Flight to Paradise Ch. 18

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"As Tony tells me, 'Trust me'," Kate says as Bert and Mac enter the house.

"Sit down," Cynthia says to the men. "Breakfast is ready."

"Sausage gravy?" Mac asks with a grin to Kate.

"Of course, but prepared by Kate," Cynthia says.

"Really?" Bert says drawing the word out while nudging Mac with an elbow. "You'd better hang onto this one son, she can make sausage gravy."

Mac blushes as he laughs. "I'm thinking about it."

The family enjoys a hearty breakfast of sausage gravy over biscuits with eggs. Kate finds she has a taste for the simple but tasty fare that the McMillans eat, a nice change from the sometimes-overdone cuisine of Los Angeles. As they eat and laugh, she keeps looking at Mac, trying to imagine the pain he keeps inside, and yet he's there for her every time she needs him, giving her strength, never asking for anything in return. A very good man indeed.

"Come on, Tony," Bert says. "Daylight's a burning."

Kate is torn, wanting to go with Mac and Bert, but feeling like she should stay and help Cynthia. Cynthia sees her hesitation and waves her hand. "Go. I've got this."

She follows the men out to the stables and watches in amazement as Mac, using nothing more than a finger and a thumb while standing at the tongue of a trailer, gestures to his dad in his truck which way to go, the truck backing to a stop where all Mac has to do is give a few spins of a crank to lower the trailer and attach it to the hitch. The hooking up of the trailer takes only minutes and not a word is exchanged between Mac and Bert during the entire process.

"You've done this before," she comments dryly as Mac attaches the trailer.

Mac chuckles. "Yeah, once or twice. Let's roll," he says hopping into the back of the truck, giving Kate the front seat again.

Bert pulls out and turns left. "Isn't town the other way?" she asks, confused.

"Yep, but we're not going to town," Bert says.

They ride along for a few miles, Kate staring out of the windows in amazement at the miles and miles of nothing, having never seen so much open space in her life. "Where is everyone?" she finally asks.

Bert and Mac chuckle. "City girl," Mac says as if that explains everything. "Just wait until tonight. I'm going to take you somewhere and show you something I bet you've never seen."

"What and where?" she asks, intrigued.

"Ah, ah, ah," he says from the back seat. "No hints."

After a few more miles a grain elevator appears, and they turn into the parking lot of squat building beside it that had to be 200 years old. It's only 6:45 and the sign on the door still says Closed, but Mac and Bert jump out of the truck and go in as if they owned the place, Kate following timidly behind. You do something like this in LA and you may find yourself getting shot.

"What's a fella gotta do to get some service around here?" Bert bellows as he enters the building.

Kate looks at Mac in shock, Bert acting so out of character, but Mac is grinning as if he's in on some inside joke.

"Yeah, yeah, keep your pants on," a voice calls from somewhere in the back. "Jesus, McMillan, I swear you're like a—" a man about Bert's age, but shorter and rounder, with silver hair, says as he appears from the back, stopping in mid-sentence as he sees Mac. "Tony McMillan! I've haven't seen you in years! When'd you get back?" the man says as he rushes forward to shake Mac's hand.

"Hello, Mr. Roddy," Mac says, taking the man's hand. "Last night."

"And who is this lovely lady here?" Mr. Roddy asks, looking at Kate.

"Mr. Roddy, allow me to introduce Kate Thompson. Kate, Mr. Roddy," Mac says making the introductions.

"Nice to meet you, Kate, but call me Alex."

"Nice to meet you, Alex," Kate says. "This is an amazing place you have here," she says as she looks around, fascinated by the wood floors, huge bags of feed or seed, unidentifiable tools, and a cage on the floor with rabbits! And another with baby ducks!

"Obviously a lady with class," Alex says with a huge smile. "Thank you. Been in the family a long time."

"How's your dad?" Mac asks.

"Not good, Tony. He's in a nursing home."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Yeah, well, at 112, he's had a good run."

"Yes sir, he has, but I remember when he used to give me a candy bar from out of the counter when I would come up here with dad."

While Mac and Bert conduct their business and talk with Alex Roddy, Kate begins to wander through the store, looking at the bags of feed, enjoying the smell of nature, of growing things. She crouches down and reaches over the short fence that keeps the small rabbits corralled to pets one of them.

"You can hold one if you like," a woman's voice behind her says, causing her to start.

Rising and turning, Kate faces a dumpling of a woman smiling at her, probably Mrs. Roddy if she has to guess. "No, that's okay. They look so soft I just had to feel."

"Oh poo," the woman says, reaching into the cage and picking up the rabbit she was petting and putting it into Kate's hands. "It's what they're here for."

Mac notices Kate talking to Julia Roddy, holding the rabbit to her face, and nudges his dad and nods to Kate, but says nothing. Bert turns and looks, then turns back to Mac and smiles.

"They're for sale," Alex says, seeing Kate with the rabbit.

"Oh no," Mac says waving his hands in front of him as Alex laughs gently.

Kate hears the bell over the door jingle as Bert leaves, Mac still talking to Alex. "Thank you, Mrs. Roddy?" Kate says, lilting her voice up at the end to make it question.

"Call me Julia," the woman says as Kate puts the rabbit back in the cage. "Are you here with Tony?"

"Yes," she says shyly. "We flew in last night to... uh... meet the family."

"Really?" Julia asks with a smile. "Everyone thinks the world of Tony and his family. They're good people. I'm Julia Roddy," Julia says sticking her hand out.

"Kate Thompson," Kate says shaking Julia's hand, a rough hand that's obviously used to work.

"Nice to meet you, Kate. You going to be here long?"

"Just a few days, then we have to fly back to California. Uhhhmmm... do you have any clothes here? I didn't really pack for the weather."

Julia smiles broadly. "For a pretty girl like you, no. We just have a few work clothes over in the corner, but you're welcome to look if you like. You're tall enough that something may fit." Kate follows Julia to a single rack of denim shirts with a few pair of jeans on a shelf. "This is what we have," Julia says before reaching into the rack and pulling out a shirt and holding it up to Kate. "This might fit," she says handing Kate the garment. We don't have a changing room, but if doesn't fit you can bring it back, or you can step into my office there and give it a try if you like."

Kate smiles and takes the shirt into the office and quickly changes. The denim looks coarse and scratchy but is very soft and comfortable. She tucks the shirt in and smoothes it out. Stepping out of the office she grins at Julia. "I'll take it, and another just like it if you have one."

Julia reaches into the rack and pulls out another one. "Anything else?"

"No. Just these two. Thank you, Julia. How much do I owe you?"

"$42.50."

Kate's surprised at the price. That's more than she would pay in LA, but she needs the shirts so... "Okay, I'll take both. If you'll give me your account number, I'll transfer the funds."

Julia smiles kindly. "I'm sorry Kate, we're not set up to do that."

"Oh! Uh..." Kate says, stymied for the moment.

"Put the shirts on dad's account, Mrs. Roddy, and we'll settle up with him later," Mac says as he walks up.

Julia gives Mac a hug before answering. "It's so good to see you, Tony. I'll add the shirts to his bill. It'll be $42.50 for the pair."

"That's fine," Mac says.

"$42.50 for both shirts?" Kate squawks in surprise, now shocked that the shirts are so inexpensive.

"You wanted both, right?" Julia asks in confusion.

"Yes. I'm sorry, I was confused. I thought you meant they were $42.50 each."

"Good heaven no, child! Where have you been buying your clothes?"

"LA," Kate admits sheepishly. "You're sure your dad won't mind?"

Mac makes a spluttering noise as he waves his hand dismissively. "Of course not."

Kate kisses Mac on the cheek. "My knight in shining armor. Always rescuing me."

Julia chuckles as she takes the denim shirt and Cynthia's top and carries them to the counter where she efficiently folds and wraps them in brown paper and tapes it shut. "Anything else? How about a couple of rabbits?" Julia asks as she slides the package to Mac.

"No!" Mac barks out with a laugh as Kate teasingly makes google eyes at him. "Do you know what happens when you get a couple of rabbits?" Mac asks Kate. "Pretty soon you have a hundred rabbits. Thank you, Mrs. Roddy, I think this will do for us today."

"You're welcome. Come back, and don't be such a stranger."

"I will. We'll be around for a few days and we may stop by."

Mac and Julia chat for a moment more before Mac gives Julia a hug and then, steering Kate by the arm, escorts her out through the back of the store. Kate watches as a snarling tractor loads large piles of hay into the trailer.

"That's a lot of hay," Kate says as the tractor, driven by Alex, goes in for another bite at the hay piled in a shelter.

"Horses eat a lot," Mac says watching the tractor work. "Dad and I going to have to unload that when we get home," he says as the tractor dumps another load of hay into the trailer before turning to go get more. "I don't know why he won't have it delivered. He's getting too old to be pitching hay."

Kate says nothing but hears the concern in Mac's voice.

Thirty minutes later the Ford grunts and strains under the load as Bert pulls out of the parking lot and turns for home. Kate had crawled into the backseat while Mac and Bert tied a tarp over the hay, allowing Mac to sit up front with his dad.

"I thought hay would be light and fluffy," Kate says as the truck groans its way up to speed.

Bert and Mac both chuckle. "Just pitch it some time," Mac says with a grin. "What's on the truck, Dad, ten, twelve thousand pounds?"

"Probably at least that on the trailer, plus another ton of oats in the back. So maybe as much as fifteen thousand."

Kate feels her eyes widen. "And you're going to unload all that before lunch?"

"Yep, if I can get that lazy bum of a boyfriend of yours to do some work," Bert says before looking at Mac and laughing. Mac doesn't say anything, but she can tell by the way he moves his head that he's rolling his eyes.

Arriving home Mac bails out of the truck and directs his dad as Bert backs the trailer into the stable. Bert and Mac begin to unload the truck in well-choreographed chaos, Bert slinging a bag over a shoulder before walking away, Mac doing the same, but over both shoulders. Kate tugs on a bag, and while she can slide them over the bed of truck, she quickly realizes that she has no hope of picking one up. After Bert and Mac clear the first row from the back of the truck, Kate begins to shove the bags to the back so they can reach them.

"We've got this," Mac says, seeing what Kate is doing.

"I know, but I want to help."

Mac looks at her dubiously. "Okay, but keep your back straight or you are going to hurt yourself. Just keep doing what you are doing. That's a huge help, not having to hop up in the truck."

Kate is amazed at how fast the truck is unloaded, and then watches for a few minutes as Mac and Bert begin to unload the hay with wicked sharp, and dangerous looking, pitchforks, throwing the hay in easy rhythmic motions into a stall at the end of the stable. Afraid she'll kill or maim someone with a pitchfork, she leaves the men to their work and goes inside with Cynthia.

She returns to the barn about ten with two large glasses of water for Bert and Mac, and is amazed that the hay trailer is nearly empty. Bert is in the stall, moving the hay about while Mac finishes unloading the trailer. Though it's the first week in November, the barn is comfortably warm, warm enough that Mac had shed his shirt, his skin glowing with sweat as he works, his muscles rippling under his skin. She feels her mouth go dry as she watches him, Mac unaware she's there, and takes a sip of water from one of the glasses. She watches in silence for a moment before moving again. "Who wants some water?" she calls as she walks by the trailer, handing the glass she hasn't sipped out of to Bert, the other to Mac.

"Thank you, Kate," Bert gasps, taking the glass. "You're an angel."

Mac says nothing until he has drained half the glass, before holding it up in salute to Kate. Mac is covered in chaff and bits of hay, and looking so damn fuckable she'd take him right here, right now, if Bert weren't there with them.

"Yes, thank you Kate," Mac says leaning on the pitchfork. "I'm parched. When's lunch? I'm starved."

Kate can imagine so, having worked that hard all morning. "About an hour. We're having chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and some more of those heavenly rolls. And that's just for lunch. Tonight, it's steaks on the grille, roasted potatoes, grilled corn on the cob, whatever that is, macaroni and cheese, and something called a dirt cake," Kate says ticking the items off on her fingers. "I was wondering how you can eat like that and not get fat but..." Kate says looking at the pile of hay they moved in just a few hours, "... now I know."

Thirty minutes later Mac and Bert come into the house and head straight for the showers. Kate is practically dancing she wants to join Mac so badly, but she holds her libido in check. There's something about Mac stripped to the waist, sweating, and covered in bits of hay that has gotten her motor running, a vision she hasn't been able to get out of her mind.

***

Kate is helping Cynthia clear away the lunch dishes, Mac and Bert still sitting at the table with their legs stretched out in front of them, when a whirlwind comes shrieking into the room from the garage, launching herself into Mac's arms with an 'Uncle Tony!'

Following at more sedate pace is a boy, a woman that's obviously Cynthia's daughter, and a heavy-set man with dark hair.

"Andi!" Mac shouts giving the girl a hug. "Look how much you've grown! You're practically a grown up now!"

"You must be Kate," the woman says extending her hand. "I'm Sam, Tony's sister, this is Darren, my husband, Tim," Sam says motioning to the boy, "and that bundle of energy over there is Andi. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet all of you," Kate says, shaking Darren's hand, then not knowing what else to do, extending it to Tim as well.

Tim takes her hand with a shy smile, the same smile she's seen many times on Mac's face. "Nice to meet you, Ms. Thompson," Tim says.

Kate smiles at Tim. "It's just Kate. May I call you Tim?"

Tim's smile spreads a little wider. "Yes ma'am." He holds her eyes for just a moment more then turns and walks to Mac as everyone hugs, kisses, and settles in. Kate watches Mac interact with his niece and nephew, a smile coming to her lips. As Mac shakes Tim's hand, then pull him into a hug, Andi comes over and extends her hand. "I'm Andi. Nice to meet you, Ms. Thompson."

Kate giggles shaking the girl's hand. "As I told your brother, it's just Kate. But nice to meet you Andi."

"Grandpa said you were really pretty. He's right."

Kate's face burns as Sam gently corrects her daughter. "Andi, haven't we talked about not saying everything you think?"

"But Mom, that's a compliment," Andi protests.

"Yes, it is, and thank you for saying so. You're very pretty yourself," Kate says causing Andi to turn bright red.

For the next two hours Andi sticks to Kate like glue, talking incessantly. At first Kate is put off, not sure how to behave around children, but she soon figures out that Andi is just a small version of a regular person, and relaxes, enjoying chatting with the girl.

"Momma said I can take piano lessons if I want," Andi says brightly when the subject turns to music. "I want to be like Michelle Yangers, do you know her?" Andi asks.

"She's the piano player for Gibraltar, right?" Kate asks, as the net provides the answer, a group she's never heard of. "Hang on a minute and let me listen," Kate says, playing a clip from their latest release. It is a unique sound, with a rocking classical vibe, and Michelle Yangers can pound the shit out of a piano. Kate likes it.

"You know what, I like it," Kate says to Andi. "You have good taste in music. Are you any good?"

"No," Andi says dejectedly.

"She only been taking lessons for a month or so," Sam supplies.

"Oh, you're just getting started then. Know any songs. Mary Had a Little Lamb? Anything like that?"

"No. Mrs. Lippin says I have to learn the scales first."

"Oh poo..." Kate says. "Cynthia, can you excuse Andi and me for a while? We'd like to use your piano to learn to play Chopsticks and Mary Had a Little Lamb."

"Of course. Sam and I can take care of the rest of getting dinner ready, and Darren is our grill master."

While Kate and Andi plink around on the piano, Tim and Mac wrestle around on the floor, a custom nearly as old as Tim according to Andi. Kate watches Mac and Tim tumble and roll as Andi practices, Tim attacking with some martial art form, Mac always backing up, defending as he goes, until he's pinned.

"Uncle Tony let's him win," Andi whisper to Kate.

"I know," Kate whispers back, delighting in Sam and Darren's children.

Kate starts Andi out on Chopsticks, which Andi has mastered in short order, squealing in delight the first time she plays it all the way through without a mistake, hugging Kate in her enthusiasm. Kate is infected with Andi's energy and they begin to play Chopsticks together, banging away on the piano, the polite applause from the rest of the family surprising them both. Andi leaps off the bench hugging her mother and grandmother in turn.

"Do you play, Kate?" Sam asks.

"A little," Kate says quietly.

"Why don't you play us something? Show Andi what she can do if she continues to practice," Mac says.

Kate looks at Mac, and there's something in his face, a smile that hints that he may know something he shouldn't. "Okay," Kate says slowly. "Any requests?"

"Surprise us," Mac says with a smile.

Kate turns to face the piano and, after calming herself, launches into Flight of the Bumblebee. When she finishes she looks at her audience. Everyone, apart from Mac, looks stunned, Andi's mouth hanging open.

"Ho-ly shit," Darren says quietly.

"Darren!" Sam scolds quietly.

"I'm sorry, but that was... the damndest thing I've ever seen. Or heard."

"Can you teach me that?" Andi asks in awe.

Everyone bursts into laughter. "I think you might need a little more practice before you are ready for that," Kate says gently. "How about Mary Had a Little Lamb?"

Sam pulls Mac aside. "Did you know she can play like that?"

"I had an inkling."

Sam leans in and kisses Mac on the cheek. "I like her."

"I like her too," Mac says, smiling over Sam's shoulder at Kate.

Kate sees Sam kiss Mac on the cheek then Mac's grin as he looks at her. She's not sure why, but that grin makes her feel all warm and squishy inside.

***

Over dinner Kate finds out that Sam and Darren are vets and own one of the vet offices in Hays. Sam works in the office, along with two other vets, on family pets, while Darren is the local large animal vet. "We met in vet school," Sam explains to Kate.

"I got her pregnant," Darren says before changing his voice into a stereotypical villain voice, all slurred and hissing, "then she had to marry me," he says before laughing maniacally. "My plan worked to perfection," he continues in his villain voice.