All Comments on 'Five Years'

by BTTap

Sort by:
  • 112 Comments (Page 2)
bookmadcatbookmadcatover 1 year ago

Well written, unexpected ending. I'm wondering, post-partum depression and suicide

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Interesting.😱🤔😢

xfac2021xfac2021over 1 year ago

If you want to tell a story, then tell your story, don't make your readers INFER the story. Maya's death would have been powerful if I wasn't distracted by the excessive cleaverness.

SunnyU2SunnyU2over 1 year ago

Agree with other comments. Nice idea, but it was too vague

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

The twist at the end was not as clever as the author tried to make it because he went too far over board in the early part of the story in steering the reader toward believing that Maya had left her husband for another man. While it's entirely possible for a bereavement to cause a feeling of abandonment it doesn't give cause for a man to question his masculinity or what he could have done to prevent her from 'going to another' for love.

buzzsawlennybuzzsawlennyabout 1 year ago

Yeah I saw this ending coming a mile off but in never explaining why she died it robs it of its power.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

More real than comments realize. My wife died leaving me with three young daughters. Part of the grieving was spent on self pity and anger at her leaving. It's been 7 years, filled with pain and sadness.

kalash777kalash77712 months ago

What a sad, beautiful story! Many thanks for it! Loved it!

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Great story - very well written

usaretusaret9 months ago

Nice little twist. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Power, yes that's the word. Because we don't know why she's dead we are left with too many possible reasons our imagination can conjure. Did she leave for a lover who killed her? Did she end it herself? Did she die of an illness she had no control over?

That ambiguity leaves the reader hanging.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

That's one of the problems of having a grave, its a magnet to draw living persons to the dead which then only is likely to occur for two or three generations. Loving a person in ones thoughts and talking about them to others is far better than visiting a grave where there are dead remains of a person. Me, I will be cremated and scattered. I would not want anyone to visit me when I am dead, what a waste of time.

Interesting story. Heartfelt but the little girl would learn far more from photos and video than visiting a grave.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous