Finding Home Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ellen reached inside the neckline of her dress and drew out a thin, gold chain. On the chain was a lovely diamond engagement ring. Not thinking of the clandestine nature of the engagement, Drew let out a long whistle. Christopher had put a damn big chunk of ice on his sister's finger.

"Droobie!" Ellen whispered, and smacked him on the arm.

"Andrew David and Ellen Jane -- is everything alright, or is there a good reason for a lovely young woman to be punching her brother in a public venue?" asked Helen Carlson saucily.

Andy had positioned himself between Ellen and where his sister and grandmother were sitting. As he turned to respond to her, he caught Sara's eye. She did not like the expression on his face, nor the look in his eyes. She had seen it before -- but only briefly -- in the short time she had known him before his 'episode.' This was Andrew DeGroat, Marine Corps Sniper -- not Andy, the man she had come to love so fiercely.

"We're fine grandma. They have graciously provided some food for us in the other room. I'd be glad to fix you a plate, and bring it to you." Turning to Sara he said, "Since it's not a Lobster Shack or breakfast, I really have no idea what you'd like," he smiled. "But if you'll come with me, we can grab you some lunch."

Sara looked at Ellen, who hesitantly shook her head yes. She offered Andy her arm, and they walked out of the private fitting area.

"Andy, stop!" She said, once they had taken several steps away from the door, and were out of earshot of his family. "I don't like the look in your eyes, and if you ever come and grab me like you grabbed Ellen, I will knee you in the nuts. I will not have that kind of bullshit. Do you hear me?"

He wheeled to face her. "Sara, he fucking lied to me! I kicked people's ass for that kid, and he fucking lies to me and then goes off and gets engaged to my sister. Not on my fucking watch!" he hissed angrily.

"Andrew David DeGroat," she fired back at him. "I need you to slow down, take a deep breath, and tell me what you're talking about. I'm in the dark here, baby."

Andy paused, and did as she told him.

"Christopher. There were some asshats at Groton who wanted to punk the 'pretty fag boy', and I stepped in. He's a great kid, and it's not anyone's fault who you love. Not everybody is a knuckle-dragging neanderthal, and he was just a talented guy in a tough spot. It didn't help that he was there on a scholarship. I took a beating for him. I was a sophomore, and one of the seniors was a real ass towards Christopher. It took him and two of his clown friends, but he got it done. And now, Sara, now he goes and does this? Nope. He's about to get one of the beatings I protected him from in high school, and with interest."

"Andy. Stop." Sara spoke calmly, and yet forcibly. "This is not you. This might be the riled-up Marine, but it's not you. Your sister has found a great guy -- a guy you even like -- a guy who makes her light up like I do around you. You don't want to do this, baby."

"Why are you taking his side?" he hissed angrily.

"I'm not on his side. I'm on your side, you dumbass! If you go in there and dismantle Christopher, then Alex has to get involved. He'll defend you, and then he looks like an ass, too. You'll embarrass your grandmother -- and you will risk losing Ellen. Don't make her choose, Andy. She loves you, but don't make her choose between her big brother and her man. Baby, I'm trying to protect you."

"Maybe I don't need protecting," snarled Andy.

Sara reached up and lovingly put her hands on his face.

"Baby, if you don't need protecting, then you don't need me. Remember? This is what we do. We protect each other. I love you, and I'm just trying to do us," she said softly.

"Andrew, your lovely girlfriend is amazingly wise. You would do well to listen to her."

Andy spun around to see his grandmother standing behind them with tears in her eyes.

"Grandma, he lied to me. I defended his scrawny ass, and he goes and pulls this shi -- I mean stuff?"

"Andrew, your sister and her fiancé love you more than you know. They both despaired of hurting you -- which is why your grandfather wanted you kept in the dark. They are aware of how you have protected them both. That's why they didn't want to tell the crazed animal that was occupying your body and mind when they got engaged. They were protecting you, or so they thought. You have to believe that, my boy."

Andy looked at the floor. He was quiet for some time, but was mindful of Sara taking his hand.

"OK," he said quietly. "What you say makes sense, I guess. Please understand, all of this is just -- it's just a lot to take in. When Jessica got engaged, I was deployed. Now Jessica is pregnant, and Ellen is engaged. I feel like I should have seen some of this coming, but I was off . . ."

"You were off on your own private crusade," said Helen Carlson tersely. "But we all knew that -- everybody but you. And now you know it, as well. I cannot imagine how hard that is, Andrew. You will notice, however, that when your sisters heard of your breakdown, they dropped everything and came to be near you. Drew, they love you. They understood why you wanted to join the Marines. They didn't like it, but they understood it. Now, you must accept the fact that they were trying to protect you, and as Sara has so lovingly said, you do need protecting from time to time. I, for one, am glad you have such an amazing young woman to fill that role in your life. I'm an old woman, and I can't do it forever. If I could choose my replacement, I would definitely choose Sara. Now, I'm hungry. I'll walk back with you once you apologize to Sara for being an ass. You can apologize to Ellen when you're done eating. You gave her quite a fright, Andrew. You should be ashamed of yourself. I'm thankful that you are."

Andy turned to Sara and hugged her. He kissed her, and said, "I am sorry. Thanks for protecting me when I'm too stupid to know I need it."

"I love you," she said. Then, whispering into his ear, "You will be making this up to me, Droobie. Preferably by eating my pussy until I scream, but you will make it up to me."

He looked at her, smiled, and said quietly, "I will hold you to that, my love. Just remember what you asked for."

Turning to his grandmother, he said, "Let's go get some food."

"Yes, and Andrew -- please note what Sara likes so that you can serve her the next time you come here. I've already set up an account in her name, and she's too busy when she's here to stop for lunch when you can handle that for her. Am I understood?"

________________________________________________________

Four hours later, with purchases in tow, two cars came to retrieve the tired shoppers. Andy had chosen a deep purple paisley tie to go with his light gray suit and white shirt, with matching purple socks for his oxblood split-toe oxfords. He had no idea what color Sara's dress for the evening would be, Rachel had simply brought him 4 ties to choose from, and socks that would work for each tie. Christopher informed him that the band had agreed to let them sit in when they covered, Isn't She Lovely? and Andy wondered if his chops were up to Stevie Wonder. He knew Christopher would do well -- he always did - but he started to feel nervous. He listened to the original version on his phone as they were waiting in the store. He had the lyrics down cold, so it was just a matter of getting a chance to run through it with the band. It was not just about the singing, but he appreciated the double entendre of the song. It was great for Baby Fedorov, and as an homage to Ellen and Sara. Sara was indeed the loveliest woman he'd ever seen.

"Baby, are you OK?"

Sara was sitting next to him, with his grandmother on the other side. He was holding both their hands, and marveled at just how natural it all felt. His 1000-yard stare had given him away.

"Yeah, I'm just a bit nervous about tonight, I guess," he admitted.

"You will sound wonderful," said his grandmother. "You and Christopher always do. I always loved hearing the two of you sing together -- maybe even more than he and Ellen."

"Why is that, Mrs. Carlson?" asked Sara.

"Sweetie, please call me Helen or grandma. I appreciate your manners, but you're family now," she gave Andy's hand a pat as she said this. "Everyone expects a man and a woman to be able to blend their voices well. But when two young men do it, it catches your attention. Young men are giving to blustering at one another -- not listening to one another. Singing together well means one, or both of them, have learned to listen. Andrew does that well. I've always appreciated that about him."

"So, what are you singing, Droobie?" asked Sara teasingly.

"What color is your dress, Sara?" he shot back at her.

"I can't tell you that. It's a surprise for you," she said; and then stuck her tongue out at him.

"Andrew, if your tongue stays in your head when you see her in it, I'll be stunned," said his grandmother. "She looks absolutely beautiful in it. It's tasteful, and yet quite alluring. You will be quite pleased. But then again, a woman in love can wear just about anything when her man is around and look quite fetching."

"Well, our song is a surprise as well. And I do hope you like it. It's a very appropriate song for the evening, that's the only hint I'll give."

"OK, well what kind of music does this band cover? I'd guess the Crooners, since it's an Italian place."

"Classic R&B and some soul. They'll do an occasional Motown number as well."

"Really? You and Christopher can pull that off -- two prep school white boys from Boston?"

"Lady, Christopher can sing the damn phone book," said Andrew.

"That's true. That boy really can sing. Those children will be freakishly talented musically," said Helen matter-of-factly. "I only wish I could see my great-grandchildren skate, and sing, and in your case -- do whatever they want. You've all chosen such marvelously talented spouses. It makes my old heart glad."

"Grandma, we're not engaged yet. I haven't even met Sara's mom, and she doesn't even know that Sara has a boyfriend. I'm not saying we won't, but it is still kind of early yet. And besides," he said looking at her and smiling, "you're a tough old bird who has another 25 years in her, at least."

"Well, that's as may be, and please don't be impertinent. But, when Sara's mother is around the two of you together for five minutes, she'll know. Trust me. Mothers know this kind of thing. I can only hope she's as pleased with Sara's choice of you, as we are of your choice of Sara."

"Thank you, Helen," said Sara. "That's very sweet of you to say."

"Sweet or not, it's the truth. Sara, the way you lovingly took Andrew in hand at the store made me want to cry. You're an absolute dream, and an answer to this grandmother's prayers. I give you until December."

"I'm sorry?" asked Andy.

"A December wedding, Andrew. You can do Brooklyn, or the chapel at Colton. It would be easier to control the numbers if you got married at Colton, but I'm sure your mother -- and I'm sorry, what is your mother's name dear?" she asked Sara.

"Her name is Gina. She's Italian -- an Italian hottie from Brooklyn," Sara giggled.

"Yes, I'm sure she is. I'm sure Gina will have ideas for her daughter's wedding," said Helen.

"Well, I'd marry Andy in a subway station tomorrow," said Sara. "But, now that I think of it, December would work well," mused Sara.

"We're home," said Andy, the words sounding more abrupt than he wanted to. He thought he would be much more uncomfortable when others talked about his own wedding. Heather used to dream, as high school girls do, of "their day." She made plans that seemingly had nothing to do with Andy, and he got the feeling he was just an accessory to her fairy tale day. This felt very different -- and again -- very right.

As soon as the car came to a stop, Christopher opened the door, and stuck his head in. "Drew, we need to get our stuff and head to the restaurant. We've got a rehearsal in 30 minutes with the band. We can change in the Green Room, and be there to greet the family when they arrive."

"Oh -- OK, let me get Sara settled and show her to our room, and I need to grab a few things. Wheels up in 5 minutes?"

"If that means we'll leave in 5 minutes, that should be fine," replied Christopher with a grin.

As they walked to the door, Jessica grabbed him and took his arm.

"You've hit a home run with this one, Droobie," she said. "Sara is amazing. I could not have picked a better girl for you, and believe me, Ellen and I have mulled that one over a time or a hundred."

"Thanks Jess. She really is amazing."

"Take her upstairs, and then I'll show her around the house. I know you need to go. Christopher is as giddy as a school girl."

Andy smiled at his sister.

"Oh, 'Sica -- you have no idea," he said coyly. His sister raised an eyebrow at him, and he made a zipping motion across his mouth.

"Damn you, Droobie," she said laughing. "You're going to give Alex a complex. All he can do is skate," she joked.

"He's welcome to come along, if he wants," said Andy.

"No way! Alex has taken to rubbing my feet a couple of times a day. I'm going to get my feet rubbed, and he may get lucky before dinner," she said. "Pregnancy seems to have that effect on me," she laughed as she said this.

"TMI, big sister. TMI," Andy protested.

The drivers had taken all the bags and purchases inside. With Sara's guidance, Andy grabbed what was theirs, and pointed her up the steps. He got her to his room, kissed her deeply, and got the things he needed to leave for the restaurant. He pulled her into his arms before he left.

"Thank you again for today, Sara. Please remember that you love me when you hear Christopher and I sing. Love means you can't be embarrassed of me."

"Never, baby. You'll do great. You're my man -- and my man kicks ass. And Andy, I love you. I had such a great time today -- but before you go -- what do you think about December?"

"To tell you the truth, I like the idea of tomorrow in the subway station better," he said kissing her. "Sara, I'll marry you ASAP. If we decide that's December, I'm totally down with that."

"Baby, just to warn you: I look hot as hell in my dress. I mean like, 'Damn that girl is fine' hot," she said. "You spoil me. I've never had that, and I think I like it."

She kissed him again, and swatted him on the ass.

"Now, go. Don't leave your boyfriend waiting," she winked at him.

Christopher was waiting with the Uber in the driveway. The trunk was open, so Andy carefully put his garment bag and dopp kit in the trunk. Getting into the car, he looked at Christopher, "Are you sure we're up for this?"

"Yeah, well, Drew -- listen, it's just that . . ."

Andy cut him off, "Christopher, I'm sorry. I was an ass today to Ellen. Please know that I'm really happy for the two of you. She's amazing, and you're a very fortunate guy. We'll be proud to have you in the family."

Christopher began to tear up, "Drew, you have no idea how badly Ellen and I wanted to tell you. We wanted to tell you when we started dating, but old stereotypes die hard. We both -- we both love you Drew. You weren't just my protector in high school, you were my friend. I didn't have many of those -- really just you and Ellen. I know it's quite a bit to digest. Drew, her family means the world to Ellen, you really do. If this would have caused a rift in the family, I don't think I could forgive myself."

"Brother," said Andy, looking at his friend. "Alex calls me brother, and we both really like it. I know you have a brother, but neither of us did, until he came into the family. A guy can't have too many brothers. I'm glad you're going to be one of mine."

"Thank you, Drew -- or is it Andy? I can't quite keep it straight."

"Well, Drew DeGroat sounds like a prep school asshole from Beacon Hill. In the Marine Corps I was Andrew -- or just DeGroat. Grandpa and Grandma still call me that, but that guy killed people for 5 years. Andy just seemed like a fresh start, so when I met Sara and Eden, I asked them to call me Andy."

"She's amazing, by the way. And, Cooper knows Sara and her roommate. He's playing hockey at Colton. He found them a bit frigid, if I'm honest. I'm sure he was a prep school asshole of some kind, so that probably has something to do with it. But seeing Sara around you, I can't imagine it."

"Will he be here tonight?"

"He will. And, I think Ellen arranged from him to fly back with you and Sara tomorrow. He said you're taking the same class this summer. Calculus, or something equally dreary, I think."

Andy smiled, "No, it is calculus. I'm glad to know he's in the class."

"Listen Drew, he may be a bit star-struck when he meets you. Coach Moses talks about the Greats all the time. Said he'd never had a team with that much talent that worked that hard. You were the backbone of that team, according to him. Then, there's all the talk he's had to endure from Ellen and I. I hope it won't be too annoying."

"It'll be fine. Family puts up with stuff like that anyway. You're going to be family soon, Christopher. That reminds me, when is the wedding anyway?"

"End of the summer. It's the weekend after your grandfather's award ceremony. Congratulations are in order, I understand. That's quite an award you're going to receive," he said.

"OK, so I guess you know about Uncle Hank and Aunt Jane, then?"

"I do. When we first started dating, it really bothered me that Ellen had this secret about me -- you know, that I wasn't really gay? So, she told me about your Uncle Hank. This family is equal parts awesome and intense. Here I am a lowly architect trying to compete with Navy Cross and Stanley Cup winning brothers-in-law? It can give a guy a complex."

"Listen, brother. You're going to be fine. Take care of Ellen. That's all either Alex or I want. And, if you don't -- I can make your head explode from a mile away. I'd say it's not personal, but if you hurt Ellen, I'll make it so."

Christopher laughed, and then saw Andy's face.

"Oh -- you're serious, aren't you?"

"Damn skippy. But, Christopher, I know that will never be an issue. She did, after all, turn you straight," he joked.

"I'd love to talk about that some time," said Christopher. "I was really young then, Drew. It was a new school, and I was a scholarship kid. It was just easier to go along, I guess."

"I'd love to talk, too," Andy looked up and saw they had arrived. "Shit. We're here. You'll do great -- greatness is kind of a family thing," Andy joked.

"OK, I know you're joking, but it's also scarily true," lamented Christopher.

They ran through the song several times, and decided that the usual lead singer would take the first verse, Christopher the second, and Andy the third. That suited Andy just fine. Christopher would have the place enthralled -- so much so that everyone else would forget his performance. Except Sara. Sara would know, and as she said, she expected that her man would kick ass.

____________________________________________________

At 7:45 PM, Andy got a text to come to the parking lot. It was a warmer night, and he had taken his suit coat off during rehearsal. He put his jacket back on and went to the front door. The rest of his family was already inside. He looked at Jessica and Alex, who waved him over.

"Brother, she's outside waiting for you. She wanted the two of you to be alone when you saw her."

"Thanks Alex," said Andy.

"Droobie," said Jessica. "She looks amazing. You just had to do it, didn't you? Go and find a drop-dead gorgeous woman when I'm three months pregnant? I may have Alex punch you, just for spite."

Andy kissed his sister, "You look amazing, big sister." He whispered to her, "Is that the pregnancy, or a post-orgasmic glow?" he teased.