Flight to Paradise Ch. 13

Story Info
Kate needs time; Charlie gives advice.
9.2k words
4.81
3.1k
2

Part 32 of the 38 part series

Updated 12/03/2023
Created 05/25/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Immersion Playground

Book #3: Flight to Paradise

Chapter 13

Mac sleeps restlessly, unable to let go of his anger with his mother and unable to comfort Kate. He senses her slipping through his fingers like sand. A noise causes him to jerk awake, the early morning light shining in the window. She's not in the bed and he flings the linens back, desperately afraid for her, until he notices her two large suitcases sitting by the door. So, she's leaving. He turns to see her step out of the bath. She's dressed, but rumpled and haggard looking, not her normal immaculate self.

"Can we talk about this?"

"What's to talk about?" she snaps, her voice cool. "It pretty obvious this relationship is going no place, so I don't see the need to stick around."

"Kate, wait a minute. Can't we just—"

"No Mac, we can't," she interrupts. "You said you'd take me home today. Are you going to do that, or do I have to rent a car?"

He stands. "No, I'll take you home. But won't you please stay? Kate, we can work this out!"

She stares at him, torn. She wants to stay, but then she hardens her heart again. "I don't see how. Your mother thinks I'm a whore. A fucking hooker only interested in her next john. Well fuck that Mac, and while I'm at it, fuck you too."

He holds his hands up in surrender. "Kate, I know you're hurt, and mad, but just calm down, okay? Will you wait while I get a shower? Please? Then I'll take you home."

She fumes. She's being a total bitch, and she knows it, but she doesn't care, and it pisses her off that he won't fight back, taking everything she throws at him with calm patience. "Yes, I'll wait," she finally says, standing in the middle of his room, not moving to sit down or make herself comfortable.

He sighs at her aggressive posture. "I'll be as quick as I can."

***

After his shower he prepares a quick breakfast of fried eggs on toast, hinting that FAA regulations require pilots to eat every so many hours, trying to get her to eat something. He isn't hungry but she has to be starving, having not eaten lunch or dinner the day before. It takes a little coaxing, but the smell of cooking eggs breaks down her resistance and she finally agrees to allow him to fix her a sandwich as well.

At the hanger she helps him get the plane out of the hanger and pre-flight it, but when they board the plane, she takes one of the passenger seats. He slumps slightly in resignation, having thought they were making a little progress, but says nothing to her as he moves to the front of the plane.

Pursing his lips in frustration he begins his checklist.

She's sitting in the back of the plane as they fly south to LA, feeling sorry for herself, when a ping arrives from Bertrand McMillan, surprising her that she can receive a ping while in the air. Her first inclination to reject the ping, but in this whole fucked up mess that's her life, Bert is probably the most innocent.

"Hello Mr. McMillan."

"Kate," Bert says over the link. "May I please have five minutes of your time?"

"Did Mac put you up to this?"

"No, and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't tell him I pinged. He'll be furious with me for meddling."

"How did you find me?"

"It took a little doing, let me tell you, and I have the code to reach Mac when he's flying, but I don't want to cause trouble, so let's just say a little bird gave me your address. Kate, the reason for my ping... Cynthia told me what happened. I'm not going to ask your forgiveness for her, but I do want to ask you to not take your anger out on Tony. He had nothing to do with what happened in the kitchen and Cynthia said he was standing up for you every step of the way. We thought it important that you know that."

She thinks about what he said. So, he was defending her, but that still doesn't make it right. "Will you answer one question honestly for me, Mr. McMillan?"

"Yes, Kate. You deserve that much."

"Why does your wife think I'm nothing but a cheap whore? I've not asked Mac for a thing. Not one damn thing!"

He's quiet for a long time. "You probably won't believe this, but it's the truth. She doesn't. Cynthia just worries that women may try to take advantage of Tony. She's a bit old fashioned when it comes to sex and marriage and... she worries. Worries that he will get some girl pregnant, or that someone will string him along and take advantage of him—"

"And she thinks I'm that woman?" she interrupts, her voice as hard a steel.

"No Kate, she doesn't, she never did, but worry over your child sometimes makes you say and do things you regret," he says quietly. "Kate, perhaps I shouldn't say this, but you need to know. The reason Cynthia was so worried is... well, let's just say Tony is acting differently around you than he has any of his other girlfriends. He seems... more at peace I guess you could say. We both noticed it the first day we met you. Tony has always been a bit of a loner, and when we found out you were spending a month with him..."

She's quiet, thinking over what Bert's said. Could it all be just a terrible misunderstanding? "Are you telling me Mac's in love with me?"

"No. I can't speak for Tony's feelings, but I think you're good for him, and I don't want something we did to come between you and Tony. So please, if you have any feelings for Tony at all, don't let a foolish old man and woman ruin a good thing. I'm just asking that you not punish Tony for something he didn't do. That's all I'm asking."

Her tears threaten again. She's so torn, being eaten from the inside by her hurt and anger, and yet, he seems so sincere, so kind and gentle. "I'll try... Bert."

"Thank you, Kate. That's all I ask, for you to try. And Kate..."

She waits. "Yes, Bert?" she asks when he doesn't continue.

"Cynthia and I would love it if you would come visit us, in Hays, sometime. You and Tony, if you can find it in your heart to forgive us. We'd like to try to make amends for what has happened," he says quietly.

He sounds so sad, sincere, and hopeful that her tears begin again, wondering what it would be like to have parents that care so much. She also notices that he's taking some of Cynthia's guilt upon himself, an action she finds touching. "I need some time, Bert. But I'll think about it, about everything," she says, sniffing back her tears.

"Thank you, Kate. That's all I ask... and no matter what happens, Kate... you seem like a wonderful young woman and I, we, wish you the best."

"Thank you," she murmurs, still fighting against her tears. "Maybe we'll meet again."

"I'd like that," he says quietly before dropping the link.

She sits in her seat thinking about his words. Not once in the entire conversion did he ask forgiveness for himself or his wife, and he defended Mac without accusing her of overreacting or being unreasonable. He really did seem to be only concerned about Mac, and maybe, if she can believe him, herself. She pulls herself together and wipes her eyes before getting up and moving to the front of the plane and sinking into the right-hand seat.

Mac watches her settle into the co-pilot seat and put on her seatbelt, headset and sunglasses, unsure of what to say, unsure if there's anything to say.

"Would you like to talk?" he asks when she doesn't seem inclined to say anything.

"Tell me what happened in the kitchen," she says, looking out her side window, not making eye contact.

He hesitates, not wanting to start another fight. "Mom was cautioning me on the wiles of women... again. She still seems to think I'm eighteen years old."

She looks at him. "Cautioning you about me?"

"Not about you. Just..." he flounders, looking for a way to explain it to her without upsetting her again.

"Just what, Mac? Just spit it out. It can't get any worse. I want to understand."

"Okay. Just before you came into the room, she was lecturing me about you staying for three weeks. She didn't like the fact that you were 'moving in' after us knowing each other for only a month," he says, his tone becoming hard as he remembers his annoyance.

"What did you say?"

"I told her to mind her own business. No, that's not true. I told her I'd have you in my bed forever if I could."

She's surprised at his answer. Of all the responses she expected, that has to be near the bottom of the list. "Did you really? Don't lie to me, did you really tell your mother you wanted me in your bed the rest of your life?"

"Kate, I don't remember the exact words, but more or less, yes, that's what I told her."

She displays the first hint of a smile since she walked into his kitchen. "What did she say to that?"

"She didn't like it one bit. That's when she said that you seem like a nice girl, but after only a month I can't know the kind of woman you are."

"She said that? That I seemed like a nice girl?"

"That, or something similar, yes. Kate, I told you yesterday, it's not what you think. What she said yesterday wasn't very nice, but she wasn't accusing you of anything. I'm just sorry you had to overhear it."

"What happened after I left?"

"Before or after I threw them out of my house?" he asks with a faint smile.

"You threw your parents out of your house?" she gasps, shocked at his admission.

"Well, let's just say I made a strong suggestion it would be better for all parties if they weren't there when I got back. Then I spent the next thirty minutes looking for you. I knew what you overheard, and I knew how you'd take it. And frankly, you scared the shit out of me when I couldn't find you. I didn't know what you might do. The look on your face..." he says before reaching over and taking her hand.

"Your mom hurt me. She might not have meant to, but she did. Your mother doesn't look anything like my mother, but for just a moment, it was my mother all over again, and I haven't seen my mom in ten years because of it."

"I know," he says softly. "I can't tell you how sorry I am that you're having to go through this again." He swallows hard before continuing. "Kate, I... don't want you to go," He says hesitantly. "I won't beg, but I would like it very much if you'd please come back home with me. We still have enough gas to get back. We can get through this. I know we can."

She's quiet for a long time, trying to come to grips with her emotions. His story is very similar to the story Bert told her, so maybe it's the truth, that Cynthia wasn't accusing her of anything. But that doesn't take away the hurt she feels because, no matter how you look at it, Cynthia didn't trust her around Mac, and that still hurts.

"Okay," she finally says. "I was going to tell you to go fuck yourself when we get to LA, but now... I think I just need some time. Can you give me some time?"

He wants to sag in relief and leap for joy at the same time. "Yes, as much as you need."

"I'm sorry I was such a bitch this morning."

Mac wants to tell her it's okay, but it isn't. He hadn't liked her attitude and the fact she was punishing him for something he didn't do one bit, but what goes around comes around, and he considers it penance for how he treated Sandra.

"I understand. You have a right to be mad and hurt, but that part is behind us now. Let's focus on the future."

Kate has one more thing to tell him, and while she's afraid of his response, she has to know. "Mac... I deleted the key to your house," she says softly, looking at her feet.

"Would you like it again?"

"I would, if you don't mind giving it—" Before she can even finish the sentence, the key arrives over the link. She struggles mightily to hold onto her tears of relief, but can't. "Thank you," she whispers, sniffing and wiping at her eyes.

***

He carries her bags to her car before kissing her goodbye. The hug and resulting kiss is awkward, neither sure of the other's feelings, afraid of making a mistake and tearing the fragile peace asunder. As he watches her drive away, he wants to rage against the unfairness of the universe, but he's impotent, having no target for his wrath other than his mother. Cynthia has always been opinionated and meddlesome, but this is the first time she's really fucked up, but he can't hate her because deep inside, he knows she loves him and is trying to protect him.

He returns to the Goose, watching as the tanker arrives to begin filling the plane with avgas for the return trip. Sucking in a deep breath to fortify himself, Mac pings his mother.

"Tony! Thank God! I was afraid you'd never speak to me again," Cynthia says, answering his ping instantly. "I'm so sorry for what I did! Please forgive me," she begs, and he can her begin to cry.

"Mom, don't cry. I forgive you, but it's not my forgiveness you should ask for. It's Kate's."

"I know," she says with a sniff. "I feel so bad for what I said. I didn't mean it the way she took it. I really didn't! I like Kate. I'm so afraid I've ruined everything."

"You very nearly did. In fact, you may have. It's too soon to tell. I'm trying to put it back together, but you hurt her, hurt her more than you'll ever know. Kate hasn't had it easy, and you opened up some old wounds that run deep. I'm afraid it is going to take a long time to fix this. If I can."

"I know, Tony, I know. I'm so sorry. Can I talk to her? I want to make—"

"I don't think that's a good idea right now, Mom," he interrupts. "She's barely talking to me at the moment."

"I'm sorry she's taking it out on you," she says, and he can hear her tearing up again. "I'm sorry for everything."

"Mom, I need a promise from you," he says, making his voice hard. "We're done talking about my love life. Promise me this."

"Tony, I just—"

"Mom! You've never broken a promise to me that I can remember. You have to promise me this. Promise me we're done talking about my relationships," he interrupts, his voice hard, the implied threat hanging between them.

"I promise," she says meekly.

"Thank you," he says, softening his voice. "You've hurt Kate, and because of that, you've hurt me. I don't want to ever be put in this situation again."

"I know. This is all my fault. Do you think you can make things right with Kate?"

"I don't know, Mom, I really don't. But I'm going to try like hell."

***

Flying home from LA he has time to think, think about Kate and what she means to him. He's frustrated that just when he thinks he's found someone special, a woman that's more than just a plaything, she's snatched from him through no fault of his own. Worse still, he doesn't know what to do about it, a situation he rarely finds himself in, and he dislikes the feeling of helplessness nearly as much.

Once the Beauty is safely stowed in the hanger, he tries to ping Kate, only to have his ping go directly to her mailbox—much to his annoyance—but at least she's not rejecting his pings entirely. He leaves a brief message that he's arrived home and just wanted to check on her, but no return ping is forthcoming. He wanders about the house, unsure of what he wants to do until finally embarking on a strenuous workout to burn off his frustration and nervous energy. Two hours later, weak, exhausted, and dripping sweat, he showers then tumbles into bed for a night of fitful sleep.

***

Tuesday morning Kate calls on Charlie at Immersion Playground, hat in hand.

"Kate! What are you doing here? I thought you were with Mac." Charlie exclaims, inviting Kate to a large comfortable chair in her office, Charlie seating herself in a matching one beside her.

"Charlie, I need a job. Anything at all. Mac and I, well, we're not seeing each other at the moment, and I need something to keep me busy."

"Oh no!" Charlie breathes. "Can you tell me what happened?"

At first, she doesn't want to talk about it but Charlie is perhaps her oldest and dearest friend, and after a moment of hesitation, the whole story comes out. Kate is proud of herself that she manages to get through the entire sordid story without shedding a tear.

"So, I need something to keep me occupied, otherwise I just sit around the house and mope," she finishes.

"I don't think I have anything, but let me look," Charlie says and fades out, accessing her records until twenty seconds later she comes back, her eyes once again focusing on Kate. "Kate, I'm sorry. You know you're my go to person most of the time, but I just don't have anything, nor can I find anyone looking for someone that would be a good fit."

"That's okay. I really didn't expect you have anything or you would have told me already. But I had to ask," she says, rising to go.

"Kate! Wait a minute. Let me think," Charlie says, racking her brain for a way to help her. "Why don't you ping Mac?" she asks while she puzzles. "It doesn't sound like you should be mad at him."

"I know. And I'm not, well, not anymore. But, I don't know. I just can't deal with it right now. I need to get my head straight."

Charlie sighs, it's Tip all over again. Years ago her best friend, Madeline Tipton, had committed suicide after yet another failed relationship, and Tip's death haunts her still. While Kate is emotionally stronger than Tip, she's determined to not fail Kate like she had Tip.

"Kate, you and Mac are perfect for each other. I could see it at dinner the other night. Don't let his mother get in the way of that. Don't let anything get in the way of that."

"That's a lot easier said than done, Charlie," Kate says quietly.

"I know. Kate, you're the strongest woman I know. You can do this. I know you can. It sounds like Mac is trying to meet you more than halfway. He threw his parents out of his house over you for god's sake! But he can't do it alone. You have to help." Charlie pauses, a sudden thought coming to her as she sends a quick text ping to Giselle, Rick and Todd before continuing. "Kate, you can't know how happy you can be until you find your Todd, or your Rick," she says with meaning.

Kate is quiet for a moment. "I don't think I'll ever feel like Giselle."

"You can. You just have to find the right person."

"And you think Mac is that person?"

"I think he might be. But only you will know for sure."

"I'll think about it, Charlie," she says moving to rise again.

"Wait a minute. Please sit down. I have a job for you. It's temporary, and it's not modeling, but if you want it, it's yours."

"Oh? What?"

"While we were talking, I got in touch with Giselle, Rick and Todd, and they agreed that we desperately need a receptionist to handle the pings and the visitors. You can really help us out if you could fill that position for a while. Todd has handled four pings in just the length of time we've been talking. And this is a slow day. We can't get anything done for dealing with that. What do you say, can you help us out until we can find someone permanent?"

Kate smiles, the first real smile she has shown since she arrived. "I might be able to do that. Are you sure you can afford me?"

Charlie grins, a little of the old Kate beginning to peek out.

***

Mac sits comfortably in his favorite chair, music playing softly in the background, discussing with Dana how they're going to present their business plan to potential investors. Outfitting of the Dallas lab is underway with state-of-the-art robotic systems on order, systems that Dana can control from either her redundant site in the Dallas lab, once the computer equipment arrives and is installed, or from her primary site in Eugene. While he understands computers fairly well, he still has a hard time wrapping his mind around how Dana actually works.

"So, I understand there is only the one DANA program, but do you transfer the program to Dallas when you are there, and back to Eugene, or... how does that work... and where's home?"

He and Dana are trying to figure out how to present their lead researcher, Dana Dill, mythical adopted daughter of Professor Everett Dill, to investors when they can't actually meet her. He and Dana have finally decided to play her as brilliant, but reclusive, unwilling to meet people, preferring the anonymity of the net. It's going to make attracting capital more difficult, but then, that's what he can contribute to the endeavor.