Foreigners in Belgrade

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Still nuzzling her breasts, he fumbled the fly of her jeans open and began working his fingers down into her panties. And it was really only then that Annie owned up to herself about where this train was headed. Heaven knows she wanted him to go on, wanted him inside her, wanted... wanted him so terribly much. But she couldn't lie to herself about what was happening--she was too honest for that, too principled. And once she faced the hard truth of what she was about to do, she simply couldn't go through with it.

"No," she panted, pulling back and putting her hand on the man's wrist to halt his advance. "Jeez, you're so hot Miloz, but I... I mean, I'm still married. Even if Tom did cheat, I can't just... i-it wouldn't be right, you know?"

For a split-second, an angry, thwarted expression flickered across Miloz's face, and it was unpleasant to see. But then he got ahold of himself. Gradually a look of understanding, or at least acceptance, coalesced on his features. He drew his hands away. "You're right. I'm just so crazy for you that it makes it hard for me to think straight. But I know you're not in any frame of mind for something like this. Not right now, at least. I'm sorry."

Annie felt deflated. Awkwardly, she tugged her shirt and bra back into place, and refastened her jeans. "No, I'm sorry Miloz. I started it. I'm just so mixed up inside. But I didn't mean to give you the wrong impression."

He stood and offered her a clumsy little bow. "Look, no hard feelings. Never for you Annie. And if you ever want to talk--just talk--I'm here for you. Only now, I... I need a little time to cool off, that's all."

With soft, caring, troubled eyes, she watched him walk away.

Once he was gone, Annie remained on the bench a while longer, catching her breath and trying to make sense of things. It seemed as if she ought to feel even worse than she had before. Here she'd let Tom's misdeeds get under her skin so much, that she'd almost made a huge mistake herself. Moreover, she'd let their marital problems spill over into Miloz's life. He was an innocent party, and she'd led him on, confused him, and then left him hanging. It was lucky he was so forgiving.

But the funny thing was, she didn't feel worse. She felt better. The way Miloz had wanted her; the desire she'd felt for him? It had been glorious! She'd almost forgotten how such things could feel, and it buoyed her up immensely to be reminded.

* * * * *

Annie wandered the streets again for a bit. Her head was still in the clouds, her feelings still far from an even keel, but her mood remained much less bleak than it had been before running into Miloz.

She grabbed a bite at a sidewalk café. Briefly, she considered calling Evelyn for some advice on the Tom situation. But she didn't know what she would say. Evie was a chum, but it would be uncomfortable to raise the matter of infidelity with her. And even if the subject was broached, what wisdom could the other woman have to offer, besides 'I've learned to live with it, you can too.' That wasn't the sort of advice Annie was looking for.

In the end, she decided she just wanted to go home and get herself back in order. She was half-hoping to meet Tom there as well. She wasn't sure if she could ever forgive him, but she knew no progress would be made toward any kind of resolution until the two of them started talking.

She remained very serious about not wanting to confront Tom and Deyana together, however--certainly not in any kind of indelicate situation. So, when she was about a block away, she stopped at a call-box and phoned the flat. There was no answer; and when she arrived the place was indeed deserted. Zora really had been released for the afternoon; while Tom and his mistress must have scampered off to parts unknown.

It was clear that Tom had been there, though. His valise was sitting on the sofa. If it had been there yesterday Annie would have thrown it on the floor and jumped on it. Now, she just moved it to a corner of the room where she wouldn't have to look at it.

In the bathroom, Annie stripped off her clothes. She'd long since learned that it was impossible to luxuriate in a Serbian shower. The pressure was too low, the water too tepid, the hardware too finicky. But today she did her best, taking her time and working hard to scrub away some of her embarrassment and hurt and self-doubt.

As the spray continued playing over her skin, she started to finger herself. It marked a conscious decision on her part. Annie had her fantasies, of course, but normally she tried to avoid masturbating to thoughts of actual flesh-and-blood men in her life. It seemed a little too much like crossing a line. Today, however, she threw that rule out the window. She wanted to immerse herself in the memories while they were still fresh--memories of Miloz's lips on hers, his hands plying her breasts, his breathless, animal desire for her... She wouldn't cheat on Tom physically, but she no longer felt she owed him fidelity of the soul.

Leaning back against the cold tile of the shower, she rolled the elastic swell of her teats and caressed her nipples. She ground her palm against her mons and stroked her labia, gradually coaxing herself open. In her mind's eye, she was back with Miloz under that oak tree, embracing him, loving him, giving herself to him on a park bench amidst the soft light and warm stillness of an end-of-summer afternoon... She began to rub the area around her clitoris, first slowly, tracing calm, unhurried circles, and then more and more rapidly. Eventually her movements peaked in an insistent, side-to-side crescendo. Her back arched and her head tipped backward, pressing her long, dripping tresses against the wall. Every muscle in her body tensed up. And then, with a deep shudder and a soft moan, she came...

* * * * *

Afterwards, she turned off the shower and got out. The session hadn't left her feeling satisfied, exactly, but it had been nice to release some tension.

As she was toweling off, the phone rang. Assuming it was Tom, she ignored it. He needed to know she wasn't just sitting around waiting for him to resurface. But the jangling went on, and at last she relented, thinking it might be important. "Hallo, Parker krai telefona."

"Annie, thank God I caught you!" She rolled her eyes--it was her husband after all.

His voice was more strained than she'd expected. Still, she wasn't in the mood to cut him any slack--even if he had finally started to regret his actions. "Jesus, Tom, the size of your ego! Just where the hell have you been?!"

"I got... detained, I guess you'd say. I'm in jail. Down on Voyislava Street I think.

"You've been there since last night?" She figured she'd see if she could catch him in another lie.

"No, I stayed at a hotel last night. By myself. Then this morning I came home to try and talk it over, but you weren't there. I thought maybe you were with Evelyn, so I was heading over to the Inter-Continental, when a couple of those militia thugs stopped me in the street. They didn't like something about my papers, and just carted me off. Honestly, I'm having a hard time figuring out what the charges are."

"But I thought you were going to meet Miloz this morning? Did he end up in jail with you?" Annie's voice was tart with sarcasm.

"Miloz, he-I don't know what you're talking about. Yeah, we did have a meeting scheduled. He came by before I left for Evelyn's, but I told him I was too busy."

"Ah. And how about your nooner with Deyana? I hope the arrest didn't cut that short. Not that it ever takes you very long to finish, dear."

"Annie, what...? Look, they're going to make me hang up in a minute. Just call Ricardo. You need to get me a lawyer. Once I'm out of here, we can hash it all out, ok? I know I screwed up. I'll make it up to you. But I swear--I didn't cheat on you. Can you just ge-"

The phone clicked, then buzzed, and the call was disconnected. Annie hung up the receiver.

She pondered what to do for a good while. She could simply ignore Tom. It would serve him right to rot in jail (if that's really where he was). Or she could tell Ricardo, or the consulate, and let them deal with it. Yet, maybe she did owe her husband a little more follow-through than that. 'For better or worse'--that's what she'd promised, right?

Furthermore, there was the practical consideration that she didn't want to be stranded in this city all alone. Even if she decided to divorce the man, it would still be better if he handled moving them both back to America and unwinding their financial entanglements.

As she brooded this way, her mind turned to Miloz. He'd always been so obliging. And, more importantly, he had his finger on the pulse of Serbia. Compared to him, Ricardo would be useless. True, it would be deeply awkward to ask a favor of Miloz now, having roused him up and then slammed the brakes just hours ago. But--he genuinely did still seem to want to be friends with her. So really, what did she have to lose by trying?

She went to her lingerie drawer, and rummaged around till she found the scrap of paper where Miloz had written his number. Biting her lip, she dialed it.

"Hallo," he answered in a surly monotone.

"Miloz, this is Annie." She waited to hear how he would respond.

There was a slight pause, and then his voice came again--still heavy, but decidedly friendlier. "Annie, it's good to hear from you. I have to apologize for leaving the park so abruptly. It was just, um-"

"There's no need to apologize. I completely understand. ... Uck--look, I hate to be like this, but the reason I called is that I need your help. Tom's got himself arrested, I'm not sure what for. Do you know any lawyers here? Someone who could help him?"

"Christ, that's awful. You sit tight. I'll call around and find out what's going on. Don't worry--unless he's murdered somebody, we'll have him out of there soon."

She breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you, Miloz. I am incredibly grateful." Somehow, she'd just known he'd take care of things.

* * * * * * * * * *

SEVEN

* * * * * * * * * *

Late in the afternoon, Miloz came by her apartment. "Ok, I've been working my sources. I have some good news and some bad news."

She glanced at him apprehensively, unsure which she wanted first.

"The good news is, they haven't charged him with anything. They're only holding him for investigation. And, it is precisely the thing I warned him about too. The other day, when his wallet was stolen, he didn't get the proper documents at the police station. If I'd been there, none of this would have happened. Fortunately, he is here legally, and they'll figure that out eventually. At worst he'll be slapped with a 2000 dinar fine for faulty paperwork."

"But... there's also bad news?"

"Well, as I feared, the authorities are not only digging into Tom's residency status, but also his activities here in Serbia. And to be honest, he and Ricardo have not included me in all the details of their business dealings. Their arrangement with the minister came a bit too easily, as far as I can see. So, I'm worried that as the police continue their inquiry, they'll turn up evidence of something else--some instance where Tom crossed the line. If they do, he may be in very hot water."

"He'll be... deported?"

"He could be looking at prison time. Even a stiff sentence, perhaps. But we're a long way from that yet. What I'd like to do is to get out ahead of it. Develop an idea of what charges they might come up with, and then inoculate Tom against them as best I can."

"Can you do that?"

"Maybe--if I know what he and Ricardo have been up to. So, here's my question: do you know whether Tom keeps any of his contracts or agreements or other business papers around here? And if so, can I take a look at them?"

Wordlessly, Annie fetched Tom's attaché case and laid it on the kitchen table. "Perfect!" Miloz said. He got right to work, leafing through the papers, reading some, and photographing others with a point-and-shoot camera he took from his pocket. After a half-hour or so, he sheafed the papers and placed them back in the bag.

"Yes, there is definitely work for me to do here," he said, getting up to leave. "I'll be in touch in the morning, ok? I expect by then, Tom will have been released. The unknown factor is what corruption charges may be leveled against him in the coming days. In this country, it's not just a matter of 'the rule of law,' you know? A lot depends on the moods and rivalries of senior officials. Tomorrow, I'll have a better sense where we stand. And, I'll have started putting some defensive measures in place as well. Does that sound good?"

She nodded. Then, taking a tentative step closer, she folded him in an appreciative hug. "That's wonderful, Miloz. I'm so glad I called you. I only wish we'd listened to you from the beginning."

Gingerly, as if unsure of their boundaries, he patted her on the back. "Of course, Annie. I'm happy to do it." Then, extricating himself from her arms, he left with purposeful step.

* * * * *

Just as Miloz had predicted, Tom stumbled in the door about nine o'clock that evening, released (at least for now) without charges being filed.

He looked a wreck--hollow-eyed, unshaven, shell-shocked. He hadn't been mistreated, but even so the stress of interrogation and incarceration, not to mention the marital conflict that preceded it, all lay heavily on him. Clearly he had been hoping to find some compassion and understanding when he arrived home; but Annie had little to give him.

Tom was eager to talk. He admitted he'd done wrong, and begged her forgiveness. Yes--he'd known Deyana was sleazy. Yes--he'd had a general idea of how Miloz and Ricardo (as well as the Serbian official) viewed the woman's 'duties.' Yes--he should have stood up to them, should have vetoed the arrangement. He promised that he knew better now. He'd learned his lesson.

Still, on the most serious charges, Tom stood firm in protesting his innocence. He hadn't propositioned the woman. And although she'd flirted with him, she hadn't made any overt offers either. And nothing, absolutely nothing, had actually gone on between them.

Annie didn't know what to think. The evidence against Tom was mostly circumstantial--even the lipstick, though that did look very incriminating. But there was one key discrepancy that seemed to lie at the heart of the matter. Miloz said that Tom and Deyana had remained together at the apartment that morning. But every time Annie challenged Tom on it (voice simmering with agitation and mistrust), he swore again that he'd stayed there alone--that Deyana had left, and Miloz was lying, or at least mistaken.

Annie's brain buzzed with confusion and doubt. Was it possible she'd misunderstood Miloz? She certainly didn't think so. But if not, then what was she to believe? Who was she to believe? She just didn't know anymore.

And when it came to the other stuff--Miloz's allusions to criminal bribery and corruption--Annie didn't even start in on that. The Deyana situation definitely raised questions; but all the same, she still guessed that Tom, and probably Ricardo, made an effort to conduct business with a certain level of integrity. Serbia, however, was the kind of place that made a mockery of corporate ethics. Bribery and corruption seemed to be standard operating procedure. So, she'd hardly be shocked if her husband had found it necessary to bend the rules a bit. She only hoped that in his ignorance, Tom hadn't crossed the wrong people and landed himself in real danger...

In the end, they talked themselves out, without really having resolved anything. Perhaps that was progress? When he asked, she agreed that Tom could stay and sleep on the couch. The man was obviously exhausted, and drifted off almost instantly. She retired to the bedroom and locked the door, hoping to find some rest for herself as well.

Annie did manage to nod off eventually--but she woke again at daybreak, full of nervous energy. Eager to escape before Tom was up or Zora arrived, she pulled on a halter top and jogging-shorts. Moving gingerly, she retrieved Tom's briefcase from the living room. She must have disturbed him, though, because he raised his head groggily. "Wha...?"

"Go back to sleep, Tom. It's early. I'm going for a run. I'll be back soon."

Out in the hall, she rifled through the case under the dim light of a single bare bulb, until she found what she wanted--Tom's little black book. She tore out Miloz's address, and dumped the rest back inside the entryway. Then she descended to the curb, flagging a taxi and paying for the short ride to Dorcol. She begrudged the time it would have taken to walk.

Miloz's place was in a newish building; and, as he had said, it was on the top floor. If he really did own it, it must have cost a pretty penny. She took the lift up, and banged on his apartment door. She waited, then pounded again. Eventually she heard movement inside, and the door opened.

Miloz presented a very different picture than at their previous meetings. On the one hand, his usual neat appearance had given way to sloppy indolence--shirtless, clad only in a pair of olive-green cargo shorts, ash-bronze hair badly disheveled.

On the other hand, the man's bare torso and legs confronted her with a physicality that his low-key demeanor had previously disguised. Tom had a decently-proportioned body, but Miloz's physique was now revealed as something fundamentally different: solid, muscular, truly powerful. Unbidden, it occurred to her that there was no doubt which would come out on top if they ever faced off in a fistfight. The mental image was scary and inexplicable--but also weirdly exciting...

His face broke into a slow smile when he recognized her, "Annie, I didn't expect to see you so early. I was going to drop by your place later. But come on in."

* * * * *

The flat was large and updated, but the effect was undermined by sparse furnishings and general untidiness. Papers and magazines were scattered indiscriminately, mixed in with a sprinkling of used glasses and unwashed bowls.

"I'm sorry to bother you at home," she said nervously. "I just couldn't wait any longer--I want to know if Tom's in trouble. And, I have a few questions..."

Beneath his usual calm cheeriness, the man's voice held a tinge of sarcasm that was new to her. "Well, that's what Miloz is here for, right? To answer your questions; solve your problems; clean up your messes. Plus, if you're mad at your husband and want to feel in control, you can always toy with Miloz and then pull the rug out from under him. Good fun."

She hadn't expected anything like that. "It's a bad time. I'll go..."

"No, no, stay! I want you to. We have a lot to discuss. But you know, Annie, you shouldn't have wound me up like that in the park. Not if you didn't intend to go through with it."

"You're right. It was just-"

"Manipulative, I think, is the word you're looking for. Now to be fair, I haven't exactly been honest with you and Tom either. However, I'm done with secrets. And if I'm being candid, there's one other thing I should tell you. You really shouldn't let people into your husband's papers."

As Miloz went on talking, a grin began to creep across his face--a self-satisfied grin that made Annie uneasy. "Of course, I already had a pretty good idea what kickbacks your cocksucker of a husband gave the Finance minister. But he always kept me at arms-length, so I couldn't get the hard evidence I needed for leverage. Not until you gave it to me. And then, imagine my surprise when I discovered Tom got you to co-sign the illicit transfers! So you see, my dear, now I have leverage over you too."

She struggled to make sense of what he was saying. "What do you mean, 'leverage?' Everybody does kickbacks here."

1...34567...10