Fourth Vector Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Even with the quick pace, it still felt like that hour's journey took a long time. Jack constantly fretted about being apart from the army, yet this was one meeting that required his presence. He just hoped he still had enough time to do this and get back before the next attack.

It wasn't until they came into a small gully cut deep into the rock wall that Jack could finally see the coast. He led the rest of the group through the gully to the sand on the other side, emerging onto a narrow strip of beach.

And his mouth dropped open almost immediately.

Just out to sea, not more than a thousand yards out, were warships of the Javan Empire. Jack watched as the roaring dragon banner of Java whipped around in the breeze alongside the small armada of ships that had parked just off the coast.

For someone whose back was just against the wall, it made for a beautiful sight.

"They're here," he said with a firm grin. "Luke is back."

He used his command radio to signal their arrival to the task force, and soon a series of launch boats could be seen taking off from every large ship. What was even better was that not only did he have theValiant back—he now had two more heavy cruisers to add to his task force.

Jack caught sight of Luke and Kim as they came ashore in the rough surf, their arms held up high as they waved in greeting. He nearly ran toward the waves to meet them halfway, a full grin plastered on his face at the sight of his two old friends.

"We heard you needed reinforcements," called out Luke just as soon as he hopped off the launch boat.

"You have no idea how happy I am to see you both again," said Jack with a chuckle. The two men collided where the water met the sand, and Jack patted his back heartily. He'd truly missed the other man.

"You don't look like you're doing too bad," said Luke with a grin. "And you have a hell of a tan too. Have you been on vacation?"

Jack started to laugh. "I've been fighting a war here while you sail around the ocean, you know."

"Well now there we're back, it's time for us to win it!"

Jack patted his back one more time and then turned to Kim, who also came in for a big hug. "So good to see you too, Kim."

"And you, Jack. You've been well?"

"Not too bad although we have much to catch up on. How about you?" he asked before giving the both of them a knowing look. "How about the both of you?"

They looked at each other before looking back at Jack with matching grins. "We're doing just fine," said Kim as she touched Luke's hand reassuringly.

"Those are some mighty fine ships you brought with you," said Jack while he pointed out to sea.

"I thought you might like those, Jack," said Luke. "We brought you theValiant as well as two of the finest Javan warships out there—the cruisersStardust andHorton, fresh off of enemy action at Quiller's Cove. Not to mention, we brought you three more destroyers as well to round off the force."

"I'd heard that theStardust was the one to take down the Occie battleship," said Jack. "Think she can do it again?"

"I bet you she can. And if you still doubt me, I'll let you ask her commander." Luke pointed to the other launch boats now coming ashore.

The first to come ashore a man about ten years older than Jack. The commander had salt-and-pepper hair and a stern look that showed he was ready to get to business. The man's face was known to Jack, having served with him when he was just out of the academy on a Javan destroyer namedBennett.

"Mike Cutter, it's been too long since I last saw you," said Jack, offering his hand to the man.

"Jack, I see you've been making a name for yourself since you left theBennett," said Mike, shaking his hand firmly. Mike wasn't one that smiled often, but when he did, it was something you remembered. And Mike rewarded him with a grin at that point while he savored the feeling of their reunion.

"Welcome to the Fourth Vector, Mike. Or more specifically, welcome to Andalucia."

Mike looked around and made an unimpressed face. "Not the friendliest country. Who leads here?"

"I do, believe it or not. I'm actually the king here," said Jack.

Mike gave him a shocked look. "King? You?"

"It's a long story, Mike."

"One that you'll have to tell me someday."

"For sure, I most definitely will."

"For now, I bring you theStardust. One of the jewels of His Majesty's fleet and sporting nine eight-inch guns, she's a leviathan on the ocean waves. Second to none."

"Except maybe theDestiny," added Jack with a sly grin.

"Aye, Jack," said Mike. "And you command them both."

The small group was soon joined by another commander. He was easily the tallest of all of them, and only a few years older than Jack. His small, dark eyes watched all of them as he came in for his greeting, and he was the only commander there that Jack had not met before. He was joined by another man, a silver-streaked veteran who had the look of a marine written all over his face.

"Commander Jack Easterbrook, I'm Commander Pete Dawson of theHorton," introduced the man while giving Jack a salute and a firm handshake.

"Welcome to Andalucia, Pete. I was just telling the other commanders that your task force is a sight for sore eyes," said Jack.

Pete let out a low, barking laugh. "The only ones that are going to be sore soon are the Occies. Your last dispatch mentioned that they were close by?"

"Just up the coast a ways," said Jack. "I have theDestiny swinging out to sea to link up with you. If we can catch up to that force, we'll be on even footing."

"Good," said Pete. "Time to finish the job we started back in Quiller's Cove."

"I heard you're no stranger to fighting battleships, Pete. TheHorton took some damage during that battle, right?"

Pete nodded. "Nothing that we couldn't fix. The men are aching for revenge, I'll tell you that. This should be the perfect opportunity for it."

"I'm sure you'll get your chance," said Jack before he turned back to Luke. "How did Lucas take it with your task force breaking up?"

"Honestly? Not as bad as Admiral Reynolds did. I've been meaning to talk to you about that one, Jack. I think he's got it out for you."

Jack nodded slowly. From what he remembered of Admiral Reynolds, he was one to always do things the proper, by-the-book way. He'd never served under him personally, but had heard stories of those that did. Most other officers chafed under his command, their independence usually clipped in order to portray the perfection that Reynolds claimed.

"No time to focus on that now, but I'm glad that Reynolds saw fit to release you to us," said Jack glibly. "The situation here is deteriorating quickly."

"That's what I'm here for," said the only man who hadn't been introduced yet. The silver marine stepped forward and offered the crispest salute Jack had yet seen. "I'm Major Dustin Culver, and I have the honor of being the senior officer with the 57th Battalion of Javan Marines that's accompanied this fine task force."

Jack grinned. "Major Culver, your men have arrived just at the nick of time."

"Commander, I bring you eight hundred marines of the 57th, organized into four battalions, eight companies, and twenty-four platoons. We've also brought over a full company's worth of men as replacements to your own marine battalion. Last count was one hundred to add to their ranks."

"So you've brought over nine hundred marines to us? Major Culver, I could kiss you," said Jack a little too frankly.

"I'd prefer you didn't, son. My gate don't swing that way," said Dustin with his hands up. Jack could only laugh in reply.

"We surely needed you. We were down to only eighty marines as effectives of our original group of two hundred."

"Only eighty?" asked Luke with a shocked expression. "What the hell's been going on since I left Sorella?"

"A war, Luke. This whole damn country was against us. The only way I could stop it was by killing the original king and taking his spot. But even now, not every clan submits to my authority, and I have Swabians reinforcing them."

Pete gave him a funny look. "Who the hell are the Swabians?"

"And what do you mean by clans?" added Dustin.

"It's a long story. One that I can tell you on the way back to camp. But I'm sure my men will be happy to see you."

"That reminds me, Jack," said Dustin as he fished around for something in his pocket. "Is Major Vaughn around here? I've been told to give him this."

"Major Vaughn is right here," said Greg as he and Kat walked up to the group while the rest of the marine escort hung behind them.

"There he is, you son of a bitch," said Dustin as he broke out in a grin. "I haven't seen your ass since the Desert War. How you been, Greg?"

The both of them embraced like long lost friends. "I haven't been too bad. Just out here on the edge of the world causing trouble."

"Like I knew you would. Anyway, I got something here for you. Something that came all the way from top brass back home," said Dustin as he handed off the dispatch.

Greg gave him a confused look as he unrolled it and read it over quickly. His face went from confusion to shock over the course of about ten seconds. "Is this real?"

"You bet it is, Lt. Colonel Vaughn. Congratulations on your field promotion!" Dustin gave him a hearty smack on the back.

"Wow," said Greg quietly. "I didn't expect this."

"A well-deserved promotion," said Jack as he took in the news. "You've saved our asses enough times that you've earned it. It's about time they recognized your worth."

"And being as I was the highest ranking officer in this force, that now means you're in charge of nearly a regiment's worth of the fiercest warriors in the entire world. Congratulations, Greg!"

Greg still looked a little shell-shocked. "I hope that I can make all of you proud."

"You got a long ways to go but I'm sure you'll get there," joked Dustin before he turned his attention to the only remaining member of the group who hadn't been introduced yet. "And who might this beautiful lady be?"

"This is Kat of Galicia," said Jack as he slipped his arm behind her back. "She's volunteered to be our guide during our mission inside the Vector."

Most of them looked her over several times, taking in her beauty. It wasn't every day that sailors got to see a beautiful woman, as most of the women on their ships could be downright homely at best. Even Kim's beauty was about as best as you could get on a warship, and most of the time, it was hidden behind her uniform. When you added in Kat's lithe body and blonde features, it wasn't hard to see why she so captivated their attention.

"Someday you'll have to tell me where this Galicia place is," said Dustin as he walked a little closer. "But you can call me Dustin."

"A pleasure," she said with a small smile as she slipped her hand into Jack's. The gesture was small but captured the attention of the rest of the men there. Dustin's face, which had lit up so quickly at seeing her, rapidly sagged.

"Ah, I see how it is," said the defeated major.

"Sorry, Dustin," said Kat with a small smile.

"No apologies are required," he said, soon recovering to offer a laugh. "I can see why Jack has taken a liking to you."

Jack gave him an embarrassed look. "It goes a bit further than that. There's a lot that we have to catch you all up on with the status of things in this part of the world. Kat is widely traveled and has a lot of experience with the Swabian Empire, who has been making trouble since we got here."

"Even in Andalucia, Jack?" asked Luke. "They didn't get the hint after we stole the treasury right out from under them in Sorella?"

"It's a bit worse here, believe it or not, Luke. They've been selling slaves here and using them in the country's mines. More slaves to mine means more gold which means more profit back to the Swabians as well as the clans here. We've disrupted that payment to the Swabians when I took the throne, but now they've sent their own soldiers here to try to balance the scales."

"How bad could these Swabians be?" asked Dustin. "Surely they're no match for Javan marines?"

"They're not, but they are the toughest soldiers we've come up against since we've been here," said Greg. "Most of the lands we've been through haven't been too technologically advanced. Even the clans here still rely on bows for the most part, as well as melee weapons once they close the gap. The Swabians have shown the most advanced weaponry since we've been here, even if they are about twenty years behind our own."

"Twenty years?" asked Mike. "How is that possible? They said the Vector was populated with nothing but spear-wielding savages. Are you trying to tell me they have ships like ours?"

"They do. We even sunk a cruiser of theirs on the way to Andalucia. It looked like something that I've trained on but it can still be deadly in the right hands. And with how aggressive this empire is, I'm sure they have plenty of officers willing to use them."

"Might I add as well, Jack," chimed Kat, "they've been on an expansionist bent for the last hundred years. There's a lot driving that empire to expand right now, mostly the quest for new lands to conquer."

"She's right," added Jack. "We've heard all about how they treated a neighboring country called Naxos. Most of them ended up enslaved."

"That's part of what we're fighting for here," said Greg. "Andalucia is a slave society. The Swabians have been trying to reinforce that for their cut of the output of the mines. Jack has started to free some of the slaves here, and we think it's caused a good portion of the uproar."

"Speaking of uproar, what are we up against? How many numbers do the enemy have?" asked Dustin.

"They had about a regiment of the Swabians before the last battle, but they sacrificed a good portion of that in their last attack when they met our defenses head-on."

"How many did they lose?" asked Dustin.

"A good portion. Probably about three hundred if I had to guess," said Greg.

"In addition to that, the two enemy clans in front of us have about twelve hundred combined men left. In addition, we have a few clans that we don't know the status of and are surely moving to reinforce our enemies since they think our position is weak," said Jack.

"So it seems we have a slight advantage in rifles, but in terms of overall men, we might end up being roughly about equal," said Dustin. "Does that seem right?"

"Sounds about right to me," said Greg.

"Hmm, we'll have to think on that one. I'm sure we can find ways to give advantage to our men and take away the only strength they have going for 'em," said Dustin.

Jack nodded. "We don't have long to think on it. If you can start getting the marines off the ships, we can lead you inland. As we were leaving to meet you, the enemy was starting to take their position opposite our defensive line."

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's move out," said Dustin.

It took about a full hour for the entire complement of marines to load up and get moving onto their launch boats to bring them to shore. For almost nine hundred men to pack up and move that distance in such little time really showed the efficiency and the training that the marines had to undergo to become Java's finest warriors. Jack watched as one battalion after another came washing ashore, fully decked out in their equipment, uniforms, and each carrying a deadly NT-12 as they lined up in groups on the beach.

Soon, most of the men of the 57th were almost all lined up while the replacements for Greg's battalion occupied their own position on the beach. In short, it was one of the grandest fighting forces that Jack had ever laid eyes on. Javan marines were worth ten average soldiers, and such a display of fortitude and ferocity was bound to spell trouble for their enemies.

"Impressive showing, Dustin," said Jack as all the men lined up to begin the approach to the main Javan camp.

"The best of the best, sir," said the major. "Just tell us where to go and we'll take care of business."

"I'm going to let Greg start the march to get you back to camp. We had to ride an hour to get to this beach from our current position, and that marching time will be closer to three once you're underway. Greg will lead you there, and Kat and I will catch up to you shortly."

Dustin nodded and then offered a salute. "We'll see you on the road shortly then, sir. Marines! Move out!"

Jack watched as Greg and his escort squad took the lead, and as one body, the entire group of marines began to march up the beach toward the gully.

Jack finally turned to look at Kat. "We may just get out of this yet."

She smiled at him and squeezed his hand. "Remember what I said? I told you we'd find a way out of this. I just knew it."

"Maybe I should start listening to you more often."

Kat playfully poked his ribs. "That would be a start."

Instead of escalating the situation, Jack approached the rest of the naval commanders as soon as the marines were underway.

"What exactly would you like us to do now, Jack?" asked Mike. "I take it there's no way we can offer naval support for this upcoming battle you have?"

Jack shook his head. "Unfortunately not. This battle will be just a little too far inland. However, I'd like for you to link up with theDestiny and theTiger before we start looking for a fight with the Occitanians. Those two ships are still vulnerable even being out to sea. I'd like for you to make contact with Lt. Commander Abigail Wainwright and link up into one force."

"Any idea where exactly the Occies are? I know you mentioned up the coast, but we're working with very crude maps here," said Pete.

Jack pulled a map of the country out from his breast pocket. "We're right here," he indicated, pointing to a spot on the eastern coast just north of the middle of the country. He then moved his finger in a northwesterly manner. "The Occies are up here." Jack then moved his finger due east out to sea. "TheDestiny is out here. I'll let Abigail tell you her current position while you look to link up. Once you're one force, you can go hunting for the Occies."

"Got it," confirmed Mike. "We've been itching to finish the job since we had that first taste of battle back in Quiller's."

"One more thing," said Jack before he let them get underway. "I need to stay ashore to fight this battle. That means one of you three will be in command since all of you have the highest seniority. Asking me to pick between the three of you right now isn't the easiest task, so I'm going to go with the one that I've fought with the longest. Mike, you and I have known each other the longest, but Luke and I have fought together more. For that reason, I'm putting him in charge of the task force until I can return."

If Mike or Pete had any disappointment over the decision, they didn't show it. Instead, both men nodded curtly. They were used to following orders, popular or not.

"That should just about do it. Keep me informed of what happens over the command frequency and happy hunting to all of you," said Jack with one last salute.

All three of them saluted him in turn, and the two heavy cruiser commanders soon got back into their launch boats to go back to their ships, leaving Luke and Kim alone with him and Kat on the beach.

"They may not like serving under the newest Commander in the whole navy, Jack," said Luke with a sly grin.

Jack shrugged. "Like it or not, it's only temporary. I trust your judgment the most right now so they'll have to make the most of it.

"They'll be fine," said Luke. "I've sailed with them for a few weeks now. They're good men, both of them."

"As are you," added Jack. "Be careful out there. Send those Occie assholes to the bottom of the sea."

123456...9