Fire in The Hole Ch. 02

Story Info
The investigation continues as Lt. Gov. Collins takes power.
12.3k words
4.8
8.6k
8

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/10/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 10 - Disaster

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" shouted the redheaded reporterette. "We are breaking in to your local programming to bring you breaking news! The Wentworth Tool & Die building has exploded! A gas leak was reported just moments before. Governor Val Jared and Police Commander Donald Troy were inside the building when the explosion occurred..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hewitt!" yelled Rudistan. "Get everyone out of here! You too, Chief."

"What about Captain Croyle?" asked Chief Moynahan.

"Hicks and I will go get her." said Rudistan. "Take charge, Hewitt! Secure this crime scene! Protect the Chief! Come on, Hicks!" He and Hicks began running to the building, and disappeared inside it.

Police had everyone outside the parking lot as more units converged. The Media was filming, and trying to get their hookups to bring the catastrophe into as many homes as possible. The protestors were beginning to talk among themselves as news began coming over the radios.

*BEEEEEEEEEEEP!!*

It was the 'break' signal on all Police radios. Everyone listened, not breathing.

"Break break break!" said the voice. "This is Lieutenant Rudistan. We need two stretchers in here... and two body bags."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A pall of silence enveloped everyone at the scene. It was broken by the voice of the Media: "This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News! Police have entered the Wentworth Tool and Die facility that just exploded, and initial, unconfirmed reports are that Governor Val Jared and Commander Donald Troy did not survive the explosion!"

The protestors hearing the announcement broke into loud, wild cheering, followed by a chant of "Burn in Hell, Jared, burn in Hell!" The Police were infuriated, mistaking the cheering as being for the death of their Police Commander. Before their leadership could stop them, they attacked the protestors, firing tear gas and rubber bullets into them. The protestors ran in all directions, screaming. Those that ran the wrong way found themselves being knocked to the ground and pummeled by Police with billy sticks.

"Get back! Get back!" yelled Chief Moynahan, rushing up to stop the carnage. "Get back in formation!" Other Police leaders joined in the effort to pull back the attacking Officers, and a semblance of order was finally restored.

The Press had been gleefully recording the 'dispersal' of the protestors, then turned their cameras to the building again. Four Police Officers had gone inside with stretchers. Now they were coming out, and it was only confirmation of the worst: they were carrying two bodies, completely covered in sheets that were now death shrouds.

The bodies were followed by Rudistan and Hicks helping Teresa Croyle out of the building. She was sobbing, but it was what she was carrying that riveted everyone's attention: a red crowbar. The red crowbar.

The Media moved in, trying to get as close as possible to film Captain Croyle's pain. They were met and pushed back, very harshly, by Police. When the Media started bitching, they got pushed back even harder, and a couple of cameramen got punched in their faces. Chief Moynahan didn't say a word to stop his Officers; the Press was getting what they deserved.

When Teresa got to the line, where the cameras were allowed to be, she screamed at the Media as she waved the crowbar "I swear to God I will find out who did this, and I will wipe them out! And if you Media bastard were part of it, I'll wipe you out, too!" She was escorted to the Police Chief's SUV, and Chief Moynahan drove her (and Todd) out of there.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" said the reporterette nearly an hour later, from the road next to the Police Station that went to the Fairgrounds. "The bodies of Governor Val Jared and Commander Donald Troy have been brought to the TCPD Crime Lab, where the Morgue is. The Governor's body is going to be flown back to Midtown in just a few minutes, while Commander Troy's body will remain here."

"And here comes a Police car," said Bettina. "And getting out is Dr. Laura Fredricson, Commander Troy's wife, to identify his body." The cameras showed Patrolman Johnson escorting Laura into the Crime Lab building. Laura's face was one of pure shock and disbelief.

"Fox Two News can confirm that it was a gas explosion that destroyed the building." said Bettina. "The Fire Marshal suspects arson, and is investigating now, even though the building is still very unsafe to be in. The Fire Department and Gas Company both say the gas has been shut off to the area, and there are no more leaks, and--- hold on, something's happening..."

Exiting the Crime Lab building was Laura Fredricson. She was now sobbing, her hand over her face, and she was having to be helped to the Patrol cruiser. After getting her inside it, the Police vehicle left, its blue lightbar blazing. Cameras attempted to catch the grief of the crying widow inside.

Captain Damien Thompson came out of the Crime Lab and to the gaggle of Press cameras and reporters, who crowded around. Tears were openly running down his face as he announced "Dr. Fredricson has just identified the body of her husband. We can officially announce that Police Commander Donald Troy, twice-recipient of the Medal of Valor, died in the gas explosion at the Wentworth Tool & Die building earlier today."

"Where are they taking Dr. Fredricson?" yelled out a reporter.

"Probably to her home." said Captain Thompson. "She's going to have to tell her children that their father is dead." Those chilling words stopped any more idiotic Press questions.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After a period of inane discussion with 'talking heads', i.e. experts, the KXTC anchor desk threw the live feed back to Bettina, who said "The body of Governor Val Jared is being transported to County Airport, where it will be loaded onto a helicopter and flown to Midtown, and then taken to the Governor's Mansion." The cameras showed Police Officers formally carrying the American-Flag-draped coffin and putting it into the hearse.

"Fox Two News has also learned that Police Deputy Chief Cindy Ross has left Police Headquarters and will be assisting Commander Troy's widow with funeral preparations." said Bettina. "The Police Force is in total shock right now..."

Some moments later, Press cameras showed Governor Jared's body being put on the helicopter that was the University's backup life-flight chopper for the trip down to Midtown. The chopper took off, and KXTC switched its coverage to show protestors and University students cheering and celebrating the death of the Governor of the State.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Laura came into the Mountain Nest. Don's mother Phyllis was seated on the near side sofa, looking somber but composed for the moment. She got up and hugged Laura.

"I've kept the television off." said Phyllis. "I've made sure Carole didn't see or hear anything."

"Thank you." Laura whispered. Just then, Carole bounded into the room, followed by Bowser.

"Hi Mommy!" she said, then peered at her mother and said "Why are you home now? What's wrong, Mommy?"

"Come here and sit down." Laura said. "There's something I have to tell you..."

Part 11 - Glee and Sorrow

"Wonderful!" said Lt. Governor Graham Collins as he watched the news. "This is a wonderful day!" He sipped his bourbon.

"Not too much of that bourbon, Governor." said Wilson Hammonds. "You have to be sworn in. When does that happen?"

"They have to issue a death certificate." said Collins. "Then the paperwork gets filed and distributed, and then we'll have the swearing in. I'm told one o'clock. They're preparing a hasty podium on the Capitol steps now."

"How do the Democrats feel about this?" asked State Senator Cain Mitchell.

"I have no idea." said Collins. "And I don't really care."

"On the one hand," said State Rep. Jeff Canton, "Jared is no longer an anchor around our necks. On the other hand, his death might bring some sympathy to our Party. The Democrats may realize that this is not all that good for them."

"And the flip side of that is that we might lose the Grassroots vote completely." said Mitchell.

"Fuck the Grassroots!" yelled Wilson Hammonds. "Bury them all in the same filthy sewer hole with Jared!"

"I think our first order of business will be to deal with U.S. Senator Russell." said Graham Collins. "Once I'm sworn in, he can resign and I can appoint his successor."

"Who are you going to appoint?" asked Hammonds, seemingly disinterestedly.

"You want the job, Hammonds?" asked Collins. "Or maybe Speaker Newton? Get him out of our way, out of the State House, and you become Speaker?"

"That sounds like a plan." said Hammonds...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Priya Ajmani dabbed her eyes as she watched the television coverage in Katherine Woodburn's office at the State Capitol Office Building.

"You okay, Priya?" asked Katherine Woodburn.

"Yes ma'am." said Priya. "It's just... Commander Troy's little kids. They're going to have to grow up without their father."

"Yes." said Katherine. "At least Jared died, too. Okay, I've got a meeting with some Democrats down the hall. You can stay here. Let me know if anything develops."

Katherine walked down the hall to the Democrat Caucus Conference Room. "Hello, everyone." she said as she came in and took her place near the center, a place of relative importance. Leading the meeting was State Senator Jimmy 'Coffin' Cerone. After a few more people came in, Cerone started the meeting.

"First of all," said Cerone, "I don't care how happy or sad you are; I don't want to see any public expressions of joy at the death of the Governor. Protestors in the Town & County started cheering, and the Police took it as cheering for the death of their Police Commander. They ripped those protestors apart, sent a bunch of them to the hospital."

"I'm just as happy that Troy is dead as I am that Jared is dead." said State Rep. Justin Madoff of the City.

"Do not say that again in front of me." warned Cerone, fixing Madoff with an icy stare.

"I'm not happy that either one of them is dead." said State Rep. Isaac Jacobson of Coltrane County. "Jared was so easy to run against. And Commander Troy... I never hated him. He was a damn good Police Officer."

"I agree that Jared's death may cause us problems." said Katherine Woodburn. "It might generate sympathy for the Republicans. And we don't have him for cannon fodder any more, which isn't good for women's issues and our women candidates."

"And to that point," said State Rep. Tasheeka Harris of Midtown, "U.S. Senator Russell can resign now and let the Press coverage of him die off. Running against him and that rape charge was manna from Heaven for us."

"Graham Collins is almost as bad as Jared." said State Senator Richard Langdon, who was secretly more relieved at Commander Troy's death than Governor Jared's, but was not going to say it in front of Senator Cerone. "We have plenty to run on against the Republicans. No reason we can't take both Houses of the Legislature. And then we have a Democrat in the State House Speaker position, and Collins will be easy to destroy."

"Speaking of 'destroy'," said Katherine Woodburn, "before he died, Commander Troy absolutely destroyed our plans for a strong SBI running roughshod over local LEOs. Jack Lewis is a suspect in the murder of Griswold's son, and Lewis has disappeared and is likely on the run---"

"If Troy didn't murder him." said Justin Madoff under his breath, but loud enough to be heard.

"Hey." Cerone said, pointing his ink pen at Madoff. "I don't want to hear any more shit like that, either. Stick to facts, not wild accusations. You were saying, Senator Woodburn?"

"Just that the SBI situation is bad, even with these deaths." said Woodburn. "We're rebuilding from scratch."

"Okay, our staffers will figure out how to re-direct our campaign strategies." said Cerone. "Unless and until Russell is gone, he's a major focus for us."

"May I suggest, Senator Cerone," said State Rep. Elijah McKinney from Southport, "that we try to keep Russell in place until we get rid of Collins, too. Then we can get a Democrat U.S. Senator appointed..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Wow." said Donna Roselle as the women of 'Point Taken' watched in the lounge behind their studios at KSB. Their show had been pre-empted, and like everyone else, they quickly found a television to watch as the events unfolded. "I'm not going to lie: I'm glad Jared is dead."

"That was so sad, seeing Commander Troy's wife crying." said Zara Zeigler. "She's going to have to tell their kids that their father is dead... that's so awful."

"What do you think, Ruby?" asked Connie Chen. Everyone knew that the question was actually a dig at Ruby, the only non-leftist of the show's hostesses.

"Whoever did this may end up regretting it." said Ruby. "This could backfire and really hurt the Democrats in the elections."

"Are you saying Democrats did this?" Donna Roselle practically shouted.

"I'm not ruling it out." said Ruby, meeting Roselle's hatred-filled state with her own.

Ruby hid her concerns well. As long as Val Jared was Governor, her father Senator Russell had every reason to stay in place and not resign, which meant Ruby's job was relatively safe. But now Jared was dead, and Graham Collins, who desperately wanted a U.S. Senate seat for himself, was going to be Governor and would pressure Ruby's father to resign his Senate seat...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The MCD Room was silent as shocked Detectives tried to piece together their thoughts and get through their work.

*Whirrrrrrrrr*

Everyone straightened up and tried to get composed as the Captain of Detectives drove into the room. "Okay," said Tanya Perlman, her voice reflecting her anguish, "the Fire Marshal has sent the case to us. It's arson, and therefore two counts of first degree murder. Anyone want to volunteer to take this case?"

Everyone raised their hands, even stretching them upwards to get attention, like kids in school who knew the answers. "Thank you, everyone." Tanya said solemnly. "I was hoping to see that. I've decided to assign this to... all of us. We will all avenge... Comm... Commander Troy's... death..."

Tanya began breaking down, crying. "I'm sorry... I... Oh, geez..." she gasped, then lost it. She began sobbing, and her anguish was infectious.

Tanya felt arms circling her shoulders. She looked up to see Cindy Ross going to her knees next to Tanya's wheelchair. They cried together as they hugged.

Jerome Davis quietly came over and took the folder Tanya had been holding. "Okay guys," he said, taking leadership, "let's do this... for the Iron Crowbar. Here's what we've got..."

Part 12 - Swearing In Ceremony

12:00 high noon, Monday, August 20th. The helicopter carrying Governor Jared's body landed at the Midtown Airport, and a caravan of vehicles transported it to the Governor's Mansion. Protestors lined the streets, shouting and jeering at the hearse as it passed by. The hatred of Val Jared by leftist millennials was not appeased by his death.

The Death Certificate had been issued by the Town & County Coroner's Office. The proper notifications went out to the Office of the Lieutenant Governor, Speaker of the State House, the State Records House (the State's version of the Archives), and the Governor's Chief of Staff Office at the State Capitol. As 1:00pm approached, preparations were being made for the orderly transition of State governmental power.

Lt. Governor Collins was fidgety with anticipation. He was also a bit surprised how few people had called him, either to congratulate him or to lobby him for whatever political favor they wanted. Maybe they were waiting for things to calm down after Jared's funeral.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As 1:00pm neared, the Press were putting their cameras in place to record the swearing in. Most of them were happier that Donald Troy was dead than they were that Val Jared was dead. "Val Jared was good for news cycle after news cycle of stories." said a reporter. "But Donald Troy was just an asshole to us, threatening us, treating us like we're the bad guys. I hope he's burning in Hell right now."

Bettina Wurtzburg was talking to Tim Sioban and Meredith Peller. "Not too many politicians here." Bettina said.

"It's happening so fast," Meredith Peller said, "many haven't had time to get here."

"That's not it." said Tim Sioban. "Both Republican and Democrat Legislative leaders are here at the Capitol, having meetings. But I doubt any Democrats will show up, and a lot of Republicans hate Collins as much as they hated Jared."

As Graham Collins came out to the platform, Bettina said to her colleagues "You get the feeling something's not right here?"

"Yeah." said Sioban. "It does feel weird."

"Like it's too good to be true." said Meredith. "And we're going to wake up from the dream."

Then the assemblage of officials and guests came out onto the platform. There was polite applause as the Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court came up with Graham Collins.

"Are you ready to take the Oath of Office?" said the Chief Justice into the microphones.

"I am." said Collins.

"Shouldn't you ask me first?" called a voice from the edge of the stage behind Collins.

There were gasps as everyone recognized the man speaking. It was Valnius Jared, Governor of the State.

"Whaa?" gasped Collins. "How? How can this be?... Wait, if you're alive, Jared, then..." He turned and looked around. Yep...

Standing on the other side of the stage were two Police Officers. One of them was wearing a trenchcoat over civilian clothes and the ubiquitous Tilley Hat with Airborne wings over a TCPD hat badge. Next to him was Captain Teresa Croyle, tapping the red crowbar into her hand, and looking partially like the cat that swallowed the canary, and partially'Teresa Cunt' fierce.

"Oh, noooo..." said Collins as what was happening hit him fully.

I approached him, holding up a document. I said loudly: "Graham Collins, this is a warrant for your arrest, on charges of conspiracy to commit murder, conspiracy to commit fraud, interstate wire fraud, and a few other things. You have the right to remain silent..." As I recited to him his considerable rights, I was cuffing his hands behind his back.

I then enjoyed perp-walking another Establishment Elitist through the shocked Media and onlookers, Teresa following us. We got Collins into a black car, then Teresa and I got into the next car in the line, and the convoy began driving to the Midtown Federal Building.

The Governor stepped up to the microphones. "I suppose you're wondering what's going on." he said, in the biggest understatement in State political history...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"He's alive! Oh my God, he's alive!" shouted Joanne Warner as everyone watched in MCD. Cheers were erupting all over Police Headquarters, the two Precinct Headquarters, and many places in the County. It would be reported that Police K-9 Corps member Bowser barked mightily at the television as the Troy family watched at the Mountain Nest.