Fear Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Before she could gut the traitor however, the second guard was already in motion. A brutal elbow strike knocked the traitor to the ground. There was a brief pause as Janet and the guard made eye contact. She looked surprised, but he just looked mad. Gregory on the other hand... Was furious. Storming towards the traitor, he systematically stomped on the mans joints. Janet turned away from the scene, while she had no doubt as to whether the traitor deserved this treatment. It still made her uneasy to watch. It wasn't long before the screams were cut short, signalling for Janet to turn around. Gregory stood, huffing and puffing, clutching a long curved dagger above a clothed pile of dust.

"That looks like our murder weapon then." Janet said softly.

Gregory nodded without speaking, and slipped the blade into his own belt.

Janet turned to the surviving guard, "what's your name?"

"Lucas, ma'am. I've done Mauy Thai for decades." Lucas grinned, "and don't worry about me ma'am, I won't need to feed for another week or so, I'm just happy you're safe."

Janet watched him take several steps back, she was impressed. The slight nod from Gregory was the final straw. "Change of plans Lucas," Janet smiled, "welcome aboard."

The man merely nodded in thanks, but Janet spotted a slight shift in his demeanour, it was only natural to be relieved after all. "Thank you ma'am."

"Now... Gregory, could you be so kind as to retrieve my daughter, while Lucas here changes the tyre?" Janet smiled sweetly... Hopefully this plan would go without a hitch.

Gregory immediately stormed back through the entrance, heading to the medical wing. Lucas took it upon himself to get started on the tyre. Ten minutes later, Lucas was in the drivers seat, when the rear door opened. It was quite a surprise when the Queen climbed into the back seat, followed by Maree.

"We had to know who to trust." Janet said, climbing in after the pair, "after how you handled yourself earlier, I am happy to vouch for you."

Lucas couldn't help the small grin that escaped, "thank you ma'am, I'm in your debt."

"It's Janet, Lucas," she smiled, "we're all friends here."

"Thank you Lucas," chimed in Brittany, "I appreciate what you've done, but please... Take me to John..."

...John...

Blowing the hallway and getting out only took a matter of seconds. Slashing the tyres on all the cars took several minutes. But driving home took hours... Hours he hated with his very soul... Hours he ached to have back with Brittany... Hours where Grace spent her time nervously wondering if she should speak, or just leave him to his mood.

"It was necessary," John said softly, pulling the car into the underground car park. "I wanted to be sure if anyone was followed, it would be me."

Grace nodded, she'd figured as much, "were we followed?"

"I certainly hope not," John grinned. "You'll have to put the cloak back on, just in case. At least until we get back to the apartment."

Grace nodded, pulling the cloak around her shoulders again. John quickly stepped out of the vehicle, and opened the door for her. He spent a few moments scanning the car park before helping Grace stand. A few minutes later, that god awful DING let John know he was on the right floor. It had only been a few days, but it felt like a lifetime since he had been back to his home. It was a risk coming here, there was no guarantee that Jonah hadn't found it. But he didn't think it would be guarded, and they wouldn't be here long regardless.

John was pleasantly surprised however when he found his home in the same condition as it was when he left. Either it was cleaned after it was searched, or it hadn't been found... John could only hope. A little over an hour later, John got an urge to put on a pot of tea. He mentioned in passing to Grace what he was doing. She merely nodded, still unsure of how to deal with the grumpy sentinel. John however, had an inkling of his mood... She was close...

Filling the pot with hot water, John gave it a quick stir before replacing the lid.

KNOCK KNOCK

John's breath caught. As instructed, Grace was the one to open the door. John waited in the kitchen until he heard the click of the lock, and faded into the plane of time.

He walked calmly towards the door, it was only open a fraction. If it were him that opened the door, he wouldn't have time to shift after coming face to face with a potential threat. Opening the door himself while in the plane of time could have catastrophic consequences for the door. But with it already partially open, he could simply move Grace, and do what needed to be done.

Stepping forwards, he gently lifted Grace from where she stood, and positioned her to fall onto the couch. Turning back, he slowly opened the door, smiling as he found himself face to face with Brittany. John wrapped his arms gently around her shoulders, and while placing a kiss firmly on her lips, faded back into the normal flow of time.

Multiple things happened all at once, Grace screamed after seemingly being teleport ed to another spot, Janet and the others jumped back in shock from the sudden movement. But stranger still, was the knowledge, that he and Brittany were inexplicably linked. So much so, she must have already felt him coming, and her only reaction to his sudden appearance was to kiss back. There was not a moments hesitation, and John loved her all the more for it.

John held her firmly in his arms until a polite cough caught his attention.

"We better get inside, John" Janet chuckled, "George here has heard great things about your tea, would you care to indulge him?"

John tried his best to keep a solid frown on his face, but Janet's blank expression, mixed with George's horrified one, had John biting his own tongue trying not to laugh. Ushering everyone inside, John smiled apologetically at Grace as he made his way to the kitchen. A few minutes later, John carried back a tray laden with cups of tea.

"My apologies Janet, it seems Brittany hasn't seen fit to bake any more cookies lately." John said with mock sincerity.

"My John... Was that a joke?" Janet asked softly.

"Leave him be dear," George huffed.

John just sat for a moment... Where the fuck did that come from?... He reflected on his past life. There were seldom smiles in the last few years, fewer still any reason to laugh. Did Brittany really have this great an impact on his life... Or was it something else? Deciding to ignore her comment for the moment, John just decided to sip his tea.

Janet took the time to bring John back up to speed. Describing the solitary incident after he had left. The first stop they had made was to the safe house. This is where Lucas was waiting with Maree while she fed and recovered. Gregory himself was waiting in the car, ever watchful for danger.

John took a moment to refill his cup. "We should move tonight, get to a safe house... And let me do my job."

Brittany tensed up, "John-"

"I need to do this Brittany... Please don't stop me." John whispered.

"Why you though?" Brittany was visibly shaking now.

John reached out, taking her hand, he gently pulled her onto his lap. "Jonah is looking for us... If we keep moving daily, we won't be likely to be found. But with me on the streets, he's more likely to come find me himself... "

"What if we just wait for backup?" John's heart was breaking as tears rolled down her cheeks, "please John, I don't want you getting hurt."

John squeezed her tightly, "my love... I'm the only one in four-hundred years to face Jonah and live... If I'm this capable now... Imaging what I would be like as a monster like him..."

Bursting into loud sobs, she collapsed against John's shoulder. His heart broke for her all over again, he knew better than most that going out on the streets was most likely a death sentence. But Brunhilde's dragoons may as well be a week away. At the very least, if Jonah wouldn't meet him in person, John would start to cull the numbers of clanless. Eventually he may find someone who could point him in the right direction.

The five of them finished their tea, before Brittany dressed in the cloak. John insisted on taking two vehicles. This time he would indeed be taking his Queen, it killed him to part with her the first time. They separated in the elevator, Grace getting out with her parents on the ground floor. After a quick word to wait, John and Brittany made their way down to the underground car park. Trying to play the gentleman, John opened the rear door for his Queen, only to chuckle as she walked past him and climbed into the front passenger seat.

A lap around the building and they had met with Gregory's vehicle, and they were off. It was an odd sensation for John as they drove down familiar roads. It surprised him greatly that there was a safe house within easy walking distance of his apartment. Following Gregory down an alleyway, a section of wall opened in front of a derelict building. Driving in behind Gregory, John was pleasantly surprised at the modern facility they were parking inside.

Pulling into a parking space, John was beaten to Brittany's door, buy her climbing out on her own. Her amused smile shook him a little, and he had to reflect on his behaviour... Since when have I been so accommodating? Is this yet another change?... Ignoring it for the moment, he took Brittany's hand, and followed Janet and the others towards an elevator, while Gregory secured the entrance.

A quick tour of the facility showed a small meeting room, several bedrooms with en suites and kitchen. As John lead Brittany into one of the bedrooms, a door opened behind him.

"Maree, you're looking better," called Janet.

Brittany quickly pulled away from John. Turning, she ran to Maree, crushing the woman in a firm hug. "Thank you!" She cried.

Maree had a look of shock on her face. Clearly the access to blood had healed her considerably, but she wasn't expecting to be hugged by the new Queen. "I'm not quite sure how to respond to this your majesty," Maree said with an odd smile.

"Enough with the 'your majesties'. That goes for everyone!" Brittany growled, "Unless we're doing something important, please just call me Brittany. Everyone, and I mean everyone, in this building has had a direct hand in saving my life. We're all family, so please... Treat me like family..."

The room fell silent for a few moments. Nobody quite knew what to say, until Maree broke the ice. Wrapping her arms around Brittany, she nuzzled her head into her shoulder. "Thank you Brittany, I'd be dead without you and John. I'm honoured to call you family."

Without releasing their hug, Janet quickly joined them, followed quickly by George. What followed was an impromptu group hug. Grace, Lucas and even Gregory all joined in, expressing gratitude and thanks for one another and their efforts to keep everyone safe. The only person missing was John, who stood frozen in the doorway. It was a strange feeling for him, just days ago, he was hunting their kind. Now he was watching a group of them in a group hug... His sworn enemies, showing love and compassion, to the woman he loved... And he had sworn to Gaia to destroy them...

Brittany was the first to realise John was gone. When the others finally let her free, she had a few tears to wipe away, but when she looked for her love... It was obvious he was no longer here...

"Be safe..." She whispered.

CHAPTER THREE

It was a few hours until dawn, the streets were empty of life, save a few cats. John stalked the streets, not caring to hide his movements. If he was given any trouble, he was more than capable of leaving quickly. So it was an odd sensation when the small tickle in the back of his mind stopped. John kept walking, appearing not to notice his power had been invalidated. Straining his hearing and watching his peripherals, he couldn't detect anyone around him. Glimpsing towards car mirrors and shop windows, even the reflections didn't show anything. But he was definitely being hunted.

Turning down an alleyway, that familiar tickle reappeared. Surging into the plane of time, John turned on the spot, and ran back across the road, hiding on the opposite side. Slipping back into the normal flow, John stood silently and waited. It wasn't long before he spotted them. It was so obvious, as they leapt across the rooftops. There was three of them, probably a fourth holding back somewhere. They were clumped together... Rookies... John watched as the three climbed down to the street, before lining up at the end of the alleyway. If they had been trained fighters, one of them would have turned around and spotted him. It was almost as if these were new recruits... Sent to die... Jonah knows they're no match for me... And that's when John realised... This was a trap, whomever it was leading them, is probably at the other end of that alleyway. The three youngsters would be the distraction, while a more experienced member would sneak in behind... Bastard doesn't care about his own people...

Crouching down, John leaned against the wall, obscuring his position in shadows. It was time to start sending messages. He watched as the three pulled knives and darted into the alleyway, it gave him a grim sense of satisfaction as they came to a stop, obviously confused. They spread out, and slowly stalked down the alleyway, looking for hidden entrances and open doors. A small spec of movement caught John's eye however, someone just leaned into the alleyway... There you are...

Fading again into the plane of time, John rushed back across the street. Falling on the first young vampire, John pulled the knife from their hand, walking around, he could see under the hood, it was a young red haired woman... Bastard is turning teenagers...

"He's not who you think he is," John said in her ear.

He disarmed and spoke to the others, another young brunette woman, and an even younger looking man. It disgusted him that Jonah would sacrifice the young and helpless, in a poor attempt to surprise him. Running to the end of the alleyway, he found the superior. A middle aged man with a shaved head, holding a hunting rifle. It was obvious now... Wait for the youngsters to corner me, and shoot me in the back before I got away... Grabbing the man, John ripped the gun free from his hands. Pulling the man into the alleyway, John forced him to his knees before fading back into the normal flow of time.

Several things happened, the man on his knees cried out in pain, the speed he was thrown into the ground would have been extremely painful. The youngsters however cried out and cowered as if John was cut them.

"I AM NOT YOUR ENEMY!" John roared, grabbing their attention, "This man was using you as bait. You would have easily died tonight, but the Queen has asked I show mercy. Go home, all of you, when the fighting stops, join a clan. If not, I'll be coming back."

John watched for a moment as the youngsters slowly calmed down. They still watched him with a mix of fear and awe... That was until John plunged his sword through the older vampires chest. Now they just looked terrified.

"Go home," he growled.

He was expecting panic and fleeing... But what happened was unexpected... All three just dropped to their knees. One woman was crying, the other refused to look up. The young man was trying to hold a brave face, but even he was barely holding himself together.

"What did I say? LEAVE!" John yelled.

"We can't..." Said the young man, "He'll kill us... We don't have homes any more."

"Who will kill you?"

The young man shook his head, but the woman staring at the ground, said "Jonah... Please mister... We're runaways, we don't have family... He took us in, made us strong... But failure means death... If you won't kill us, and we escape the sun... He will kill us anyway..."

John sighed, "and I suppose you're hoping death by my hand will at least be quick and painless?"

The crying woman collapsed on the ground, curling into a ball. The young man dropped his eyes to the ground, and the woman just started nodding.

"Do you really want to die?" asked John.

"No," they all said in unison.

John just sighed... Brittany had asked him to show mercy when he could. These kids had death sentences. There was only one thing for it...

"We don't have long until sunrise, come with me." John said quietly, before heading back to the safe house.

As they walked, he tried to ply them for information. They were kept in multiple locations. Jonah moved between groups, giving orders, sorting disputes and carrying out torture and executions to keep people in line. None of them knew how large the forces were, they just knew they were from a group of a dozen strong. They were all homeless youth, banding together when Jonah found them. When he did, he offered them work, and turned them... By force if necessary... And some of them didn't survive. Lori, one of the women had lost her cousin. James, the man, had lost his best friend. The crying woman had refused to speak as they walked.

It was to John's great relief as they walked down the alleyway that contained the entrance to the safe house. The sun was yet to rise, but he could see the discomfort in the youngsters. As expected, the door opened as he approached, behind was Gregory and Lucas, both armed and pointing handguns.

"I don't think that's necessary," John called.

"Who are they?" Gregory called back.

"Youngsters, I evaded an ambush, they were supposed to distract me long enough for their senior to kill me." John grumbled, "I doubt they were expected to live this long."

Gregory nodded. "You three, hands on your heads, no sudden moves, a single shot probably won't kill you, but it will hurt until I put a second in you." Motioning for Lucas to move aside, he walked around the group, watching their faces contort with fear. "Alright, head inside, then put your hands on the wall."

It took barely a minute for all three of them to line up on the wall. Lucas quickly moved to each of them, zip tying their hands behind their backs. The three of them moved into the meeting room, where John spotted Janet and Brittany.

"Ah, John, I see you have brought guests," Janet called. "Would you care to explain to me why you have compromised the safety of the Queen by bringing enemy soldiers into this facility?"

John hid a smirk, Janet wouldn't dare to speak to him like that. It was all a show for the three youngsters. He could see them shaking with anxiety, all were crying silently while staring at the floor.

The young woman spoke, "we didn't know who you were, we didn't know you were the royals." She took a shaking breath in, "please... Just kill us quickly, if Jonah catches us, he'll probably torture us first... Before he kills us... He makes the others watch... I'm sorry... "

John watched as she dropped to her knees and placed her head on the floor. The other two got down beside her and copied her. It didn't take a genius to figure out what they expected to happen. Jonah was a true monster... Using fear tactics like this to keep his thrall in line. John made eye contact with Janet... Even he could see her heart break... These youngsters weren't a threat...

Brittany walked towards John, taking him in her arms. She leaned into his shoulder and whispered, "thank you for sparing the innocent." Turning back to the youngsters, "do you know who I am?"

The three crouching figures shook their heads slightly.

"I am Queen Hay, you have already met my Vassal, John." She said firmly. The effect was almost immediate, all three shuddered, only now realising the depth of their situation. "You were sent to kill my beloved, in defiance of the council and aiding in a coup to denounce my throne."