Flora & Fauna Pt. 09

Story Info
Centaur and human girl fall for eachother.
10.2k words
4.74
4.6k
7

Part 9 of the 16 part series

Updated 02/21/2024
Created 06/13/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Claudius stares down at me, dark brows knit together over his argent eyes as his hand tightens possessively around my wrist.

Black stubble covers the lower half of his face. The beginning of shadows have tinted his under eyes purple. I try to pull in a breath to scream, but my lungs are paralyzed in my chest.

"Come on," he says in a bizarrely calm tone, "We need to talk."

"No," I say, but it comes out as a raspy croak.

"This isn't a game, Flora," he whispers harshly.

I force a breath into my lungs, but his other hand snaps tight over the lower half of my face before I can do anything with it.

"Stop it," he says quickly, "Just let me explain-"

I hold his gaze as I arch forward and sink my teeth into the soft skin of his palm. He barks out in pain and rips his hand away from my mouth, keeping the other around my wrist. I'm trembling so hard that his grip on me is most of what's holding me upright.

"Let go!" I scream and try to wrench my arm out of his grasp.

Heat hits my back for a split second before a hand shoots past my head and wraps around Claudius' throat. His eyes go wider than I've ever seen them, white showing all around the silver. An arm comes forward and wraps around my torso. Looking up at Ares, I see his eyes are focused as he snarls and tightens his grip. Claudius keeps a hold on me but claws at Ares' hand with his free one. He finally lets go and I frantically back up.

"You're already fucking a different one?" he growls at me while his eyes stay on Ares.

"I'm fucking the whole town! Leave me alone!"

His eyes dart between us, then to the central aisle as hooves slam against the floorboards. A dun centaur with a thick beard, all his hair and fur edged with gray, stops short beside Ares. A work belt hangs heavily around the owner's waist as he scans us.

"What's going on back here?" Henry demands in a gravelly tone.

"Some laddish human," Ares answers, "Biting off more than he can chew. As usual. He was just leaving."

Claudius' eyes stare into mine. His expression shifts from domineering fury to something sad. Defeated and hurt. I glare back, daring him to reach for me ever again. Ares releases him with a shove, sending Claudius stumbling backward into the opposite shelf. Churning thoughts are visible in his gaze as his eyes flick between the three of us.

I half-expect him to lunge for me again. To be one of those inexplicable humans who puffs out his chest at Ares. Instead, his eyes slide to the floor and he slowly walks away. Henry follows at his back. I keep my own back pressed to Ares until I hear the heavy door slide open and shut once more.

"Who was that?" Ares asks when I finally step away from him.

"My...," I pause, "He was my fiance."

"Oh, that."

"Yeah."

"He seems like a charmer."

I almost laugh. Ares takes my hand and leads me away. His height forces me to keep my arm raised to let him continue holding my hand as we walk. We exit the shop, and immediately take an unexpected turn down the gravel street.

"We're going the wrong way."

"We're not going to And's."

"Where are we going then?"

Ares ignores my question and whistles at a sprite lounged across a windowsill chewing on a hunk of brown bread. The glow zips down and settles on his shoulder as it fishes writing materials from its satchel. We pause as the sprite spreads the little paper flat on the side of the building. Ares jots a short message and slips it into the satchel with a couple shining coins. He barely finishes reciting Andrius' address before the sprite is off again.

"He came into the store right after you did," Ares explains without pausing, "He must have been following you. It's probably best that he doesn't know where you and And live."

"So, where are we-"

Ares turns so fast I nearly trip on my own feet as he sweeps both of us into the vine-clad building. The smell of caramelizing fruit and molten caramel immediately makes my stomach growl. I try to glance around Ares' body at the interior, but he rushes us past a glass front counter and through another door.

"You can't just barge in whenever you- Ares!" The female voice ends in an annoyed tone and there's the sound of hooves following us.

He finally releases my hand when we stop in the back. Around us is a kitchen. Matching sets of mixing bowls and measuring spoons hang from hooks all along the walls. A massive stove with a fiery glow inside. On one counter sits a massive leather-bound ledger stuffed full of silk ribbons for bookmarks.

"What did I say?" The female voice calls out as she rushes through the swinging door.

When she enters, I'm shocked out of the hunger that all the delicious smells inspired in me. An exact copy of Andrius but for her feminine curves. Her flaxen hair is pulled back in a smooth chignon, her lips painted with a rosy glaze that matches the blush on her cheeks.

"Aurora?" I gasp before Ares has a chance to speak.

The pretty golden centaur's eyebrows jump in surprise, "Ye... yes? I... who are you?"

"You'd know if you came to dinner at And's."

She rolls her eyes and lets out an exasperated sigh. Ares walks past us and I turn in time to see him open a standing ice box and reach inside.

"Those aren't for-"

"If I'm explaining all this," he interrupts and bites into a cannoli, "I deserve a snack."

.

Before the door even swings open, I recognize the pattern of Andrius' steps. Aurora is staring at me, mouth agape at the ending of Ares' explanation of my relationship with their brother. I offer a sheepish smile, but I worry it looks more like an awkward grimace.

Andrius bursts through the door and immediately drops beside me. He pulls me into his arms and I try to ignore the widening of his twin's eyes as I press myself to him. Under the thick wool of his sweater, I can feel his upper heart pounding. I rub a hand gently over the thundering spot.

"It's okay," I say quietly, "I'm okay. Ares took care of it."

"I can't believe he followed you here," Andrius says into my hair, "I never would've sent you out alone if I'd thought he would."

"Yeah," Ares stretches out the word, "I was wondering about that too. There must be other single rich girls in Leaven."

"There are," I reply.

"Then why you?"

"I don't know," I answer honestly, hating the suspicious look that Aurora and Ares are casting down on me.

"What was your relationship with him before?" Ares pries.

"I didn't have a relationship with him!"

"Flora," Andrius begins, pressing my shoulders back until I'm sitting upright enough that we can look at each other, "I won't be upset if there was something between you two. I had a relationship before we met."

"There was no relationship! The most I ever even spoke to Claudius was at Victoria Barclay's debutante ball. He asked me to dance and cornered me to make forced small-talk one time. I told him to stay away from me. Then, months later, my father says 'congratulations, you're marrying Claudius' like I should've expected it!"

The three of them look at each other, then back at me.

"I believe you," Andrius assures me quietly.

"So do I," Aurora agrees as she settles down beside her twin, smoothing her brightly floral apron across her forelegs.

"What's this guy's deal then?" Ares remarks as he reaches back into the ice box.

Aurora rolls her eyes and sets a hand protectively on my shoulder, "Men are crazy-"

"Wow. Standing right here." Ares interrupts as he pulls out another pastry.

"You can have an attitude or you can have a cannoli. Not both!" She snaps back.

Ares makes a gesture of locking his lips shut and flicking away an imaginary key.

"You think Flora being uninterested made him pursue her this vehemently?" Andrius says to his sister.

"Maybe," she shrugs, "What other theories do we have?"

"Are you sure your family doesn't have anything he wants?"

"Certain," I nod, "My father is wealthy but we're barely in the same echelon as Claudius' family. We don't have anything he couldn't buy a hundred times over."

"Hm. Well, if Ares excels at anything it's making sure humans who cause trouble here don't come back."

"Do you think he left for good? I mean, I've never seen him look so freaked out."

In my periphery, I see a smug smile spread across Ares' face.

"Maybe. For now, I'll just be with you any time you have to come into town. Until we're certain."

I grumble sadly under my breath. Of course the moment I start to flesh out a life here, he has to come fuck it up.

.

"You sure you don't want me to walk back with you two?" Ares offers for the tenth time outside the bakery.

"I'll be with her," Andrius assures him, "And you're going to get fired being away this long."

"Pfft," he scoffs, "I do everything there. They fire me, they might as well tear the place down."

Ares waves at us over his shoulder as we part ways. Walking alongside Andrius, I feel the worry in his body. The clamminess of his hand clasped around mine. The fidgeting way his thumb rubs the back of my palm. The way he watches the gravel as we walk and bites at the inside of his cheek.

"You know," I say with an exaggerated sigh, "I'm a little hurt."

"What?" He stops short and looks down at me worriedly.

"All this time we've spent together, and you never once told me your sister owns a bakery."

He laughs and yanks my close, mussing a hand into my hair, "Cat's out of the bag now. Just promise not to leave me for Aurora."

"Okay, okay. I promise," I hold out my pinky for him to take with his own.

.

In the house, I frantically try to keep Andrius from the gloomy mood that possessed him on the way back. I'm a clueless cook, but not as clueless as I let him believe I am for the moment. His expression lifts each time he has a reason to distract himself with helping me knead dough or chop something to the proper size.

A knock sounds from the front door as I'm scrubbing my hands clean. Andrius looks toward the door and then to his hands that are shiny with olive oil as he lays out slices of herbs and vegetables in a pretty garden-esque pattern on the dough.

"It's okay," I laugh as he turns this way and that looking for a washcloth, "I'll get it."

"I bet you it's Ares here to wrap us both in protective padding."

"I'm not taking that bet," I call over my shoulder as I reach the door.

As soon as I open the door, I try to slam it shut. The thunk of the door hitting the boot placed in the way reverberates into my hands. I slam my foot down on the toe of the boot. Pain shoots through my socked foot when it hits.

"Steel-toed, but nice try," Claudius grumbles down at me.

I open my mouth to yell, not even sure yet what words will come out, but he beats me.

"Your father is coming to Prophia," he says matter-of-factly.

"What? Why?"

"Why do you think?" Claudius glances over my shoulder then at my eyes again, "And I guarantee you, I have a much better offer than anything your father is coming with."

I want to look back for Andrius as I hear his hooves quickly approach my back. But my eyes are tied to Claudius' as he speaks. He leans forward and says the next words into my face, the aroma of cloves on his breath.

"Now let me in this house so we can finally talk."

"You," Andrius snarls over my shoulder.

"Settle down, pony show, I don't want to marry her either!"

My eyes go wide in shock.

"Let me in," he repeats through grit teeth.

The frightening hypnosis weakens for a moment and I look over my shoulder at Andrius. He seethes at Claudius and wraps an arm around my waist. I take a step back, reluctantly releasing the door. Andrius backs up, keeping an arm around me and my back seamlessly pressed to him. Claudius walks in, somehow looming and massive even in a home built for centaurs.

"Take your shoes off," I murmur.

"What?"

He looks out to the porch, then looks back at me and shrugs. He tugs the laces loose on his boots and sets them outside beside Andrius' brass caps before shutting the door.

"Sit down, I guess," I mumble

"Sit down where? There are no chairs."

"You think of an affordable chair strong enough to comfortably support a centaur, you're welcome to sell the design to me." Andrius responds.

"Touché," Claudius answers.

Andrius and I sit on one side of the low table. Claudius takes a pillow and tosses it on the opposite side. The cushion compresses more than he seems to expect it to, one of his elbows whacks the table as he sinks in. He makes an annoyed face but doesn't say anything. Instead, he closes his eyes and takes in a deep breath. The door slams back open and the three of us look toward it. Ares stalks into the house, glowering as he slams the door shut behind himself.

"I saw him skulking in this direction. What is it with your kind lacking all self-preservation?"

"We're talking," I say quietly.

"What?" Ares barks.

"Ares," Andrius softly addresses his brother, "This is her decision. Leave him be."

Claudius looks back at me with something almost like gratitude. I glare back.

"Say what you want to say."

His gaze narrows, taking me in anew as he chooses his words.

"My father said you chose me specifically," I say into the silence, "That it wasn't our parents choosing us for each other."

He nods.

"Why?"

"Your father was asking around about suitors for you. For the last year, at least. My parents have been pushing for me to get married for years. They ran out of patience and told me 'name someone or we will.' I named you. Because I thought we would be most advantageous for one another. Of course your father pounced on the pairing, what with the way he's been hemorrhaging money-"

"We're not hemorrhaging money," I interject in a confused tone.

"That whole fiasco with the missing order from Griffin Designs? The trial? Your father losing the case for reimbursement?"

I hate the stupid, blank face I can feel myself making at him.

"Wow," he leans back and raises his eyebrows, "They don't tell you anything in that house, do they?"

"None of this explains why you named her," Andrius adds.

"Do you remember when we talked at Barclay's place?"

I nod.

"I named you, because you were the only one I spoke to who was clearly uninterested in me. I don't want to get married at all. Much less to you. But I'm," he pauses and bites the inside of his cheek as he glances away for a second, "I'm in love with someone-"

"Then marry her!" I snap angrily.

"Him."

My whole body freezes in surprise, "What?"

"I think you heard me."

"But.... I've seen you with women."

"Excuse me?" he exclaims in a stunned tone.

"I've seen you kiss women. At parties and stuff."

He tilts his head at me, "You mean on the cheek? Those are just friends."

"You have friends?"

His tongue presses against his cheek as he glares at me, "Yes, Flora. I have friends. Despite what you apparently think of-"

"If all this is true," Andrius interrupts, "Why didn't you tell her back in Leaven?"

"I tried! We were supposed to have dinner at her father's home. But she disappeared the day before, apparently with you."

I roll my eyes and Claudius seethes.

"I was terrified! I thought you'd thrown yourself off a cliff. Or been abducted. Because of me. I tried to talk to you in public, because I thought then you wouldn't make a scene. I thought I could make you listen. You bolted out of every room I walked into. Then I had your father give you the spare key to my home. I thought if I gave you space. If I let you come to me on your own. Maybe you would feel safer and we could finally talk."

"Why not say all this when she told you that we were together?" Andrius asks.

"What a perfect time that would have been for this conversation. Flora, why don't you tell him the setting in which you decided to reveal that information?"

Blush floods my cheeks and I answer sheepishly, "I told him while he was playing a poker game at a pub. I thought if I embarrassed him, it would make him not want me."

"Huh," some of the bravado seeps out of Claudius' expression, "That's actually not a bad plan."

Claudius takes a deep breath and continues, "I saw you around. At events. I never saw you with anyone. And of all the gossip I heard about who was sneaking out of whose house at dawn, none of the gossip ever included you. I thought maybe you were gay. Or that maybe you didn't want to be with anyone. Then I spoke to you at Barclay's party. Of all the women I spoke to, you were the only one who told me off. And when you returned to Leaven, I heard the gossip about you being found half-naked with a centaur-"

"I was not half-naked," I mumble.

"And I thought we were even more perfect for each other's situations. We could give each other the title of married. Of husband and wife. We could vouch for each other when need be. We could have our actual relationships without having to lie or hurt each other. We wouldn't have to pretend to each other at least."

"So," I lace my fingers with those rested on my lap, "I could still be with Andrius?"

"I want you to be with whoever you want to be with," Claudius answers, the words surprisingly genuine.

"How exactly would that work?" I tighten my grip on Andrius' hand, feeling like simply asking will somehow drag me away from him.

"We make appearances together when absolutely necessary. The wedding, holidays. Between those events, you stay here in Prophia. I can make excuses for where you are. You know I travel for work. I can say you stayed to take longer vacations in those areas. I'll send sprites to you with any information you need to stay up-to-date on and forewarning for dates I'll need you to return by."

I scan his face, bewildered by the earnestness I see there. So unlike the usual glowering machismo. But being away from Andrius, now that I finally have him, splits a fracture across my heart. And my flesh rebels against the idea of going so long without his touch with an icy shudder.

"And if I say no?" I ask quietly.

A flinch flickers across Claudius' features, the same kind of defeated hurt I saw in the shop, "I'm not going to tell your father where you are, Flora. But everyone knows where centaurs on this side of the country live. He will find you. You two mentioned something about marriage-"

"Marriage?!" Ares barks.

I jump, having nearly forgotten he was here.

"It was kind of a heat of the moment thing," Andrius explains.

"Obviously, you know your father better than I do, if he would respect an interspecies marriage contract and leave you be."

I shake my head. He never would.

Claudius nods solemnly, "You will be married off to someone else. As will I. Odds are those people will not be as understanding of our real desires as we can be. And it will be extremely risky to even inquire if they are"

I look down at Andrius' hand twisted with my own under the table, feeling wholly unprepared to decide any of this. Claudius reaches into an inner pocket of his coat. He produces the velvet box of deep blue and places it open on the tabletop. The two platinum rings shine against the dark fabric. One a plain band, the other topped with a faceted diamond that sparkles in the light. Anxiety coils in my stomach as I look at them.

"Alternatively," Claudius says slowly, "We put on our rings. We go back to Leaven with a believable story for why things didn't work out between you and the centaur. You act very forlorn, which I assume won't take much acting. I can do all the talking. We have our wedding. The banquets and the dances surrounding it. All of that would take about a week. Then I put you on a horse and send you back here to Prophia."

"Would we have to..." I trail off uncomfortably.

"God. No. Not having to fuck a woman is half the point of a fake marriage."

"I can't believe I'm even entertaining this but," Andrius grimaces beside me, "What about kids?"