Formless Apocalypse Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Even I could figure out that whatever was in these got out, and did all this. I looked around, but I didn't see or hear anything, so I decided to take my chances and move on further down the hallway. Quickly dashing by the door, I hurried to B-4 looking over my shoulder as I moved as quickly as I was willing. I didn't want my presence to be given away by the sounds of my pilfered boots striking the metal beneath me. I didn't really pause at the next door, it was closed. I only took the time to notice that it was labeled as 'Medical B' and that I heard something repeatedly smacking the other side of the door.

It continued on like that for several more doors. B-5, 6, and 7 were all closed, labeled as 'Security', 'Lounge', and 'Locker Room' respectively. The rooms were getting close together now, and I was able to see the bend in the hallway, B-8 and B-9 were right beside one another, and both open, which made me slow to a crawl as I approached. B-8 was labeled as Storage East B, and I could just make out B-9 in the darkness. Maintenance Access B. That must be what I was looking for.

As I moved closer, I heard a noise, I slammed to a stop, like it was a physical blockade. Metal had struck metal, and it echoed through the entire hallway. I whipped my bald head to look back down the hallway, wondering if the thing back in medical had somehow brought down the door holding it confined. Then I heard something new, a clacking that came at an unusual rhythm. The sound of something hard repeatedly striking the metal tiling began to fill the space around me.

An involuntary shudder ran through my body as I turned around. Something was slowly emerging from the storage room. Long, oily black hair ran to the ground, attached to a head that was covered a black skin that seemed to bounce the light poked from the room. If it had a face, I could not see the details. Only a mostly round mass of, now that I looked at it, was almost certainly a version of the gunk that covered the floor. Then it turned its head to point in my direction, and that's when I realized that the head was near the top of the doorframe. A good arms length above me.

The rest of the thing began to crawl out of the doorway, and when I saw the rest, that was how I had to define it. It had a long neck attached to a skinny body, the ribs showed beneath its shiny pitch black skin. It looked starved, or maybe, she? It had small, almost vestigial breasts on its chest, and its hips flared out, but I didn't really see anything else I could reasonably describe as 'human'. Its arms carried well past its torso, long, spindly things that ended in long knife-like clawed hands. Where its legs should have been, it had six multi-jointed appendages that all ended in a wicked looking spike, striking the ground as it moved slowly out of the room. Guess I found the source of clacking.

When the thing was fully in the hall, the creature's head split open, like my suit had when I pulled the zipper to open it. Only these teeth were pointed, arrow-like protrusions that ran in multiple rows. They gleamed a bleached white in the low light of the hallway, they stood stark against the monsters' otherwise pitch silhouette. It screamed, a horrible, all too human sounding female wail, that carried down the halls. Much to my growing horror, I heard other cries come in answer.

I needed to go, and I needed to be gone ten minutes ago, only now I had a seven-foot tall nightmare standing between me and where I, hopefully, needed to go. As I tried to wrack my empty mind on how to do that, the creature rushed me. It did not share the same hesitation, and likely had done this before. I had already lost both initiative and experience, my life wasn't turning out to be a large series of victories. The creature leaned forward, arms outstretched to grab me and pull me into that maw. Then something I never expected happened, something that I had no reason to ever expect. While I stood there, petrified by fear and indecision, the monster tripped.

The spindly frame of the black abomination hit the ground hard, limbs splaying every which way. It was enough to knock me from my paralysis, as I stared at the thing on the ground. I didn't think about it more, I ran. I jumped over its arms as they grasped for me, knife-like hands reached for me, but they didn't manage to get very far, as if they were too heavy for the creature to fully lift. The claws never managed to get more than a few inches in range. I don't think its appearance was a coincidence, I think this thing was starving. The thing's body was imposing but weak. Which was all the more reason to get out of here. If it was starving and it managed to get its claws in me, I was dinner for sure.

I sprinted to the maintenance room, glancing over my shoulder for a second to see the thing quickly getting to its upright position, turning to pursue me. I cast my gaze around the room, and spotted a ladder leading up to a closed hatch at the top of the ceiling. I rushed for it, hoping it wasn't my turn to slip on my own feet. I took the rungs two at a time, grabbing the lever on the side of the hatch. Even in the poor light coming in from the hallway, I could make out the yellow and black arrow telling me to pull the lever.

It grabbed my leg then, sharp claws dug into my coveralls, and Ifelt the hot pain lance up my calf, followed by the cold wetness. I didn't look over my shoulder, I didn't need the image of its gnashing mouth trying to bite into my leg. I must have been further up than I thought, since it hadn't already tore into me. I thrashed my body, trying to shake it off, and get the hatch open at once. The sounds of other things getting closer only pushed the need to escape higher.

The creature's stamina eventually lost out to my own, and its claw fell loose. I shoved the hatch open and pulled myself inside, faster than I even realized I was able, as I threw myself into the wall with how hard I pulled up. I was dazed for a moment, unsure where I was even facing, before the same scream that started this whole thing brought me back to the present. I scrambled to the opening, grabbing the door to slam it shut. A moment of morbid curiosity overwhelmed me, and I looked down.

The spindly monster had its claws in its mouth, sucking on them. Without a doubt in my mind those dark blades were slick with my blood, it was hard to tell in the failing light of the hallway outside. I slammed the hatch shut, feeling my revulsion rise. That thing had a taste for me now, god, I hoped those claws couldn't work the door. Not sure what else to do, I sat on the hatch, hoping my weight would be enough to deter anything that might be able to get to the door. That thing wasn't tall enough, and no way its strange pointed legs would be able to climb the rungs. Best not to tempt fate though, and using my, whatever I weighed, to hold down the only way seemed a good Idea.

It took a moment for my eyes to adjust, the tunnel wasn't lit by sparse, mostly broken fluorescent light like the floor I just left behind. It was full of red bulbs, set into the wall at regular intervals. I didn't pay much mind, as I turned my attention to the pressing matter of my wounded leg. I pulled up the ruined pant leg, looking at the number of overlapping cuts that ran into my flesh. Dark blood ran down my leg, both somehow hot and cold at the same time. It looked worse in the red light, even my undamaged skin stained crimson in the dark. The coveralls had provided little protection against the blades.

I ran my mind as quickly as I could. One of the benefits of having basically no memories, were the ones I did have stood out starkly. Floor B had a medical facility, and it was the same set up as Floor D. That said there was a very good chance A was the same way, and would also have a medical facility. That means I just have to get there. I looked up, seeing a ladder in front of me, it seemed to go up and down. A firm black shape in the red darkness of the lights. Had to do something about my leg before I tried to climb though.

There was nothing I had to work with, but the clothes on my back, so I guess that's what I was going to have to use. I took off my boot, then tore the ruined parts of my pant leg. Anything long enough I started tying around the smaller parts I was using as makeshift gauze. Though that was quickly running out, so I took the shoulder of my coveralls into my mouth, and used my teeth to tear into the fabric. Then into further shreds of bandages. While I did so, part of me remarked on how I seemed to have some rudimentary understanding of first aid, and another part of me was just really thankful for that fact. Perhaps that voice in the elevator would be able to give me some answers.

With my leg as taken care of as it was going to get, I stood, and tested putting some weight on it. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but I still had a mild limp as I put my boot back on and moved over to the ladder. The ladder went down a ways below me, but I could see a tiny point down there that I think was the bottom through a series of red lights and tunnels. Above me was a different story, I could see the floor above me not far away, only a single tunnel separated me and it. After a few tests of my capacity to maneuver, I started climbing. Half-way up the ladder, I heard a sound that made my heart drop down a few floors. Something hit the hatch door. I climbed faster.

I didn't look down, ignoring my aching leg as I entered the tunnel, and tried to get the fuck out of here. Hoping that if the, whatever, managed to get in, that it wouldn't be able to get through the tunnel. I heard the banging a few more times below me as I climbed for all my life, and continued to do so even after the sound stopped. Looking down to see if a horrible face or clawed tentacle was about to enter the ladder well below me. Then I felt a moment of absolute terror gripped me as I found myself grasping at empty air, was this it? Had I messed up and this was how I would die?

I looked up, to see that I had reached the end of the ladder. I had made it, I was at the top. I found myself on an exact replica of the last maintenance... shaft? I think it was a shaft. With a metal hatch set into the middle of the floor. Taking care not to slip as I dismounted, I moved over to the hatch and slowly turned the handle. Pulling it open just a crack to check the floor I was on. First I saw more light, which I took as a good sign, and pulled the hatch the rest of the way open.

The floor down below was a lot better lit, if messy. I could see tools scattered around the floor and on shelves. The same sorts of things that had been down below, but I hadn't had the time to properly appreciate. The ache in my leg reminded me I was on a timeline, so I started heading down, making sure to seal the hatch and wondering if leaving it open wouldn't have been the better option.

With the pain steadily growing in my leg, I began my agonizing descent. Stalling any longer might result in me bleeding out in the maintenance shaft, long before any monster made me dinner. Every step hurt more and more, and when I hit the ground I felt ready to pass out. As quickly as I felt able, I limped to the door, peering out into the hall. Looking down the two corridors I could see from the corner door. I was pleasantly greeted by a lack of the dark material matting every surface. The halls were in no less shambles, trash strewn over the lengths, walls parted with gashesa, pocked with holes. It was well lit, however.

I only paid it a modicum of attention as I limped toward the elevator, where my life depended on there being a medical facility. The trip was long, and so very, very painful. I had only known the world for what must have been a few hours, maybe less than that. I wasn't going to let this be how it ended. That thought gave me a surge of energy, and let me limp the rest of the way down the hall. Thankfully, the medical facility was there, and more thankfully, the door opened as I neared.

Being able to see in the hall, the door opening, and seeing that the inside of the facility was in a much better state of array, all helped to improve my dwindling mental state. The pain was slowly eating away at the reserve of will I had gained. Though, it again lifted as I edged my way over to the large metal cabinet with a red cross painted on the front. Pulling the door open with a lifting handle, I was relieved to see the entire cabinet relatively well stocked. Whatever had happened here, the staff clearly hadn't prioritized rooms like this. The monsters showed up, and they opted to get the hell out rather than hunker down and wait it out. At least, only one person seemed to have that idea.

The woman who spoke to me in the lift was on this floor, somewhere. I wondered where would be a good place to hide away in this place, as I grabbed out the antiseptic, gauze, and bandages. I limped over to a chair and sat down, slowly removing the makeshift dressing. My leg was a mess. What had been unblemished pale flesh, was now a ragged red mess of cuts. Thankfully none of them seemed to be too deep, or at least didn't clip anything life threatening. That didn't change the fact I had lost a good bit of blood. Removing my boot and rolling up what was left of my pant leg, I mentally braced myself for what was to come. I began to pour the antiseptic onto one of the gauze pads I had, wincing as I started to wipe down the cuts. I had considered just pouring the stinging liquid over my wounds, but seeing the injury not nearly as threatening as I feared let my more calm, pragmatic side easily reign over the impulse.

The task took time, and I felt light headed by the time my new, improved dressing was in place. The task had been agony on top of agony, and now I was just tired. So I just sat there for a while, wondering if it would be safe to take a nap. Then I heard a crackle, so I turned my head to see where it came from. Nothing to see, I began to wonder if it had been my imagination. A sensory hallucination brought on by blood loss? Then it came again, followed by a familiar voice.

"Ah, you made it, and mostly in one piece, that's good. Seemed the information integrated properly." I looked up, and spotted a silver, porous disk in the ceiling, a speaker. The woman's voice came through metallic like the speaker was on its way out. I wondered how she knew I was here, then I noticed a camera in the corner of the ceiling. I wondered if there was another in the elevator I hadn't spotted. "I can see you had a run in with our friends on the floor below, I admit, I hoped you'd avoid them, but the odds were low. I'm just glad to see you made it in one piece."

I asked her what this place was and how I ended up here, once again struck by the hoarse, displeasing voice that came out. I needed some water, and maybe a cough drop.

"Sorry, these cameras don't have microphones, so I can't hear anything you're saying." Well, that was unfortunate, but that means she didn't have to hear my voice. For some reason that gave me relief. I raised my hand giving the camera a thumbs up to show I understood.

"Ah, good, seems the experiment was a total success, You're even exhibiting social mannerisms." Gee, thanks? I thought to myself, Though she had some point, I had never seen a person do a thumbs up, but I knew that it was a positive symbol. Has she something to do with my current state? She continued on, "I'm in room 52, this floor is clear, but I don't think you should lounge around too long. The informis are not stupid, they know you're here, and they're likely already trying to reach you." Informis? So that's what they're called? I didn't much care for the idea of that spider thing coming after me, so I gave another thumbs up and stood.

I looked around the area, spotting a large metal box along one wall of the infirmary. Limping over, something tangled in the back of my awareness. My brain is trying to put concepts and ideas together but mixing them up. The general feeling was it was a place to look for what I needed. Opening the lid, I was washed over by a wave of cold air. The inside was coated in a blue light, it was a cold storage. I spotted boxes, bottles, bags, and all sorts of things I had no idea about. Something did catch my eye though, and I grabbed it greedily. Holding it up to inspect, a broad smile creased my lips.

It was a clear liquid and the label, a plain white with black text, read 'water'. I opened the cap and took a swig. The cool, refreshing water was amazing. I could almost feel the arid landscape of my throat coming back to life. A wasteland given new hope by the fall of rain. After a few seconds, the entire bottle was empty, and I grabbed a second one. I didn't open this one right away, I decided to take my time with this one. I took a few more minutes to look around, managing to find some pain killers, and taking the recommended dose on the label. The woman didn't speak again. If she was still watching me, she didn't make her presence known. As I searched around, I got lucky and found a pack of generic labeled cough drops, which made me happier than I would have admitted. I popped one in my mouth, letting the flavor wash over me. It wasn't exactly pleasant, but not so bad that I felt the need to spit out the drop.

I pocketed the bag and headed for the door. I noted two things as I exited the infirmary, heading down the way I had come. Firstly, my leg hurts considerably less now. That must have been a really good pain killer. Probably for the nest I only had the recommended. The second thing I noted is that while the cough drop was in my mouth and I could taste it, I had no frame of reference for flavor. It was sort of sweet, and a bit bitter in the aftertaste. That was it, I couldn't tell what it was meant to be flavored after and the 'artificially flavored' tag on the bag didn't help. So that was another gap in my mind.

I didn't ponder on it long, that larger part of my psyche telling me that I'd just have to fill that information in on my own. There were more pressing matters to focus my attention on. The woman had said there were none of those things, the informis, on this floor. That didn't mean there wasn't some other danger in the corners. So I tred as carefully as I thought I could, moving down one hallway, into a familiar one. It was an identical one to the one I first emerged into after waking. No, that was untrue, it was similar, but this one was far messier. Where on level D the wall had been lined with suits for claiming, here those suits were damaged and strewn around. The disaster that hit the floor had not spared the clothing.

I spent a moment looking to see if there were another pair of boots and coveralls that I could switch into, but the ones I found were in greater states of disrepair than mine. With a great sigh, I began to limp forward into unfamiliar territory. Rounding the corner, I found a similar hallway, though with some major differences. Where the last two had been a single continuous stretch, this one had a few intersections, branching off into more halls. Just how big was this place?

I had to pause at each intersection, to read the listing on the wall. The third one had the listing I was after, and I headed down it without thinking much more about it. I tried to imagine what it was like for the people who once worked here. This place was so uniform and dull. White walls, only decorated with signs marking each room. A dull, metal floor, that didn't even give the resounding clang my brain told me should be there. It was so quiet and still, that it almost upset me. At least the damage brought some ripples to the water, I thought to myself as I sipped the bottle in my hand.

As I drew closer to the door, I felt the anxiousness rise in my stomach. A person, a real person was waiting for me. The first person I've met in memory, not a monster hungry for my blood. At least, I hoped she wasn't a monster. That wasn't a good errant thought to occur so close to the goal I had set. 52 was in sight now, and I stood before it trying to outpace the swelling unease in my gut. The chrome, featureless door slid open noiselessly. Letting me see another small hallway, like the first one I had seen. Clear glass walls, rubber studs on the floor. Completely clear and sterile.