Fourth Vector Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"This is the reason why I wanted to ask our new friends where to go," said Jack while smiling at the Lishkerrans. "Since we are foreigners to this area of the world, your wisdom and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Where are we most likely to find the alliance that we seek?"

Most of the room turned to watch the two Lishkerrans in the front row. For his part, Vigo looked over at Numa with a hopeful expression, as if seeking permission to answer Jack's question. Numa gently nodded her head without a word and having received his permission, Vigo got out of his chair and approached the map.

"While we Lishkerrans generally do not involve ourselves with peoples outside of our island, this map is all that we have for the local area. We also have knowledge of what you can find on each island."

Vigo then pointed to the island on the northeast side, the smaller circular one. "This one you do not want to go to. Even though it is small in size, the most wicked of creatures live here. Those that breathe fire when they take to the skies."

A low murmur erupted from the officers as they digested the elder's words. More than once, Jack heard the word dragons being muttered by the assembled ranks.

Vigo's finger then pointed to the island exactly due north. "This largest island belongs to the world of men but it is the island we've also had the most trouble with since we've moved to our current home. This is an island of slavers, a nasty people, and should be avoided at all costs."

Finally, Vigo settled on the island to the northwest. "This is the island we've had the most contact with. It is called Sorella and more recently it has been divided into two parts. A West Sorella and an East Sorella. They are the same peoples although they have chosen two different leaders politically. We have generally found the Sorellans to be good people."

Jack studied the last island in particular, noting its geography and how they could approach it. "Do these Sorellans have any cities? Where would be a good place for us to land?"

Vigo took a deep breath and closed his eyes. "To that question, we don't have a good answer. All that we know of the Sorellans is that of which we have been told. Almost a year ago, a trader was the one that gave us the news about the island dividing politically, but we've heard of nothing since then. No Lishkerran has stepped foot on their island. I'm sorry, Jack, but we cannot answer that question."

Jack nodded slowly. "How about their leaders? Do you know of their names? What are they like?"

"We know of one of their leaders," answered Numa who started to stand. "A new one at that. His name is Daimanos but as to his personality, we cannot attest to that."

"Well, at least we know of someone we can start with. What about their level of technology?"

Numa gave him a perplexed look. "What do you mean by that?"

"I mean how advanced are these Sorellans? Are they like us? Do they have great metal ships? Handheld radios?" Jack showed the one clipped to his waist to the Lishkerran elder.

"Oh, I see what you mean now. There wasn't much to see on our last encounter with them. At the time, they operated great ships made out of the trunks of trees. On their decks were attached great squares of cloth although for what purpose that was for, we do not know."

Luke was the one to interrupt. "Those must be sails. They must not be past sailing technology."

"What about guns?" asked Greg. "Do they have anything like our rifles?"

Numa nodded. "They have the same type of bang sticks as you do. However theirs are louder and somewhat smokier when released."

Jack thought about her answer for a moment before responding. "It sounds like they are rather behind us in technology. To be only on wooden sailing ships and what sounds like muskets. Although, I'm surprised we found that level of technology in the Vector."

"Especially with what we've heard about it back home," agreed Abigail.

"Unfortunately, that is all we know about the lands to the north," said Vigo with a morose smile. "If you'll allow it, we'll take our leave back to the city now."

Jack bowed his head slightly. "We greatly appreciate your input. We're all thankful to have the friendship of the Lishkerran people."

Both Numa and Vigo returned the bow and after a small wave to the rest of the officers, the Lishkerran councilors took their leave of the ship, closing the door to Jack's headquarters behind them.

Jack then turned to face the rest of the officers. "So, what do you all think?"

Surprisingly, it was Cory that spoke up first. "It really doesn't leave us much choice, does it?" When the rest of the officers turned to look at him, he continued speaking. "I mean, unless we want to be roasted alive by dragons or become slaves, I'd say we go to this Sorella island and try our luck there."

Jack nodded before speaking again. "Anybody else? What do you think about this?"

"I'm a little concerned by their technology," said Vicky. "All we've ever heard is that the Vector is filled with stone-throwing savages. To hear that one of these people have mastered gunpowder and rigged sailing is a little disheartening."

"What if we don't have a warm reception either?" asked Anna. "The Lishkerrans were able to hurt us even though their weapons are primitive. What if they aren't as well-meaning to us as they were to them?"

Jack quickly shook his head. "There's no other way for us to find that out besides going there. We can raise doubts about it all day long but we won't know for sure until we encounter these Sorellans and their leader Daimanos."

"Consider me in, Jack," said Greg, piping up from the corner. "With all of our options, they sound like the best bet."

"Aye, same here, Jack," said Bill Norman.

Eventually the entire room came to the same consensus, nodding their agreement with their comrades.

"So that settles it then. We're heading to Sorella," said Jack finally, tapping the island on the map.

"I guess there's only one question left," said Abigail while getting up from her chair. "When do we leave?"

"We can leave tomorrow," said Jack. "Our stores of supplies are just about replenished thanks to the Lishkerrans. They should be finished loading them tonight, and we can take off in the morning."

"What about theTiger, Jack?" asked Vicky. "She still has the flooded out room that's only being sealed by the watertight bulkheads."

"Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about that right now," answered Jack. "The Lishkerrans just don't have the capacity or the technology to help us fix that. What we need is a dry dock big enough to fit the ship and enough steel to cover the gap. We have neither of those available to us right now. Not unless we lose a few weeks to sail back to Quiller's Cove. That's just not an option right now so we'll sail without it."

The rest of the meeting was filled with talk of logistics as the assembled officers planned their approach to Sorella. Based upon the maps provided, it was thought it would take just about three days to reach the island. Jack hoped that once they got there and hopefully signed an alliance, they could find out more about the Vector. War was still on the horizon, and they would need all the allies they could find. At that very moment on his desk, there was a report about recent raiding by Occitanians of Javan merchant shipping. It wouldn't be long now until the official start of hostilities.

Once the meeting was over, Jack saw the rest of the officers back to their ships and their posts. Assembling a quick message intended for Admiral Bancroft, Jack let him know about his recent exploits with Lishkerra (minus a few of the more intimate parts) as well as their intended course toward Sorella. In turn, he asked to be kept up to speed with events closer to home. Although Jack thought it to be a remote possibility, he knew that most of his crew would jump at the chance to sail home and fight a conventional war against a more familiar enemy.

Finishing his work late in the evening, Jack watched as the last pallet of supplies were loaded onto theDestiny from the dock outside. Now that they were fully loaded, all the crew needed was a good night's rest before they were able to set sail. Turning toward the north, Jack looked out at the darkened horizon and felt an eager anticipation to get moving. Their next adventure was just a short distance away.

Sorella was calling.

*****

The next morning, Jack awoke to the feeling of a subtle stirring next to him. Cracking open one eye, he took in the still sleeping form of Anna nestled into his side. Her wild, dark hair was half tucked under her head and half brushing across the side of his face and neck. Beneath the covers, her nude form pressed intimately against his side and her leg draped possessively over his own.

It wasn't often that Anna spent the entire night in his cabin. Most nights, she had her own watch to do on the bridge, and Jack often found her sneaking out in the middle of the night to attend her shift. It was rare when she got out of the duty, or managed to send her deputy in her place, but last night was one of those nights. Crawling into his bed at just after ten, she had quickly stripped off her uniform and invited him between her legs with a sultry come-hither gesture.

Now though, Jack was just content to enjoy the sight of her peaceful sleeping after a night of vigorous activity. Even though Anna could be a little unpredictable, he still enjoyed these rare quiet moments with her.

Anna stirred beside him and slowly opened her eyes. "Morning," she whispered.

"Good morning," said Jack while rubbing his hand along her back.

"Any idea what time it is?"

Jack leaned up and looked at his watch on the bedside table. "Just a little after six."

A small smile pierced her lips as she closed her eyes and snuggled in closer. "I never get to sleep in. This is so nice."

"Mm-hmm," muttered Jack, enjoying the feeling of her bodily warmth.

Anna stirred one more time and placed her hand against his chest. Setting her chin between her fingers, her dark-brown eyes searched his own. "What are you thinking about, Jack?"

His fingers slid through her hair as he returned the gaze. "Two things really. How nice it is to share this time with you in the morning. And how we have to finally set sail today."

Anna smiled. "You know, you could take me permanently off watch duty and we could share a whole night together more often."

Jack chuckled. "And that wouldn't get the whole officer corps talking about us, would it?"

She giggled and flicked her hair back. "I suppose you're right! I still like the idea of doing this more often."

Jack nodded and kissed her forehead. "Me too. But I can't be showing favoritism. I don't need the rest of the officers hating me."

Anna let out a playful sigh as her hand drifted across his stomach. "Maybe I can convince you another way?" Her fingers danced around his cock.

"Anna," said Jack in a clear warning before shaking his head in a playful manner.

It was her turn to pout. "A girl never gets to have any fun."

He nearly snorted. "Oh, really? What do you call last night then?" Scenes of their passionate embrace filled his mind.

Anna blinked and smiled. "Well, it was fun and that's why I want more of it!"

"My insatiable Anna," he joked.

When she didn't respond, Jack turned to look at her and saw that she was clearly mulling something over internally. Watching her wheels turn, Jack finally spoke up. "What's on your mind?"

Anna cocked her head to one side. "How much longer do you think this mission will go on? I mean, do you think we'll get a chance to go home soon? Maybe get some R&R time soon?"

Jack shrugged. "Hard to say. We've only really just begun the mission so I don't see us being up for any R&R any time soon."

She pursed her lips and went back to her deep thinking.

"Why do you ask?"

Anna looked off toward the ceiling. "No reason, really. I just . . . if we go home soon, I kind of want you to come with me. Our family home isn't far from the naval base of Aberdeen. Maybe you could come and have dinner with us. You know, meet my family?"

Jack watched her expression carefully as she glided over her last words. While sleeping together was one thing, meeting all of the Wainwright family would be something entirely different. Something that Jack had always consigned to a more serious relationship.

Relationship. Was that what he had with Anna? She hadn't made her intentions clear and in fairness, neither had he. Until then, they'd both seemed to be content to sleep with each other with no other strings attached. He did see, however, that she carried a certain possessiveness about her, no doubt spurned by earlier competitions with her sister. But was it a relationship?

A knot began to form in Jack's stomach as he couldn't answer that question. While he was very fond of the girl, he couldn't call it love. Circumstances had thrown them together into the same bed but for him, it had just been about the sex. He thought she was in the same frame of mind as he was. Even Abigail had made that clear from their first time.

Abigail. There was that unanswered question as well. He hardly doubted that their father would take kindly to a man who had slept with both of his daughters. And that's not to mention how their two brothers would take it either.

"Hello, Jack, are you still there?" Anna asked playfully, poking him in the side.

Jack quickly shook his head. "Sorry, just thinking. Is that what you really want?"

Anna began to pull back immediately. "Sorry, Jack, was that a stupid idea? I shouldn't have even said anything. It's too soon, and I don't know why I even brought it up."

Jack nodded but began to feel an awkward tension developing between them. "It's not stupid. I just . . . wasn't aware you felt that strongly about it."

Anna looked up at him. "Don't you though?"

The honest answer would have crushed her. She looked at him so expectantly, with her big, dark eyes and only wanting to hear one particular answer. Jack responded the best way he could.

"I'll say this—let's wait until we figure out when that next R&R actually is. If we feel like we're in a good place, then we can talk about it more. Is that fair?"

She mulled the idea over in her mind for a few moments before eagerly nodding her head. "That sounds wonderful, Jack!" Anna leaned in to kiss him next, her tongue thirstily seeking his own. "It'll be so much fun, I promise!"

Jack chuckled and remained silent. There was no clearer indication of their difference in age than right now. Her naivety about the nature of their relationship was going to end up costing them both a lot of pain. Jack fought off a grimace, the idea of hurting her too painful to contemplate.

Thankfully, she didn't remain pressed into his side very long. Getting an answer that satisfied her, Anna began to slip her body over his, extending her leg on the other side of the bed, and sliding out from between the sheet. Her gloriously nude body stretched as she stood beside the bed and after letting out a small yawn, she began to rummage through her clothing for her underwear.

"I should probably get going and start the morning report," said Anna as she slipped her bra on. "You'd never know it but my boss is a real slave driver," she said with a wink.

"Is that right? I feel so bad for you for having to put up with him," answered Jack with a grin, glad to be back to a more playful mood with her.

"Yeah, it's really just terrible. Thank god there's other aspects about him that make up for it." Her fingers worked the buttons on her top, removing the sight of delicate, exposed flesh from his view. Once she was fully dressed, she leaned over to give him one, last kiss.

"See you on the bridge soon, handsome," she whispered. The kiss lingered a long time before she slipped back into her stern, exterior face. The face of an officer. With that, Anna exited his headquarters, leaving Jack still in bed.

He sighed as soon as she was gone. His relationship with her had taken a very real turn this morning. Now there was a certain choice in front of him which had not been present before. The choice was whether or not to let their relationship turn into something more serious than it was right now. What made that choice so much harder was that he already knew her answer. Unfortunately, the only fair way to decline that choice would be to stop sleeping with her as well. There was no way he could continue to hurt her if he decided he didn't want to pursue a relationship with her.

Jack mulled the idea over in his head like he had several times before. While he greatly enjoyed Anna's company and found her to be playful, intelligent, and incredibly sexy, something about becoming more serious with her just didn't feel right. It wasn't something he could easily put his finger on but Jack trusted his gut. If his gut said no then he had to listen to it. He just hoped that Anna wouldn't take the breakup too badly.

What a great way to start the morning, he thought sourly.

Getting out of bed, Jack quickly dressed for the day and started to catch up on the small pile of reports that had filtered in through the night. While usually the morning was the busiest time for reports, there were always several that made their way in during the overnight hours, usually problems that would need his input.

Jack was glad to see all was well with theTiger overnight, but perplexed over the continued leak on theValiant that had been plaguing the ship since their journey from Quiller's Cove. Even though Luke had claimed it was under control, the leak had resumed once more, frustrating the efforts of the engineers on its source. Jack made a mental note to speak with Luke about it, only imagining the look on the face of his still-wounded colleague.

Thinking of Luke's wound reminded Jack of something he'd been meaning to do. He wrote up a short note to Greg and had Twitch send it down to the major's quarters. With all that was happening lately, this was something he wanted to get up to speed on immediately. Satisfied with the request, Jack finished the last of the paperwork and prepared to depart from Lishkerra.

*****

"You better not shoot any holes in that boat, Jack. Or the commander of this ship will have my ass," said Greg with considerable cheek.

Jack looked up from his rifle and laughed. "Greg, if I shoot any holes in my own damn boat, none of my crew would be able to let me live it down!"

The Marine just chuckled as Jack lowered his head to the scope once more. It had only been two days since they'd left Lishkerra, and the only thing that could be seen in any direction was open water. Jack remained in the prone position against the deck as he once again sighted the target about a hundred yards away.

The target was merely a large square of wood, fitted with a human resemblance to pass off as a target, and set upright onto one of the small launch boats of theDestiny. While crude in nature to some of the gun ranges back in Java, it was the only effective way to have gun training on a ship, where any stray bullet might pierce the inside of the hull or ricochet off the bulkhead and kill someone.

"Not bad shooting," said Greg with a nod. "But my boys would lick you easily in any fight. Try to cluster a few more around the head."

Jack raised the rifle slightly and fired several more bursts. Ever since he'd asked Greg about more rifle training the morning they left Lishkerra, he'd been aching to get in front of a few targets. The recent events with theTiger takeover and the initial Lishkerran assault had shown him that his shooting wasn't as good as it could've been. Several well-placed shots might have been the difference in their fortunes, and Jack was determined to bring his skill with a rifle back up to par.

123456...8