Fourth Vector Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You don't seem to care much for the people here," said Abigail. "Why is that?"

Berimund started to laugh as he went back behind his desk. "Have you looked around? Desert landscapes, slaves, people covered head to toe, surely you have to understand why this posting isn't the best. I'd rather be at home with my women with my feet up while one of them pops grapes into my mouth. Yet, here I am."

"It seems that you're the first Swabian we've met in our travels," said Jack. "I'll admit, I haven't heard the best things about your people."

Berimund smiled regardless. "You have to be careful with whom you ask then. Only the strong prosper in Swabia. We have little tolerance for the weak. You seem like a strong man yourself, Jack. With good taste in women," he said while gesturing to Abigail. "You'd probably like it in my country."

"I think I like my own just fine, thank you," said Jack coolly.

"No reason to take offense," said the Swabian. "Swabia isn't perfect, I'll admit that, but it's my home. I'm sure there are things that are equally great and bad about your own, right, Jack?"

"Java does have its faults," he admitted. "But I still have my loyalty to my country first."

"As it should be," said Berimund. "All we can be is loyal subjects to our countries. Faults and all, we are nothing without our own fatherlands. I can tell you understand that instinctively, Jack." Berimund clicked his teeth amusingly before taking the questioning down a different road. "Tell me more about the Javan Empire. Are there many of you?"

"There's enough of us," said Jack concisely. "Your turn, tell me more about this Lord Avila."

Berimund grinned. "Lord Avila is a great man. A great general and an even better statesman. He was instrumental in winning the war on the Nax, personally leading the charge at the final battle."

"The Nax," said Jack. "I've heard of them. Aren't they a tiny island nation? What did they do to earn the wrath of such a powerful empire?"

Berimund's smile dropped as he focused a glare on Jack. "As I stated earlier, Swabia is not a place for the weak. We are a country of strong warriors who take what we want. The Nax had land that we desired, and they weren't strong enough to keep it. So we took it from them. Isn't that the way of nature, Jack? The strong take from the weak? Are we all not bound to nature's unyielding laws?"

"Where I come from, the strong have a responsibility to protect the weak," said Jack as he crossed his arms. "To shelter them and keep them safe. It's a moral obligation that runs deep into who we are as a people."

"What a pity then," sneered Berimund. "Perhaps the nations of Java and Swabia may not be friends moving forward. Especially if we can't agree upon our . . . moral duties."

"If that's the side you find yourselves on, then perhaps we'll be at odds moving forward."

Jack watched as Berimund's nostrils flared in anger. "Lord Avila will be most disappointed to hear of this news. We finally meet someone from beyond the Vector, and they seem to suffer from the same narrow-minded outlook on the world as some of the other, lesser peoples in the Vector."

"Perhaps this Lord Avila needs to step carefully in this area of the world," suggested Jack. "Perhaps there is now someone here who can stand up to aggressors who try to threaten those who can't fight for themselves."

"You'd be wise not to speak so carelessly about the most powerful warlord within a thousand miles," said Berimund. "I've seen men lose their tongues for much less."

Jack opened his mouth to respond, but before he could get another word out, he heard a small disturbance behind him. Vera had wandered over to the partition and stuck her head through, no doubt trying to find where he and Abigail went. Once her eyes rested on him, she smiled. "There you are, Jack. We thought we lost you." She slipped through the room as her blonde hair swung freely, her headgear having been removed.

Berimund's eyes nearly bulged out in anger. "What is the meaning of this? How dare you bring this Galician witch into my presence?"

As soon as the words were spoken, Vera turned her attention to the envoy and her expression changed from shock to confusion to anger in the matter of seconds. She glared at the Swabian as her hands planted firmly on her hips.

Jack looked back and forth between them. "Do you two know each other?"

Berimund laughed maliciously. "If you've met one Galician, you've met them all, Jack. A bunch of tiresome meddlers is what they are. Always sticking their noses in other people's affairs. They can't let go of the fact that they are no longer the sole power in this part of the world and it's rankled them ever since. Isn't that right, witch?"

Vera grabbed his arm and squeezed tightly. "Come on, Jack. We need to go. Now!"

"You aren't traveling with this woman, are you, Jack? I'll give you a free piece of advice—ditch her. Galicians are more trouble than they're worth. All they do is make hassles for you. You'll find your life much worse off than before they entered it. If you like, I know a certain slaver who might pay handsomely for his next concubine!"

Jack felt his anger rising at each successive word from the Swabian envoy. Feeling his pulse begin to race, he walked forward until he was right against the face of the man. "She's not for sale. I'd choose your words more carefully if I were you."

Berimund's face twitched. "You'd be wise to take my warning. You look like a man who appreciates history. Why don't you ask your little friend what happened during the Sack of Dagobern. During the Fourth Galician War. In that answer, you'll find the true character of the Galician people, Jack."

"I've seen enough of their character to know when to trust my gut," said Jack. "I'll trust that over the words of someone who would willingly participate in slavery."

Berimund's lip curled up in a sneer as he gripped the sword at his waist. "Spoken like a true Galician. Perhaps you were meant for each other. Maybe I should just leave the witch to you. She'll destroy you in enough time anyway. They can't help themselves. Look at their pathetic country now, a shriveled wreck of its former greatness. That's what happens when you're populated by a bunch of busybodies with more blonde hair than brain cells."

"If you say one more word about her or her people like that again, I'll take your sword and cut you to pieces with it," said Jack quietly.

"Go ahead and take it," hissed Berimund. "Try it. It'll be the last stupid thing you ever do."

Before Jack could respond, the tent partition was pulled away and a very angry-looking Andalucian rushed over to get between Jack and Berimund.

"What is the meaning of this? What's going on?" said the Andalucian, firmly planting his hands on his hips.

Berimund's eyes flickered over to the man before returning to Jack. "Why, I was just greeting Commander Easterbrook, and we were discussing his arrival in Andalucia, Bathal. It seems there's much our cultures can exchange with one another."

"I don't recall giving you permission to treat with the clan chief's guests," said Bathal coldly.

Berimund snarled and looked at the Andalucian with daggers in his gaze. "I don't need permission. You forget your place, lackey!"

Bathal slinked back several steps. "Even still. You will not cause trouble in my cousin's lands. Remember the agreement," he hissed finally.

A spark of recognition passed through Berimund's eyes before he turned to face Jack once more, a thin smile appearing on his lips. "This is the end of our encounter today, Jack Easterbrook. You may not find me so welcoming on our next meeting."

"Good," said Jack. "Then I'll look forward to a proper instruction on manners when that happens." He enjoyed the look of anger in the Swabian's eyes before he turned and led Vera out of the separate partition and back out into the main waiting room. Behind him, Greg and Abigail followed, not stopping until they were on the other side of the grand tent.

"I can see that Heron and Kat weren't kidding with their descriptions of the Swabians," said Greg finally. "No wonder everyone dislikes them."

"And that was just one of them," said Jack. "Can you imagine a whole country?"

"This is an interesting development though," said Abigail. "Not the first time we've heard this Lord Avila's name and now we run into his own envoy here on the island. Not exactly auspicious and it's more proof that there is a plot afoot by the Swabians, possibly at getting local dominance."

"In this case, I think the Andalucians are just unwitting allies," said Jack. "We should get word back to Heron as well. If this Lord Avila has his own envoys here in Andalucia, it's not a good sign for Sorella."

Abigail nodded. "I'll get word back to the ship as soon as we're out of here."

"Let's just hope this Bathal doesn't keep us waiting for too much longer," added Greg.

It was another five minutes before Bathal once again emerged from seemingly nowhere, showing up practically right on top of them and surprising the group. If Jack had expected a proper greeting to the lands of theMuthada, he was soon disappointed.

"I don't know what kind of game you people are playing," started Bathal while crossing his arms in disapproval. "But stumbling into just any room in the clan chief's quarters is strictly forbidden by Andalucian custom! We've sent men into the mines for lesser offenses!"

Jack tried to turn his diplomatic side back on. "We did not mean to cause offense to your clan chief. Forgive our ways, we are not from your lands. We are from the land of Java—"

"I know where you are from and where you are going," interrupted Bathal with a dismissive wave. "Frankly, I couldn't care less about who you are. You need to get going through these lands as quickly as possible."

Jack turned to look at Greg before resuming his glance at the Andalucian. "That's our plan. You see, we are here to honor the ancient custom of offering a prayer of good fortune to your clan chief. We didn't want to travel through your lands without offering the most basic of gratitude for doing so. We also need help in locating a friend of ours who we believe was sold as a slave by mistake."

"You'll find no help here for that," said Bathal coldly. "Slavery is our way of life. If someone gets sold by mistake, tough luck. Have their parents create a replacement and do your best to forget about them. If they were purchased legally, you have no recourse."

"That's the part we're here to dispute," said Jack, feeling his anger starting to rise again. "This woman was taken from an unarmed trading vessel on its way to Picardy. There was no reason why it was to be attacked."

"Do you know how many ways we come across slaves?" interrupted Bathal. "The method doesn't matter. When they arrive on Andalucian soil in chains, they're slaves. There are no exceptions to this law. As I said, you're best to forget about yourfriend."

The way he emphasized the last word had Jack gritting his teeth. Abigail put a calming hand against his arm, no doubt sensing the tension.

"Fine," seethed Jack through his lips. "Then we'll give our offering and be on our way."

"You will do no such thing," said Bathal as he shook his head. "You are to be on your way out of theMuthada clan lands right away. There is no need for you to speak to our clan chief."

Jack blinked in confusion. "But we have stopped here just to complete the custom."

"That custom is not needed at this time," said Bathal. "My cousin Adulis is a busy man and he's declined to see you. Be off and on your way. As a last piece of advice before you leave—make haste through our lands. The hand that welcomes you today could wield the dagger tomorrow."

With that, Bathal turned away from the group and started his march away, leaving the rest of them lingering in sheer confusion. It was a bizarre turn of events. After all, why bring them to the very tent of the clan chief if he had no intention of meeting with them?

"Something isn't right about this," said Greg. "My gut feeling is that something is up and it involves the Swabian in some way."

"We should get back to the men and get moving on the southern road," said Jack. "If we are no longer welcome here, I don't want to stick around for a minute longer than I have to."

"Okay, let's go."

The four of them left the clan chief's tent in a hurry, walking quickly through the oasis settlement until they came across soldiers guarding the perimeter. They were let through with an apathetic nod, finding the camp of the marines just a hundred yards away, with most of them sitting on the ground and watching the Andalucians.

Right as they reached the safety of the marines, Vera tapped against Jack's shoulder. When he turned to look at her, he found the start of tears in her eyes.

"What's wrong, Vera?"

"I just wanted to say thank you for sticking up for me back there," said Vera as she wiped her eyes. "I'm not really used to anyone looking out for me, at least since my father died, but I really appreciate how you stood up to that asshole for me."

Jack smiled and pulled her in for a hug. "You're practically like family to me, Vera. I wasn't going to let someone like that talk ill about you in front of me. Especially someone who doesn't even know you."

"They are a savage people," whispered Vera against his chest. "I hope you can see now why everyone in this part of the world tries to avoid them."

"You know, I was withholding my judgment of them until we actually met one. Oh, I was still angry with what happened to you and Kat and what we've heard, but I thought there might be a chance they could be misunderstood, especially if I met one," said Jack before shaking his head. "If the whole country is just like that one, then I know which side I stand on."

Vera sniffed and looked up at him. "He was rather mild for some of the ones I've had the misfortune of meeting."

Jack started to chuckle. "I guess we'll just have to do our best to avoid them for now on. But for now, we need to get moving to the south and get to theNumratha lands."

-------

Back at Quiller's Cove, Luke headed below deck on theValiant, walking back to his quarters. It had been a long day trying to get the ship fully restocked and refueled for their new mission. He had personally overseen the polonium refueling, making sure they would have enough of the mineral for the next few months of sailing. With all the work, he was exhausted, and he looked forward to a little down time, especially since Kim didn't have a watch tonight.

Luke started to grin the more his mind lingered on that thought. Usually when she didn't have a watch, she would sneak into his quarters to wait for him and was almost always in various stages of undress. That would be much needed tonight and as he reached his quarters, he looked forward to whatever stage she'd be in on the other side of the door.

Yet as Luke entered his quarters, darkness greeted him. Flicking on the light, there wasn't a single other soul there, causing a look of worry to develop on his face.This isn't like her.

Turning around and closing the door, he walked the short distance to her own quarters. It was late in the evening, and despite there still being a few other sailors around, he managed to go quietly until he was outside her door, offering a firm knock once he was ready.

"Come in."

Kim smiled briefly when she saw it was him before returning her attention back to the order that was on her desk. She held her head with both hands, and Luke could tell instantly that something was up.

"I'm surprised you're not in my quarters," said Luke as soon as the door was shut. "Did you have to pick up the watch tonight or something?"

Kim took a deep breath and shook her head. "No. It was just . . . a challenging day."

Luke came to sit right across from her desk. "Was anything in particular making it more challenging than other days?"

Kim sighed and brushed some of her dark-red hair out of her face. "Just the usual, I suppose. It was just getting to me more than usual."

"What is? Our new orders?"

She nodded. "It's nothing though, Luke. Let's not worry about it right now."

"Well, if it's bugging you, we should probably talk about it."

"It is and it isn't," she said cryptically. "I'm sorry, you must think I'm being strange right now."

"Right now?" asked Luke with a laugh. Kim raised an eyebrow at the tease.

"Stop it," she said with a giggle. "I'm just a little apprehensive about going back out again. Especially when we don't know what's waiting for us out there."

"A bunch of cowardly Occitanians are waiting for us," said Luke playfully. "Just waiting for us to find them and blast their ships out of the water."

Kim started to laugh. "Forget I mentioned anything. I should have known I couldn't have a serious conversation about it with you."

"Okay, okay, I'll try to be serious," he said while laughing. "Let's talk. What's really bothering you?"

Kim pushed back from her chair and went to her bed, sliding over the covers and making just enough room for him. She patted the seat as his invitation and he soon joined her. She waited until he was seated until she snuggled in close to him, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"Is this what you wanted? Just to be close to me?" he whispered quietly.

"Somewhat, although I felt like I was being foolish about it," she said.

"Why foolish?"

"I just . . . don't know what will happen when we get back out there. Even with our reinforcements, they still outnumber us. I'm just nervous of anything happening to us. Or you."

Luke caressed her outer thigh tenderly. "Nothing is going to happen to us. We'll find them, sink them, and win. You don't need to be upset about it. This is what we're trained to do."

Kim sniffled and brought her hand to her face. "That didn't quite happen that way in Sorella. I still remember the sight of you nearly getting killed by that explosion, Luke. You don't know what that did to me to watch that happen."

"What do you mean? I'm all right," he said. "I'm fully healed now."

She shook her head. "You don't understand. One step closer and you may not be here right now. Don't you understand why that upsets me so much? What if I lost you?"

"You didn't though," he argued gently. "I'm still here. I'm not leaving you, Kim."

"Just the thought of you not being here with me just kills me, Luke," she said quietly. "You don't know how much I need you."

He smiled softly and pressed a kiss to her lips. "It's as much as I need you, if not more. I'm not going anywhere. You'll always have me."

She finally met his eyes. "You're sure about that? Do you really mean it?"

"None whatsoever. You know as well as I do that we belong together. I'd do anything possible to stay here with you, even if that means surviving death."

She playfully swatted his chest. "You're impossible sometimes, you know that? But it doesn't change anything." Kim took a deep breath before she spoke again. "I still love you."

Luke locked his eyes with her. "You . . . love me?"

She nodded as her expression turned vulnerable. "God help me, I do. I love you, Luke."

He reached out to caress her face before placing a soft kiss against her lips. "How did we find ourselves here? This was supposed to be simple, no-stings-attached sex," he said with a chuckle. "What happened?"

"Like I know," she said with a giggle. "You were just supposed to be good in bed!"

"That I still am," he growled.

She started to laugh. "No complaints here, baby. But, I don't know. Somewhere in all those late-night trysts, I feel like something real started to develop. It really ceased just being sex for me a long time ago, if we're being honest."

123456...9