big deal about both the lover's post-nups. Her behavior was baffling to me. She seemed so intent on pinning everything on me that she didn't seem to realize, or care, that she was establishing her own motive to murder her husband and my wife. Lying there, in my dark cell, I became frustrated. I'd only created more questions for myself, and gotten fewer answers.

The next morning after breakfast, I was led into a small room with only a desk and two chairs. This was going to be me and Alvin's conference room for the next several weeks.

"Your PI's all sent me everything they had from the investigations," Alvin started. "I must say, this John Decker was squeaky clean - your wife also. I guess I'll just have to keep digging."

The next meeting was three days later - Friday - a whole week after this debacle had begun. Al seemed surprised when I took charge.

"I need to sign some sort of affidavit to give you power of attorney, right?" I started.

"Not an affidavit, but essentially yes," he replied. "You know to cover things, while you're in here. Mortgage, utilities and so on."

"Exactly," I continued. "I'd like you and Bob Voss to have co-power of attorney for bills, and to keep the prosecutors from freezing my funds. I have about 4 grand in checking and a little over $250,000 in savings. You can obviously transfer what's needed into checking.

"Here's a letter for my parents, and another one for Molly's parents." I paused and handed him the envelopes. "One for my brother, and this last one, for my last PI firm. I want him to follow Gail, day and night. I don't care about the cost. I want to know when she's taking a piss. You tell him, right now, Gail will probably be playing the grieving widow and not making any serious moves. After John's funeral, I want someone glued to her hip. I want him to put feelers out on Janet. Anywhere a credit or debit card pings. I want him to find a way to monitor Gail's finances too. Any large deposits or withdrawals, other than John's life insurance. Have him find out if she still plans to leave for Europe now that her husband is... retired."

That last comment didn't sit well with Alvin. "Tom, I know you have hate and anger for your wife's paramour, but I'm cautioning you right now: don't talk about John Decker at all unless you say something that's perceived as you being sad he's gone. Assume that literally everyone in here is a snitch, because they are.

"I'll have to clear this with the prosecutor - giving your letter to Molly's parents," Alvin continued. That's a law now. The DA's office will almost surely read your letter first, which means I'll need to read it before giving it to them. Can I read it now, in case I need you to make changes?"

I gave him permission. I could practically see the words in my mind as he read them for himself.

Mike and Lucille,

Molly and I were very happy, I thought. We were in love. I loved her, and in many ways I still do. Four years ago, Molly fell in love with her boss. Her words, not mine. She told me she loved me, in fact, but was 'in love' with John Decker. Again her own words, told to me on the last day I saw her. Yes, I've been arrested. And accused, I suppose, probably already tried in some people's minds. That's to be expected. I have bigger things to worry about.

First, I need to mount my defense. Then, find whoever killed my wife and your daughter. And then lastly, to make them pay. I will not rest until all three are accomplished. You know what kind of man I am and you know I've never lied to you, so I won't say 'the thing.' You should already know it. I didn't go into a rage or lose my mind when Molly ambushed me on this weekend at the lake. I simply begged her to leave with me. Later that first night, seeing her by the pool with her lover made me mad enough to confront HIM. Then I left. After a fitful night, I was clearer in my resolve to divorce Molly. Had she come home as promised, that's what I would have done. She knew how I felt about what she was doing.

I will miss Molly always. I'm truly sorry for our combined loss. When I find and deal with the perpetrator you'll be first to know.

Respectfully,

Tom

"Seems pretty straightforward, Tom," Alvin said, returning the letter to its envelope. "Not sure you want to say 'sorry' in there, though. The prosecution could try to use that against you."

"Just leave it, Al. We'll be able to explain it." Alvin was not used to taking orders from his clients.

My letter to my parents was quite different. They lived five states over, and because I was a late baby, they were also elderly and less mobile. I reassured them of my innocence, and that I would reunite with them soon. I told them how much I loved them, and asked them to try not to worry too much.

My brother, Robert - we all called him Buddy - I asked to watch over my house and to take care of some things for general upkeep, or just pay someone. I told him how to get in touch with Alvin for money or anything else, and that I loved him.

The Al asked me a strange question.

"Tom," He began, "At any time while you were at the cabin, did you see Larry in possession of a gun - a pistol?"

"No." I stated. "Never once. He had a handgun?"

"Yes, and rounds were spent." Al explained. "Well, at least one round was fired. Forensics shows gunpowder residue on Larry's dominant hand and a bullet was found in the wall at the end of the hallway, nearest the room you said you were given. The second round hasn't been located."

That was odd to me, and Al seemed perplexed as well. I could see the gears turning as he pondered how it might help us.

Life moved slowly forward for the next month. The courts were backlogged as usual, so I had a singular goal: trying not to lose my mind in jail. The idea that I could not only find Molly's murderer, but also exact some vengeance kept me going most of the time.

Almost thirty days after I'd been arrested, Alvin and I sat down for yet another meeting. I was not prepared for what he told me, though.

"Tom," he started. "I've spoken with the District Attorney just an hour ago. They're prepared to move forward to trial."

He waved his hand, seeing I was about to come unglued. "Tom, even with our evidence - your phone location, the initial interview with the detectives, numerous cameras along your route going home, they still feel confident or they wouldn't be going forward. Mrs. Decker has been fully cooperating and her attorney has provided an alibi for most of the time between when you left the house and the time she allegedly found the crime scene. They've asked me to make an offer. Let me explain the offer first, then I'll answer your questions, and explain how I think we should proceed and why, okay? Plead guilty and the DA will recommend leniency at sentencing, considering the stress you were under that day. That still puts you in prison for quite a long time."

"Why would they offer something like that?" I asked, stricken. "Do they think it's open and shut case?"

"No, they don't," Al said. "It's going to be a fight for both sides. They know we have angles. They're also completely aware that you're rotting in a cell already, and that you're shouldering one hundred percent of the risk. That's how this game is played."

"Okay," I stammered. This was confusing. "Then why bother, especially since they know there are other suspects out there?"

"Two things, as far as I can see," Al reminded me, as he started explaining. "The knife in your possession and it's an election year. That's why they're willing to go to trial. But if you take the deal, the DA has a story to tell that plays well in the papers. You get a little leniency because you got caught up in an epic clusterfuck of infidelity and intolerable cruelty, and ultimately took responsibility for your rampage, saving the state the expense of a trial, and the victims' loved ones the pain of a public spectacle. That's how the 'order' part works, Tom.

We were both silent for several minutes. Al and I had developed a weird relationship. He was the messenger I always wanted to kill, but there were moments when I thought to myself that I actually kind of liked him. He was no-nonsense and an honest man.

"Tom," he said softly, "I can't tell you how to proceed. I can't do that because I can't predict the future. As your attorney, I suggest you trust me, and we go to trial. Their evidence is circumstantial, and ours doesn't have to be nearly as solid as theirs, in theory. Your alibi's not perfect, but it's better than decent. They have a knife, with blood from everyone, and in such condition they can likely prove it was the murder weapon. They have Larry's pistol with two rounds missing, but only one discovered. We still have Gail but more importantly, Janet, because she hasn't turned up. Gail is the key here. If we can trip her up on the stand, we not only have reasonable doubt, but have a shot at making her a credible suspect."

I decided to trust Al. We proceeded to trial. Ther were manu emotional ups and downs, as the trial dragged on. Some days were better than others, though I was hardly qualified to keep score. Some days, I got the feeling that Al's cross-examination had gone really well. Other days, it felt like he was just ticking boxes while the prosecution steamrolled me.

Al kept reminding me Gail was the key. She was to be the prosecution's final witness, meaning we were both playing the same game. The DA's betting she'd be an emotional superstar of a witness, and All hoping to prove her the villain. With reasonable doubt the goal, we had the easier job.

"Objection, you honor!" Al exclaimed, full of vehemence. "Leading the witness."

"I withdraw my question," the prosecutor said, walking back to his table. He had just been expounding on my state of mind during the phone call between Gail and I that Friday afternoon. No matter how many words he tried to put in Gail's mouth - in the form of questions - she wasn't putting on the performance needed to make me out as the homicidal maniac.

Gail had been on the stand for three days, laying it on pretty thick. She was playing the poor, grieving widow, just about to get on with her new life in London with her husband. I saw through her act, but, being the defendant, I couldn't just stand up, point my finger, and scream, "She's a liar, everyone!" I kept telling myself that Al would get his crack at her.

I tried to pay attention to everything, but three days was a long time, and direct examination could get very dry. My mind wandered; would I be dead too, had I remained at the cabin? I'd tossed that around a lot, and had come to the conclusion, that yes, Gail would have killed me without a second thought. I believed that their meetings and the post-nup had all been a smokescreen, making it appear that she had taken great steps to separate the pair going forward. They also helped imply that she truly loved John.

My theory was that John had told her how he'd felt about Molly. Hell, he'd come right out and admitted he loved her and wanted to sleep with her. It would be hard for any spouse to accept that, and for a person like Gail, it would have been impossible.

The real question was if Gail was diabolical enough to temper her rage into cold steel, planning not only his demise but all the others', and then executing - pun intended. Could she have even pulled it off? I didn't think I could have stabbed four other people - well, I don't think I would have succeeded in killing all of them that way, anyway. Larry had been there specifically to 'keep an eye' on me so I wouldn't cause trouble. The biggest guy I'd ever met was therefore on high alert to my presence and movements. I leaned in to discuss that with Al. We had this thing going where I'd notice something slightly off or out of place, mention it, and he'd make a note on his pad for later, and then we'd talk about it during recess.

The PI reports made me feel even worse than when they'd come up empty on John and Molly. Gail was indeed the grieving spouse, making arrangements for John's passing. Her family had been coming over regularly to help handle John's affairs and dispose of various household items. I did learn that Gail still had plans to move to Europe. That came as a surprise; again, she seemed to be flirting dangerously close to acting guilty. The prosecution laid out the reasons for her move though. She already had a home they had set up before the murder. She also had a job with a major London-based charity.

And where the hell was Janet?

Al's cross was an all-out assault. The DA objected almost non-stop to Alvin's lines of questioning. Why would she and John have a huge guy like Larry present, for such a small-statured man like me, if she wasn't worried about her ridiculous plan to begin with?

Gail countered that was exactly the point. Everyone, including my wife, was concerned about my so-called 'temper.' ' Luckily, Al had multiple witnesses on call from Molly's circle of influence to dispute those claims - but as his cross of Gail continued, I became convinced that he'd been right all along. The jury needed to suspect her, because of her own testimony. That afternoon, Alvin switched direction with Gail, to discuss why she and John had hired Jacki.

"You don't know what, Mrs. Decker?" Al hammered her. "That the hooker you hired would be adequate, or that your husband was going to engage in an extramarital affair?"

More shocked murmurs from the gallery. The judge glared and moved for his gavel.

"Objection!" the District Attorney shouted. "Your Honor, he's clearly badgering the witness. And with all due respect to the deceased, I ask that word be stricken from the record. She was a sex worker."

"Overruled, counsel." The judge quickly replied, although he did instruct the recorder to strike 'hooker.' "Please answer the question, Mrs. Decker."

"That she would be... adequate," was Gail's much quieter response.

"And could you please tell the court how much you paid for said services?" Al continued.

Gail was quiet, seemingly trying to figure out where this line of questioning was going. "Two-thousand."

"That's awfully expensive for a hook... sex worker, isn't it?" I wasn't sure where Al was going either.

"She isn't...wasn't a hooker, she was a high-priced escort."

"And still you weren't sure?" Al pressed.

"No." Gail found herself in a pickle of sorts. "I don't know Tom... Molly's husband that well. We met a few times, at company events. So that's why I wasn't sure."

"Why not ask Molly?" My brilliant Alvin asked the obvious. "I mean, you planned all this out with her and your husband during numerous meetings, right? Or was it your husband's idea to hire this... escort?"

"Badgering the witness, Your Honor!" The DA was pissed now.

"Sustained," said the judge. "Do you have a point here Mr. Solomon? If so, let's get to it."

"Thank you, Your Honor." Alvin turned to face Gail directly as he approached her, and leaned on the witness chair's rail with his forearm. "I'll rephrase. Mrs. Decker, why weren't you at the cabin that weekend?"

"I...I didn't think I could handle being there. Having my nose rubbed in it." The lying bitch had real tears.

"But it was fine to rub Tom... my client's nose in it, wasn't it?" Alvin kept the pressure on. "He was as much a part of your plan as the other 'character actors,' right?"

"No!" Gail almost shouted. "We... I needed him to see what was going to happen first hand. Yes, I knew it would hurt him, just like me, but I needed him to know, and... be there, at least for a while, to make sure he kept his wife on a short leash in the future. I didn't know he would react like that. Go berserk and kill everyone."

"Move to strike, your honor; supposition," Alvin said, as if knowing it was coming.

"Sustained. Recorder, please strike those last two sentences from the record."

"So, Mrs. Decker, let's get this straight." I could tell Al was winding up for the big pitch. "You concocted this so-called plan. You blackmailed your husband and his potential lover - in fact, made her your husband's lover by giving her a clear path - and then tricked her husband into being there? Is there anything else? I mean, that's pure evil, but of course you're sorry now, so I guess it's okay."

"Objection Your Honor!" The DA was losing patience fast.

"Sustained," the judge said immediately. "Last warning, Mr. Solomon."

"Alright, Mrs. Decker, let's try this again," he said in a low, purposeful tone. "Why would you want Molly's husband there in the first place, the last place and any other reason in between?"

Gail thought momentarily. "Women are different than men. We can separate love and sex. I could give my husband this gift, and then I could forgive him under the right conditions - the conditions I set, and thought long and hard about. I expected Tom... Mr. Whitmore to be upset, confused, and probably his male ego and pride to take a big hit. Like I said, I don't really know him. Maybe he was the kind of man who liked a little on the side and it wouldn't be as big a deal. When I spoke to him on the phone, I knew I'd made a grave misjudgment. He was... beyond angry. You heard the tape."