Fly Me to the Moon Pt. 04

Story Info
And Let Me Play Among the Stars.
8.9k words
4.64
4k
3

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 10/29/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Our two weeks finally came to an end and we flew back to Vegas and got a ride to Nellis and then a helicopter flight to Groom Lake. Nothing had changed while we were gone. The delivery of the first new ship from Malibu was still over a year away and I planned on visiting to see how it was coming.

"Do you want some ice tea?" I asked, pouring out a glass and holding it toward Max.

"Thank you," he said, taking the glass and draining it all at once. "I was thirsty... how did you know?"

"Just guessed, I think." I laughed. He had dripped on his shirt and looked like he had just left the pool.

Mary and I took 'California' to Malibu. It was easier and cheaper to take a direct flight than to fly to Magu and then take a helicopter to the facilities near the beach.

We cleared our approach with LAX, letting them know we were coming and would not interfere with their commercial traffic. We came in from the sea about fifty meters above the waves and landed quietly at the Corporation's helicopter pad. We were waved into the new Hangar that had been built to house the two ships that had been assigned to Alessa and powered down. There were several armed Marines taking up positions nearby, security having been increased since the arrival of the spacecraft.

A few minutes later, the ship having cooled down enough, we left and I saluted the welcoming committee.

"Welcome back to Malibu," said Colonel Paras, returning my salute. "We have so much to show you and ask you."

"Glad to be here. A lot cooler than Groom Lake, that's for sure!"

We went into the cafeteria and had a late breakfast: steak, eggs and hash browns. Our conversation bordered on the mundane, just the usual of friends catching up but I was anxious to find out what they had discovered in building the new ship.

We moved to a secure conference room on the third floor and were treated to a presentation similar to the one that had been given in the Pentagon. The new ship was twice as long as the 'State' ships with dorsal doors similar to that used on the shuttles to ease the placing of satellites into orbit. The greatest discovery was what made the propulsion work and that had been built and tested. There were no offensive weapons built in since the new ships were to replace the shuttles' mission of exploration.

"Our technology regarding the solar panels is not as good as the original but we're working on it and expect it in a couple of years if not sooner. There's a company in Riverside that is cutting edge and we're working with them. We expect great results. Let's show you the new ship."

We went back down to the new Hangar and saw the new ship for the first time. It was similar to the original ships. "It'll make it easier and safer for us than working with Russia."

I sat in the flight deck of the new craft. Gone were the hologram displays that were in the 'State' ships, replaced with flatscreens and everything matched that of the 'states' ships.

"This is really good," I said, familiarizing myself with the flight controls and displays. There were several improvements, I thought, including a microwave oven and a refrigerator. The flight deck was larger with room for ten astronauts. I had no reservations about its abilities once it was completed.

"You've made arrangements for a simulator?" I asked, giving Mary the pilot's seat.

"We've made the controls as similar to the original ships as possible and it should be easy to transition over," answered Maria. "The holdup is with the power plant. The original technology is a little difficult to copy but we're getting there... should have it done by Christmas."

"That's good... I'm looking forward to it. Do you have the measurements for the satellite hold? We need to get that information out as soon as possible."

"We want to wait on that, and do some test flights first to really understand what the limitations are... you know, what the weight limitations are. Wouldn't do to have some satellite too heavy to lift and then where are you?"

"Good idea," I responded, realizing how smart that was.

"I'll be looking forward to its maiden flight." I touched the side of the flight deck, wanting to autograph it but realized that it wasn't my ship, I had my own ship to take care of.

Mary reached out and touched here and there. I could see that she wanted to liftoff right then.

Maria continued speaking. "We're going to use the heat tiles from the original design of the space shuttle for extra protection since we've been unable to duplicate the original ship's coating. We can slow the ship down in orbit so the fiery re-entry will be a thing of the past, I hope, but we're preparing for every eventuality."

Mary was listening but I could tell most of her attention was on the new ship. She turned to face us. "What are you going to name her?"

"We're thinking of state capitols... this first one will be 'Sacramento' unless there's some fuss but we've got that covered, going to release the information before anyone can do anything about it." Maria laughed, knowing how politics worked but then said, "If they don't like it, they won't get it. It hasn't cost that much to build it, the hard part's been done and satellite placement would quickly pay it off. Look at Space-X in Hawthorne."

*****************

We cleared with LAX and headed west out over the Pacific and then turned right and back east toward Groom Lake, satisfied with the progress being made on the new ship.

I let Mary fly the ship, feeling tired for some reason. Maybe my age was catching up with me. We had done quite a bit but I missed my time with Max and thought of "Hello, Stranger" by Barbara Lewis. I wondered where the warrior in me had gone.

We stayed north of the commercial air lanes and headed to Area 51, getting clearance once we crossed the California-Nevada line, our silver-white ship reflecting the setting desert sun. We landed and took the ship into the Hangar, leaving space for the three ships that were missing and out on some mission. I must be missing it, I was in charge of missions and who flew them.

I had to wait for the ship to cool enough that I could leave but then I hurried to mission control to learn where the missing ships had gone.

"Who's out?" I asked as soon as I walked into the room. Max was sitting at my desk, looking at the computer monitor and then looked up at me.

"We had a little problem while you were gone."

I knew by now that what was a danger to everyone else was considered a 'little' problem to Max.

"What happened?" I asked nervously.

"There's an asteroid heading this way and we have to destroy it before it hits Paris." He called up on the computer screen a diagram showing the current location of the rock as it came closer and closer.

It currently was just past the moon and I waited for Max to say something.

"We're going to hit it with everything the three ships have, that should be enough, considering what happened in the Middle East."

I sat down, watching the screen, realizing that we needed a larger control room similar to what was in Houston, or maybe take over Houston's facilities. I don't know, I thought. The infrastructure was already in place there and would probably be in charge of satellite placement as soon as the new shuttles came on line.

The radio came alive... "We are ready. All systems nominal."

Max answered, "Go for it."

The three ships commenced firing at the asteroid and it quickly disappeared from the radar screen, much to our relief. All that seemed to remain was dust that Linda told us about.

Several hours later the ships returned to base. After a few nights the midnight sky lit up with a quick meteor shower.

"There's something else I haven't said," stated Max. "We've been ordered to spread the ships around so that they're not all in one place in case there's another attack."

"Spread them around?" In my mind I sounded like a kid whose candy was taken away.

"Yes... I've already made arrangements for five to head to Kennedy, five to Pearl... I don't know about the rest, though."

I didn't like the idea of breaking up the squadron, I believed in strength in numbers but what was I to do? Max must have noticed the look on my face but he didn't say anything.

The president that evening announced what we had done and in a split-screen the president of France expressed his nation's gratitude for saving their capital. A few days later he invited the six astronauts to visit and receive a medal as thanks.

Linda was so happy, she had always wanted to visit France and here was her chance, all expenses paid. I told her to make sure she ate the bread!

The deployment of the ships was by order of statehood, starting with Hickam AFB in Hawaii instead of Pearl, followed by Houston, then Kennedy. That took care of fifteen of the ships, the rest staying in Groom Lake for the time being until arrangements could be made for their disbursement. I didn't know what that would do with Max and me unless he pulled some strings that would keep me in Nevada.

*****

A month later, five ships went to Britain, Holy Loch in Scotland to be precise, to share facilities with what had been our submarine base there. The security there was already top-notch and needed very little improvement as a temporary Hangar went up in no time. Prince William was there to welcome the craft as they came in to much fanfare for British television. It was decided to rotate the spacecraft from location to location, giving everyone a chance to see the sights.

The remaining ships were to stay at Groom Lake for the time being although a week later five more went to Vandenberg AFB on the California coast just north of Santa Barbara. It had already been set up during the early days of shuttle missions although no flights had ever occurred there.

I missed my time with Max and made that evening a special one for the two of us.

"Max," I said as he walked into our room, "I love you very much and have missed you even more."

He held me in his arms and twirled me around as if we were dancing. "I love how your eyes close whenever you kiss me," he whispered. "I love how you love me."

"You got that from a song," I answered, laughing.

"Doesn't mean it's not true," he said back. He kissed me lightly on the lips and held me tighter, my head on his shoulder. "We haven't had much time for romance, have we?"

"No, we haven't. Between flying and paperwork and inspections and..."

"Well," he said, "at least you're getting to see the world. All I've seen is Washington..."

"Don't forget the moon." I laughed. How could he forget going to the moon?

"Ah, yes, the moon. Can't tell anyone about it, though, at least not yet. I'd like to take Michael Collins there, seems only fair, you know, taking him, you know."

"That would be nice. Maybe we could do it on the hush-hush... not tell anyone, you know. I know you, when do you want to do it?"

Max laughed, his face reddening. "How could you tell?"

"Just know, that's all. Make the call and set it up. I'll wait."

I waited and waited. It took longer than I thought since Collins at first didn't believe what he was hearing on the phone but finally agreed to what Max was telling him. And like that, we were going back to the moon, even if it was a secret. The only way it worked was because the ships were stealthy and no radar was able to pick them up.

We were going to take two ships for safety's sake and the following week we fitted Collins out for a space suit, checked it, and then we were off. We brought along a flag for him to plant on the moon and six hours later had found a spot about a klick from the original landing.

Max and John helped Collins out of the ship and onto the surface where he was able to leave his own footprints in the dust. It only took fifty years for him to reach the moon but here he was, better late than never. Max pulled out a zip-lock bag and scooped up some moon dust into it for Collins to take back with him. The rest of the time was spent taking pictures so that he'd have something for his scrapbook. And then, it was time to head home back to the big blue marble in the sky.

Our two ships left the slight gravity of the moon and we flew back to Area 51, arriving there late in the evening. The old astronaut shakily left Max's ship, clutching his bag of dust, more precious to him than gold. Technicians rushed up to help him with his suit and I knew that this was his last, greatest adventure.

*****

I woke up in the hospital, having been out of it for two days. The nurse standing near the bed left the room to get the doctor. Max was sitting nearby, holding my hand.

"Colonel," the doctor started, "you had an ectopic pregnancy. I'm sorry but we had to remove the Fallopian tubes. You were hurt more than thought when the IED exploded."

Hearing the news, I cried. My hopes to become a mother were gone.

Mary came in and hugged me. Then I remembered... we were flying to Scotland for a routine inspection and I passed out. Evidently she had broken speed records getting me to the Holy Loch base hospital, shattering windows along our path over the countryside. I found out later that hundreds of people had submitted forms for new windows as the sonic boom shook the northern regions.

"Oh, Max, I'm so sorry..." That was all I could say, crying for the loss of unborn children I would never know.

He leaned over and kissed me. "Don't worry... we'll get through this together; it'll be all right."

I closed my eyes for what I thought were a few minutes but turned out to be several hours. When I woke up again, the room was dark and I was alone with Max who was sleeping in the nearby chair. Whatever drugs they had given me were still making me groggy.

I tried to wake up and pushed the button for the nurse.

"Oh, good, you're awake," said the nurse assigned to me. Evidently I was a minor celebrity in the hospital. It wasn't every day that they got astronauts as patients. I had Mary to thank for that, since I had been bleeding internally and well on the way to that final sleep.

"...need to be awake..." I barely said, my back sore for some reason.

"Let's watch some telly... that should help you wake up." She put on the television with the sound down and found the news channel and then took my blood pressure reading from the monitor next to the bed.

"You're the lead item on the news, Colonel, especially how you came to the hospital. It should come up again soon enough." She adjusted the blanket and helped me fluff the pillow.

A few minutes later the story repeated... "A medical emergency caused one of the American spacecraft stationed at Holy Loch to boom across northern Scotland, shattering windows along its path. One of the astronauts, a Colonel Origlieri, a decorated war veteran, was rushed to hospital for an undisclosed reason. A spokesperson for the base said that America will pay to replace any damage incurred by the arrival of the craft."

After that, Mary came into the room. "You're awake," she said. "I'm so glad, I was really worried."

"Mary," I said quietly, trying to smile. "You broke a lot of windows, I hear."

"I'd do it again. You're going to be OK, I just know it. I think we set a new speed record for Scotland." She laughed. "Do you want me to go? You must be tired... it was a lot more complicated than anyone thought."

"No," I said, "please stay." I put up my arm to reach for her but quickly dropped it. Something was wrong, I just knew it. I shouldn't have been so tired.

"Get... doctor," I barely said.

Mary ran out of the room, calling for help. Just then the bedside monitor began to scream for attention and the doctor came rushing in, took one look at the screen and called for assistance to take me back to the operating room.

*****

A week later, I was discharged, the emergency surgery, well, two surgeries, had finally stopped the bleeding and I was on my way to the base to inspect the ships that had been waiting for me all this time.

*****

I was depressed for the longest time, realizing that any chance of having a baby on my own was lost forever. Max was very supportive but I was lost in my own grief. I didn't know what to do.

Mary flew me back home to Area 51 and hovered around; I could tell she wanted to say something but didn't know what to tell me. I was doing a poor job of being a Marine... I should have been able to address the issue and move on.

"Sophia..." Max began, sitting next to me on the couch and taking my hand. "We could adopt," he said.

Tears flowed down my cheeks. I hadn't thought about adoption and didn't know if it was even possible, what with my duties and Max's. There really wasn't time for a child, I realized. I had made my choice long ago, I just didn't know it at the time.

*****

"Colonel Maria Paras' office... how may I direct your call?" said the lieutenant answering my phone call.

"This is Colonel Sophia Origlieri. I need to speak with Colonel Paras as soon as possible." Bad news always comes quickly.

"One moment, please..."

I waited about half a minute and then Maria was on the line.

"Colonel Paras..." she said, surprised that I had called after we had seen each other only a few days earlier.

"Maria, this is Sophia. I'm afraid I have some bad news. The funding for the new 'capital' ships has been canceled. The money has gone toward building the wall on the border. You'll get an official letter in a few days."

There was silence. I could feel for her, she had put a lot of effort into building the new ship.

"Well," she finally said, "it looks like we've bought ourselves a space ship."

I could hear her shift in her chair, the squeaking somehow making the only comment.

"I'm so sorry," I continued, "there's not much we can do at this time."

"I guess we'll give Space-X a run for their money and get into the satellite business. Is there anything else?"

"No," I said, "I'm sorry. Let me know your time table, OK?"

"All right... thanks for calling." She hung up and I was left looking at the phone, now giving me a lonely dial tone.

*****

I really didn't know what to do now that the medical reports had all been sent to me. Getting hurt in the Middle East had been worse than I had ever imagined and the hope of being a natural mother was over. I know that Max was clearly disappointed and I felt for him but didn't know what to do about it. All I could do was tell him I loved him and that we'd get through it somehow.

It wasn't too much later when he asked me what I wanted to do about continuing my inspection tours of the new bases around the world. I suggested asking the Australians if we could base some ships there, knowing the Prime Minister had been very friendly following our courtesy ride with him.

"That's a great idea," Max said. "I'll have to check it with the Joint Chiefs, of course, but that would do a lot.

"The trick is to make it seem like it's their idea. We could use an Australian weekend or two." He laughed, for the first time in days finding something funny.

"Well, I'll leave that to you, General, sir." I saluted and then gave him a kiss behind closed doors. He turned and left my office, whistling, something he hadn't done since before I was in the hospital.

I called Linda and asked how she was doing, not having seen her in a while and missing her companionship. During our time together we had grown close and I didn't want our friendship to disappear as is want to do with many military relationships.

"I'm so sorry to hear what happened," she started to say.

"Thank you," I replied. "How are you doing? How's Europe?"

"It's fine. I'm sorry I didn't have the opportunity to see you in the hospital but I was at the ISS bringing two new astronauts there."

"That's OK, I expected to be there a bit longer but not in the hospital. All in all, it was a bad trip."