Fire in the Embers Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The scene was repeated in Lt. Tanya Perlman's office, except that when Cindy suggested that Cummings and Parker monitor the radios, Tanya had to tell her that Cummings had been excused for a church appointment.

Upon hearing that, Cindy went to update her boss. She wondered why the Iron Crowbar's eyes gleamed a bit upon hearing the news that Joanne and Seth would have their times occupied in Pastor Westboro's class...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Judge Patrick R. Folsom received A.D.A. Jenna Stiles in his chambers. He was surprised to see who was with her: the Commander of the Town & County Police Force. He was even more surprised as I began walking around his chambers with a small metallic device in my hand.

"My apologies, Your Honor." I said. "I'm just making sure your chambers are not bugged. As ADA Stiles will explain, this is highly sensitive information."

"Did you find anything?" asked the judge as he watched me work.

"No sir." I said after completing my sweep. I'd used my personal device, but it had found nothing. That did not preclude certain 'passive' bugs from being there, but I had to go with it as best I could.

Jenna Stiles said "Your Honor, we've gotten information from a confidential informant that drugs are in the apartment listed in this warrant application. We have reason to believe that these drugs could be moved very soon, and we are also worried about leaks. Therefore, I'm asking for this warrant to be kept under secret seal until it's executed."

After some back and forth with the judge, he stated that the warrant should be issued, and that his own assistant would type it up and issue it, therefore it wouldn't go through the normal Courthouse bureaucracy...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 5:30pm four TCPD Police cars pulled into the apartment complex where Jack Burke had once lived. It was south of Courthouse Square, and if it had been run down when the Burke apartment was searched years before, it was even more run down now.

One of those TCPD cars was my SUV, with me and Cindy inside it. The first of two Police cruisers held Sergeant Rudistan, Sr. Patrolman Morton, Sergeant Hugh Hewitt of SWAT, and young Patrolman Johnson. The second cruiser contained J.R. Barnes, Christina Cho, the TCPD Photographer with a video recorder, and an Officer that would assist in evidence collection and two-man control.

Last was the the K-9 vehicle, a covered truck converted to safely transport Sergeant Stonewall, our best drug dog, as well as his armor and handling equipment, and also some stuff for the SWAT teams... yes, that's how we sneak some stuff in without the Press realizing what they are seeing.

When we stopped, we ran full speed to the stairs and up them to the proper address. Gathering by the sides of the door, Sergeant Rudistan knocked and announced the Police presence. No one answered the door, but Rudistan whispered that he could hear movement inside. I gave the signal to force the door.

The well-armored SWAT and Uniformed officers used (of all things) a crowbar to jimmy open the door, then rushed inside yelling "POLICE! FREEZE!" I heard a woman screech, then a man start cursing as they were subdued and forced to lie prone on the floor. The apartment was cleared and the rest of us went in.

"We're executing a warrant to search this apartment for controlled substances." Cpt. Ross said to the young couple lying on the floor. "Stay where you are, cooperate, and nobody gets hurt. Okay, bring in the dog."

I'd 'wandered' into the bedroom, and spotted the object of my interest, the A.C. vent, in the side wall. Cindy directed that the bedroom be searched first. Sergeant Stonewall sniffed around, including at the vent where I pointed, but found nothing to interest him. Then he was taken into the main room and the kitchen.

"He's alerting!" yelled his handler as Stonewall got excited in the kitchen. He was sniffing around the refrigerator. He was helped onto the counter, where he again got excited sniffing at one of the cabinets. The videographer was recording as the door was opened and Stonewall stuck his snout into the cabinet. He then barked and tried sit down, showing that he'd found something His handler got him off the counter and the area was searched. A couple of bags of marijuana were found, and then some pills were found that Stonewall took interest in when they were presented to his 'sniff test'.

While all that was going on, I was alone in the bedroom, and Cindy was guarding the door. I sprang to the vent, practically ripped it out of the wall, and looked inside with my penlight. Seeing something, I reached my hand in almost as far as it could reach and grabbed the plastic-sealed package. Pulling it out, I immediately secreted it in the large inside pocket of my trenchcoat, which I had worn for this purpose. I replaced the vent cover hastily, not really worrying about a tight fit.

Sergeant Stonewall also found small quantities of drugs in the sofa of the main room, and hiding in a potted plant's container. "This could be crystal meth." said one of the Crime Lab people, examining it. The crystalline structure was a translucent white in color.

"All right, Sergeant," said Cindy, "put these guys under arrest and take them to Precinct 1 Headquarters for booking." We were inside Precinct 1's jurisdiction, and I did not want these perps to be taken to Police Headquarters, even though it was physically closer than Precinct 1's Headquarters.

"I'll leave you guys to process this scene." I said. "Good work, Captain. Good work, everyone."

"Just put a few extra bucks in our next paychecks, Commander!" Sergeant Rudistan said jovially. I laughed and said I wished I could do that, then Cindy and I left together.

"Find what you were looking for?" Cindy asked.

"Sure did." I said. "I'm glad we found some secreted drugs, though. That legitimized this mission, even if it's only 'possession' amounts."

"Yeah, but if that stuff Stonewall found in the potted plant is what we think it is," Cindy said, "then we might've gotten a bonus in this bust. These guys will be worth talking to, for sure." I could tell that my partner was not only happy but relieved that this operation had actually borne legitimate fruit. With the Dark Side, Cindy Ross was still not comfortable. And for that, happy I was.

Part 6 - The Intendent

I dropped Cindy off at Police Headquarters and drove to The Cabin. Cpt. Moynahan was there, as he was staying in my guest bedroom. The place was spotless, I noted.

"Wow, you really cleaned this place up." I said. "I appreciate it."

"Welll," said Moynahan in his gravelly voice, getting up off the sofa upon which he had been perched, "you've been very generous to allow me to stay here, and it's the least I could do. Besiiiidesss... this Town would be a great place to live and work, but it's not exactly... the most exciting tourist attraction, if you know what I mean."

I just laughed. "Okay then. I'm going to do some work in my office and then get ready for the Council meeting, if you want to get ready now."

"I'll do just that." said Moynahan. As he went upstairs, I unlocked my office, went inside, locked the door again, then opened up the trap door to the wine cellar dug into the mountain. Descending, I went past the wine cellar room into the little cubbyhole behind it, which contained my electronic gear, servers, and stuff that I needed to remain secret. I quickly unwrapped and examined the package I'd taken from Jack Burke's apartment.

I could tell that it was some really good stuff. Mostly DVDs and CD data discs, but also some papers, some handwritten notes... and two keys to two safe-deposit boxes at two of the Town's banks, along with information on which boxes and which banks I should go to.

I didn't have time to look at the information, so I pulled what looked like a rock in the far wall out, secreted this package in the space behind, replaced the rock, re-secured the server room, then got out of the 'dungeon' and re-secured the trap door.

It was time to get ready and go to the Council meeting. I went upstairs to the Master Bedroom with my Duty Dress uniform in tow. Once finished and dressed, I went back downstairs, where Cpt. Moynahan awaited me.

"Ready to go, sir?" I asked.

"Don't call me 'sir', Commander." Moynahan growled, but in a friendly way "At least not yet." I grinned and we left, riding together in my Police SUV.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 7:30pm, Tuesday November 10th, the Town & County Council convened in the Council Chamber, as the auditorium was called, and proceeded to go through the County's business. Citizens came forward with various requests, there were some notices of intent to file lawsuits against the County, and some public discussion and Council repartée over zoning issues and a 'public housing' project near Ronald Reagan Park, which was being vehemently opposed by residents of the area.

As I watched the proceedings, I noticed several Sheriff Deputies in the room, as they always were. Their uniforms were pressed and they made sure to look their best, as their boss the Sheriff himself was there. With me was Cindy Ross in her Duty Dress uniform, Captain Moynahan in his Midtown Police attire, and, to my utter surprise, Lt. Molly Evans, totally pregnant and looking like she was about to burst. And to my even greater surprise, Lieutenant Teresa Croyle was there in her duty dress uniform, wearing a skirt and heels that showed off her magnificent legs.

The Mayor called for the executive session over personnel issues, and asked that those of us invited to attend come back also. Once inside the smaller room, where the Council actually did most of its work, we sat down in chairs along the walls, while the Council members sat at the table.

"Okay," said the Mayor, "let's discuss the lead candidate for Police Chief, who is waiting outside. These other officers are here to answer our questions about this candidate. His name is Captain Sean Moynahan, currently of the Midtown Police Force. We interviewed him, though mostly as a courtesy on both sides, when we were last considering a Police Chief. He was an Army officer, in the 1st Cavalry Division, before joining a Police Department in New York State, then moving to Midtown."

"We have here," said the Mayor, "Lieutenant Molly Evans of the Nextdoor County Police, who worked for several years as part of Captain Moynahan's team in Homicide in Midtown, and Lt. Teresa Croyle of our own Police Force's Vice Squad, who was in Midtown P.D. Internal Affairs for some months. And of course you all know Commander Troy and Captain Ross."

Molly went first, describing that Cpt. Moynahan was one of the best officers she'd ever worked with and learned from, detailing his stellar record of successful arrests as well as his leadership qualities while leading their team. Although no one expected her to say anything negative, several Council members grilled her about his cases. Her 'testimony' was unimpeachable.

"So, Lieutenant Croyle," said Councilwoman Malinda Adams with near-maliciousness, "you were consigned to Internal Affairs in Midtown for some months. Did their Internal Affairs ever have any issues with Captain Moynahan."

"No ma'am." said Teresa.

"I must object to this." said Councilwoman Kelly Carnes. "If Lt. Croyle was a part of Midtown I.A., she would in all likelihood be restricted from discussing any issues their I.A. had with Moynahan. Is that not so, Ms. Croyle?"

"If there were issues," Teresa replied flatly, "I would not be able to publicly discuss them. But since there were no issues at all, I am able to tell you that... and I just did." I saw Carnes's eyes flare a bit. Teresa's voice was not one insinuating respect for the Councilwoman.

Dagmar Schoen, who was Kelly Carnes's nemesis on the Council, spoke up. "Lieutenant Croyle's input is very valuable, and her unique position of being part of Midtown Internal Affairs allows us to have a good extra perspective on Captain Moynahan. I believe Lt. Croyle's positive comments on this matter should weigh heavily in our decision."

"The word of a police officer who exercised police brutality against a State Senator's son?" thundered Thomas P. Cook. "If anything, her word is nothing here. Why she is even allowed to stain our Police Force's good name with her presence is beyond my comprehension."

"Say anything like that again, Mr. Cook," I replied, standing up, not letting the anger in my voice be subdued, "and I will not only give you something to 'comprehend', I will show you the true meaning of 'police brutality'." I might have been tapping my red crowbar in my other hand as I spoke. "Lieutenant Croyle is one of the best police officers I have the privilege of working with, and her integrity is of a level you have no right to even speak of, Mr. Cook."

"What are insinuating, Commander?" growled Cook, also standing up. "If you're going to accuse me of something, you better be able to back it up. I'll also remind you that you work for us, not the other way around, and that goes for your abusive Officer here, as well."

"Gentlemen, please sit down." said Pastor Raymond Westboro, taking charge of the meeting as he often did, as the Mayor was by no means the strongest personality in the room. "We are drifting far, far away from the point of this executive session."

"I wish to go on record," said Malinda Adams, "that Lieutenant Croyle has shown herself to be a good Peace Officer in these last few months. She has defeated the Viscotti Cabs drug operation, and while some here may correctly debate the wisdom of Commander Troy's decisions, his bringing Lt. Croyle back to our Police Force can be counted as one of his better ones."

"Thank you, Ms. Adams," said Mayor Vaughan, smiling in agreement with her, "but let's do get back to the matter at hand. Commander Troy, you have worked with Captain Moynahan several times in your capacity with the SBI Reserve?"

"Yes, Mr. Mayor." I said, still standing. I was still pissed at Cook's insinuations of Lt. Croyle, and I knew I had to get my head back in the game.

"And since we know you were behind Sheriff Allgood's nomination of Cpt. Moynahan to the Police Chief job, you must think highly of him." said the Mayor.

"Both personally and professionally." I said. "And let me just say this: if you want to see the measure of what type of Police Chief he will be, just look at the teams he trained and worked with in Midtown. Lt. Evans was offered the Nextdoor County Vice leadership job in no small part because of the excellent work she did in Midtown, under Cpt. Moynahan... but I'll let her make her own statements to that--"

"Then why didn't you hire her for your Vice Squad instead of this other officer with her record of abuse." snarled Thomas P. Cook.

"Don't fall for it, Commander." Cindy said, loud enough for everyone to hear.

"No worries, Captain." I said. I turned to Cook and said clearly "Solely because of the nepotism laws, Mr. Cook. Lt. Evans cannot work as her sister's subordinate."

"That doesn't stop your cousin Captain Ross from working for you, though, does it Commander?" Cook growled. "Selective application of the law, there?"

"Are we going to have to rehash all this again?" John Colby interjected, his baritone voice bursting through the room. "You know the law, Cook. Stop acting like the ass you are and quit the antics."

"Watch yourself, Colby." Cook said menacingly. "You're not exactly a saint in this Town--"

"If that ain't the pot calling the kettle black..." said Colby, ready and eager to get into it.

"That's enough!" interrupted Pastor Westboro. "Mr. Colby, Mr. Cook, the pots and the kettles can wait. You were saying, Commander Troy?"

"Thank you, Pastor." I said. "I was saying that in addition to Lt. Evans, Wes Masters, who is now my Lieutenant of all our Uniformed Officers, was part of Captain Moynahan's team, and the high level of professionalism our officers are showing can be partially attributed to the training Cpt. Moynahan gave Lt. Masters, which Lt. Masters is now imparting to my Officers."

"What about Detective Soltis, Commander?" asked Pastor Raymond Westboro. "He also was part of Cpt. Moynahan's unit, but was recently suspended after his police badge was found on the body of a dead woman?"

"He was cleared of any issues with that, Pastor." I said. I'd stepped in front of Molly, to keep her from saying anything, much less defending Soltis with more physical action.

"Yes, he was." said Westboro. "And was he not subsequently hired by the State Bureau of Investigation's Office of Ethics and Review?"

"Yes, Pastor, he was." I said, wondering where this line if inquiry was going.

"Upon your recommendation, Commander?" asked Westboro.

"No, Pastor." I said, a bit surprised. "Although I would've heartily recommended Detective Soltis, the SBI's Inspector General was way ahead of me on that one. But let that hire speak to Detective Soltis's integrity, and therefore the integrity of the man who trained him, Captain Moynahan."

"Captain Ross," said the Mayor as I sat down, "you worked with Captain Moynahan also?"

"Yes sir." said Cindy.

"Anything to add to what we've already heard?" asked the Mayor.

"Only that I agree with every good sentiment spoken of him." Cindy said. "And I most definitely agree with Commander Troy and Councilwoman Adams's opinions of Lieutenant Teresa Croyle. I will fight like hell to keep her working with me." Her eyes bored into Thomas P. Cook's as she said that.

"Thank you, everyone, for your input." said the Mayor, interjecting himself before the red-faced Thomas P. Cook could say anything. "Now if you'll excuse us, we'll bring in Cpt. Moynahan now." We all got up to go. As we left, an older woman escorted Captain Moynahan into the room. I took notice of her as she passed out papers to all the Council members.

She looked like she was in her forties, but I could tell she was actually older, maybe in her fifties already. She was wearing a silvery blouse and a black skirt, sheer black stockings and high heel black pumps. Her legs and feet were absolutely gorgeous, shapely and elegant. Truly as fine as my wife's legs, I thought to myself. Her breasts were large and her body tapered to a slim waist before flaring to wider hips, and a mouthwatering ass under that tight black skirt. Her hair was dyed frost-gray, and was likely brown or black (or turning naturally gray) if allowed to be seen in its original light.

As the door closed on my view of this MILF Goddess, I heard Teresa saying "Thank you guys for standing up for me like that." Cindy and Teresa hugged each other.

"You know we've got your back, sister." Cindy said. "Don, I've got crowbar dibs on that jerk Cook."

"I dunno, I feel like pulling rank on you for that one." I said. "We'll talk of that tomorrow. Why don't you ladies go home, and I'll see you in the morning." I escorted them to the door that led to the hallway to get out of City Hall. Just then I saw the lovely woman come out of the Council meeting room and go down the hall the other way. I decided to follow her.

I went around a couple of corners and down a couple of hallways before seeing her turn into a small office and closing the wood door behind her. There was no name on the door, just the room number and title of the office holder on a plastic plaque beside the door. I did not bother to knock, but just opened the door.

She was listening on an intercom to the Council as they interviewed Cpt. Moynahan. When I opened the door, her head flung upwards, and she showed shock that anyone dared intrude upon her private reserve.

"Yes? What do you want?" she said harshly. In spite of that, I could definitely feel that presence, that 'aura' around her, the energy coming from her. I tried to project my own energy as I willed myself forward.