Flight of the Raven Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thankfully, I didn't actually have to help John with his plan. I got to sit on a table with Cathy, one of her long, supple arms around my waist as she rested her delicate head on my shoulder. Her soft brown locks were tickling my neck and smelled of peaches. I inhaled her warm sent as I watched Tone and a few teachers going around the room, coercing everyone towards the central area where John was explaining the voting process. I turned towards Cathy when I felt her small hand on the back of my head. My mind in a fog of lust as I felt her sweet fingers luxuriously caressing my hair.

Ah shit.

She was leaning towards me, hazel eyes on fire as she tried, desperately, to kiss me.

Fuck.

As gently as I could I pushed her back, holding her at arms length. I took a deep, shuddering breath, hoping to clear my head of her intoxicating scent. After a few moments I was back in a semblance of control. Looking down at Cathy's face, her head tilted in confusion, and her eyes quickly moistening with tears. I berated myself for being such an idiot, and for unconsciously stringing her along.

Well, I guess I owed her an explanation, and an apology.

"Cathy... Erm... you're really beautiful, and I can tell you're smart and caring too, even though I haven't really spent much time with you." Yea I was really fucking this up, but the clichés just kept on flowing -- fast and thick. "Look. It's not you. It's me."

Oh wow. I can't believe I said that. Even Cathy looked taken aback, well at least that had stopped her tears.

I soldiered on, despite one of Cathy's eyebrows that was cocked up in an 'are you fucking serious' manner. "Basically, what I'm trying to say." And failing horribly I thought to myself. "Is that as much as you seem to be an incredible person, and I'm extremely flattered to even have your attention. But. Well. There's someone else. I'm really sorry for stringing you along, I honestly didn't even think about it."

All right. Bad start but I think I managed to wrap things up nicely, now as long as she doesn't ask anything else I should be fine. I crossed my fingers as I saw her mouth begin to move.

Cathy spoke softly. "Well I'm sorry too Luke. I guess I came on a bit strong, especially with all that's going on at the moment." She smiled at me a little sadly. "I think that after you saved me from the ash I just felt close to you. You know?" she asked

"Yea, I know what you mean. Cathy... I really would like to be friends with you at least. I meant what I said about you being a lovely person. Let's just forget about all this and start again. As friends?"

She grinned at me and answered. "You've got yourself a deal buster."

Cathy stuck her hand out to me and waited, patiently.

Very patiently...

God I'm an idiot. I blushed at my inability to grasp the situation and shook her hand.

Cathy smiled at me, her eyes glinting mischievously and said simply. "Friends."

Cathy sat back down beside me, although this time without her head on my shoulder and arms crossed on her legs.

By now Tone and the teachers had managed to herd everyone in the room to the centre where they sat on chairs and tables, listening to John.

Just as I began listening to him too, Cathy spoke up. "Luke, if you don't mind me asking, who is she?"

Shit. I thought I wouldn't have to go through this. This was going to be so embarrassing.

"Well, she's got the most amazing green eyes I've ever seen. They shine brightly with warmth, compassion and intelligence. In her emerald orbs I can see myself. I can see all I want to be. All I am. Everything. Her twin viridian pools seem to draw my very soul into them whenever I'm lucky enough to gaze at them. Honestly, I don't have the words to do them justice. Not even nearly." I was shaking as I looked at Cathy, praying that she wouldn't continue, but knowing that she would.

"Green eyes?" She looked at me incredulously. "Oh come on Luke. I meant who is she, not what colour her eyes are!" she shook her head and chuckled at what she obviously thought was my attempt to evade the question. It made my heart ache to think that it wasn't.

"That's who she is." I spoke so softly that Cathy barely heard me, but she did. She saw the tears now running down my face, and realised that I wasn't joking. Cathy enveloped me in a soft, warm hug that smelled of fresh peaches and we just sat there. Occasionally, she would stroke my hair and whisper sweet nothings in my ear. We sat there for a good minute, the sound of John's voice echoing around the room.

We sat there some more.

Eventually, I got myself under control and managed to dry my tears on a handkerchief that Cathy miraculously produced. From where I have no idea.

"Thanks Cathy, I'm truly glad you decided to be my friend." I said warmly, smiling up at her worried face.

She smiled as well, and then her face became inquisitive. "I still don't know what you mean by the way."

My good mood, as short as it was, evaporated. "I guess you deserve the truth." I sighed, holding her gaze in mine. Determined not to cry -- this time. "I've never told this to anyone before, anyone at all." I took a breath. "I saw her when I was ten years old. My mother and I lived in Birmingham, in a small two bedroom apartment. It was a complete dump: cracking, discoloured paint, damp, mouldy floorboards, windows that didn't close properly and a pungent smell of rot from the bathroom. You get the idea. Anyway, it was Christmas eve and I remember staring through the window of my tiny room, long after my mum had put me to bed for the night. I was just too excited to sleep. That was the first time I had ever seen snow, and I couldn't get enough of it."

I laughed when I saw Cathy smile and roll her eyes. "Hey, I was ten! snow's a magical thing when you're that age." I huffed indignantly. "So there I was: a little boy staring out my window watching snow fall for the first time, and then my alarm went off. I had set it for midnight determined not to miss a second of Christmas day, but as the quiet buzzing filled my room I realised just how tired I felt. However, before I switched off the alarm and went to sleep I did what all little boys and girls do on Christmas day. I made a wish."

I sighed, pausing in my story. "You have to understand a few things about me first. Before my wish will really make sense to you. My mother started teaching me martial arts when I was around eight. I can't even remember exactly when. We would move town almost every year, and my mother and I, despite being on our own, weren't exactly best mates. We kind of rubbed each other the wrong way, even when I was that age. When you move schools on a yearly basis and can put someone in the ground with one punch or kick from the age of eight. Well, its not exactly friendship material. Anyway, this all boiled down to me being a very lonely kid."

I looked at Cathy's eyes now moist with tears and smiled sadly. "So, can you guess what I wished for? When I was looking out my window at the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in my entire life?"

Cathy swallowed, trying to clear her throat so that she could reply. "A friend?" She whispered gently.

"Yes, but not just any friend. My friend. My perfect friend. I wished for someone that would make the pain go away, someone who would always be with me, someone who would know me for who I really am, someone like me. Above all, I wished for someone to love." I paused, closing my eyes and smiled. "Then I went to sleep, and I dreamed. All night I lay in my bed dreaming of these green eyes, burning with the fire of intelligence, burning with passion, burning with love. It took awhile, but sometime in the night I realised that she was looking at me, and that's when I realised that it wasn't just a dream. It was our dream."

I sighed deeply. "I still dream about her. Even now, eight years later, and I can't get her out of my head." I glanced guiltily at Cathy and continued. "That's why we can't be together. I'm sorry, but you deserve more than playing second fiddle to a girl who isn't even real."

By now Cathy was completely in tears, her chest heaving with silent sobs as she fought to get herself under control.

I made to speak, but she raised a hand to quiet me. Draping an arm around her shoulders I hugged her instead. This was met by a whimper of approval as she buried her head in the crook of my shoulder. We sat this way for a few minutes, while the rest of the room was still engaged in the voting session.

Seriously, you'd think that a demon apocalypse would put an end to democracy. Apparently not.

Looking down, I noticed that Cathy had stopped sniffling and was looking up at me with a smile on her beautiful face.

"What?" I asked her, somewhat confusedly.

"Thank you." Cathy said.

Well that made even less sense that her smile. Just great.

She continued "I just realised that you've never told that to anyone else, have you?"

"Erm nope. Why?" I asked her. Hoping that she'd finally enlighten me.

"Thank you for trusting me with this." she explained. "It means a lot, and I'm grateful that you didn't take advantage of me." she coughed, blushing profusely in the process. "God knows I've given you enough chances."

I stared at her, completely stunned, wondering if I'd heard her correctly.

Cathy took my silence as a cue to continue. "If you ever want to talk about this again, or anything else, I'm here for you Luke. We made a deal to be friends and I intend on keeping it mister." with this she poked my chest and giggled.

Her laughter was infectious and I joined her, chuckling at the absurdity of the moment.

This time It was me that stuck a hand out to her.

Cathy wasted no time in shaking it, and I proudly stated. "Friends."

"Friends." Cathy repeated, a huge grin plastered on her face.

The moment was shattered by the appearance of Tony in front of us carrying two pens, two scraps of paper and a small cardboard box.

"You guys are the last." He said to us.

Cathy looked at him quizzically, unsure of his meaning.

"It doesn't make a difference Tone." I told him.

Now I was treated to Cathy's quizzical stare.

"Of course it does Luke. That's the whole point of a vote, right?" Tony stammered.

"Look around Tone, no one's standing." I replied sorrowfully, I had hoped that we would leave this place as I wanted to find my mother.

"But... What...?" Tony began forming a semi-coherent reply.

Thankfully, he was interrupted by an exclamation from Cathy before he had a chance to embarrass himself further.


"Ah!" She shouted, her eyes alight with understanding. "If they had voted to go people would be standing by now, eager to be off, or perhaps preparing themselves for the trip."

"Right, and since that's not the case we can assume with a large degree of success that the majority of the room have voted to stay. Meaning our two votes: are utterly pointless." I stated, as I slid the two pieces of paper back to Tone. Having written 'Don't Care' on both of them, while Cathy had been speaking.

Before Tony could reply I continued. "The point is that we have to do what we feel we must in order to survive regardless of whatever people vote for -- this is no longer a democracy. Thinking that way will get you killed. Look, don't worry about it right now. Just give the box to John and then count up the votes. We'll talk later. Trust me."

That seemed to do the trick. Tony shook his head at me, but did as I asked nonetheless collecting the box and hurrying over to the table where John sat, talking to a few teachers.

"Luke, is it really that important. It's just a vote. Right?." Cathy lightly admonished me.

I turned my sombre gaze to her and spoke softly, so as not to be overheard. "He has to learn Cathy. So do you." I sighed, I seemed to be doing it a lot today. "Clinging to the past won't bring it back. I know it hasn't been long, but the world has changed and I guarantee that you won't survive long if you don't adapt to it. I'm sorry for being blunt, but you and Tony are the only friends I have." Real ones anyway, I thought with a grimace. "I'd kinda like you to stay alive."

Cathy stared at me for a second or two, her face a mask as her eyes pierced mine.

"All right." She said simply, accepting the truth of my words. "You should tell Tony too. I'm sure he'd understand if you explained things to him properly."

"Maybe." I replied quietly. "But you saw the broadcast. I'm not sure we have time to do things 'properly' any more."

Suddenly, I saw John stand up at his table and clear his throat loudly.

The noise in the room began to die out as students and teachers alike turned their gazes upon the headmaster.

"We have just finished counting the votes and the vast majority of you have elected to stay. Of the 204 votes, 198 of them were in favour of remaining here at the school. Obviously, if you still wish to leave then that is your decision, and I will not try to keep you here. However, if you wish to stay then we must work together to secure the school." John paused and glanced over at me as if deciding how much of our conversation he would reveal.

Apparently, John felt that 'most of it' was a good start.

I should have just kept my mouth shut. Two hundred teachers and students who were all about to be scared shitless running around a dark school -- was not my idea of a good time.

Fortunately, before John could divulge Tony's theories about the imp from the broadcast to the room, another earthquake occurred; cutting through John's speech with a thunderous roar as the very ground shook and trembled like a sandcastle being battered by the sea.

Looks like my luck's finally starting to change I thought, smiling, as I began to turn towards the big windows behind me, along with everyone else, wondering if I would be able to spot where the quake was manifesting.

Of course, that's also when my luck decided to stop messing with me and returned to being 'fucking annoyingly unlucky' instead.

A spectacular return to form I thought with a grimace as all eyes in the room were fixed on the windows, or more accurately, on what was outside the windows. Past the grime-covered glass was the blackened, burnt and dead ground that was once the football field -- apparently grass didn't last long against thick waves of hot ash. However, all this was barely noticed in light of the thing that had cruelly captured our attention.

Fire. A thin wall of reddish-black flames, a little under a metre tall were creeping their way through the husk of the field towards us. The wall at the far end of the field had a large gash in the centre where the bricks had collapsed, and through this opening the flames were moving steadily forwards.

Seconds passed with infinite slowness as the fire continued its gruelling march on the school.

Just before the flames reached the centre of the field -- they halted. Unmoving, the fire still commanded our stares.

"A crack." Cathy whispered beside me, fearfully clutching my hand in her own.

I couldn't speak. My eyes were still riveted on the flames, on the split in the earth beneath them, on the gateway to Hell.

A collective gasp was issued by students and teachers alike as a small, black-tipped, red claw emerged from the rend in the earth and grabbed the edge of the crack.

Another claw followed, and another, and another, until dozens of claws were gripping the earth and pulling themselves upwards, exposing their stubby, red arms, small, black horns, black-veined wings, glowing, green eyes and long, lolling, purple tongues that were drunkenly tasting the air and lightly caressing their sharp fangs.

The earlier gasp was nothing compared to the shrill symphony of screams that began to rise up in unison amongst the room's inhabitants as the first imp's hoofed feet found purchase on the charred earth of the field.

One by one they pulled themselves out of the hole, through the flames and into the light of the eclipse. The screaming had died down as together we all mutely stood, spellbound, captivated by the sight of our own doom.

There were twelve of them in all: lined up in a ragged formation, glowing, green eyes darting around in every direction, searching for prey, searching for us.

A boy at the front of the crowd, nearest the windows, fainted; his head coming down hard on the windowpane in front of him. The crack of the glass echoed with a finality through the room, sealing our fates.

As one, twelve sets of glowing, emerald eyes latched onto the window and twelve sets of wings started beating, lifting their charges into the air and laboriously carrying them towards us.

Yet still we stood, unable to run, unable to speak, unable to think, completely enthralled by the vision of death moving closer and closer.

The reticence was broken when the leading imp hit the window. Hard. Smashing through it and landing gracelessly in a heap on the floor, large shards of glass sticking out from all over its small red body. Black blood dribbling down to the floor from its myriad collection of jagged wounds. However, this didn't seem to impede the creature as it lazily stood back up on its hoofed feet and turned, sticking its purple tongue out at us and grinning cruelly. The spell of silence enveloping the room was irrevocably shattered.

As people found their voices again I had to cover my ears from the noise. The clashing cacophony of cries were deafening.

More of the imps began crashing through the windows, some through the holes already made, others seemingly finding pleasure in smashing through unbroken panels, despite the fierce wounds they were receiving in return.

I had to act. Now.

Grabbing Cathy's hand I lead her to back, towards the centre of the room and the ring of tables surrounding the TV. She let herself be guided without protest, unable to move on her own.

We could hear people behind us screaming in agony. We didn't dare look back.

As I jumped the tables and helped Cathy over she began functioning again, although she was now shaking all over.

I needed her to calm down. I needed her help. "Cathy. I need your help, we all do. Come on my friend." I told her, as soothingly as I could in the situation. Yea, in other words, I basically just yelled at her.

It seemed to do the trick, despite my abysmal attempt to speak softly. She stopped shaking and looked at me, nodding earnestly.

"Good." I smiled, relieved that I wouldn't have to do this alone. "We need to find a box, it's a large, plastic box with a lid and it's under one of these tables, but I have no idea which one. Can you help me?"

Cathy breathed deeply, but met my gaze nonetheless. "Yes."

More screams echoed around the room as we split up, looking under each table for the right box.

By now a stream of humanity was swiftly exiting the cafeteria through any and all available exits. Including, by the sounds of a metal door banging open and the noise of the wind picking up, through the fire-exit leading outside.

I forced myself to ignore the sounds as I desperately continued searching under tables. I had seen John give the box to Mr Harrel to put under the tables with the rest of the supplies, but I hadn't seen where.

As more moans of the dying reached me I began to lose hope. What if I was wrong, maybe the box wasn't even under one of these tables, maybe it was somewhere else, maybe it wouldn't be enough even if I did find it.

I forced myself to keep looking, wiping away the few tears that had managed to stubbornly leak through my defences.

I was a wreck as I looked under what must have been the tenth table. The cries of agony, the smell of blood and the cruel, maniacal laughter that I could only assume came from the imps permeated my being, battering at my sanity and wrenching on my soul.

"Luke! I've got it." Cathy bellowed from across the room.

1...345678