Flowers in the Park Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alex decided that while she would love to have taken Wes on a tour of her hometown, it was more important to stay and be with her family, and Wes agreed. They continued sharing memories and telling stories well into the evening. Eventually some of the food was brought back out and sandwiches were made, but it didn't interrupt their sharing time together.

Soon it became late enough that all decided to go to bed. Alex took Wes by the hand and led him upstairs to her old bedroom. It was pretty much the same as it had been when Alex was in junior high and high school, complete with stuffed animals and posters of some of her favorite bands.

"Don't look at the posters," she told Wes. "My taste in music has changed since I got older. I just haven't taken the time to pull those down yet."

Wes strolled around the room, looking at the various posters, and then replied, "That's too bad, because I think I still have clothes that would have worked for dancing to their music." He looked over at Alex, who smiled and stuck out her tongue at him.

He slowly moved his way back to Alex and opened his arms. She reached for him, and they held each other. Alex began to softly cry against Wes' shoulder. They stood there with each other for a few minutes before she looked up at him.

"Thank you for staying with my mom while we were hugging dad. I'm sure she appreciated it and I felt bad that we had abandoned her when we went to be with dad, but you made me feel better when I saw that you had gone to her and hugged her."

"I know this will be difficult on all of you, but she knew that all three of you needed to be with him as soon as you found out. They've had their time together to deal with this news and they'll have more time. But you did the right thing. Your dad needed you and you responded."

She let out a big sigh. "I'm going to need you to be strong for me through this. But I know you'll be there for me, because you've already brought me out of one very dark period in my life, and I know you'll help me through this as well."

They kissed and got ready for bed. Once under the covers, Alex turned on her side so Wes could spoon up against her. Whispering to her, "I love you," they fell into a deep sleep.

******

They were up early the next morning. Church started at 10:30 a.m., and they wanted to have breakfast prepared and eaten well before then. Since his family now knew of his prognosis, Doug was going to share the news with the congregation. Being long-time members of their church, they knew that people would be loving and supportive as he prepared for the last stages of his life.

The family took two cars and entered the church together. Wes looked around at the building that was nearly a century old but had been well taken care of. It was a long A-frame sanctuary with a center aisle between two sections of pews. Wes could easily see what a wedding would look like in there, and as the service began, he had wedding thoughts on his mind.

Following the service, many of the church members came over to offer their support to Doug and Judy and their family. They also wanted to be introduced to the nice young man that Alex had brought with her to the service. It was a bit overwhelming for Wes, but at the same time he noticed the smile on the face of his fiancé, and he knew this was a big day for her, in spite of the bad news they had received yesterday.

They stood in line to greet the pastor as they prepared to leave. Rev. Chet McClelland had been the pastor of their church for 15 years, coming when Alex was just eleven. He had been the one to shepherd all of the Long children through their confirmation and their youth activities. When he saw Alex in line, he smiled and greeted her with a hug.

"Alex, it's so good to see you again. I'm so sorry to hear the news about your father. We will have him and your entire family in our prayers, of course. And I see you have a nice young man with you!"

Alex smiled. "Pastor Chet, this is my fiancé, Wes Watson. We'd like to come and visit with you this afternoon about our wedding, which we want to hold here and have you officiate."

"Splendid! I am available all afternoon. Shall we meet here at the church at about 1:30? That should give you time to eat without rushing."

Alex looked at Wes, who nodded his head. "That sounds like a great time. We shall see you then!"

Pastor Chet reached his hand out to Wes. "Nice to meet you, young man. You have picked a wonderful woman to be your wife!"

Wes smiled. "I know, Pastor Chet, and I can't believe how blessed I am!"

They went home and had a nice quiet lunch with the rest of the family. When they were finished, Doug went to his bedroom to take a nap, after surviving a tough morning sharing his news with their church. It was a little after 1 o'clock when Alex and Wes headed back to town. Since they had time, she gave him a quick tour, showing him the high school and especially the football field. She started to tear up as she explained to Wes that she just realized her dad would likely not get to see Aaron play football for his senior season.

Pastor Chet was waiting for them outside the church office door. They walked through the sanctuary again, and Alex explained what her visions were for her wedding, including where the wedding party would be standing during the ceremony. They toured the large activity center which was a glorified gym with a kitchen attached. That would be where the dinner and dance following the wedding would be held. Wes was impressed with the size of the facility. His own church back home had nothing like this.

They moved to Pastor Chet's office. He got the church calendar out and looked to Alex and Wes and said, "Have you two decided when you would like to be married?"

Alex nodded. "We are looking at a late May wedding. Do you have...."

Wes interrupted her. "Valentine's Day. We have to be married on Valentine's Day!"

12