Fortune and Fortitude Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Quinn once again seemed surprised by Zoe's answer. "You've grown up a lot since the last time we met."

Zoe narrowed her eyes. "No, I've just learned how to hide my feelings. Or maybe your perceptiveness has gone down."

Quinn blinked. "Um... Alright." She turned her attention to Jared. "How does she fit into all of this?"

Jared held up his hands. "I don't know. It's not as obvious as with Kiara, but..." He hesitated, glancing towards Zoe. She had a determined stare set on him. He softened. "But I guess there's something there." He looked to Quinn again. "Is that... alright?"

She nodded and stood up. "I don't see why not. Zoe, you can live by the same terms as Kiara?" She went over to a dresser and started looking through the top drawer.

Zoe glared at her. "I don't think so."

Quinn stopped. "Wait, why not? Which one can't you agree with?"

Zoe went to open her mouth, but Kiara stopped her. She leaned down to whisper in Zoe's ear for a few seconds. Zoe's glare softened, and she glanced over to Jared. "Fine, I accept your terms. If I have to."

Quinn looked over to Jared for an answer, but he shrugged and held up his hands. I don't know, he mouthed.

"Well, with that settled..." Quinn pulled out a notebook from the dresser and pulled the pencil from the rings. "We need to determine our next step. As of this moment, this is our team for the apocalypse."

Zoe tilted her head. "Including those people, right?"

Quinn tapped the pencil against her lip as she sat down next to Jared. "Not necessarily. At least, not yet. Until they become vassals, all we have on them is their word. Even then, the deal doesn't really start until Jared claims them."

Kiara nodded. "We can't trust them fully until then. So for now, I guess we prepare. What is our next step?"

"Well," Quinn offered, "We already know your objective, which becomes one of ours as a group." She sketched it down quickly in her notebook. "And it sounds to me like Jared and Zoe need to talk more. Get to know each other again." She added that to the list. "Additionally, we need to figure out who we're adding to the harem next."

Jared winced. "Do we have to call it that? It sounds so... demeaning."

Zoe snorted. "Well, what else do you call us? 'Dragon Fan Club'?"

Jared laughed. "You know, I do actually prefer that."

Quinn elbowed him. "Of course you do. But seriously, who's next?" She turned serious. "Ria or Annika?"

"Why not that boss lady? Senguine, or whatever?" Zoe asked. "She seems like she'd be really useful."

Jared's eyes widened as Quinn's face turned red. "Well, about that..." She glanced over to him. "Miss Senguine is actually our mother."

Zoe blinked. "Our mother? Meaning, the two of you? But that would make you..." Their solemn expressions confirmed her conclusion. She made a face. "Gross!"

"Maybe," Quinn said dismissively, "But it's irrelevant now. Either way, I doubt we'd be able to convince her, even without said... complications."

"I think we should go with Ria," Kiara offered. "She seems a bit more enthusiastic about joining. Not to mention, the sooner she becomes a vassal, the more she'll get to eat. All things considered."

Jared hesitated. "I think Annika needs it more. Plus, she seems to be really grumpy all of the sudden. It's... strange."

Quinn frowned. "It's true. From what you've told me, she seems to be behaving much differently since I arrived. Even from the moment we met."

Zoe brightened. "Maybe I can talk to her. Find out what's wrong."

Kiara eyed her skeptically. "Ria doesn't like strangers much, that's all. Besides, you're the newest one here - and human, no less."

Zoe shrugged. "It's worth a shot, isn't it? Besides, it'll give me something to do. Lady Senguine hasn't really given me any schedule like the rest of you."

Jared sighed. "It's a good idea. All right, Zoe, see if you can find out what's up with her. But in the meantime, I vote we go for Annika next."

Quinn nodded and scratched in a few more things into the notebook. "Sounds good so far."

Kiara interrupted. "What about you, Quinn? You've asked about our goals, but what's your next step?"

Quinn raised her eyebrows. "What do you mean? My only goal is for Jared and I to end up happy and alive. Whatever moves us towards that is progress in my mind." She kept scribbling.

Kiara didn't seem satisfied with that answer. "You know, tonight is scheduled feeding time. Normally we just hang out at the party, get what we can - I sometimes slip out for a movie. Maybe it would be a good idea for you two to slip away after a bit and... get some private time? Just a thought," she added hurriedly.

Quinn bit back a smile and looked to Jared. "What do you think?"

Jared smiled, allowing Quinn to release her own. "I think that sounds like a great idea. It has been a while, after all."

Quinn smirked. "Two days does take its toll on a relationship."

Jared blinked. "No way it's only been two days."

"Yesterday was the field trip. The day before was our wedding and consummation," Quinn said with a smile. "Two days. The day before yesterday."

He shook his head. "Feels like an eternity."

Quinn giggled, ignorant of Zoe's scowl. "Alright, let's plan on that. Is there anything else we - Oh!" she exclaimed. "I almost forgot!"

She went back to the dresser and rummaged through it for a few seconds. "Ah hah! Here we are!" She pulled out a piece of paper and brought it to Jared, holding it out proudly.

"What is this?" Jared took it from her and scanned it, his eyes widening. "... Midsville County Clerk proudly proclaims that Jared Bertreck and Kiara Rimska were joined together in solemen matrimony - Quinn!" He looked between her and Kiara. "We're married?"

She smiled. "As of yesterday. Senguine agreed to help me get this - and don't worry, it's technically legal. I just thought you might-"

Jared engulfed her in a big hug. "It means a lot to me. Thank you." She mumbled something along the lines of "You're welcome" before he released her.

He stood and walked over to Kiara, extending the certificate to her. She eyed him warily as she took it from him and studied it.

"I guess this means we're official," she said slowly.

Jared steeled himself. Just do it. And then, in front of Quinn and Zoe, he kissed her, leaning down to press his lips against hers.

She hesitated for a moment before settling into it. It was in stark contrast to his morning kisses with Quinn - no fire, no passion. Just gentle affections. But it was none the less for it.

He cupped her face with his hand as he pulled away,

He cupped her face with his hand as he pulled away. She moved after him slightly, reluctant to end so soon. Her brown eyes gazed at him softly, with a tenderness and a slight question to it.

Quinn cleared her throat. "Honestly, I hate to interrupt, but it is time for dinner."

Jared looked over to her. She seemed a bit uncomfortable, and he held back a wince. Maybe that had been a bad idea.

Either way, they all went down to dinner together.

***********

Unlike breakfast and lunch, dinner seemed to be more of a casual smorgasbord. There was fast-food pizza on the table in a variety of flavors, and a simple handwritten sign from Senguine, instructing them to eat and get ready for the party - it would start at six o' clock.

Jared planned on taking his time, but Quinn wouldn't hear of it. Even though she couldn't leave, she instructed him to go home and get ready - take a real shower, comb his hair, get dressed in something nicer, etc. He didn't have to go all out like the first time he attended a party like this - he didn't need to make a good first impression now, after all.

He quickly rushed home and did as she requested. He eyed the suit, debating on whether or not it was the worth the trouble before deciding that he probably wouldn't even put it on right without Quinn's help. He opted on his nicest polo, one with a dark blue shade, and brown slacks. After quickly combing his hair, he jumped back in and raced back to the party.

The half hour drive each way, plus a twenty minute shower, meant that he was late. He sighed as he turned off his car and pocketed the key. Hopefully he wouldn't get in trouble for this.

Sure enough, there were dozens of cars littered around the area, inside and outside the gate. He strode up to the door and nearly knocked before remembering his place. He opened it and walked inside.

Just like the last party, loud music was blaring over setup speakers, and well-dressed individuals were scattered between the living room, dining room, and kitchen. Unlike last time, he wasn't feeling particularly nervous. Partially, he admitted, because he knew what he was now. The fact that most of the people here were human made him feel... superior, in a way. Even a few disparaging looks at his outfit only amused him.

Kiara was situated near the door, dressed nearly identical to last time. He walked up to her. "Have you seen Quinn?"

"She's around here somewhere." Her response came out cold.

Jared frowned. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

Her mood was completely different from earlier. "Are you sure? You seem..." The answer dawned on him. "You're socially anxious." Her attitude was similar to on the bus. Or at the last party, before they had stepped out to talk privately.

She didn't respond. "I think she's upstairs."

Jared leaned on the wall next to her. "I guess we'll wait for her to come down."

They sat like that for some time, not saying a word. He scanned the room for everyone.

Senguine was sitting at the table, enjoying a glass of wine. She seemed disinterested in the world around her, eyeing the guests with an indifferent gaze. In another corner was Ria, socializing in the midst of a large group of young adults. Feeding, most likely.

Annika was in the center of the room, chatting and laughing with a few boys. Jared would have been more irritated had he not known how desperate she was for any type of sustenance and knowing this was likely the most she would get tonight. He'd have to fix that soon.

Zoe was nowhere to be seen, which he thought might be for the best. She had a habit of speaking her mind and combined with a scathing wit and impressive insight into others' insecurities, had a habit of making enemies. Her company was refreshingly honest, however, and he often wondered why she had wandered away.

As children, she had had quite the crush on him, he knew. He wondered if that had anything to do with her agreeing to be a vassal. She certainly seemed to get over her feelings by the time they had reached teenagehood. And he couldn't blame her. He'd become quite the loser.

He frowned. Until she discovered that he was a demon, and a powerful one at that. Hmph. Well that did nothing to improve his view of her. He'd have to talk with her later.

A soft hand took his. He glanced down to see Kiara holding his hand. She met his eyes and gave a small, apologetic smile. He squeezed her hand. When he had first met her, he had taken her for a cold, judgmental individual. It was strange to realize how soft she really was - and shy. It was very strange.

He turned his head to look at the sudden commotion that had come upon the floor. Annika was arguing with one of the young men gathered in her circle. Jared's brow furrowed, and he glanced at Kiara.

Go, she mouthed. He nodded and gave her hand a final squeeze before proceeding onto the floor, making his way to where the conflict had started.

"You said tonight was the night!" the young man spat. "What, you a liar now?"

"I said I'd make my decision tonight," Annika responded sharply. "And I said no."

The man laughed darkly. "You and I both know you don't really have any other options." He grabbed at her arm suddenly and pulled her in close. "You need this."

"Hey!" Jared came up behind him and grabbed his shoulder, his fire sizzling angrily. "Back off, man."

As he turned slowly to face Jared, Jared was able to get a clear view of his features. He was tall, maybe six foot two, with sharp features and slanted eyes. His dark hair and complexion placed him in an above average level of attraction, and his demeanor demanded respect. He looked young, maybe 22 or so.

He glared down at Jared, but he didn't release Annika, who stopped struggling. He looked him up and down. "Oh yeah? And who are you?"

Jared folded his arms. "I'm her boyfriend. I suggest you let her go."

The man snorted, but released Annika, shoving her back, where she stumbled and fell into a fellow partygoer. But Jared's eyes didn't leave his new opponent's.

"What's your name, friend?" The man snarled.

"I am Jared Bertreck. And you are?"

"Calvin. Calvin Scap." He extended a hand with a suddenly welcoming grin. "Pleasure to meet you."

Jared took his hand and shook it, only for him to suddenly squeeze it. Jared flinched as a blade suddenly stuck itself into his palm, despite the fact that their palms were pressed together.

Calvin yanked him in close to whisper in his ear. "I suggest you go home, Bertreck. You don't belong here."

Jared pushed him off with a force that surprised the larger man. He wiped his hand on his slacks, ignoring the blood that trickled onto them. "I don't think I will, Scap. In fact," he said, a glint in his eye, "I suggest you leave."

"What is the meaning of this?" Miss Senguine suddenly appeared in the gathering crowd.

Calvin glowered. "You stay out of this, lady, or I'll have my dad deal with you."

Miss Senguine considered on this, but she didn't seem dismissive. Jared glanced at Calvin's hand, where he watched a spike retreat back into the flesh of his palm. He was demonic. Did she have more proteges? Or did she just invite other demons?

Miss Senguine met his gaze. Then she shrugged. "I suppose it isn't my business. Continue."

With her dismissal, the crowd slowly started to disperse. But Jared knew that they weren't done yet.

Calvin cracked his neck, an action contrary to the tuxedo he was dressed in. "Alright, buddy. You want to wrestle for her?" When Jared didn't answer, Calvin smirked. "Alright, it's your funeral."

He suddenly lunged forward, a dark spike erupting from his knuckles as he aimed for Jared's stomach.

Jared didn't move, allowing the blade to sink in and ignoring the sharp pain. It was only a few inches, but it hurt more than he'd like to admit. Calvin's satisfied smirk faded into a look of confusion as Jared stood there.

Then Jared grabbed him by the shoulders and forced him to his feet. Calvin grunted in surprise as Jared's fingers wrapped around the front of his neck and gripped him tightly.

"Listen here, Calvin," Jared muttered into his ear. "You're in over your head. If you so much as try to hit me again..." He squeezed the man's shoulder tightly, until he heard a small crack. "You die on the spot. Understood?"

Calvin grunted in pain again. His eyes were hesitant, fearful. He glanced around. Jared could be bluffing, after all. Maybe this was a simple show of force. But, Jared mused, could he take that chance?

Ultimately, his demonic nature won out. With a slight shift, Jared felt the spike slip out from him. "Understood," Calvin growled.

Jared released him and walked away, careful to keep one hand concealing the new wound in his side. He took a deep breath, trying to ignore the fire's angry protest. They had already made a bit of a scene - no need to take it further.

After regaining some degree of composure, he walked over to where Annika was now sitting. She managed a small smile. "Sorry about that."

Jared shrugged. "He's a jerk. It was good to put him in his place."

Annika glanced over to where Calvin stood, nursing his shoulder. "He's a plevgiv. What you might call a sorcerer." She sighed. "He's not used to being the smaller dog around. He's nowhere near as powerful as you, but he's nothing to sneeze at. Making him into an enemy isn't really ideal. That statement about his father wasn't an idle threat - they tend to be very cooperative when it comes to taking revenge for a family member."

Jared shrugged. "We'll deal with that when we get there. Are you okay?"

Her face fell, and she looked down. "You know the answer to that question."

Jared winced and rubbed the back of his neck with his hand. "Look, I'll... We'll do it soon. Make it official. I just need-"

"Some time, I know." She didn't even look up.

He suddenly felt quite guilty. If he had been raised demon, he probably wouldn't have even hesitated at her first offer, much less now. But he hadn't been. No, instead he had "principles" and "honor," neither of which mattered to her in the moment.

"I'm sorry. I know this must be rather difficult for you." He sighed. "Let's do it tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" She raised an eyebrow and looked at him. "Are you sure?"

He hesitated. "Okay, maybe in the next couple of days. Tuesday at the very latest. I promise."

She gave a small smile. "I'll hold you to it." She paused, biting her lip. "In the meantime... Maybe we can do something else?"

Before Jared could respond, he was interrupted. "There you are! I was waiting for you for quite a while!"

He turned to see Quinn, fully dressed up and ready for the evening. She was wearing a bright yellow skirt, with her hair done in curls down her back. And was that... makeup? Not much, but some, to accentuate her better features.

He grinned. "Hey, Quinn. You look... amazing."

She smiled and tilted her head. "Thank you. You look..." Her eyes narrowed and she sat down next to him, on his other side. "What happened?!"

Jared winced as she lifted his shirt to look at the puncture hole. "It's nothing."

"He got in a fight to defend me from some idiot," Annika explained. "He took a hit for it."

Quinn frowned. She looked like she was about to chew him out, but she sighed. "I guess I shouldn't expect anything less from you. And your stupid sense of honor." She reached over the table to grab some napkins and began dabbing at the wound. "It doesn't look too serious, fortunately."

Jared shrugged. "I think it was mostly to scare me off, not to kill me. He didn't want to make a scene any more than I did."

Quinn glanced up to finally notice that Annika and Jared were sitting next to each other. "Oh, I'm sorry. Was I interrupting something?"

Annika waved her hand in dismissal. "I was just asking him to dance. But you can have him, if you need."

Quinn pursed her lips. "I'm not sure he should go dancing with a wound like that. It could lead to some undesired bleeding in the middle of the dance floor." She looked around at the lack of dancers. "I assume that dancing in and of itself wasn't your reasons, though."

Annika rolled her eyes. "I just wanted a snack. A little something to eat, alright?"

Quinn nodded. "I get it. But there are easier ways." She grinned. "Jared, what do you say to a little bit of snuggling?"

Jared blinked. "Here? Now?"

"Well, it is feeding night." Quinn scooted against him, laying her head on his shoulder. "And this helps."

Jared wrapped an arm around her back. "You know, this isn't what people normally do at parties."

"No," Annika agreed, "It's not." She scooted under his other arm, pressing into his side. "But it's more efficient than flirting."

Jared sighed and leaned back, cautiously placing his arm around her shoulders. "People are going to stare."

"Let them," Quinn said indifferently. "Their opinions don't matter anymore."

She was right. In fact, that was along the same lines that he had realized when he walked in. Since last night, and even a bit before that, he was starting to accept his new role. And it made the opinions of strangers so much less relevant.