Flowers for All Occasions

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I could hear a collective gasp from everyone, including the BCI investigators.

I continued. "The State Patrol has been kind and gracious to us for our loss and I'm sure you all join me in expressing our deepest sympathies for our Trooper brothers and sisters, as well. At this time, if you all would, please stop what you are doing and stand and join with me in a moment of silence for our fallen brothers."

Everyone did as I asked and stood. Many of them were now quietly crying but trying to remain stoic for the moment. After about a half-minute or so, I said, "Thank you. Let's remember these fine men as we continue our jobs of keeping our citizens safe today. And let's honor them by continuing to look out for one another, as well. God bless you all and stay safe on your patrols today. Make sure everyone goes home at the end of their shift."

*****

The next couple of days were a blur and were spent mostly in preparation for the funerals of Deputy Tristan Embegwe and Trooper Marvin Rockney. Assisting with the funeral prep for a State Patrol member seemed like the least of what we could do considering everything Trooper Rockney did to help stop the threat that day. But out of all the tasks I needed to accomplish, picking up the parents and family of Deputy Embegwe at the airport was the hardest. I tried to anticipate their anger and sadness and prepared for whatever questions and range of emotions they might have.

I drove to Fargo's Hector International Airport. Even though we have a decent-sized airport in Red River Falls, we were currently between providers of our local carrier service. Since it is most decidedly unprofitable for a major carrier to provide service to places like Red River Falls, we have to rely on what is called "essential air service", which means occasional flights involving puddle-jumper aircraft that are heavily subsidized by the federal government. When Northwest Airlines was still in business and based out of Minneapolis, we never had to worry about air service since Northwest Air Link provided four flights a day to and from Red River Falls. Now, it seems like we are changing services at least once a year - if not more. The new service, Northland Com-Air, wasn't scheduled to start operations until November.

I greeted the Embegwes at the main terminal. Tristan's father was a rather tall, balding man of around 60 years old with a gentle smile on his face as he greeted me. His mother seemed to be the one bearing the emotional brunt. Although very gracious to me, I guessed that her tears had not stopped flowing since she was told of Tristan's death. Tristan had three brothers and two sisters ranging in age from 13 years old to 24 years old. All of them, including the oldest ones, were single and the two oldest had followed Tristan's footsteps to university.

Tristan's father, Daniel Embegwe, rode up front with me while his wife and the five children rode in the back. I knew they were probably hungry for some decent food and so we decided to stop at a Perkins Restaurant just off I-29. I had my department credit card with me and I told them all to order whatever they wanted. I could tell, just by watching them that they had never seen a menu in any restaurant with the abundance of food that they now saw before them. It was a stark contrast of the world Tristan had left behind and the one that he had chosen to build a life and a home in.

Despite my initial ignorance Daniel Embegwe, a professor of economics in Uganda, was extremely well-educated and spoke perfect English, as did his entire family. I thought about how much my own two boys, Nick and Jake, griped about having to go to school and actually having to learn something while they were there. And yet, the entire Embegwe family talked at great length about Tristan and his time in school and at university. All of his children talked with great enthusiasm about their various studies and were incredibly educated and intelligent, especially when one considers that most inner-city schools in the U.S. are better equipped than the ones in Uganda, where Tristan and his family are from.

Perkins isn't anyone's definition of haute cuisine. But if there is one thing they do well, it is definitely breakfast. Most everyone, including myself, ordered breakfast and were so delighted in their meals that they nearly forgot why they were even here in the first place. But I was reminded of that when Daniel Embegwe looked at me as he quietly sipped his coffee and said, "I must ask you something, Sheriff."

"Ask me anything you wish. And, please. Call me Patrick."

"Thank you, Patrick. I appreciate your candor," he said, as he took another sip. He was obviously carefully pondering his question. "What I wanted to ask you was, did Tristan's death mean something? Was there a purpose behind it?"

I wiped my mouth with my napkin and carefully considered my response.

"Well, Mister Embegwe," I started.

"Please. Call me Daniel. You extended the courtesy to me and I must return it."

"Thank you, Daniel. You want to know if there was a meaning behind it or a purpose to it."

"Yes, Patrick. I must know...for myself and for my family."

I looked around the table and everyone had stopped eating and was looking at me. Whatever I said in the next few minutes would ultimately determine what they thought of me and what they thought of their son's decision to make a life for himself in America. While I wanted to put the best face on that, for Tristan's sake, I also knew that I needed to be honest with his family.

"Daniel, your son and his fiancée were viciously attacked and murdered. It is difficult for me to sit here and try and attach some sort of meaning to that, let alone a purpose for it. So, no, I cannot say that there was any meaning or purpose behind his death other than to say it was a statement of brutality on the part of the men who took their lives."

I could see a crestfallen look befall Daniel's face as well as those of his wife and family.

"But what I can say for certain is the fact that Tristan died honorably. And while that probably isn't what you want to hear, it is the truth. What Tristan did in the final moments of his life ensured, without a doubt, that his killers and those of his fiancée would face justice. His actions undoubtedly saved lives by ensuring that we were able to corral and entrap those evil men before they could get too far and eliminated the risk of a much larger shooting spree in a populated area. While the meaning and purpose are lacking, Tristan showed his true character as a man of courage, honor and conviction before he died. He died a hero. And I think I speak for all of us when I say that is how he should be remembered."

Daniel Embegwe sat there and began nodding his head. Soon, tears were streaming down his face but a smile emerged and his face lit up with a mix of joy and sadness. The rest of his family were all crying but smiling, too.

"Yes, Patrick! That is my son! That is how he shall be remembered!"

Something had happened just then that changed the dynamic completely. They finished their meals with great relish and the mood for the remainder of the trip to Red River Falls, while not exactly joyous, was one of reserved contentment and fond remembrance.

I dropped the family off at St Paul's Lutheran Church, where Tristan was a member. One of the more well-to-do members of the church, a local convenience store franchisee, had paid the way for the Embegwes' trip to America and was going to host the family during their stay through the funeral.

School had just started and I met Nick, Jake and Bridget as they were getting off the bus. We all walked into the house and the kids were buzzing about their day and all the latest gossip in the school hallway.

"Hey, Dad," Nick called. "Wanna play some 'Call of Duty' with me and Jake?"

"Uh, not right now, boys. I've got a lot of work to do."

"Please, Dad? Just for a little while?"

"No! I told you! I've got stuff to do! Just go play with your brother," I scolded him. He just stood there as I headed upstairs disappeared into my room.

*****

The next few days were a flurry of activity as we planned and coordinated Tristan's funeral. St Paul's Lutheran Church was the largest Lutheran church in Red River Falls with well over 2,000 members. St Paul's is where a private funeral service would be held for Tristan. It was the second largest church overall behind St Matthew's Catholic Church, which was where Trooper Marvin Rockney's private funeral would be held the same day as Tristan's.

But due to the expected arrival of so many law enforcement officers to attend, it was decided that a combined public funeral service would be held for both fallen officers at the spacious Red River Falls High School gymnasium. Overflow seating would be easily provided in the high school performing arts auditorium as well as the Red River Falls Middle School gymnasium. Nearly 5,000 people would be able to be seated and closed circuit viewing would be available for those in the overflow seating.

Well over a thousand law enforcement officers from all over the Plains and Midwest began making their way into Red River Falls. The Minneapolis and St Paul police departments sent a combined bag pipe and drum corps and several other agencies sent their honor guards. As a sign of solidarity, the Red River Falls PD, Mason County Sheriff's Office and the State Patrol would provide the firing squad for the combined funeral.

The day of the funerals arrived. Regrettably, I could not attend both services at their respective churches. But I was asked by Daniel Embegwe to give the eulogy for Tristan during the public service.

All of our department's vehicles fell into line with the cortege that included both hearses transporting the bodies of Deputy Embegwe and Trooper Rockney to the school. Brian Kelly drove my Expedition, along with his pregnant and very pretty wife Reba, who rode up front. Shannon and I sat in the back and held hands as we rode to the school. Starting two blocks from the school, the roadway was lined shoulder-to-shoulder with law enforcement officers who saluted in unison as the cortege approached.

Once we arrived at the school, two separate teams of casket bearers retrieved the coffins and brought them into the gymnasium along with a color guard. They all worked with such polished precision that it would have made the most diehard military Veteran proud.

Both caskets lay in state for one hour while the public was seated in the auditorium. Both caskets were guarded by a multi-departmental Honor Guard who kept their solemn watch without wavering. The Red River Falls Fire Department had their huge aerial ladder extended all 100 feet with an enormous American flag hanging from it and blowing majestically in the light wind. Every last man and woman from the fire department was also present and at sharp attention as the procession took place.

Surrounding both caskets was nothing short of a multi-colored sea of flowers. Every flower shop in town had to have been sold out of every variety of flower. Both funeral homes were also inundated with so many flowers that they actually had to turn arrangements away and a good number of them ended up at the Sheriff's Office. When we became too overloaded with flowers, we started sending some of them to the local nursing homes to help brighten their day.

Finally, the service started and invocations were given by Pastor Hellevik from St Paul's Lutheran Church and by Monsignor Flannagan from Holy Family. The music was powerful and, yet, soothing. A combined brass band and bag pipers played the most incredible and moving version of "Amazing Grace" that you will ever hear in your life and there was not a dry eye or Kleenex in the place by the time they finished.

And then, it was my turn. I left Shannon's side and slowly made my way to the podium. The eyes of everyone in the gymnasium were on me but all I could focus on for a few moments were the two flag-draped caskets in front of the dais and wonder how in the hell all of this had come about. But I reminded myself that I had an important job - to provide a eulogy for Tristan and his family that would provide a final summation of his life. I took a sip of water that had been provided at the podium and unfolded the pages of my eulogy. I spoke slowly but methodically.

"Tristan Daniel Embegwe was born in Kamapala, Uganda on October 27, 1985. He was the first born of Professor Daniel Embegwe and his wife Maruna. Tristan was given a lifelong love of learning from his father, a professor of economics. He finished grammar and secondary school, where he excelled as an athlete and gained local notoriety as a very skilled cricket and soccer player. He would continue his athletics as a player in both disciplines at Kampala University, where he studied both economics and international relations, earning high marks in both fields of study.

"When Tristan had finished his third year of university, he was recruited in 2006 by the American company Kellogg, Brown and Root to serve as a security specialist for U.S. forces serving in the Middle East. Tristan demonstrated himself to be a model employee and volunteered to serve with American forces in increasingly dangerous assignments and with more responsibility. Tristan would serve a total of two years with KBR and was ultimately rewarded with a student visa to travel to the United States.

"After coming to America, Tristan was awarded a scholarship to continue his studies at St Olaf College, in Northfield, Minnesota. Tristan would ultimately receive a degree in Liberal Arts and Sciences with honors in 2010. It was during this time that Tristan developed an intense interest in law enforcement and began to pursue that interest. He took additional courses from the University of Minnesota and obtained an additional degree in Criminal Justice in 2012.

"At that same time, Tristan was granted permanent resident alien status. And so he applied for and was accepted to the Minneapolis Police Academy and graduated in late 2012. He completed 5 months of field training and was subsequently hired as a Patrol Officer with the Cottage Grove, Minnesota Police Department in 2013.

"In 2014, Tristan took and successfully completed the law enforcement reciprocity examinations for both North and South Dakota. It was with great joy that I was able to extend the offer of employment to Tristan as the first deputy I would hire after becoming Sheriff of Mason County.

"Tristan demonstrated himself to be level-headed, extremely professional and very calm and collected at all times. He possessed what I called a million-dollar smile and could often defuse intense situations simply with a smile and his soothing demeanor. He had a gift for instilling calm and reason into people who had neither at that particular moment. It was often joked around our department that Tristan could write someone a speeding ticket with the maximum fine and conduct himself in such a way during the entire event that the offending driver would feel compelled to genuinely thank Tristan for the experience," I related to light laughter from the audience.

"Most of all, Tristan quickly demonstrated himself to be someone we could all count on. He accepted every assignment with gusto. And he reminded us all of how great it was to be an American as he relished every moment he got to spend here, especially the joy he felt when he purchased his first home. He became immersed in numerous fraternal and service clubs, as well as his church, St. Paul's. And I'll never forget the joy on his face and the joy we shared with him at the State Capitol the day Tristan officially became a United States citizen.

"But of all the things Tristan loved in life, nothing would exceed the love he felt for a woman named Miriam. Tristan met her shortly after moving to Red River Falls. Almost immediately, forces came into play that would try diligently to keep them apart. But the heart wants what it wants. And Tristan's heart and Miriam's hearts yearned for each other and they soon became engaged to be married. And although the forces of evil would ultimately take their lives they could not take away the love they had for each other, a love that will now live on for eternity in Heaven.

"Godspeed, Deputy Tristan Daniel Embegwe. We will miss you."

I returned to my seat next to Shannon and she took my hand in hers and gave me a quick kiss. Mitch Monahan had been sitting in the third row behind the families and I could tell from the look on his face that he didn't approve of my mentioning the relationship between Tristan and Miriam. He had warned me ahead of time not to play it up in my eulogy but I felt it would be a disservice to not mention it.

As the service ended, we followed the procession from the building as the two caskets were again loaded in their respective hearses. The cortege following Tristan's hearse would be short and made up only of Mason County Sheriff's personnel and vehicles as we escorted Tristan's body to Hector International Airport for his return home to be buried in Uganda. Numerous deputies from surrounding counties volunteered to patrol Mason County while the funerals were in progress.

The remainder of the nearly 1,000 law enforcement officers on hand for the funeral formed a motorcade to the cemetery for Trooper Rockney's interment. Nearly 500 members of the Patriot Guard preceded the cortege and lined the entrance and roadway with each of them holding an American flag. To say that the entire day was moving was a gross understatement. The outpouring of support from the public was massive and incredible.

Once at the airport, Tristan's casket was removed with solemn dignity by the casket bearer honor guard. I and all of my deputies stood at attention and slowly rendered salutes as the casket was carefully loaded onto a lift and secured in the cargo hold of the belly of the aircraft. My immediate thought was how perverse it seemed to place him there, along with luggage and other inanimate objects. For a moment, I started to lose my composure as I was overwhelmed with the thoughts of Tristan being all alone in there. As I did so, nearly everyone else standing with me did the same. Soon, Tristan's casket was out of sight in the belly of the metal bird and we all slowly lowered our salutes. And that moment was the last I would ever see of Tristan Daniel Embegwe.

*****

The ride back to Red River Falls was quiet. Neither Brian nor his wife Reba said much, nor did Shannon and I. All we did was just ride in quiet and hold hands, immersed in our thoughts. For Brian and me, our thoughts were constantly replaying the events of the day that had led to this. For Reba and Shannon, their thoughts were undoubtedly obsessed with the horror of how close they came to being widows.

We returned to the Sheriff's office where Shannon and I retrieved our vehicles. We had driven separate so she could be home when Bridget got out of school. Both Nick and Jake were going to Clarissa's house for a while after school and I would pick them up after supper. I wasn't looking forward to that in the least bit, especially as I could sense some kind of growing panic from my ex-wife the closer Shannon and I got to the wedding. I wasn't sure if Clarissa held out some kind of hope that we wouldn't go through with it or if she just wanted things to torpedo because she was a malevolent bitch. Probably a bit of both, I figured.

Shannon and I hugged for a long time and shared more than a few tender kisses. She still wasn't ready to let me out of her sight but I needed to at least make an appearance at the Knights of Columbus Hall where a funeral lunch was being held for Trooper Rockney's family. I had to show my support for them and all of the State Patrol, given the amount of support they gave to my department.

1...34567...15