Flashover Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Rudy Klinger," Sean supplied.

"Yeah, Klinger contacted us to see if we were interested in a counter bid. The directors talked it over and decided we weren't."

"Because you weren't ready or because you knew you couldn't match Barns' bid?"

"I don't know what Barns bid. The reason we didn't move forward was because we didn't know if the market was there. We were still doing the research on that. We're probably going to go forward with the project, but now we're looking at property on I-40 west of Raleigh. Our research indicates that's probably a better location than Brunswick."

"So even if Barns hadn't bid on the project, it sounds like you wouldn't have bought the property anyway."

"Never say never. We're planning to make some aggressive moves into the state, and may revisit Brunswick at some point in the future. If Barns' project jumpstarts growth, we may come back and develop another piece of property in the area. For now, though, since the deal fell through anyway, we're looking in a different direction."

Sean sighed. As he suspected, this thread went nowhere. "I think that wraps up everything I need to ask. Thank you for your time, Mr. Davenport."

"Sorry I can't help you."

"You answered my questions. Oh, one more, if I might. Other than Dynamic Properties, do you know of anyone who was interested in the property?"

"No. Sorry."

Sean grimaced in disappointment. "Okay. Thanks again for your time."

"No problem, sheriff."

Sean smiled as he hung up. Davenport probably thought every cop in North Carolina was called sheriff, or deputy, because of Andy Griffith. He glanced at the clock in the corner of his computer screen. It was almost three. He drummed his fingers a moment and then picked up his phone and dialed the wastewater treatment plant. When his call to her direct number went to voicemail, he hung up and dialed the main number.

"Lizard Lick Creek WWTP," a voice answered.

He grinned every time he heard the plant name. "Sean McGhee for Maggie."

"Hang on a minute, Sean. She's right here."

"Hey," Maggie said a moment later.

"You getting ready to go?"

"Soon, why?"

"I thought I'd leave early, pick up a pizza on the way to your place, and we'll have a double feature tonight. How's that sound?"

"That sounds like fun!"

"Hand tossed super-supreme, half with no green peppers for the lady, right? You want some of those brownie dessert things they have?"

"Ooooh, yeah," she cooed.

"I'll get some cheesy garlic bread too."

"We'll never eat all of that."

"Leftovers."

"Okay, perfect. I'll try to find something interesting to watch."

"I thought you wanted to see The Invisible Guest."

"I do, but we need a second. I'll do some poking around and see what I can find."

"I'll be there about five."

"Perfect. I'll see you then."

He hung up the phone and pounded away on Chips' personnel file for another ninety minutes. When he finished, he was ready to call it a day. His last task, before he logged out, was to mark the North State Textiles case as inactive.

His first stop was home to take care of a few things. He placed an order with the local Pizza Hut online, fed his cat, and then shaved in case Maggie asked him to stay. As soon as he was finished shaving, he hurried back to his car. The pizzas and brownies would be waiting by the time he got there. Good to their word, the food was ready and it took only moments to pick up the pies and then return to his car. As he drove, the enticing aroma of fresh baked pizza filled his car. He hadn't been hungry before, but by the time he arrived at Maggie's and pressed the bell, he was ravenous.

"Come in," she said, opening the door and taking the two smaller boxes he'd placed on top of the pizza box. "In the living room."

He carried the pizza into the living room and placed it on the rolling ottoman that matched her overstuffed furniture. Her living room was optimized for watching movies, with a giant television sitting on a cabinet and surround sound speakers placed around the room. Directly in front of the television was her brown, faux leather, reclining sofa with a large area rug of creams, tans, and browns in the center of the room. The rest of the furniture in the room was a matching chair and ottoman with built-in storage that she'd already covered with a towel to give them a place to set the pizza. It wasn't a full-on theater room, but she'd done what she could on a budget and in the space allowed.

He'd just opened the pizza box when she arrived with the garlic bread, two paper plates sitting on top, and a pair of Samuel Adams. She flipped down the center section of the couch and placed the beers in the holders before setting the garlic bread down beside the pizza. She retrieved the two lap desks while he placed pizza on their plates.

"What are we watching?" he asked as they settled in.

"I thought we'd start with The Invisible Guest, then finish with Metropolis."

He handed her a plate. "Metropolis? Isn't that where Superman lives?"

"It is, but it's also the name of perhaps the first full length sci-fi movie ever made. A 1927 silent by Fritz Lang. This is the 2010 restored version with most of the original footage restored and newly recorded music. It's been on my 'to see' list forever. I'd almost given up ever seeing it, but I found it today when I was looking for the second movie. I can't believe I've missed it until now."

"A silent movie?"

"Oh, for Pete's sake," she said with an exaggerated roll of her eyes, her tone playfully annoyed. "This is a classic! Stop being so negative! Expand your horizons! You like science fiction. Besides, you didn't think you'd like The Wave and Beauty and the Beast either, but you did, didn't you?"

"Yeah, yeah, okay. You're right," he said with a grin.

Truth be told, he really didn't care what he watched so long as he was watching with Maggie. She started the first movie.

"Wait, this has subtitles?" he asked as the movie began.

"Yeah. It's a Spanish movie." She giggled. "I thought we were past this. You want me to pick something else?"

"No, it's okay."

Unlike with The Wave, he quickly adjusted and had no trouble getting into the movie, despite the words flashing along the bottom of the screen. As they watched, they ate their pizza and garlic bread, stopping about a third of the way into the movie for dessert. Leaving the remains of their meal for later cleanup, Maggie flipped up the center section and curled up next to him, tucking herself in tight to his side with her legs folded up beside her.

"What'd you think?" she asked as they cleaned up their meal after the movie ended.

"Pretty good movie. I must be getting used to subtitles because I hardly noticed them this time."

"See..."

He smiled but said nothing as he put the leftover pizza in a plastic container and placed it in her refrigerator. After the pizza boxes and beer bottles were in the recycle bin, they settled in to watch the second movie, Metropolis. He had to admit, allowing for the fact the movie was ninety years old, he was damned impressed. The German expressionism made the film a little hard to follow and understand at times, but he had another item to check off his bucket list... watching a silent movie.

"That was amazing," Maggie gushed as they prepared for bed. "I wonder how they did some of that stuff. The robot changing into a woman? And the robot! I mean, I guess they had to film all that stuff in camera back then, right? I'll have to look that up."

He smiled as he shrugged. He enjoyed watching her get all worked up over something like this, prattling away like an excited kid over something that had caught her fancy. "I guess," he mumbled around his toothbrush.

"Did you like it?"

He finished brushing then rinsed his mouth. "It was okay. A little too artsy-fartsy and symbolic for my taste, but yeah, it was okay. I'm glad we watched it. Now I can hold my head up with you movie expert types and say, 'Yeah, I've seen it.'"

She snickered. "Next time you get to pick the movie, I promise."

"You've seen everything!"

"Not everything!"

"It seems like it."

She stepped into his arms. "That's okay. If I've seen it, I'll watch it again."

He gave her a fleeting kiss. "No, that's okay. You pick. A foreign language film in its original language and a silent movie in one night. What ever will you come up with next?"

She grinned. "Is that a challenge?"

"No!" he exclaimed, grinning and drawing the word out. "You'll probably have me watching a Chinese movie with Japanese subtitles or something."

"Ooh, have you watched much anime?"

"I've heard of it but never seen it. It's Japanese cartoons, right?"

"Only in the loosest sense. Some of it is just amazing. Let me see what I can find."

He rolled his eyes as if exasperated before grinning down at her. "Sure, that's fine."

"I wonder if I can get Ghost in the Shell? There's a live action version with Scarlett Johansson out. It'd be cool if you saw the original anime version first."

"Whatever you want to do."

She smiled up at him, that same smile she'd shown him the night he took her to Raleigh for her birthday. "You know what I want to do now?" she asked as she melted into him.

"What?" he asked, holding her gaze.

"Come with me and I'll show you."

.

.

.

TWENTY-THREE

Sean slapped at the side table, trying to find his phone before the fast-paced melody of trumpets, drums, and organs woke Maggie. He finally found it and pressed the button to accept the call as he stared at the time, giving himself a moment to wake up. 2:53. He'd been asleep less than four hours.

This had better be important, he thought as he finally brought the device to his ear. "McGhee," he breathed, keeping his voice low.

"Chief, there's been an officer involved shooting," Claire said, her voice tight.

That got his attention and his drowsiness vanished in an instant. He sat up, swinging his feet to the floor. "What?" he whispered as he rose and padded into the hall so he wouldn't wake Maggie.

"Fish was involved in a shooting, in Tilley. It happened about five minutes ago."

"Fuck," he muttered, rubbing his eyes. "Okay. I'm at Maggie's. I'm leaving now. You can give me the address on the way."

He ended the call, hurried back into the bedroom, and picked up his clothes.

"What?" Maggie mumbled as she rolled over.

"There's been a shooting. I have to go," he said as he tugged on his clothes.

"A shooting?" she repeated, her voice still thick with sleep. "Can't your officers handle it?"

"Fish shot someone."

"Oh no," she gasped quietly as she sat up.

He stood from putting on his shoes, leaned over, and gave her a quick kiss. "I have to go. I'll call you later," he murmured before he strode toward the door.

He trotted to his car and backed out into the road before slamming the car into drive, flipped on his strobes, and put his foot against the floor, the Charger bellowing as it gave him everything it had. Maggie's house was about fifteen minutes outside Brunswick, plus another five or so to Tilley, but he intended to make it to the scene in ten.

When he arrived in Tilley, five cruisers were clustered around, his own emergency strobes adding to the nauseating blue flicker lighting up the night. Donner and Caswell were at, what he assumed, was the victim's car, Chips was talking to Fish, and Officer Derrick Tilden was keeping the crowd back.

"Fish, you okay?" he asked as he walked up.

"No, not really."

"Tell me what happened."

"I shot an unarmed man," Fish said, his voice soft and quivering slightly.

Sean's blood ran cold. "Start at the beginning."

Fish took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "I was making a traffic stop. He was driving erratic and I thought he was DWI. No wants or warrants. As I approached, he got out of his car even though I was ordering him to stop. He had something in his hand and I shot him. It was his wallet. It all happened so fast."

Sean looked around. "Where is he?"

"Ambulance took him to Ellie Grey," Chips said, naming the small local hospital. "Three shots to the torso. They're going to stabilize him and then transport him to WakeMed. Guy's name is Lexington Hags, thirty-seven-year-old black male. Like Fish said, no current wants, but he does have some priors for drug use. We found a Hi-Point 9mm and what looks like heroin in the car."

"Shit," Sean spat. "That's something at least. Has anyone pulled the dash cam?"

"No," Chips replied.

"I'll take care of that. Take him home, stay with him, and run interference if you have to. There are only two words I want to hear out of your mouths if this gets out. 'No comment,' got it? Fish, try to relax, okay? We'll sort this out."

Chips gave Sean a single sharp nod. Fish and Chips were close. He'd have Fish's back.

"He was unarmed, chief," Fish said, his eyes full of pain.

"I know, Fish. Try to get some rest, okay? Go home and hold your wife and baby." He watched Fish's face a moment and didn't like what he saw. "Give me your service weapon," he said, holding his hand out.

Fish stared at him a moment with haunted eyes, then slowly pulled his service weapon and placed it in Sean's hand. "Are you going to prosecute? Am I fired?"

"This is just a precaution. I don't want you doing anything stupid." He looked at Chips. "Take care of him. I'll stop by in the morning and check on him. I'll put out the word and get someone over to relieve you."

"I'm sorry, chief. I screwed up."

"I don't want to hear that out of your mouth again," Sean said firmly. "Not until we have all the facts. If you fucked up, I'll tell you, but until then, you keep that shit to yourself, got it?"

Fish swallowed hard and nodded. "Yes, sir."

Sean softened. "We'll get through it. Just hang in there." He turned to Chips. "Get him out of here, and remember, 'No comment.'"

As Chips led Fish to his cruiser, Sean first secured Fish's weapon in his car and then approached Hags' faded and peeling first generation Ford Taurus.

"What've you got?"

Caswell held up a bag with the pistol in it. "Found it in the glove box." He held up another bag with several smaller bags inside, and a third with a syringe. "Found these in the center console."

Sean looked inside the car. The back seat was littered with empty fast-food containers, a porn magazine, and a pair of women's panties. He shook his head as he stepped back. "Let's wrap this up," he said softly. "I'm going to pull the dash cam footage from Fish's car then go check on this asshole and see if he lived. Can you two take care of getting Fish's cruiser and this piece of shit back to the station?"

Donner nodded. "You got it. How's he doing?"

"Shook up."

Caswell nodded. "Yeah. I would be too, but shit, Sean, I'd have done the same thing. He's got a new baby girl at home to think about."

Sean nodded. "I agree, it sounds like a clean shoot, but let's see what the video shows before we jump to any conclusions." He looked around at the hard faces of the gathered crowd. Less than two weeks after the BPD had taken over patrolling and one of his officers had shot their neighbor. Never mind the stupid shit got out of the car against orders, and with something in his hand too. They wouldn't see it that way. All they'd see is a white cop shooting an unarmed black man. "Fuck," he muttered as he turned away and walked to Fish's cruiser.

He killed the strobes to save the file and then opened the trunk and removed the memory card that held the dash cam footage. After removing the card he returned to his cruiser. He wanted to look at this right away so he'd be ready for the shit storm when it hit. He arrived at the station and Claire watched him enter with wide eyes.

"How's Fish doing?" she asked when he stopped in her office.

"Not good. He's really shook up. I sent him home with Chips."

"Poor guy."

"Yeah. I've got the dash cam footage. I'll be back in a few minutes to pull the radio traffic. Make sure you archive that."

"Already done."

"Okay, good. If anyone comes in here, as I told Fish and Chips, there are only two words I want to come out of your mouth... 'No comment.' Make sure that gets passed to all the other officers. Also, make sure everyone knows. Fish is probably going to need some support for a couple of days. See if someone can get over there in a few hours to give Chips a break."

"You got it."

He nodded before walking to his office. He flipped on the lights and sat down at his desk, unpacked his computer, and inserted the small memory card as soon as it finished booting. The dash cam system in their cars was always on. It recorded a five-minute loop until the blues were switched on, then the five-minute rule was suspended and the camera recorded until the lights were switched off. The file was then saved and a new five-minute loop was started. Their 128gb cards could hold about ten hours of high-resolution video before the card became full. When the card was at about seventy-five percent of capacity, the dash cam light changed from green to yellow to let the officer know it was time to erase some of the stored videos to make additional room.

Bill Horton, the previous chief, allowed the officers to simply erase the videos unless there was something of interest or they thought they would need the video to prosecute a case. He was going to change that policy and have every stop downloaded to the server and filed. They had the disk space for it, and if they filled that up, he'd buy more. He wanted to keep the video for at least a year, just in case they needed it. He had a good group of officers, and he didn't want any of them falsely accused of inappropriate behavior.

The files were organized by date and time, so it only took him an instant to find the video he wanted. He copied it to both his computer and the server for safe keeping before he began watching it. It started out as what appeared to be a routine traffic stop. Fish pulled in behind a car that was driving slow and weaving slightly, its brake lights flickering as the driver brake danced the car. The car pulled to the side and stopped and Sean heard the scrapes and bumps of Fish moving around in his car.

Dispatch, I need a license check. North Carolina Plate, JSY 3418, Fish said, the video showing the back of the Taurus as it was illuminated by the cruiser's headlamps and emergency strobes.

Stand by, Fish, Claire's voice responded. JSY 3418, 1990 Ford Taurus, blue in color, registered to Lexington Leroy Hags, black male, thirty-seven, 806 West Creek Drive, Tilley. Three priors on felony narcotics possession. No wants or warrants.

Thanks, Claire. Exiting car at, err, 1022 Holiman in Tilley.

There was a wash of white during the sounds of the door opening and Fish exiting the car, the interior lights reflecting off the windshield blinding the camera for a split second before it adjusted. The door shut and the screen blacked out, then washed out from the glare of the strobes, before the picture again appeared.

Fish appeared on the left side of the frame. He was at the Taurus's rear bumper when the driver's door began to open. Fish immediately went to a shooter's crouch. He couldn't hear what Fish was saying, but he could tell he was yelling something at the driver, pointing frantically as the door continued to open. As Lexington began exiting his car, Fish began to back up toward the cruiser, drawing his weapon while shouting. There was something black in Lexington's hand as he reached outward, and he was saying something. Fish had backed out of frame, but Sean heard the three sharp reports of Fish's weapon. Lexington staggered back against the Taurus, then fell. Fish appeared again as he approached Hags, his weapon still on the downed man, before he holstered his side arm and dropped to the ground. Part of the scene was blocked by the hood of Fish's car, but Sean could see enough to know Fish was talking into his shoulder radio while administering first aid.